• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Kimosabae

Banned
When did this turn into Marvel Addicts Anonymous? Wanting to prioritize social mobility over being good at Marvel is not up for debate. Playing fighting games doesn't yield the same kind of reward as learning skills for a career or social networking (yet).

What I'm suggesting is that people who think they can't learn new skills applicable to Ultimate Marvel, just because Vanilla Marvel will soon be the 'old' game; are stupid.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fighting games are weird, the majority of people who play them seem to be nearly exclusive to the genre, because of the time investments involved.

I play games from like every genre, the majority of my posts recently are here though because I love this franchise so much, but I'm not at all a fighting game aficionado. My friends are the same but we either all really enjoy a game, or we're at ends on it. Marvel thankfully is more of the former.

Just played through all of Gears 2 on Insane with my brother just cause, and now I'm ever so slightly hyped for Gears 3. And I've been playing Forza 3 to try to get some bonuses for Forza 4 which I'm extremely hype for. What non-fighting games has MahvelGAF been playing? Or am I the only one whos not just into fighting games?

Karsticles said:
If you need a break from cheap shit, feel free to play me!
rofl
It is only cheap if it works and we have to see how it goes in an ideal environment with a good connection.
Karsticles said:
How is your internet now? Much better?
Feels really good, but I won't know for sure until I fight the regulars.
smurfx said:
you'd be amazed how much hate mail i get for stopping player matches after i've won 3 or 5 games. most of the time its 3-0 or 5-0 and they still hate send hate mail for quitting early. i only play player matches to warm up for ranked.
Three is pretty great amount of matches unless they are super close or something.
enzo_gt said:
Fighting games are weird, the majority of people who play them seem to be nearly exclusive to the genre, because of the time investments involved.

I play games from like every genre, the majority of my posts recently are here though because I love this franchise so much, but I'm not at all a fighting game aficionado. My friends are the same but we either all really enjoy a game, or we're at ends on it. Marvel thankfully is more of the former.

Just played through all of Gears 2 on Insane with my brother just cause, and now I'm ever so slightly hyped for Gears 3. And I've been playing Forza 3 to try to get some bonuses for Forza 4 which I'm extremely hype for. What non-fighting games has MahvelGAF been playing? Or am I the only one whos not just into fighting games?
I play tons of stuff like CivIV, small indie titles on steam, I just beat Uncharted 2 and I beat Bayonetta a while back.

I definitely see myself playing more of those games over the Winter and in the future.
LakeEarth said:
People who only play one match, beat me and leave are the most infuriating. Bitch, let me figure you out.
lol this
smurfx said:
man i need to start going to these game tournaments and make some friends i can play marvel with in real life. none of my real life friends play marvel. they barely play games.
Most of my friends just stopped playing Mahvel altogether after MvC3 and the lack of spectator. It was pretty amazing and sad at the same time.

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm currently playing through Dead Nation with my buddy who's down from Boston. I wouldn't play it otherwise.

I almost exclusively play fighting games because the community/tournament aspect makes me feel as though I'm not wasting my time. I'm goal setting and working towards things external to the game, with real social consequences - that's the potential I see in competitive gaming at large, and why I advocate it so much.

Looking forward to Uncharted 3 and I may get Gears 3 if my buddy's down again, cuz he's a Gears fan.

It is only cheap if it works and we have to see how it goes in an ideal environment with a good connection.
After almost a thousand games with the setup, I promise you that it works against anything I can establish a moment of breathing room against, but some characters force me to DHC into Morrigan constantly to keep it safe, which doesn't work very well because Astral Vision has ridiculous recovery frames. But those are getting buffed in UMvC3, so it's still good for me to do it conceptually, haha.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kimosabae said:
I'm currently playing through Dead Nation with my buddy who's down from Boston. I wouldn't play it otherwise.

I almost exclusively play fighting games because the community/tournament aspect makes me feel as though I'm not wasting my time. I'm goal setting and working towards things external to the game, with real social consequences - that's the potential I see in competitive gaming at large, and why I advocate it so much.

Looking forward to Uncharted 3 and I may get Gears 3 if my buddy's down again, cuz he's a Gears fan.
Do you have a local tourney scene you attend? Or more of an online kind of thing? Or a stream monstering kind of thing?

My brother came up to me today while I was watching the bits of Guard Crush I missed and he was just like "I don't get it, why do you WATCH the game when you have it infront of you and can play it?" I had difficulty answering the question, because I could give him the "It's like any other sport, but an e-sport" kind of answer, but I couldn't think of the right way to phrase it. I just told him "Same reason you watch the NBA." Don't really know the best way to tackle that question.

@SolarPowered Civ IV is the shit. One of those games I've put countless hours into and just kind of laid to rest cause I burnt it out.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I was playing through Super Metroid again, trying to memorize routes. I don't have Red Scarlet to coach me anymore though. *tear* Hitting some of the harder tech is making me rage harder than some of C.Viper's crazier shenanigans.

Azure J

enzo_gt said:

Hah, you sound like me. :p

Really though the big difference here is that I guess all my time from Marvel pre hype (the Clockw0rk/Neo money match stream and thread really got me interested in the MAHVEL shenanigans) to now, I've been trying to play catch up on almost 2 decades worth of fighting games. They really are a fun genre and I'm surprised it was only now that I got an opportunity to see them/play them fairly regularly. I'm definitely trying to get better at them though, I'm a closet competitive type. :lol

As for what I'm playing now, a bunch of Wii games I haven't finished including Muramasa, DKCR and Sin & Punishment 2.

Kimosabae

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Do you have a local tourney scene you attend? Or more of an online kind of thing? Or a stream monstering kind of thing?

I'm new-oldschool so I hate playing games online. Admittedly, that needs to change.

I'm part of the S. FL community, so I'm down with the Option Select crew. I've been a part of the SFL FGC since Soulcalibur 2 and my area is notoriously weak when it comes to hosting tournaments (Unless you play Smash). Part of the problem is the state is stupid big with no real intrastate transport system, so the communities are highly segregated. Ryan Hunter's looking to change that (lack of tournaments), but he seems to be waiting for a growth spurt in members.

Karsticles said:
After almost a thousand games with the setup, I promise you that it works against anything I can establish a moment of breathing room against, but some characters force me to DHC into Morrigan constantly to keep it safe, which doesn't work very well because Astral Vision has ridiculous recovery frames. But those are getting buffed in UMvC3, so it's still good for me to do it conceptually, haha.
We've never played each other at our best.

It is a toss up until further notice as far as I am concerned.
enzo_gt said:

My brother came up to me today while I was watching the bits of Guard Crush I missed and he was just like "I don't get it, why do you WATCH the game when you have it infront of you and can play it?" I had difficulty answering the question, because I could give him the "It's like any other sport, but an e-sport" kind of answer, but I couldn't think of the right way to phrase it. I just told him "Same reason you watch the NBA." Don't really know the best way to tackle that question.

@SolarPowered Civ IV is the shit. One of those games I've put countless hours into and just kind of laid to rest cause I burnt it out.
Must've logged over 300 hours on the game myself even around the time Mahvel came out. I still turn it on every once in a while just to scroll through my several empires. It is a big part of why I'm getting ready to build my gaming PC.

Also, Civilization V may take priority come Winter haha.

The big difference between NBA spectating and stream monstering is that we learn things about the game while playing. If I don't learn anything new, I tend to not be very interested. But when I watch, say, Clockwork play, and I see the things he does, it's constantly expanding my mind as to how the game is being played.

That's why I don't watch a lot of streams these days though - I don't have much to learn or be interested about regarding the top tiers. They're all pretty basic characters, and the proper setups are established.

No one watches basketball, baseball, hockey, or any other sport and has a revelation of "Oh man, you can throw the baseball like that?"

It's purely passive entertainment, something to fill space and an excuse to get together with friends or feel a part of something. At least, that's how I perceive the differences. I suppose there are people who watch these things and don't play the games, but I find them as incomprehensible as people who watch football but don't play it (or even just watch football in general).

It's actually a pet peeve of mine when someone says "I love sports!", and I ask what they play, and they tell me what they like to watch. Such a person does not like sports, such a person likes to watch other people play sports. Similarly, people will ask me: "Why do you hate sports?", and I have to explain that I don't hate sports - I think sports are really fun (well, some - I don't get baseball or golf, if you can even consider that a sport (I don't)). What I don't like is watching other people play sports.

We've never played each other at our best.

It is a toss up until further notice as far as I am concerned.
I'm not judging your skill level, just the matchup. You have three characters:
Morrigan
Hsien-ko
Amaterasu

All of these are what I would consider to be among Dormammu's better matchups. As you know, my team revolves around running away while building meter for Stalking Flare. Of your team, only one character has any hope at all of catching up with Dormammu's runaway, and that's Amaterasu. Additionally, only one of your characters has any way to get around Stalking Flare, and that is once again Amaterasu.

Hence why, every single match, I would blow X-Factor to down Amaterasu any time I touched her - it was just a won match after that due to matchups as long as I don't mess up. Neither of your other characters have the ability to lay down pressure on Dormammu, and all I need to do is stall for time so I can call more Dark Harmonizer.

kirblar

Fighting Games and Magic: The Gathering, and other similar games have a big difference: the people you're watching aren't just the people you look up to or admire- they're also your potential competition if you choose to get involved in the competitive scene. It's a very different mental dynamic, as the lack of a barrier to entry to the game means that if you think you're better than the people you're watching, all you have to do is prove it.

Anth0ny

Finally watched the WNF vids. So... Clockwork was sandbagging vs Combofiend on cross counter? That x factor/meter usage with 1 pixel left on his Phoenix that one game was DISRESPECTFUL. Sick stuff.

Finally watched the WNF vids. So... Clockwork was sandbagging vs Combofiend on cross counter? That x factor/meter usage with 1 pixel left on his Phoenix that one game was DISRESPECTFUL. Sick stuff.
He wasn't sandbagging, Clockwork just learned a lot from those matches and went into training mode to try and figure out how to beat stuff. I don't think the meter usage with 1 pixel left was disrespectful because Clockwork realistically has to choose between two scenarios:

1) Fight XF3 Spencer with Dark Phoenix; Phoenix has no meter.

2) Fight XF3 Spencer with Phoenix; Phoenix has 4 bars.

Bionic Arm is without a doubt Spencer's greatest weapon. Believe it or not, Phoenix Rage actually beats Bionic Arm on reaction though. So if Clockwork saves meter to go Dark, then he has nothing to save his butt with if a Bionic Arm goes off, and he can't just cheese Spencer out with fireballs.

If Clockwork burns the bar, then he has a ready counter to Bionic Arm - four of them. In the grand scheme of things, this is actually Clockwork's safer choice. Plus, Clockwork would not have killed Combofiend's second character without the X-Factor, a very important detail.

Just my two cents.

Tobe

Anth0ny said:
can you link the archive please? i cant seem to find it :/

Karsticles said:
I'm not judging your skill level, just the matchup.
I was alluding to the whole thing, really. I think I may have a chance. There are only two or three teams in this entire world that have ever taken all hope away from me and finding another one that can do that is not all that likely.

Also, I could see how the matchup is not too good for me, but you wouldn't be in a good position either with no lag and Sent/Morrigan if Dormmington drops dead.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Karsticles said:
He wasn't sandbagging, Clockwork just learned a lot from those matches and went into training mode to try and figure out how to beat stuff. I don't think the meter usage with 1 pixel left was disrespectful because Clockwork realistically has to choose between two scenarios:

1) Fight XF3 Spencer with Dark Phoenix; Phoenix has no meter.

2) Fight XF3 Spencer with Phoenix; Phoenix has 4 bars.

Bionic Arm is without a doubt Spencer's greatest weapon. Believe it or not, Phoenix Rage actually beats Bionic Arm on reaction though. So if Clockwork saves meter to go Dark, then he has nothing to save his butt with if a Bionic Arm goes off, and he can't just cheese Spencer out with fireballs.

If Clockwork burns the bar, then he has a ready counter to Bionic Arm - four of them. In the grand scheme of things, this is actually Clockwork's safer choice. Plus, Clockwork would not have killed Combofiend's second character without the X-Factor, a very important detail.

Just my two cents.
This is all really true :D I think to many people cling to the clutch go dark phoenix mash L all day crap. She's viable in reg form as well once you know wtf you are doing, so burning meter to counter stuff isnt a bad idea, one good hit with her builds meter up pretty high anyways

I'll be around for some matches with my new and improved connection later on some time around 1PM EST.

It is definitely a lot better than before as far as I can tell and I'm eager to test it. Just be forewarned...I suck right now and I may need a few dozen matches before I'm back to my old self.
Nose Master said:
Come at me, Marvel-GAF: Licorice King (XBL). (Wait about ten minutes first.)
Might've had more success a little closer to the sunrise lol.

dankir

Parallax Scroll said:
You can probably dual mod it yourself, no? Also, it never occurred to me to check ebay. How much did it run you? Is it an official Hitbox?

Yup official they go for a bit more over retail, I won it for 192.50. What I was expecting to pay for one via HitBox direct with shipping to Canada. I'm very excited though :)

I guess I could dualmod, I'll have to look into whats involved, I think the main reason why they have no dual units to sell is that they aren't any dual xbox 36o / ps3 boards to use in fight sticks or something of that nature.

There are very few that show up on eBay though, so you have to check often. This is only the 3rd one in the past month and a half.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
_dementia said:
So, is the thread title chiding those of us who lacked the self-control to wait for the superior version 9 months later?
+

3343zlu.gif

I was alluding to the whole thing, really. I think I may have a chance. There are only two or three teams in this entire world that have ever taken all hope away from me and finding another one that can do that is not all that likely.
Well then we shall put it to contest!

Also, I could see how the matchup is not too good for me, but you wouldn't be in a good position either with no lag and Sent/Morrigan if Dormmington drops dead.
I don't find lag to be to my advantage, personally. Also, my team is now:
Phoenix/Dormammu/Morrigan

No more Sentinel holding the team back with all of his terrible matchups.

i want to play Karsticles.
Then you must buy a PS3! Or drive to me...haha.

I'll be around for some matches with my new and improved connection later on some time around 1PM EST.
I'll play you, but it wouldn't be until later tonight if you're up for it. Say 6-7PM EST-ish?

Neki

Karsticles said:

Then you must buy a PS3! Or drive to me...haha.

I'll play you, but it wouldn't be until later tonight if you're up for it. Say 6-7PM EST-ish?

looks like I'll have to get on later to expose Karst, amirite?!

Nyoro SF

I can't learn anything when I go online to play MvC3 because it's just a Wolverine + Akuma festival. Either I win the entire match for just killing Wolverine or I lose the match because I get hit by Wolverine.

Yeah, I'm going to wait for the revision. Until then, training mode only for me.

Neki

Nyoro SF said:
I can't learn anything when I go online to play MvC3 because it's just a Wolverine + Akuma festival. Either I win the entire match for just killing Wolverine or I lose the match because I get hit by Wolverine.

Yeah, I'm going to wait for the revision. Until then, training mode only for me.

just play some gaffers, I don't think most of us use Wolverine.

Ultimoo said:
This right here.
Karsticles said:
Not right away of course. I'm a little nublet right now.
Karsticles said:
Lag is a huge advantage for Sentinel's huge damage derp combos. It is a big part of why Sentinel, Wesker, Phoenix, Akuma and Magneto caught on in the first place. Stuff that can be abused in online modes.
Karsticles said:
You are definitely better off for the change. I don't see how Phoenix would fare on this team yet, but we'll see...
Karsticles said:
Maybe if I am still awake. Friday is definitely one of my slower days since I am getting a nice break.

looks like I'll have to get on later to expose Karst, amirite?!
Perhaps, but Solar has first dibs if he wants it.

Indeed, and playing people you know is more fun anyway.

Not right away of course. I'm a little nublet right now.
I use Phoenix on point - no excuses sir! :p

Lag is a huge advantage for Sentinel's huge damage derp combos. It is a big part of why Sentinel, Wesker, Phoenix, Akuma and Magneto caught on in the first place. Stuff that can be abused in online modes.
For the actual combo, but as you know, I mostly go for tick throws and stuff with Sentinel - you're not some herpderp opponent that falls for c.M all day. Plus, as you know, I fly-cancel everything I do with Sentinel, which is hard as hell in lag.

You are definitely better off for the change. I don't see how Phoenix would fare on this team yet, but we'll see...
She holds it back too, but I feel she's the closest to Firebrand in this game, which is why I use her. Plus it has lead to a ton of salt from opponents. People throw so many random hypers out at her because they think I give a shit about her going Dark it's hilarious. She's mostly there so I can understand the kinds of matchup problems Firebrand will experience in the game. I expect her to die and contribute very little, much like Sentinel was on the previous team.

Maybe if I am still awake. Friday is definitely one of my slower days since I am getting a nice break.
I dig.

Nils said:
GGs Spirit of Jazz. I still got bodied but I think I was a tad less free than before. Felt nice having gutsy Weapon X Primes pay off though I shouldn't have DHC'ed into Taskmaster during that last match, probably wouldn't have eaten half of your Wesker's level 3 and I was a bit confused as to what happened since I was expecting a Rhino Charge.

GGs, I went for Rhino Charge and somehow ended up chucking that missile... I wasn't too happy given I just discovered X's hyper beat both Wesker and Wolvie's level 3 so was pretty relieved by the DHC.

As for Task, I didn't miss a lot stuff, but I did miss a few air/ground throw into hyper opportunites. Also, I had never seen that Akuma wavedash frenzy online before.

Yeah, that cost you a lot at the start but you managed to get the timing for it in the latter matches. I was dropping so much shit with Wekser/Wolvie but luckily Akuma's one of the best anchors in the game and fucking easy to use.

You certainly were a lot better than when we last played, will need to use one of my main teams next time though.

JeTmAn81

I feel it is my duty to point out some godlike Hulk play from last night's Option Select stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/optionselect/b/294601637

Sinister is rocking what may be the best Hulk-based team I've seen. It follows the same structure as mine, Hulk plus beam and OTG, but whereas I use Wesker and Magneto, he's using Deadpool and Doom.

This team is amazing because it allows you to continue a combo with Deadpool's OTG off a normal air combo, which is very difficult to do with Wesker (gotta time it just right), and Doom's beam stays out a lot longer than Magneto's, allowing Hulk more protection and more time to continue off a jumping H ground bounce hit.

The offensive pressure this team is capable of is amazing. Armored normals, beams, charges keep even the most mobile characters pinned down. I lament the lack of Gamma Tornado use, but he makes up for it by smartly selecting Hulk's s.M and crouching normals when they will be most effective. Full combos every time, you don't get away from Hulk, and the average character dies to one combo.

What makes it even better is that his Deadpool and Doom are actually good, too. Deadpool overhead into Quick Work shenanigans constantly, unblockable setups with Katana-rama assist, and perfect timing on throwing up the Sphere Flame into an airdashing opponent.

He's so good he makes Hulk look overpowered. Any character can look overpowered against a bad opponent, but Sinister is dominating against Ryan Hunter who is not exactly a lightweight.

Anyways, I'm going to be x-copying a lot of this stuff and trying it at home. Amazingly, I think Hulk has even more potential than is being shown off here. Can't wait until Ultimate when he gets a million hits of super armor.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
JeTmAn81 said:
I feel it is my duty to point out some godlike Hulk play from last night's Option Select stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/optionselect/b/294601637

Sinister is rocking what may be the best Hulk-based team I've seen. It follows the same structure as mine, Hulk plus beam and OTG, but whereas I use Wesker and Magneto, he's using Deadpool and Doom.

This team is amazing because it allows you to continue a combo with Deadpool's OTG off a normal air combo, which is very difficult to do with Wesker (gotta time it just right), and Doom's beam stays out a lot longer than Magneto's, allowing Hulk more protection and more time to continue off a jumping H ground bounce hit.

The offensive pressure this team is capable of is amazing. Armored normals, beams, charges keep even the most mobile characters pinned down. I lament the lack of Gamma Tornado use, but he makes up for it by smartly selecting Hulk's s.M and crouching normals when they will be most effective. Full combos every time, you don't get away from Hulk, and the average character dies to one combo.

What makes it even better is that his Deadpool and Doom are actually good, too. Deadpool overhead into Quick Work shenanigans constantly, unblockable setups with Katana-rama assist, and perfect timing on throwing up the Sphere Flame into an airdashing opponent.

He's so good he makes Hulk look overpowered. Any character can look overpowered against a bad opponent, but Sinister is dominating against Ryan Hunter who is not exactly a lightweight.

Anyways, I'm going to be x-copying a lot of this stuff and trying it at home. Amazingly, I think Hulk has even more potential than is being shown off here. Can't wait until Ultimate when he gets a million hits of super armor.
This Hulk is pretty awesome and entertaining to watch, but that first guy playing from what I watched is COMPLETE ass. Literally, not a single Wolverine combo. I want to see if this works on someone that isn't terrified of Hulk and punishes things. That Hulk left a lot of openings to get blown up from what I saw from whiffed standing Hs.

EDIT: Ryan Hunter styled him the FUCK out in the next match, but he was having a ton more difficulty against Dante. Still very solid work.

EDIT2: DAT GAMMA CRUSH CROSS UP AT 28:45 MAH GAWD

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Spirit of Jazz said:
GGs, I went for Rhino Charge and somehow ended up chucking that missile... I wasn't too happy given I just discovered X's hyper beat both Wesker and Wolvie's level 3 so was pretty relieved by the DHC.

I absolutely love that hyper. Goes through damn near everything. One player today saw it coming, tried to punish it by X-Factoring with Dante and going into level 3 and still ate it. I really like playing X-23 in general, but disappointingly enough my execution is too bad to do her more fancy stuff like the feint loops and having an assist pop people up for a Weapon X-Prime after an aerial combo. Though it may be a worse team than my last one (Task/Wesker/Dante) I enjoy playing this one a lot more and feel I'm able to play the team a lot more effectively.

On another note random people on ranked are still such asses sometimes. Had another 3-4 rage quits today, with the worst one being a guy that was about to rank up to 4th Lord who wouldn't accept his loss. Hope he got docked extra exp points for that so that he's just that much farther away from 4th Lord.

Frantic

Nils said:
On another note random people on ranked are still such asses sometimes. Had another 3-4 rage quits today, with the worst one being a guy that was about to rank up to 4th Lord who wouldn't accept his loss. Hope he got docked extra exp points for that so that he's just that much farther away from 4th Lord.
Rage quits annoys me, but I also find them delicious. Especially if they end up sending rage mail. I like to intentionally troll people to My favorite thing in this game is trolling people with Hsien-Ko, Arthur, and Viewtiful Joe in Player Matches. Arthur, in particular, seems to bring out the most pure and raw salt. Point Arthur OCV into Rage Quit, Arthur X-Factor Level 3 Super Laggy Express comeback into Rage Quit... Rage quitting in Player Matches, to me, is just absolutely amazing. Taunting also amazes me, especially since I've blown up two people who did it mid-match after killing a character.

That story reminds me, though, of my own rank up failure. I had my LONGEST win streak going(34 straight wins!), I was about to rank up to 4th Lord, and... I made the worst assist call of my MvC3 life, got the two for one special and they got checked right on out. Then I just cracked and started mashing buttons. That was probably one of the saltiest moments I've ever experienced... didn't stoop to a rage quit, though.

I'm available for some games now....
smurfx said:
tobe played a wolverine team with me the other day....and i ate that wolverine alive!!! muahahaha. :p
I remember Tobe saying he wouldn't be caught dead bandwagonning Top tier when we first started playing each other.

It wasn't even a month later and he was already using Wolvie, Phoenix and all that crazyness. Then the Viscant team lolz.

Just joshin' ya, Tobe.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
smurfx said:
gg nils. quotes and masta cj accepted my friends request! will be challenging them in the future.

Haha, hope you beat them. Would make my defeat ever so slightly less painful :p

Top Bottom