• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfcn

The tag system. I know there are certain parameters that do not let you tag out. But if you are standing there, not defending or attacking and holding the tag button..why doesn't it come out?

JeTmAn81

Ultimoo said:
playing ranked is bad for actual practice though. people still fall for day 1 Sentinel stuff, and j.H from Tron. makes me develop bad habits when I play people who can actually block. loool.

I've found my best matches by searching for Player Match - Any Rank. All the Rookies and Amateurs who've played 2 games online and 2000 offline spend their time trolling there. I played one of the better Deadpools I've seen this morning. He was very good with his spacing and mixups, used his teleport at appropriate (unexpected) times and even pulled off the teleport malfunction (the explosion pops you up) into air guns hyper at the end of a combo for a K.O. I think he was styling there.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
61uUaXJVz%2BL.jpg

The tag system. I know there are certain parameters that do not let you tag out. But if you are standing there, not defending or attacking and holding the tag button..why doesn't it come out?
It should; if you've been doing other stuff and pushed the button when you couldn't tag, it might not let you under some circumstances, but I don't know what those are.

Someone needs to photoshop the "v" in "vs" into a heart.

kirblar

If you've held it down forever and it won't let you tag, you need to release the button and push it down again. It won't let you start the tag-out "timer" until you are in a situation where you can legitimately tag out.

malfcn

malfcn said:

Got it. For some reason my RT and LT stopped working in my stick. Put in SSF4 and they work now. That cost me a lot of fights. *sulk*

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Chavelo said:
Hey Haunts, what's up with your tag? I always wondered about that...

shit dude tbh I actually forget. some thread in off topic we were talking about Triumphs tag which was Beacon of Hope, and somehow I ended up being Bacon of Hope? It was a while ago and really doesnt mean anything at all. haha

Neki

anyone on PSN GAF want to play? I'll be perusing the usual spot. And by that, I mean playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. :p

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
haunts said:
shit dude tbh I actually forget. some thread in off topic we were talking about Triumphs tag which was Beacon of Hope, and somehow I ended up being Bacon of Hope? It was a while ago and really doesnt mean anything at all. haha

That sounds just about as relevant as my tag...

DR2K

Banned
Dahbomb said:
If those are your criteria for dumb then you need to write a whole book on stuff that should be nerfed in MVC3.

Also loops are finite and only last as much as the hit stun allow them to. Numerous characters in this game have legit loops although some of them like Wesker's air loop don't last for more than 2 reps.

I don't want to get rid of all the dumb, just the really dumb.

shaowebb

SolarPowered said:
Trying to keep Sentinel busy in it's flying state so that it might drop close enough to the ground and corner for a cold star assist. I couldn't build nearly enough meter with Morrigan, I have no hyper that can beat Hard drive, Hsien-Ko can't put pressure against frying pan(f.H and H anki hou might will do that) and all three of my characters could get killed in a single X-factorless combo if any of them has 80%(or less) of their health left.

I think I may need to rework my entire approach.

Sent player here. I agree with what was posted earlier about not wanting to take on Sentinel in the air. He may be the best character at Air stuff in the game with characters like Ironman and Magneto who have some stuff right up there with him. Problem is Sentinel does NOT have a high level of execution in the air, has better range up there, more damage, and has a really good Air Hyper.

If you're using jump ins with Hsien Ko on Sentinel you can't use her air dash. I will eat you alive and so will any other sent player. I think it may add a frame or so of delay to blocking once it starts up there or something because just about anything I do to one connects.

Also throwing Soul fist fireballs won't really do much considering his beam and drones can handle those. The trick to Sentinel with Hsien Ko is to , this'll sound crazy, BAIT his super armor moves. It's like fighting Hulk. If you jump in on him block and punish either the launcher the skillet or the crouching B because once he throws one, if it didn't connect he's gonna eat it from Hsien Ko's crouching knifey flaily funtime (doesn't know name of move or input).

Air throwing Sentinel works for a lot of people too, but to be honest I haven't gotten air thrown a whole lot with Sentinel because you don't have to take Sentinel all the way up into throw range in the air to stop someone. He has the range to push you off, or beat you to the punch and punish your jump in. Its just jump skillet maniacs that you can hit there. Better Sent players play more footsies now and try to jump away from you if you get close and force you to throw moves they can block into crouching B then launcher combos. Skillet is good but a ton of people know how to either get outta the way on it or where to be to block it (crouch blocking is a bad idea in this game on a lot of stuff).

