• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Kimosabae said:
Hey God's Beard. Why do you think Viper's TK is her all-around best Assist?
It gives every character an invincible reversal that leads into a kill combo. Makes block strings much more unsafe for your opponent, and it can't be punished.

Anth0ny

enzo_gt said:
WHY ARE YOU HIDING

MANLY SHAOWEBB PICTURE TIME

2r27lnp.jpg

what is this i dont even

Just saw the Darkstalkers: Night Warriors anime and that shit was pretty cool. I wish they would add Donovan to this game. Dude would be baller as fuck with elemental attacks(fire, ice and lightning) and a fucking sword he can control with his mind. Also, Anita is unbearably adorable and soooooo somber.
Isn't he cool? So underrated. We could use more Darkstalkers in this game. Namely, Jedah and Donovan.

I get a little bitter when I see scenes of Morrigan impaling a league of robots with her wings from 50 feet away. Where's my reach in the game?!

Why do people feel the need to pick on Smash Bros. and call it a "kids" game that isn't suitable for serious, competitive play? Many don't even consider it a fighter. Smash Bros. definitely requires skill. Stop dissing a great franchise, lol.
Nintendo angst - it's everywhere. /eyeroll

I want an opinion on the Trish, Dormy, and Supa Skrull team. That may become my future team in Ultimate (might replace Skrull with a new character, though). I don't really know how to use Skrull or Dorm but I find the team synergy to be really amazing with these three. Will have to work on the team in time for Ultimate.
You'll run into problems with both Dormammu and Skrull loving meter, unless you are fine with anchoring Skrull. Dormammu and Skrull also share all the same bad matchups, so if Trish happens to die early and your opponent has good rushdown, they'll both have problems; I used to run Dormammu/Skrull/Doom. Skrull's Orbital Grudge assist is also getting nerfed, and it was the one that was best for Dormammu - I don't find the other two to be too useful.

The hilarious thing about Smash bigotry is that Melee hosts all the things FG "enthusiasts" claim to want from fighters - precise player controls (arguably the sharpest in the genre), high speed, huge skill gaps between competitive players, a flexible combo system and innovation in systems. They mock this game.

And then go play SSF4.
Very insightful!

Smash has a combo system?

Smash has innovation?
It absolutely does, but it has inverse hitstun deterioration in a way - the more damage you take, the more hitsun you suffer!

Hey God's Beard. Why do you think Viper's TK is her all-around best Assist?
There's 1 frame you can cancel it during as an alpha counter, and then it leads into a full combo.

Sayah

You'll run into problems with both Dormammu and Skrull loving meter, unless you are fine with anchoring Skrull. Dormammu and Skrull also share all the same bad matchups, so if Trish happens to die early and your opponent has good rushdown, they'll both have problems; I used to run Dormammu/Skrull/Doom. Skrull's Orbital Grudge assist is also getting nerfed, and it was the one that was best for Dormammu - I don't find the other two to be too useful.

Yeah, I have Skrull at anchor and Trish at point. The strategy revolves around using both Skrull and Dormammu as effective assists for Trish's combos. I pulled off an assist combo with both Skrull and Dorm while I was playing with Solar so maybe he can explain it better. But you are right in that once Trish is out, there isn't much potential left for me. I partly attribute that to my lack of skill with Dormy and Skrull.

In any case, Skrull may very well end up being replaced with one of the new characters.

Yeah, I have Skrull at anchor and Trish at point. The strategy revolves around using both Skrull and Dormammu as effective assists for Trish's combos. I pulled off an assist combo with both Skrull and Dorm while I was playing with Solar so maybe he can explain it better. But you are right in that once Trish is out, there isn't much potential left for me. I partly attribute that to my lack of skill with Dormy and Skrull.

