• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Dahbomb

Karsticles said:
I think meter-stealing is becoming way too common. As someone who plays a meter-heavy team, I would sometimes rather die than burn a bar of meter with one of my characters. It's just that precious to me. It's a trend that is really more in favor of rushdown. Wolverine doesn't give a crap about how much meter he has. Dormammu does.
Wolverine doesn't care as long as he has more than 1 meter. Below 1 meter he feels very limited.

One of my friends pointed out to me the other day that I would be a much better Phoenix player. I hoard all my meter, even if I can just pump 3 meters into a character to finish them off I don't do it. I like to save LVL3s for the end for clutch situations and XF + LVL3 usually mean instant deaths (plus I do it for the Iron Avenger Swag).

So I started learning regular Phoenix and now my team just goes into autopilot. Wesker/Iron Man/Phoenix. I just play like I normally do and if I fuck up, I got Phoenix in the back. I will probably use team Viscant in UMVC3 if people are less salty over Phoenix because where I am at... Phoenix is banned people get super salty over her.

syztem

Neo Member
Dahbomb said:
I will probably use team Viscant in UMVC3 if people are less salty over Phoenix because where I am at... Phoenix is banned people get super salty over her.

that sucks, people need to relax, she isn't THAT bad

Dahbomb

She's unstable. I have lost against inferior players and I have seen better players lose to inferior Phoenix players all the time. It happens too often and certain team set ups get steamrolled by a Phoenix team. We have decided that Phoenix can be used if she is in 1st or 2nd slot though. :D

One of my friends pointed out to me the other day that I would be a much better Phoenix player. I hoard all my meter, even if I can just pump 3 meters into a character to finish them off I don't do it. I like to save LVL3s for the end for clutch situations and XF + LVL3 usually mean instant deaths (plus I do it for the Iron Avenger Swag).
I used to play this way. I would even not burn meter if it meant saving Dormammu; it was just stupid, and I always ended up with a surplus of meter and doing random Photon Arrays with Doom on anchor because really, what the heck else am I going to do with it?

So I started learning regular Phoenix and now my team just goes into autopilot. Wesker/Iron Man/Phoenix. I just play like I normally do and if I fuck up, I got Phoenix in the back. I will probably use team Viscant in UMVC3 if people are less salty over Phoenix because where I am at... Phoenix is banned people get super salty over her.
That's hilarious. No one would believe you're not a bandwagoner either, which makes it worse.

An update on my team, which is just being used until I can use Firebrand - Phoenix is just there because she plays similarly to Firebrand (minus the teleport thing), and she's helping me play more carefully:
Phoenix (TK Overdrive)/Dormammu (Dark Hole)/Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)

Really, all I do is superjump and fire TK Shots until I have 5 bars. It's absolutely hilarious how few characters can do anything to stop this. Storm, Ryu, etc. players will try to random hyper me, and I don't even care, because they're not getting a second bar to finish the job any time soon. If Phoenix does die, Dormammu comes on screen with 3-4 bars to play with, which usually kills whatever of my opponent's team is left if I handle his matchup properly. If I get 5 bars with Phoenix, I'll let her go Dark so she can build another 5 for Dormammu. If she dies, I don't really care, because it's really a Dormammu team. ;-)

Dormammu with Dark Harmonizer is so hilariously cheap, there are no words for the frustration it causes beyond experiencing it. Against most of the cast, I can just do this:
Purification xx Stalking Flare, call Dark Harmonizer, Purification; repeat this sequence.

The two Purifications plus Dark Harmonizer build about 50% of a bar. If Dormammu comes in with 5 bars starting, I get approximately 1.5 million chip damage out of this, and usually my opponent gets desperate at some point and tries to hyper through the Flare, which does not work with my team, or dashes into a Purification. If I run out of meter, I place Flame Carpet and back dash while calling Dark Harmonizer; every time my opponent gets close I teleport behind him, dash, to the ground, lay Flame Carpet, and repeat. I'll usually do this until I have about 3 meters saved up so I can keep sustained Stalking Flares going. A significant portion of the cast has absolutely no response to this strategy. When I put Firebrand on my team, one of my goals will be learning good snapback setups with him so I can snap in any characters that can handle my Dormammu so I can remove them or beat them down a bit.

Against less mobile opponents, I'll become more confident and stay away from Stalking Flare and focus on traditional keepaway; any mistakes I made instantly get canceled into Chaotic Flame or Stalking Flare. If I face one of the few characters that give this strategy trouble, I'll rush them and down them ASAP with a level 3 hyper, since I have so much meter to spare.

My Dormammu has really evolved since release. From pure keepaway, to pure rushdown, to trying a balance of the two, to never using meter with him (not even to end combos), and now to burning meter constantly to chip out entire teams.

Edit: Phoenix, and Dark Phoenix, are definitely ridiculously good. Even when Viscant's opponents got Phoenix on the screen, he would sometimes kill two whole characters just with her before she went dark, because she's that good. You just can't make a mistake, and she does have a few horrible matchups (Hidden Missiles, Skull).

Also, since I know Dahbomb loves stylish stuff, this is my showoff combo, which I have actually been able to do twice in the last two days, when I am really dominating my opponent (remember, I have tons of meter floating around) with Phoenix on point:
c.LMHS, sj.H, d.H, s.H, f.H, qcb.L, f.H, s.S, sj.H, qcf.L, Phoenix Rage, DHC to Stalking Flare. Raw tag to Phoenix. Teleport H, Phoenix Rage, DHC to Stalking Flare. Raw tag to Phoenix. Teleport H, Phoenix Rage. Deals a little over 1.3 million damage.

Dahbomb

Just for the record, I like WATCHING stylish combos but when I am playing I want efficient/optimized combos. That means the most damage/meter for the least effort/meter involved.

c.LMHS, sj.H, d.H, s.H, f.H, qcb.L, f.H, s.S, sj.H, qcf.L
I like this starter but why you using QCF+L in the air instead of QCF+M. Is there any difference here because I use QCF+M for her most of the time and it works fine. Also seems to work OTG with her as well. I am mostly building my own combos with Phoenix using some matches I have seen and basic stuff from Mission Mode.

I am trying to do the combo that ends with her doing OTG TK Shot into TK Overdrive. I like that because it sets up nicely for resets. My combo that I am trying to do is cr. LMHS MMH d+H QCB+L f+H S MMHS air TK M Shot (have to tiger knee this) and maybe a H Overdrive after this which I am working on.

I know Gods has a 550K combo or something with Phoenix, need to see that one. And yes most characters have no answer for that salty balls, thank god that shit got nerfed. I am also secretly practicing for UMVC3 by only using one salty ball in the air, doing a flight cancel and then teleporting (which maintains flight mode for a dirty overhead).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEsENY7snAo&feature=related

Strider drinking that top tier juice. Hit confirming into a combo from full screen.

Just for the record, I like WATCHING stylish combos but when I am playing I want efficient/optimized combos. That means the most damage/meter for the least effort/meter involved.
Well, with all of my characters, there's a positive correlation between style and damage.

I like this starter but why you using QCF+L in the air instead of QCF+M. Is there any difference here because I use QCF+M for her most of the time and it works fine. Also seems to work OTG with her as well. I am mostly building my own combos with Phoenix using some matches I have seen and basic stuff from Mission Mode.
qcf.L comes out faster; no other reason than wanting to minimize the chances I'll drop the combo. My execution isn't fantastic and I only play online, so the netcode reams me constantly.

In corners I have been practicing c.LMHS, sj.MMHS, tk.L, f.H, s.S, sj.MMHS, tk.L, f.H, s.S, sj.HS. Does like 420K IIRC, builds a ton of meter, and by just doing HS at the end Phoenix is left chilling at superjump height and out of sight, so I can fire a TK Shot H and then Teleport, and my opponent can't see me the entire time.

I am trying to do the combo that ends with her doing OTG TK Shot into TK Overdrive. I like that because it sets up nicely for resets. My combo that I am trying to do is cr. LMHS MMH d+H QCB+L f+H S MMHS air TK M Shot (have to tiger knee this) and maybe a H Overdrive after this which I am working on.
I gave up on this. I am not good at TKing things, and even worse online. I also find doing MMH into d.H to be very difficult and inconsistent, but so is my combo. I think it's neat that Phoenix has three different ways to get opponents into the d.H after launching. Her best is just sj.H, f.H, d.H, but it takes a lot of practice.

I know Gods has a 550K combo or something with Phoenix, need to see that one. And yes most characters have no answer for that salty balls, thank god that shit got nerfed.
Definitely, but I don't think the nerf is THAT big of a deal for my strategy. As long as I can get one salty ball out, I'm covered for my landing and can superjump for another. A good portion of the time, I even actively choose to land early just to call Dark Harmonizer sooner.

JeTmAn81

Dahbomb said:
I know Gods has a 550K combo or something with Phoenix, need to see that one. And yes most characters have no answer for that salty balls, thank god that shit got nerfed. I am also secretly practicing for UMVC3 by only using one salty ball in the air, doing a flight cancel and then teleporting (which maintains flight mode for a dirty overhead).

Will that actually work? I thought she was limited to one special move in the air, which would preclude going into flight after firing a ball, because that's a special move isn't it?

Ultimately, I've stopped caring about the meterless damage my characters do. It was an obsession I had that led perfectly into me playing Phoenix. At this point, the damage a combo does doesn't really matter anymore, because meter building is so much stronger. I'm glad that there's so much meter sucking and lowered hitstun in ultimate, because it's too good in vanilla. every character I play has a BnB that builds over two bars of meter. My Magneto/Doom DHC glitch BnB on my Phoenix team is +2 meters and does 1.2 million damage, and I can cut it short and do an air tag and wind up +3 meters for about the same damage.

On my Magneto/C.Viper/Doom team, nothing matters. It's just hit, kill. Hit, kill. Hit, kill. No glitches.

I actually don't really like it, because C.Viper has some of if not the best reset mixups in the game, and there's not any reason to use them other than maybe post-throw, because every hit is a guaranteed kill.

Dahbomb

Phoenix in UMVC3 still can do Flight mode TK Shot into Teleport. But since you are going into a state where you can't block as Phoenix... it's high risk/high reward. Pretty much how it should've been from the beginning. Phoenix is supposed to be a gamble character not an auto pilot win character you can throw in your 3rd slot.

Just for the fun of it, top 20 characters to watch out for in UMVC3 (no ranking in position):

Strider
Dr Strange
Wesker
Zero
Firebrand
Magneto
Dante
Phoenix
Amaterasu
C Viper (possibly the best character in the game right now unless nerfs are discovered)
She Hulk
Taskmaster
Hawkeye
Dr Doom
Trish
Dormammu
Spencer
Akuma
Wolverine
Ryu
Ghost Rider (secret new assist tier)

Basically, I expect the same characters who were dominant/popular before to still be dominant and popular but some swapping has been done amongst the top and high tier. Wolverine got the biggest drop but will still be insanely viable as his mix up on incoming characters is still too good and his efficiency is still there. Outside of that the other top 5 characters were nerfed just enough to bump them out of untouchable S tier into touchable A tier (like Dante and Wesker). Other dominant A tier characters like Zero, She Hulk, Trish, Taskmaster who either stayed the same or received some buffs should be dominant. Akuma should still be a candidate for a top tier assist and anchor plus I think there is some things to be explored in his new technology.

Out of the new characters, Firebrand/Strange/Strider/Hawkeye lead the pack as far as danger goes. None of them are so far ahead of the competition to be in an S tier because they are either extremely low health or just don't do as much damage in combos. But these characters have all the tools for a top character so they should be dangerous.

Ryu is the wild card along with maybe Ghost Rider. I think the only thing holding new Ryu back is the timer on his utility hyper which is too short. Buffed up Ryu assists should be nothing to scoff at and with new tools and improvements I would put him around Akuma level now. Ghost Rider is the wild card as far as being the new Dr Doom/Sentinel character in that he obviously has strong assists and he might be solid on point enough to be decent as anchor. With meter removing LVL3 hyper, if he gets Phoenix in the Stare she dies plus his zoning games should keep Phoenix and other top tier characters at least honest.

Other wild cards include Iron Man, Felicia, X-23, Spider Man, MODOK. Iron Man seems buffed in every way except for that tri-dash which is under heavy scrutiny right now. Felicia is mostly better along with X-23 plus with Wolverine/Wesker being nerfed these characters will see much more play. Spider Man was supposed to be bumped up when other characters got nerfed but when nerfs on him were discovered it puts his position at risk. MODOK got only buffs so he is only going to move up.

Nemesis, Sentinel, Tron and Morrigan are also suspect as to where they end up. I don't think Sentinel got hit hard at all, I think overall he is buffed slightly because all of his supposed nerfs are fairly minor. If Capcom is really trying to make Sentinel faster like his MVC2 counterpart, then I am down with that. Tron's other assist Drill has always been a solid assist to use but no one ever used it because Gustaff was godlike. We will see some new ways for Tron to be played, she still has a ton of health and insane combos. Nemesis is a question mark, very slow and tall but has a ton of armor including on his assists so he will have utility. Morrigan got all buffs but without a proper ground dash or ways to follow up throws (and other issues) she is not going to climb out of the obscure hole she is stuck in. I believe Captain America, Hulk, Thor and Skrull are some where here too in that they are slightly above where they were before.

Characters left biting in the dust due to not enough buffs discovered are Chun Li, Haggar, Joe, Arthur, Shuma, Hsien Ko and Jill. Jill and Shuma have nothing discovered on them because they aren't even being demoed. I am pretty sure Jill will break out of this tier and maybe Shuma.

LeMaximilian said:
I wouldn't do that for my own videos. But if anyone did chose to do so, I'd do my best to keep it updated with production info/future projects/pictures etc, and would be extremely appreciated.
Someone call USD

Can somebody explain to me what works so well with Combofiend's team of She-hulk/Taskmaster/Spencer? I keep reading that it has a ton of synergy, but aside from the DHC glitch and them having a ton of health I'm really not seeing it.

Dahbomb

finalboss2 said:
Can somebody explain to me what works so well with Combofiend's team of She-hulk/Taskmaster/Spencer? I keep reading that it has a ton of synergy, but aside from the DHC glitch and them having a ton of health I'm really not seeing it.
On point She Hulk gets great benefits from having the Taskmaster arrow assist as it allows her to get in on the opponent. Her Emerald Cannon easily DHCs into Taskmaster arrows or Spencer's Bionic Maneuvers (not talking about glitch but ACTUAL DHCs. Combofiend doesn't really use DHC glitches that much for his team).

With the Slant shot assist of Spencer, She Hulk can tag that after her Runner Torpedo from an OTG position which sets up PERFECT reset situations because the Slant shot assist puts them in standing position. She gets the grab, dizzy and switches to Spencer or Taskmaster for the full combo. Since She Hulk just needs the person to stand still for a bit for her command grabs, the Slant shot is a great assist for her and it connects easily after her Runner Slide.

After She Hulk is swapped out, Taskmaster is put in. Still the synergy remains as Taskmaster has the added bonus of She Hulk Torpedo assist which doubles as an unblockable for Taskmaster (high j.H combined with Torpedo). Not only that but Taskmaster can use Slant shot to extend his combos to absurd levels, getting almost TODs with it plus the Slant shot covers an angle that is usually hard for Taskmaster to touch very quickly (Taskmaster prefers down/forward angle when he is jumping or straight forward so having an assist that covers him against airborne opponents while he zones the ground is a good tool to have). Taskmaster's arrows also easily combo into Spencer's hypers at certain angles and Combofiend has found set ups where he does down arrows after a juggle into Emerald Cannon as well (requires specific timing and height for it but he gets it done).

Finally, Spencer at anchor. Again, Spencer gets help from the Torpedo as both a combo extender and as an unblockable set up with his numerous overheads. The arrows of Taskmaster let him get in while the opponent is locked on the ground (he just zips over them). Spencers hypers also lead easily into arrows or Emerald Cannon if he sets it up that way and Spencer also sets up the DHC glitch with both characters IF Combofiend ever needs it. Why Spencer last? Insane damage boost and TOD with any Bionic Arm hit confirm because he can I think do up to 3 to 4 of them in a row using X Factor. Plus all of Combofiend characters have excellent j.H OS air throw and that includes Spencer. That's how Combofiend makes Spencer work as an anchor. You chicken block, he grabs you OTG into Bionic Arm. You block on the ground, he overheads you and links into Armor Piercer and then Bionic Arm. You press a button... Bionic Arm.

Basically... Combofiend plays MVC3 like it was intended to be played. None of his assists are overpowered like Tron/Haggar, none of his characters are overpowered but he has synergized them to such an extent that they are all equally a threat to the opposition so no character can be targetted first. He uses all his assists as both combo extenders and assists with other functions like zoning, mix ups, resets and unblockable set ups. Unsurprisingly... all of his characters make Sentinel look like shit. Combofiend's team has a 9-1 match up against a team that uses Sentinel because that team is automatically downgraded to a 2 man team.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sigh at people understating how good ghost rider is gonna be -.- Shits gonna be like taskmaster all over again. HE DOESNT LOOK THAT GREAT LOL. oh well

Dahbomb

I have Ghost Rider in top 20. :/ Need to see more evidence for him being as good as top 10.

It was Gods that has him in bottom 5.

shaowebb

I'm already convinced that Ghost Rider's assists and full screen chip working in tandem with that bike hyper of OTG madness will make him a major player in Ultimate.

His assist is damn fast and its likely going to infuriate a lot of people. Plus anyone you can DHC into OTG hyper for is good to have around, but the fact that his wheelie pops them into the air means you may be able to go for TAC after a DHC if he's on your team.

So much potential for this guy with anyone.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dahbomb said:
I have Ghost Rider in top 20. :/ Need to see more evidence for him being as good as top 10.

It was Gods that has him in bottom 5.
Ah my bad, the ......... made me all confused :p

Dahbomb said:
amazing stuff.

