• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wish avatars were slightly bigger. I have a super badass avatar ready that's also UMvC3 related, but when avatar-sized it doesn't look too hot

EDIT: @_dementia, godlike.

Tobe

AzureJericho said:
All this talk of avatars makes me realize that I need to find a way to "Fighting-GAF" my Scribble-tar Mike Jones.

use a background like the "mash harder" t-shirt from broken tier?

shaowebb

AzureJericho said:
All this talk of avatars makes me realize that I need to find a way to "Fighting-GAF" my Scribble-tar Mike Jones.

You could shop his eyes to be looking really huge and scared down at his yo-yo and add the words "I can't control it!"

Bonus points if the yo-yo is catching fire.

Man, the Wolvkuma combo is really getting my spirits down. 60+ matches tonight. 46 of those ran nearly identical teams. It's not even about winning or losing for me anymore. It's so frustratingly boring seeing the same bnbs, same tactics, same moves used over and over and over again in a game that offers the potential for such crazy originality.

I hit my 6000th match earlier today, too. I think I've only fought three serious Shuma Goraths and a handful of really awesome Jills. I hate how little love some characters get.

Edit:

Anth0ny said:

Oh man, I am dying laughing here! You've cheered up my mvc mood, Anth0ny.

smurfx

get some go again
Ezenzer said:
Man, the Wolvkuma combo is really getting my spirits down. 60+ matches tonight. 46 of those ran nearly identical teams. It's not even about winning or losing for me anymore. It's so frustratingly boring seeing the same bnbs, same tactics, same moves used over and over and over again in a game that offers the potential for such crazy originality.

I hit my 6000th match earlier today, too. I think I've only fought three serious Shuma Goraths and a handful of really awesome Jills. I hate how little love some characters get.

Edit:

damn we should play. 6000 matches and i don't ever remember playing you on live.

smurfx said:
damn we should play. 6000 matches and i don't ever remember playing you on live.
Yep, and over 200 hours online to boot. I'm starting to think I'm addicted to this game! My TE stick broke a few days ago and I went through a tiny withdrawal while I waited for new parts from lizardlick. I'm a second rate fighter at best, though. Feels like I've hit a skill ceiling some time back and never breached it.

Have you run into a Shuma/Dormammu team, smurfx? :p

Tobe

xbl trolling gaf like always. just got matched against Sixfortyfive. this is something i find intriguing, do you come across gaffers a lot in multi player games?

smurfx

get some go again
ugh being sleepy and playing marvel is not a good combination for me. played like complete shit. got my 5 wins added to my record finally. while i like the madcatz fighting pads way better than the regular xbox controller it is so fucking frustrating sometimes. pulling off the forward quarter circle motion is a crap shoot always. i've had so many haggar combos fucked up thanks to this and haggar doing his punching hyper instead of his stomach splash hyper. i usually get punished hard when this happens and it gets me very salty.

Ezenzer said:
Yep, and over 200 hours online to boot. I'm starting to think I'm addicted to this game! My TE stick broke a few days ago and I went through a tiny withdrawal while I waited for new parts from lizardlick. I'm a second rate fighter at best, though. Feels like I've hit a skill ceiling some time back and never breached it.

Have you run into a Shuma/Dormammu team, smurfx? :p
tried sending you a friends request but it gave me an error message.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Shoutouts to Tobe.

enzo_gt said:
I wish avatars were slightly bigger. I have a super badass avatar ready that's also UMvC3 related, but when avatar-sized it doesn't look too hot

EDIT: @_dementia, godlike.
This is my SRK profile pic. Too lazy to make a shrunk down version for other places.

Anyway, I've been practicing Crossover Counter combos for a little bit and again realize that I should be incorporating that into my game more often. Rolling Buckler is one of the few counters in the game that has invincible startup and allows for a full combo afterward. I can get about 715K out of a 1.5 meter start (builds 1.5 more, uses 3 total).