In any case, Skrull may very well end up being replaced with one of the new characters.
I don't mean to suggest that your potential is gone - Skrull is a monster of an anchor, and Dormammu is great second. You might run into matchup issues though, that's all. You can DHC between all 3 easily through High Voltage -> Chaotic Flame -> Skrull Torch, so that's good. Trish definitely likes Dormammu's assists, but probably not Skrull's as much. Trish has pretty general assists, and everyone likes them, haha.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Karsticles said:
It absolutely does, but it has inverse hitstun deterioration in a way - the more damage you take, the more hitsun you suffer!
Wait, your serious, there's an actual combo system to chain normals and specials/command normals? Or is it only vaguely similar to the conventions of a combo system in every other fighter?

I thought, pretty decisively, the style of gameplay in Smash never lent itself to a combo system. Smash I always considered a game where you have to pick your strikes very decisively, and then spend the time in between planning your next strike. Not really hit and run, but not really an assault either. It's really a tug of war kind of thing, with baits and all. If it does indeed have a conventional combo system, I've never seen it in action I think. Or maybe my eyes deceive me.

I don't have anything against Smash, put hours and hours into it at my friend's houses, but saying it's deeper than any other fighting game I can't stomach. Similarity and unification of characters movesets are what make it easy to pick up and play any character with ease, but the simplicity (not only that but the lack of balancing or care for balancing, which I don't blame them for as it is targeted at kids and it shouldn't be a design goal for that kind of game anyways) is also what holds the series back from being as hot of a competitive game as it could be.

Dahbomb

I could never grasp the mechanics behind Smash Bros to really get behind it that much. But I have never hated on it, I have seen the skill and dedication put into the game and it is something. It is no surprise that a lot of Smash Bros players have made an easy transition into MVC3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
I could never grasp the mechanics behind Smash Bros to really get behind it that much. But I have never hated on it, I have seen the skill and dedication put into the game and it is something. It is no surprise that a lot of Smash Bros players have made an easy transition into MVC3.
Yup, the verticality element and the emphasis on anticipating strikes and narrow openings are a few of the skills that carry over. Smash players get into MvC3 and these things just click for them.

It gets the hate because it isn't traditional like every other fighter, even though Smash has been around forever as well.

Kimosabae

Banned
I thought you were trolling, which is why I didn't answer you before.

Melee's combo system is largely improvisational, though there's standard guidelines to follow regarding what percentage your opponent is at or what character they're playing. potential followups after any given hit can be effected by not only the opponent's percentage (which varies), but the opponent's character's weight and falling speed.

A popular example is Marth's chain grabs and aerial followups from grabs on Fox/Falco. At lower percentages, Marth can toss them with Up Throw, and grab them again before they hit the ground. If the Marth is skilled, he can do this with impunity until FOx/Falco reach a higher percentage and then kill them with an aerial combo or forward smash.

Because these two characters fall quickly, they fall prey to a heavy array of juggle possibilities - think of them as Strider-like pixie characters. Their offense and technical potential is near unparalleled in the game, but they're balanced by their propensity to be ToD'd by characters such as Marth/Ganon/Falcon et al.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-diM94E8A

That's just falling speed. Weight comes into play largely from grabs. Grabs are important in Melee. They setup the game's version of okizeme or lead to combo potential depending on the percentage/characters onscreen. The heavier the character being thrown is in relation to the character executing the throw - the harder they are to throw. i.e. Ganon and Samus are considered some of the heavier characters in the game. Marth isn't particular strong/heavy. Thus, when he throws Ganon/Samus forward (his best combo throw setup against characters of "normal" fallspeeds) - Marth lags from the throw, making followups tricky - he essentially has less "frame advantage" when throwing these characters - but the amount of advantage changes in relation to percentages!

When Marth throws Fox/Falco, the throw executes extremely quickly and Marth recovers quickly, because those characters are light, which is another reason why chaingrabbing them is possible.

That's just skimming the surface really.

Anth0ny

enzo_gt said:
Wait, your serious, there's an actual combo system to chain normals and specials/command normals? Or is it only vaguely similar to the conventions of a combo system in every other fighter?

I thought, pretty decisively, the style of gameplay in Smash never lent itself to a combo system.

sigh

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't have anything against Smash, put hours and hours into it at my friend's houses, but saying it's deeper than any other fighting game I can't stomach. Similarity and unification of characters movesets are what make it easy to pick up and play any character with ease, but the simplicity (not only that but the lack of balancing or care for balancing, which I don't blame them for as it is targeted at kids and it shouldn't be a design goal for that kind of game anyways) is also what holds the series back from being as hot of a competitive game as it could be.

Not sure what you mean here. The similarity between movesets in Smash are just as similar as the movesets between characters in Marvel or Street Fighter. If you mean INPUTS, well, Marvel doesn't go any further than fireball motion or dragon punch motion.

And the lack of balancing didn't stop Marvel 2 from living for 10 years. Same exact deal with Melee, which turns 10 this December, and still enjoys 200+ man NATIONAL tournaments.

Melee was at Evo in 2007, and second most entrants at the tournament, just after Marvel 2. Then Brawl had to get released the next year and fuck everything up =(

Kimosabae said:
I thought you were trolling, which is why I didn't answer you before.

Melee's combo system is largely improvisational, though there's standard guidelines to follow regarding what percentage your opponent is at or what character they're playing. potential followups after any given hit can be effected by not only the opponent's percentage (which varies), but the opponent's character's weight and falling speed.

A popular example is Marth's chain grabs and aerial followups from grabs on Fox/Falco. At lower percentages, Marth can toss them with Up Throw, and grab them again before they hit the ground. If the Marth is skilled, he can do this with impunity until FOx/Falco reach a higher percentage and then kill them with an aerial combo or forward smash.

Because these two characters fall quickly, they fall prey to a heavy array of juggle possibilities - think of them as Strider-like pixie characters. Their offense and technical potential is near unparalleled in the game, but they're balanced by their propensity to be ToD'd by characters such as Marth/Ganon/Falcon et al.

That's just falling speed. Weight comes into play largely from grabs. Grabs are important in Melee. They setup the game's version of okizeme or lead to combo potential depending on the percentage/characters onscreen. The heavier the character being thrown is in relation to the character executing the throw - the harder they are to throw. i.e. Ganon and Samus are considered some of the heavier characters in the game. Marth isn't particular strong/heavy. Thus, when he throws Ganon/Samus forward (his best combo throw setup against characters of "normal" fallspeeds) - Marth lags from the throw, making followups tricky - he essentially has less "frame advantage" when throwing these characters - but the amount of advantage changes in relation to percentages!

When Marth throws Fox/Falco, the throw executes extremely quickly and Marth recovers quickly, because those characters are light, which is another reason why chaingrabbing them is possible.

That's just skimming the surface really.

Understatement.

It's no coincidence that this game has been alive and kicking for 10 years, with no signs of slowing down. New stuff is continuously discovered at every national. Jiggypuff was once though to be an average character (maybe 4 years ago, which is 6 years after the game was released!), and now dominates the meta game, and is considered a top 3 character.

As mentioned above, stuff like weight, fallspeeds, percentages and directional influence are simply non-existent in other fighting games. Which is why Melee is so unique and fun to play.

So yeah, Marvel.

Frantic

Good games, Tobe. Some crazy moments in there. I was laughing when I was running down the clock with Dark Phoenix against your regular Phoenix(I don't use Phoenix, so I knew I'd get blown up if you went Dark).

Am I the only person who actually likes facing off against Phoenix? I find fighting her very fun for some reason...

Dahbomb

Just saw the FT5 MM FChamp vs ChrisG.

FChamp is definitely going to be looking into Ghost Rider while ChrisG is going to fucking BEAST everyone with new Ryu.

Thunder Knuckle H cancel on hit isn't a 1-frame link, only the two grounded ones.
Oh really? What is it then, at your leisure?

I thought, pretty decisively, the style of gameplay in Smash never lent itself to a combo system. Smash I always considered a game where you have to pick your strikes very decisively, and then spend the time in between planning your next strike. Not really hit and run, but not really an assault either. It's really a tug of war kind of thing, with baits and all. If it does indeed have a conventional combo system, I've never seen it in action I think. Or maybe my eyes deceive me.
It absolutely does have a combo system, just like any other fighter. Whenever you hit your opponent, that opponent is placed into hitstun. If you are good, you can keep hitting your opponent before he/she recovers, but there's a lot of depth to this because hitstun scales with damage, so you have to understand when your character can combo and how.

IIRC, Morrigan's "Wombo Combo" name actually originates from Smash.

Smash Melee is actually very execution heavy - far beyond MvC3. It's truly one of those games where it moves exactly as fast as you can make it move - there are no limits unless you are a computer. MvC3's execution is generally timing-based.

You should read some interviews with Sakurai about Melee - he did design it to be fast and deep. Not Brawl though. I'm not the kind to make a "deeper than any other fighting game" argument, but Smash doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves. It's just below Marvel for me in my favorite fighting games series.

sigh

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Those are great videos.

Am I the only person who actually likes facing off against Phoenix? I find fighting her very fun for some reason...
You would love fighting me then.

FChamp is definitely going to be looking into Ghost Rider while ChrisG is going to fucking BEAST everyone with new Ryu.
FChamp posted on SRK's Dormammu forums, and seems very pumped about the possibility of him being top tier now.

Karsticles said:
Oh really? What is it then, at your leisure?
I don't remember and I didn't bring my guide with me to San Fran, but it's at least a few frames, it's super easy. You basically roll from H to S and it just works every time, no double tapping or anything.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Frantic said:
I usually enjoy it. As long as you're using a character who can actually catch her and/or has some kind of invincible move, it's not that bad.

I don't normally lose to Phoenixes who don't have teammates that pull their own weight. If I have meter and X-Factor when she goes DP, I'm usually still in a good position.

Tobe

Frantic said:
Good games, Tobe. Some crazy moments in there. I was laughing when I was running down the clock with Dark Phoenix against your regular Phoenix(I don't use Phoenix, so I knew I'd get blown up if you went Dark).

man this is the first time i get salty when playing someone from gaf. i mean i dislike smurf play style but in the end its fun, but you frantic damn you have the crown for my worst match ups. spencer zipline or whatever it is just ugh :( , dante hitboxes well DAT RANGE, yeah shield skill too. but yeah you played really good, i cant blocked dantes normal im too used to the acid rain mix ups that the "easy" ones get me all the time :(

i fucked up a lot of time with phoenix a lot of matches i shouldnt have lost some matches but poor meter management on my part and missed inputs fucked me up :(

i am doomed for Ultimate i cant zone for shit :( SMURF TEACH ME THE WAYS OF THE LAME!

I don't normally lose to Phoenixes who don't have teammates that pull their own weight. If I have meter and X-Factor when she goes DP, I'm usually still in a good position.
It's hilarious how many Phoenix players teleport against Morrigan and don't understand that there's a fireball coming from Morrigan's illusion, haha.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Karsticles said:
It's hilarious how many Phoenix players teleport against Morrigan and don't understand that there's a fireball coming from Morrigan's illusion, haha.
Part of the reason I defend Finishing Shower is because Phoenix players have this inexplicable tendency to just teleport right into it.

smurfx

get some go again
Tobe1 said:
man this is the first time i get salty when playing someone from gaf. i mean i dislike smurf play style but in the end its fun, but you frantic damn you have the crown for my worst match ups. spencer zipline or whatever it is just ugh :( , dante hitboxes well DAT RANGE, yeah shield skill too. but yeah you played really good, i cant blocked dantes normal im too used to the acid rain mix ups that the "easy" ones get me all the time :(

i fucked up a lot of time with phoenix a lot of matches i shouldnt have lost some matches but poor meter management on my part and missed inputs fucked me up :(

i am doomed for Ultimate i cant zone for shit :( SMURF TEACH ME THE WAYS OF THE LAME!
hey even i'm going to have to learn new ways to zone in ultimate as i'll be changing teams. hey frantic i'd love to play you sometime as well. add me on live. smurfxzilla is my name.