Best bet for you is bait his armored shit because you know its coming and punish it. It'll require deep jumping but it works. If he's not attacking though it'll get scary because he's GOING to either command grab or wait for you to throw BS so he can nail crouching B or intercept with hop up skillet or launcher. If he runs and WONT fight back, back off and see if you can just chuck something to build up some meter and go gold.

On a different note...

Has anyone else noticed the new fightpads out for the 360 and PS3 with the microswitches? They seem to be clone modeling the MVC3 fight pad that came out with that extended left side that lends better grip to overhand players.

Anyone tried one yet? I'd love to know how they hold up.

PDP fight pad $39.99

Slightyly cheaper than this sexy marvel number but looks like it may be built identically

Dahbomb said:

That is one helluva great link for opening up how to make C.Viper work so well. I think the best and easiest trick is the one it mentions on summon assist, go in for jump kick and once they block both slam burning kick and watch it cross them up like a champ. Thats going to open a whole lotta folks up. That and the delicious "moulin rouge airdance" that vid showed after that. So much mobility to that trick and it'll make folks confused as hell because they'll have no idea when her jump setups are ending opening them up even more for that first trick I mentioned.

High level of execution for her, but those basics there may be enough for most to finally start collapsing people's teams with her simply because they are such powerful approaches to use. More work than a Wolvie dive kick, but way harder to deal with and easily do-able.

malfcn said:
I suck at this game. How do you read what is going on so quickly?

Shoryuken and Iplaywinner are big things, and the guidebook for this game is actually really good for learning move priorities and invincibles. Its pretty solid stuff for the most part even after all the patching. Main thing I've done is watch any streams of tournies and listened to the announcers while watching for what people use the most in either combos or approaches.
Approaches for the most part are the biggest things to watch. It doesn't matter how swag your combos are if you can't figure out how to set one up or if you may drop it during clutchtime attempts to nail it.
Also you should really watch the Viscant interview with Mike Ross and Gootecks. He has some of the DEEPEST knowledge ever about this game and tells a lot of things.
Marvel 1.0 droppin knowledge

mr. puppy said:
why does justin even bother with storm? he's so bad with her and drops tons of combos.

I think Wong used Storm in that matchup just for phoenix when she turn into Dark. I could be so wrong. His earlier matches he used She/Wolverine/Akuma. I was trying to hear the commentators talk about that.

LordAlu

Ferrio said:
We need Rogue in this game. One kiss and phoenix can't Dark Phoenix.
Or make it so it drains a bar or two of meter (but doesn't give Rogue any), so if you can nab them with it she can't transform unless they build the meter back up? I'd love me some Rogue :)

Thank you USD and Haunts for the heads up tonight..I always look forward to watching some stream on wednesday nights when I get home from work...

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Can someone explain some notation for me please? I understand that A = light B = med and = heavy but when I'm looking up combos sometimes it says b2 c2 and I have no idea what the 2 is suppose to mean.

FootNinja said:
Can someone explain some notation for me please? I understand that A = light B = med and = heavy but when I'm looking up combos sometimes it says b2 c2 and I have no idea what the 2 is suppose to mean.
I think it's that dumb keypad notation.

2 = down, etc.

mr. puppy

Banned
sf2fanatic said:
I think Wong used Storm in that matchup just for phoenix when she turn into Dark. I could be so wrong. His earlier matches he used She/Wolverine/Akuma. I was trying to hear the commentators talk about that.

someone mentioned that earliar, and i think both of you are right.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Professor Beef said:
I only learned about it a year ago. It's a pain in the ass to read.
I prefer QCF/DP/etc type abbreviations for commonly-used motions, but it's just flat-out simpler to describe obscure one-off shit like the TvC wavedash in number notation (656569) than any other method.

Anth0ny

malfcn said:
I suck at this game. How do you read what is going on so quickly?

It's like watching fights in Dragon Ball Z. At first, you won't know what's going on cause it's simply too fast. Eventually, you'll get it.

Wednesday Night Fights is returning? Awesome, and I can't wait to see ChrisG blow up people with Ryu.

Speaking of WNF, have any of you guys heard of a player by the name of LLND? He runs Chris, Hsien-Ko,Ammy, and he really makes it work. He has such a unique team and he puts in work, and he even came close to beating Viscant before Viscant won.

http://www.frame-advantage.com/Search.aspx?player=1243

He's a CVS2 and TVC player I hear. Not bad at all.

Dahbomb

Luckydude23 said:
Wednesday Night Fights is returning? Awesome, and I can't wait to see ChrisG blow up people with Ryu.