Dahbomb

It's the most profit for the least effort so it's no surprise people would be abusing it. If you aren't using something similar to that then you aren't really playing to win but rather just to explore the game. You can try other set ups but you would be trying much harder.

Combinations like these should be abused until Capcom gets the point. They sort of do that's why the duo is severely nerfed in UMVC3 (Wolverine more so than Akuma).

DR2K

Banned
MVC3 has so many unused characters. It seems like the difference between top tier and lower tiers is getting worse, not MVC2 bad, but it's getting there.

Rare characters

Modok
Shuma
Jill
Captain America
Thor
Hsienko
Felicia
X23
Trish
Iron Man
Morrigan
Viper
Chunli
Ryu
Deadpool
Spencer
Storm
Super Skrull
Arthur
Chris
Hulk
Spiderman
Joe
Shehulk
Ammy
Taskmaster

Assist characters
Tron
Hagger
Akuma
Doom

Overused
Sentinel
Wolverine
Phoenix
Wesker
Magneto
Zero
Dante
Dormammau

Here's hoping they do things better with UMVC.

enzo_gt said:
First thought :lol

And lol @ DR2K listing She-Hulk, Ammy and Taskmaster as "Rare." Your list has such a fine line dude.
They definitely aren't overused, but they certainly aren't underused.

Those are just right.
DR2K said:
MVC3 has so many unused characters. It seems like the difference between top tier and lower tiers is getting worse, not MVC2 bad, but it's getting there.

Rare characters

Modok
Shuma
Jill
Captain America
Thor
Hsienko
Felicia
X23
Trish
Iron Man
Morrigan

Viper
Chunli
Ryu
Deadpool
Spencer
Storm

Super Skrull
Arthur
Chris
Hulk

Spiderman
Joe
Shehulk
Ammy
Taskmaster

Assist characters
Tron
Hagger
Akuma
Doom

Overused
Sentinel
Wolverine
Phoenix
Wesker
Magneto
Zero
Dante
Dormammau

Here's hoping they do things better with UMVC.
Bolded for recognizable/significant buffs.

Looking somewhat better already.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
X-23 can cancel her Crescent Scythe now, making a very unsafe move or something you'd typically accidentally do in your air combos theoretically more safe and may lead to more mixup options.

Back in this Mahvel shit. I'm pretty rusty right now, working on forming a decent team. Current one is Dante/Iron Man/Spencer.

Any good damage combos with Dante that aren't too execution heavy? I finished his trials and that's about the limit of what I can do right now. My hammer time skills are lackluster as well as my wu-tang killer bee

Kimosabae

Banned
Funny thing is, outside Joe, Super Skrull, Modok, Arthur Jill and Shuma - I see those characters all the time. Even the ones mentioned I can recall seeing most of them in tournament footage in the last month or so. Only truly legit rarity I can think of is Arthur. Much ado about nothing. Maybe things are different online, but I can't identify with these supposed rare sitings. Sure, the prevalence is skewed toward the "Top tier" characters - but this is a fighting game. That's to be expected. Game's still hella new, too.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ that list. Is that stream monster talk or actual MVC3 play talk?

Taskmaster, She Hulk, Storm, Deadpool, Amaterasu, Hulk, Chris, Iron Man, Trish are in what definition underused or rare? Some of those characters are some of the MOST used characters online while others are used more often in tournaments. The other characters on the list have seen a resurgence in play after EVO most notably Trish.

How is Hsien Ko not in assist character tier? Doom ASSIST TIER? Please tell me you are not serious.

Dorm, Zero and Sentinel saw very little play at EVO. Check the top 32 character usage list.

Dahbomb said:
It's the most profit for the least effort so it's no surprise people would be abusing it. If you aren't using something similar to that then you aren't really playing to win but rather just to explore the game. You can try other set ups but you would be trying much harder.

Combinations like these should be abused until Capcom gets the point. They sort of do that's why the duo is severely nerfed in UMVC3 (Wolverine more so than Akuma).