Anth0ny

Dahbomb said:
Just saw the FT5 MM FChamp vs ChrisG.

It's quite scary how hard some players are going to dominate with obscure characters.

Chris G with Ryu. MarlinPie with Viper. Combofiend with Spencer (and Taskmaster really). These guys are already ridiculously good with these characters, and from what I could tell, they're receiving buffs. Insane.

Part of the reason I defend Finishing Shower is because Phoenix players have this inexplicable tendency to just teleport right into it.
Haha, it's funny how many Trish players randomly use High Voltage hoping I don't know it has a hitbox behind her.

Frantic

Karsticles said:
You would love fighting me then.
Haha, maybe so. I don't know, with most teams I can just sort of autopilot my attack. If one plan fails, I just go onto the next, and continue running through the list until I land a hit. With Phoenix, I have to plan which character I use to fight her, how much meter I have, when to snap, or to not snap entirely, x-factor usage and what have you... I guess I like the fact that it's not as simple as routine rush down. I actually like facing off against zoning teams, and just general unorthodox playstyles for the same reason.

Tobe1 said:

i fucked up a lot of time with phoenix a lot of matches i shouldnt have lost some poor meter management on my part, missed inputs :(

lol, I played a LOT better than I normally do. High/low mixups usually open me up so bad, but I managed to block most of them. Probably because it wasn't a Ranked match, where I'm TRYING hard to win and end up screwing up because I tried too hard.
I was dropping a lot of combos as well. Usually, I'm a lot more accurate with Dante's Stinger > Volcano, but I was getting Crystal nearly every time. Also a lot of dropped Volcano > Bee Hive, but that input is a pain on the 360 controller. My biggest failure was the last match where I did Million Dollars for no reason after I killed your Akuma. I was trying to wave dash and it just came out.

smurfx said:
hey even i'm going to have to learn new ways to zone in ultimate as i'll be changing teams. hey frantic i'd love to play you sometime as well. add me on live. smurfxzilla is my name.
Sure thing. I'll add you when I have some free time.

Azure J

Yay, Marvel-GAF & Smash-GAF getting along. <3

We are in desperate need of something with Melee's precision and new legit concepts. I hope Sakurai relents on his stance regarding how the game should be played. Seriously, you can't create something so massively sandbox and give it to people only to tell them later "sorry, you can't do that with my sand."

I'm one of the few guys that actually likes/d Brawl but that's mostly due to having a ton of characters I've gotten some fun matches with (good God Lucas is one of my favorite characters in the series ever, Pit is soooo good, and Brawl Fox has so many clever things going for him), but there's no doubt that there's so much more that could have been done for it. (Marth main since forever here, Luigi in N64 though)

On topic now, I'm trying to cycle through some potential teams for Ultimate in my theory monstering crash course and finding it pretty funny that the only two that seem to never move out of their spots are Dante & Vergil. (Currently still locked on Dante/Morrigan/Vergil)

C. Viper
Dante
Vergil
Morrigan
Phoenix (still wanna see if I can make some Phoenix on point shenanigans/tech)
Dr. Strange
Dormammu
Zero
Strider
Magneto (?)
Firebrand (?)