Dude thanks so much, that really opens up a lot I didn't realize about the game and makes me really want to work on building my own team instead of sticking with teams that really really good players make and then I sorta steal. I didn't realize how many things each of those characters had going for them.

Razor210

My day 1 UMvC3 team: Ghost Rider (OTG flame)/Taskmanager (horizontal arrows)/Dormington(Dark Hole)

Reason being - Ghost Rider has that move that drags the opponent over (I don't think its a command grab?) so if you catch them in Dark Hole, you get a combo (not the most damaging, but it'll build meter). And his flame assist seems pretty dang good.

smurfx

get some go again
QisTopTier said:
Sigh at people understating how good ghost rider is gonna be -.- Shits gonna be like taskmaster all over again. HE DOESNT LOOK THAT GREAT LOL. oh well
lol two zoning taskmaster players know right away how good ghost rider is gonna be. ghost rider is looking to be my new team member unless i really like the other new characters once i play them.

Azure J

enzo_gt said:
"The notation is going to be on screen..

..oh shit, it's too long."

I swear to god, watching MarlinPie's Viper work is one of the most incredible things in MvC3 period. JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT. The tutorial blew my fucking mind already.

- Come in
- Look at stream chat
- A SOLID WALL OF "OMFG DAT COMBO, SWAG"
- Feels like he missed out on the meaning of life

:lol

Azure J

Oh. My. God.

How have I not watched a MarlinPie in the lab stream ever? This shit is borderline Guard Crush hilarious.

Edit: OH MY CHRIST TRON IS THE ANTI-PHOENIX

DEAD @ "That's for PR Balrog!"

Edit 2: Seriously, I feel like we just saw something no one should have, like the guy behind the curtains in the Wizard of Oz. Tron drill assist bout to blow up big time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Parallax Scroll said:
Bwahahahhahaha holy shit
THE DEMON
:lol :lol

I can't believe I've been watching live_oratory for this long. MarlinPie's stream is fantastic.

EDIT:
BibleBlackFace2.jpg

Also MarlinPie is taking challengers over XBL. C'mon Smurfx, I see you stream monstering. Hit em up!

Azure J

enzo_gt said:
I can't believe I've been watching live_oratory for this long. MarlinPie's stream is fantastic.

This. I knew from the moment he started taking requests that this was gonna be a great stream.

smurfx

get some go again
enzo_gt said:
Smurfx vs. MarlinPie incoming! (hopefully)

EDIT: What a troll.
lol i'm way too tired from work. plus i like to warm up before playing. its quotes playing as well and i don't really care about fighting him.

Azure J

Big2033: The Carter IV is ass
» Hsien Ko > The Carter IV
Bellomang: hsien ko...better than something?
Big2033: yep

My. Fucking. God. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AzureJericho said:
Big2033: The Carter IV is ass
» Hsien Ko > The Carter IV
Bellomang: hsien ko...better than something?
Big2033: yep

My. Fucking. God. :lol
LOOOOOOOOOL.

Yo seriously, MarlinPie touch of death combos are no joke. I mean you see them in combo vids and stuff but this motherfucker confirms a kill off of one hit. Every. Single. Time.

Solune

smurfx said:
what he say? i put laptop on sleep when i played.
He just said "why is Quotes getting blown up by this random" and some other dude was like this kid turned on beast mode haha.

smurfx

get some go again
Solune said:
He just said "why is Quotes getting blown up by this random" and some other dude was like this kid turned on beast mode haha.
i managed to get back in time to read those comments. enzo you managed to watch the fight? you were the one that told me to challenge him. :p

Tobe

Solune said:
He just said "why is Quotes getting blown up by this random" and some other dude was like this kid turned on lame mode haha.
fixed.

yo smurf can we get a couple of matches gotta practice that new lameness.

smurfx

get some go again
Tobe1 said:
fixed.

yo smurf can we get a couple of matches gotta practice that new lameness.
gonna eat and that was all the marvel i'm playing for today. didn't even want to play but i played hoping to challenge marlinpie.

Tobe

smurfx said:
gonna eat and that was all the marvel i'm playing for today. didn't even want to play but i played hoping to challenge marlinpie.
ohh well then maybe other day, gonna hop on xbl and try the dorm/mag/sent team

Tobe

Karsticles said:
Enjoy the Dormammu vs. competent rushdown on point matchups. IMO it's better to put Magneto first.
i used to play dorm but dropped him just cause of zero and well wolverine, the thing is that i didnt take the time to learn how to zone effectively and thats what im trying to do now

Top Bottom