And that's the thing. No, I'm not. I know I'm not. I understand the ptw mentality. I never whine or complain onLive. Rolling with the punches is very much my MO. I'm not surprised by Wolkuma's popularity; I'm just bored by it now.

And, thinking about it, it isn't even how common the duo is that bothers me (or Wolv by himself), just how comparatively little effort it requires relative to its effectiveness. I probably encounter Dante more than any individual character in the game and yet I *love* going up against him. He's exciting to watch in action and I'm always seeing something new. A great Dante will ruin me but I'll lose with a grin. Against Wolv, it's usually with a sigh and an eye twitch.

On an unrelated note, I think I'm going to try maining MODOK. I think I'm a fighting game hipster. =[

Kimosabae

Banned
WHy has training mode stopped saving my settings? anyone have any ideas? I even try exiting to the Main Menu after setting them and they still reset to default after I go back.

DR2K

Banned
enzo_gt said:
First thought :lol

And lol @ DR2K listing She-Hulk, Ammy and Taskmaster as "Rare." Your list has such a fine line dude.

They're seen more often than some, at least in the past. But these 3 are fading in terms of use.

This isn't a tier list btw. It's just experience relative to me in terms of what I play online and what i see on streams.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Taskmaster has never been above uncommon in use. Calling him brain dead easy is a bit silly when his real combos are actually not brain dead as well and he lacks the mobility of the upper tier characters.

Only thing easy is the basic generic bnb, that was figured out day one. That's not even what you should be doing with him either. Going by that logic dante is easy LOL

JeTmAn81

Ezenzer said:

Edit:

I know that feel, bro. Ever since I hit 4th Lord recently, I've started playing nothing but higher level players. Pretty much every single team features at least one of the following:

Phoenix
Wolverine
Tron assist
Haggar assist
DHC Trick

The most overpowered, soon-to-be-nerfed BS in the game. I use none of this because I don't like to tier whore, but I have a really tough time beating a lot of these guys. I know that Ultimate will correct a lot of this but frankly I think that Ultimate will have its own set of top-tier nonsense.

So I've decided. I'm going to start maining a top-tier team. I just don't want to lose anymore just because somebody else picks characters based on their cheapness and not how they play or how fun they are. I'll still have a couple of other teams with characters that I really like, but I'm definitely going to put in a lot of time with the strongest characters and options in Ultimate.

DR2K said:

Rare characters

Modok
Shuma
Jill
Captain America
Thor
Hsienko
Felicia
X23
Trish

Iron Man
Morrigan
Viper
Chunli
Ryu
Deadpool
Spencer

Storm
Super Skrull
Arthur
Chris
Hulk
Spiderman

Joe
Shehulk
Ammy
Taskmaster

I only play on XBL both player and ranked matches and the bolded characters I see a decent amount. Yea there are a ton of Wolvie / Dante / Wesker / Akuma teams out there, but I've actually been pretty happy with the character variety. Especially coming from SF4 where it was shoto central.

Frantic

I run into so many Hulks, Amaterasus and Ryus online it's not even funny. Hulks are usually paired with Sentinel for that super armor extravaganza. I'm expecting a lot of Hulk/Sentinel/Nemesis teams in Ultimate for that maximum armor combo. As for Amaterasu... easy mode H combo. Ryu seems to be a popular online, too. Especially when paired up with Akuma. Beams, beams and more beams.

I don't see too many Spencers online. He's like the 'best' least used character in the game.

Ezenzer said:
On an unrelated note, I think I'm going to try maining MODOK. I think I'm a fighting game hipster. =[
I was maining MODOK before people started understanding the hard matchups.

*adjusts thick rimmed glasses*
Sir Garbageman said:
Especially coming from SF4 where it was shoto central.
This was the worst goddamn thing about that game. I started picking Zangief after a while just so I could blow up flowchart kens.

Got tired of it though...

Top Bottom