Speaking of WNF, have any of you guys heard of a player by the name of LLND? He runs Chris, Hsien-Ko,Ammy, and he really makes it work. He has such a unique team and he puts in work, and he even came close to beating Viscant before Viscant won.

http://www.frame-advantage.com/Search.aspx?player=1243

He's a CVS2 and TVC player I hear. Not bad at all.
Yes we have heard of/seen LLND. Other players have used Chris + Hsien Ko combination before to great success (JWong and Airtola I believe).

Also ChrisG is East Coast dude... WNF happens in the West Coast. Unless you meant Guard Crush.

Rare footage of Combofiend using his OLD SKOOL team in MVC3 (Magneto/Iron Man/Sentinel).
<-- and sucking ass. :D

shaowebb said:
Sent player here. I agree with what was posted earlier about not wanting to take on Sentinel in the air. He may be the best character at Air stuff in the game with characters like Ironman and Magneto who have some stuff right up there with him. Problem is Sentinel does NOT have a high level of execution in the air, has better range up there, more damage, and has a really good Air Hyper.

If you're using jump ins with Hsien Ko on Sentinel you can't use her air dash. I will eat you alive and so will any other sent player. I think it may add a frame or so of delay to blocking once it starts up there or something because just about anything I do to one connects.

Also throwing Soul fist fireballs won't really do much considering his beam and drones can handle those. The trick to Sentinel with Hsien Ko is to , this'll sound crazy, BAIT his super armor moves. It's like fighting Hulk. If you jump in on him block and punish either the launcher the skillet or the crouching B because once he throws one, if it didn't connect he's gonna eat it from Hsien Ko's crouching knifey flaily funtime (doesn't know name of move or input).

Air throwing Sentinel works for a lot of people too, but to be honest I haven't gotten air thrown a whole lot with Sentinel because you don't have to take Sentinel all the way up into throw range in the air to stop someone. He has the range to push you off, or beat you to the punch and punish your jump in. Its just jump skillet maniacs that you can hit there. Better Sent players play more footsies now and try to jump away from you if you get close and force you to throw moves they can block into crouching B then launcher combos. Skillet is good but a ton of people know how to either get outta the way on it or where to be to block it (crouch blocking is a bad idea in this game on a lot of stuff).

Best bet for you is bait his armored shit because you know its coming and punish it. It'll require deep jumping but it works. If he's not attacking though it'll get scary because he's GOING to either command grab or wait for you to throw BS so he can nail crouching B or intercept with hop up skillet or launcher. If he runs and WONT fight back, back off and see if you can just chuck something to build up some meter and go gold.
Hsien-Ko is just too slow to get in there on time against a good sent player. If she were faster her crap damage wouldn't be much of a bother at all. She might have a chance if she were paired with the right assist though. Her anki hou game can also get extremely annoying for some people.
haunts said:
Those two should just get married already.
Dahbomb said:
Dat MODOK was good stuff. He is the first Modok I've seen that can connect more than five hits. He looks fun as fuck lol.

His Hyper Psyonic blaster must do some crazy good damage on X-factor.

mr. puppy

Banned
SolarPowered said:
I just saw the grand match with Justin Wong and Mine.

Wolverine ain't ever going away...

phoenix goes away, wolverine gets figured out, in two months you all will complain about something else.

mr. puppy said:
phoenix goes away, wolverine gets figured out, in two months you all will complain about something else.
Who is complaining?

I'm just saying that he ain't going away. Some people said he could be MvC3's Iceman, but that is probably not going to be the case. Stop trying to read into statements so much.

Dahbomb

SolarPowered said:
I just saw the grand match with Justin Wong and Mine.

Wolverine ain't ever going away...
In Minh/Mine's defense, Magneto/Taskmaster are BAD match ups against Wolverine especially Taskmaster. Taskmaster couldn't use his counter option against him (and neither could his Wesker) because he was on a Phoenix team. Magneto needs something like Drones to keep Wolverine in check (random fact but moves that slide forward like Magneto's slide or Phoenix's slide at close range can dodge the Berserker SLash cross up).

Plus whenever Phoenix got snapped in, Mine/Minh got so nervous that he forgot to throw out fireballs to cover the raw tag. This was a huge strategic error on his part and it's what causes the onslaught of snapbacks to occur. If you watched Tokido vs JWong you will know that Tokido covered his tags with fireballs to prevent further snapbacks.

Mine/Minh choked pretty badly in the grand finals even though he was the one who put JWong in loser's to begin with. I will however agree that ignoring any nerfs/revisions to the game he is here to stay and he will dominate.

What's there to figure out about Wolverine that hasn't been figured out about him since day 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom