• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

smurfx

get some go again
syztem said:
I'm running best friends + wesker.

He used Dante/Haggar/Phoenix and Dante/Wesker/Haggar. The one game I lost was to his phoenix team, and it was really because I kept running into Haggar.

Random side note, I've noticed every time I face someone whose 3rd or above they have Tron or Haggar on their team.

edit: not a brag post, i'm pretty bad, genuinely confused about how people progress so far
so i'm assuming there were lots of berserker slash and tatsu assist shenanigans?

Chavelo

For the new page.

'ASSIST ME!' Featuring Jill Valentine Part 1 by Maximillian
MC V.DOOM said:
"You use Phoenix and have a shitty haircut."

Dliw0.gif

Fuckin' A, man. That made me cringe... that's like a kick in the balls in a gentleman's fight. :O

Smurf - Hey, sorry for not accepting the request yesterday... Had to wake up early. :-( I'm free (HA!) today, tho. :D

syztem said:
I perfected a "Master Lord" last night. I was then matched with him 3 more times, going 3-1 total...

I don't understand how I am completely stuck at rank 9 but people get that high and aren't REALLY good.... how does this happen? I realize rankings don't "mean anything" but I'm pretty sure you have to beat a lot of people consistently to get that high. How do relatively bad players make it that far?
Maybe he was just letting one of his friends play.

I do this all the time with my friend and I bet it is a huge mindfuck when they get three straight wins I crush them 5+ times afterwards lol.

Azure J

Max wins for life with that one Wesker line:

"I killed Megaman because he didn't cut me a check."

Holy. Shit. :lol

BTW, You so need to do Dante, Morrigan or (for the laughs) Hsien-Ko.

Edit: OK, that sequence kicked into some serious fucking high gear right after the first Doom response, but then Doom blew it up with the Phoenix line.

How do you not vote Doom after that? :lol

syztem

Neo Member
smurfx said:
so i'm assuming there were lots of berserker slash and tatsu assist shenanigans?

yep, and lots of dive kicking into lariat (ugh)

you would think a master lord with like 4000 total matches would be familiar with this... it's not as if I'm running something unique or different

Does anyone know how exactly ranking up/down works? Obviously winning raises your rank, losing lowers.

Does your opponents rank weigh into it?

Are things like win-streak taken into account?

If i beat a master lord 3x, than lose to a fighter, did I lose all the gain from my wins by losing to lower rank?

syztem

Neo Member
SolarPowered said:
Maybe he was just letting one of his friends play.

I do this all the time with my friend and I bet it is a huge mindfuck when they get three straight wins I crush them 5+ times afterwards lol.

I thought this too, but in ranked? It would seem more logical to let your friends play in player matches.

Definitely possible though.

AzureJericho said:
Max wins for life with that one Wesker line:

"I killed Megaman because he didn't cut me a check."

Holy. Shit. :lol

BTW, You so need to do Dante, Morrigan or (for the laughs) Hsien-Ko.

Edit: OK, that sequence kicked into some serious fucking high gear right after the first Doom response, but then Doom blew it up with the Phoenix line.

How do you not vote Doom after that? :lol
I've always secretly wanted to see someone play Lei Lei. I bet all kinds of stupid shit could happen with her only speaking in Mandarin/Cantonese. It'd be hilarious to hear her asking(with subs of course) why she got so bad only to have everyone staring back at her because they can't understand.

It would be like an episode of Arrested Development full of MAHVEL lol.
syztem said:
I thought this too, but in ranked? It would seem more logical to let your friends play in player matches.

Definitely possible though.
It is possible, but sometimes people get by on Cheap gimmicks is all. Set the rank search settings to any and even some spammy fool can keep his rank for a while.

I think people of different ranks are definitely worth more too. This is probably why there were so many first lords in the first week of the game. All it took was a couple of twenty win streaks with 2nd and third lords sprinkled everywhere to make someone a first lord.

Doing it now would be quite the feat.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
syztem said:
yep, and lots of dive kicking into lariat (ugh)

you would think a master lord with like 4000 total matches would be familiar with this... it's not as if I'm running something unique or different

Does anyone know how exactly ranking up/down works? Obviously winning raises your rank, losing lowers.

Does your opponents rank weigh into it?

Are things like win-streak taken into account?

If i beat a master lord 3x, than lose to a fighter, did I lose all the gain from my wins by losing to lower rank?

The ranking system is very momentum based. If you're on a winning streak your rank tends to increase almost exponentially and the reverse is also true. If you lose a bunch of times in a row, your rank will plummet. As far as I can tell there is no bigger EXP gain for winning against a higher ranked opponent. If rank means a lot to you it would be safer to stick to Ranked Same matches, in which you'll face anything in between Fighter and 5th Lord. Once you hit 4th Lord you only face the higher ranks if you stick to Ranked Same matches.

Azure J

SolarPowered said:
I've always secretly wanted to see someone play Lei Lei. I bet all kinds of stupid shit could happen with her only speaking in Mandarin/Cantonese. It'd be hilarious to hear her asking(with subs of course) why she got so bad only to have everyone staring back at her because they can't understand.

It would be like an episode of Arrested Development full of MAHVEL lol.

I imagined something similar happening where she'd be thinking to herself "I was so fucking godlike in Vampire Saviour" with her "reminicing" on how she fought in it using footage from VS while the viewers are looking at her like "this chick is creepy" due to her being lost in thought and unable to speak a lick of English.

Fanfiction time over now, what's the next big Marvel stream I should be looking forward to?

syztem

Neo Member
Nils said:
The ranking system is very momentum based. If you're on a winning streak your rank tends to increase almost exponentially and the reverse is also true. If you lose a bunch of times in a row, your rank will plummet. As far as I can tell there is no bigger EXP gain for winning against a higher ranked opponent. If rank means a lot to you it would be safer to stick to Ranked Same matches, in which you'll face anything in between Fighter and 5th Lord. Once you hit 4th Lord you only face the higher ranks if you stick to Ranked Same matches.

you're reaffirming how i thought it worked.

I wonder does overall win/loss stack into it at all? like do i need to work back to .500 before it'll let me rank up, or is that irrelevant?

I can't recall seeing players with negative win/loss higher than 9th, but I have a terrible memory so that doesn't mean much.

but I use Sentinel to build meter on my Sentinel/Ammy/Phoenix team though!
Is Amaterasu on Bloom? ;-)

Yeah, I can use Sentinel on point and call Dark Harmonizer all day if I want to run away, but he needs to actually do damage, because 5 bars with Dormammu isn't quite 5 bars with Phoenix, haha.

Sentinel on point isn't as bad for a team as Phoenix on point. Phoenix, while good, basically makes winning the game a coin flip when she's on point (and not a two-headed coin like when she's on anchor). Either she gets hit and dies in one combo or she doesn't.
I know. It's just for bullshitting around.

Hey, it looks like I'm going to TGS! I'm hoping Ultimate is playable on the show floor and I can spend some time with it, so I was wondering- is there any comprehensive move list for the new characters so that I can memorize the commands beforehand? Any help would be appreciated. I saw that crosscouner.tv has lists for the six officially revealed characters so far, but I'm not sure how complete they are.
Check SRK's threads for each character, as well as the official site.

I perfected a "Master Lord" last night. I was then matched with him 3 more times, going 3-1 total...

I don't understand how I am completely stuck at rank 9 but people get that high and aren't REALLY good.... how does this happen? I realize rankings don't "mean anything" but I'm pretty sure you have to beat a lot of people consistently to get that high. How do relatively bad players make it that far?
You just need a positive record to eventually make it to Master Lord. There's a Cosmic Lord with just a 60% win percentage.

Edit: If Max did a Hsien-ko video, it should be a troll where he does nothing but show everyone how to put her Senpu Bu assist to good use.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
syztem said:
you're reaffirming how i thought it worked.

I wonder does overall win/loss stack into it at all? like do i need to work back to .500 before it'll let me rank up, or is that irrelevant?

I can't recall seeing players with negative win/loss higher than 9th, but I have a terrible memory so that doesn't mean much.

I'm a Fifth Lord with around 48% wins, if you start winning a bunch in a row you should see the meter go up rapidly. Your current win percentage won't disqualify you from ranking up. You'll just get there a lot slower than people who win very consistently. In my case I think it took me something like 900 games in total to get up there, whereas I see people with 150 games at Fifth Lord level too, but that's because their spread is like 120-30.

In the same fashion I see people who have around 2000 games at Fighter because they tend to have massive losing streaks. At 9th Lord you should rank up pretty swiftly if you do well in the short term.

syztem

Neo Member
Ok good. I'm around 150-280 right now, so I'm glad I don't need to go 130+ net win/loss before I can move ranks, that would be a little disheartening.

Thanks for the info.

wtf @ Max pronouncing "feral" with a long "e".

Edit: Max, what's the story on the rap? Did you write it, or was it a team effort? Hilarious stuff, regardless.

Zissou

Karsticles said:
wtf @ Max pronouncing "feral" with a long "e".

Even mighty max makes mistakes
holy alliteration batman!
. I can forgive anything given the epic ending exchange.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Thanks guys. The Rap Battle was something I set my goal to complete in this video. Worked directly with Red Rapper for the past few weeks in recording sessions and brainstorming for the best battle between the two. He's a musical genius and came up with the song and most the lyrics. It was my first time ever editing a music video, so I tried to make it as hype as possible.

Coming soon...the full extended cut rap battle.

smurfx

get some go again
Nils said:
i don't know about that. i've gone on 8 to 12 win streaks and my rank doesn't really grow any faster. maybe it grows slower once you get to 1st lord of something.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
smurfx said:
i don't know about that. i've gone on 8 to 12 win streaks and my rank doesn't really grow any faster. maybe it grows slower once you get to 1st lord of something.

At the higher ranks it's not really noticeable as much, like my 5th Lord bar is barely budging but when I was 9th Lord and slightly above it was very pronounced.

Edit: looking closer I can't find anything that corroborates this, so it could have been my imagination. Any info on how the ranking works is hard to find. Another thing that is very obvious is that it likes to pair you up with people that have a similar win percentage if you pick Ranked Same.

smurfx

get some go again
Nils said:
At the higher ranks it's not really noticeable as much, like my 5th Lord bar is barely budging but when I was 9th Lord and slightly above it was very pronounced.
oh yeah at that high of rank you build that meter quick.

Tobe

holy shit i just played this modok/jill/haggar dude and DAMN at the extended air exchange combos with modok . really glad to see character variety from time to time.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Tobe1 said:
holy shit i just played this modok/jill/haggar dude and DAMN at the extended air exchange combos with modok . really glad to see character variety from time to time.
Gamertag wasn't "Beverage55" by any chance, was it?

Tobe

im not having a good marvel day :( specially with all this trish uprising out of nowhere, that character annoys the hell out of me. im not liking the idea of favoring the zoning game in umvc3. :(
i run with a pretty mobile team and i thought of what solar must put up with :(

Machinegunmouse

Neo Member
So, this kinda seemed like the best place to post this...I think. Especially considering I'm not 100% sure what I did.

I think I found some new technology with She-Hulk's TAC glitch...Not positive how I did it though. xD

From the exchange whiff, I've somehow managed to create the effect of a downward aerial swap, without the actual swap. I think there's combo potential here, but I'm having trouble recreating it. =D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG-Y6qnlFL0

Also woooo, first NeoGAF post!

Edit: Also, contrary to what I say in the video, I infact, have no idea what to do.

Machinegunmouse said:
So, this kinda seemed like the best place to post this...I think. Especially considering I'm not 100% sure what I did.

I think I found some new technology with She-Hulk's TAC glitch...Not positive how I did it though. xD

From the exchange whiff, I've somehow managed to create the effect of a downward aerial swap, without the actual swap. I think there's combo potential here, but I'm having trouble recreating it. =D

Edit: Also, contrary to what I say in the video, I infact, have no idea what to do.

Joke post maybe...?

If not here's an explanation. After you launch, quickly do M, S (spikes enemy back to the ground), and while you are falling, do down+H (butt slam), this will hit your opponent who is currently laying on the ground. When the butt slam connects, do an team aerial tag with Up or Down. Since you are so close to the ground, you will land on the ground instead of tagging in a teammate. Then you can continue your combo from there.

Tobe

Machinegunmouse said:

isnt this the regular exchange glitch? which btw is getting patched :(

Machinegunmouse

Neo Member
TestMonkey said:
Joke post maybe...?

If not here's an explanation. After you launch, quickly do M, S (spikes enemy back to the ground), and while you are falling, do down+H (butt slam), this will hit your opponent who is currently laying on the ground. When the butt slam connects, do an team aerial tag with Up or Down. Since you are so close to the ground, you will land on the ground instead of tagging in a teammate. Then you can continue your combo from there.

Nah man, I know how to do the basic thing. Look at the second combo in the video, the one with the really high bounce. It's different from the typical result of the whiffed exchange. There's an incredibly high bounce....I mean, if it's been done before, I haven't seen it, so...sorry for the noise then?

Tobe1 said:
isnt this the regular exchange glitch? which btw is getting patched :(

Nah, this one bounces them significantly higher. I haven't even done a relaunch yet, this is just from the whiffed exchange?

smurfx

get some go again
Tobe1 said:
im not having a good marvel day :( specially with all this trish uprising out of nowhere, that character annoys the hell out of me. im not liking the idea of favoring the zoning game in umvc3. :(
i run with a pretty mobile team and i thought of what solar must put up with :(
i'm coming for you tobe in ultimate. :p

Tobe1 said:
Probably one of the better videos i have recently seen. good shit to haunt and the ipw crew for this amazing video.
lmao @ virtua fighter top comment.

Love that Virtua Fighter comment - great video, so much nostalgia watching those clips, even though I wasn't even there to see some of them the first time!

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Ferrio said:
These should have their own dedicated thread in gaming, just like zero punctuation and the like. Especially this one.

I wouldn't do that for my own videos. But if anyone did chose to do so, I'd do my best to keep it updated with production info/future projects/pictures etc, and would be extremely appreciated.

Top Bottom