These are pretty much all the characters through both vanilla and Ultimate that I still want to run teams with, but with little to no real Marvel fighting experience I have to wonder what you all think I should be looking at first in terms of making a team and also who you think synergizes with who off this list. :p

[/just really bored and haven't had much Marvel to chat about really]

shaowebb

AzureJericho said:
Yay, Marvel-GAF & Smash-GAF getting along. <3

We are in desperate need of something with Melee's precision and new legit concepts. I hope Sakurai relents on his stance regarding how the game should be played. Seriously, you can't create something so massively sandbox and give it to people only to tell them later "sorry, you can't do that with my sand."

I'm one of the few guys that actually likes/d Brawl but that's mostly due to having a ton of characters I've gotten some fun matches with, but there's no doubt that there's so much more that could have been done for it.

On topic now, I'm trying to cycle through some potential teams for Ultimate in my theory monstering crash course and finding it pretty funny that the only two that seem to never move out of their spots are Dante & Vergil. (Currently still locked on Dante/Morrigan/Vergil)

C. Viper
Dante
Vergil
Morrigan
Phoenix (still wanna see if I can make some Phoenix on point shenanigans/tech)
Dr. Strange
Dormammu
Zero
Strider
Magneto (?)
Firebrand (?)

These are pretty much all the characters through both vanilla and Ultimate that I still want to run teams with, but with little to no real Marvel fighting experience I have to wonder what you all think I should be looking at first in terms of making a team and also who you think synergizes with who off this list. :p

[/just really bored and haven't had much Marvel to chat about really]

IRON. FIST.
You will need him. You will love him.

Look.
<-----
He even has his own tier and everything! How can you not want a guy on your team wearing a popped collar, green and yellow tights, slippers, and rocking a shirt unbuttoned to his navel to show off his ink? He's obviously the most comfortable one out there.

Straight out da 70's and able to kick the heads in on any jive suckas he finds standing between him and his q-tip on the side Misty Knight because once you go q-tip you never go back baby.

It always needs more Iron fist on every team. Not enough bandanna for your style? Iron Fist.

Suckas shakin salt on your game. Start da' fistin'.

Need 90% more collar to protect your head from dive kicks? Pow! Pow! Both sides are fully collar popped brotha!

Iron Fist. For all your true Ultimate needs.

I hasn't slept in foreeeeeeeeever.

Ultimoo said:
ps3 pad.

@solarpowered: why you play on xbox for UMvC3 only? :(
PS3 pad is absolute ass and the replacements are solid at best. What you have played against this whole time is the dog chained to his doghouse in the backyard. You just haven't noticed it because the chain is long as fuck and the MAHVEL yard is big as hell.

Is there ANY converter out there that would allow to use 360 controllers on the PS3?
Kimosabae said:
The hilarious thing about Smash bigotry is that Melee hosts all the things FG "enthusiasts" claim to want from fighters - precise player controls (arguably the sharpest in the genre), high speed, huge skill gaps between competitive players, a flexible combo system and innovation in systems. They mock this game.

And then go play SSF4.
The hypocrisy coming from the community at times seems absolutely mind bending and it hurts to think about it.

Almost any non-Capcom fighter is dismissed by a ridiculous amount of people who just go back to their respective forums to bitch about the stuff they are missing from their Capcom fighters when there are tons of options out there.

I'm even guilty of it myself. Coming around here makes me feel kinda bad at times just because of the fact that I can't stand using a team that I clearly puts me at a disadvantage and it drives me up a wall when Capcom does it's faceless corporation routine or tries to skirt by the issues with Seth(who I like btw). Every time I jump into a Skullgirls thread I've got the biggest smile on my face because what they say, do and even make jives with what I want in a fighting game so well that you'd think they are psychic or something. It'd be the same thing with Smash Bros if Nintendo weren't retarded about their online and Darkstallkers: OE if Capcom made ANYTHING besides Street Fighter/Resident evil. Gotta broaden my horizons for my own sanity already and going 360 exclusive is a big part of that.

Capcom makes masochists too many of us.
Karsticles said:
Isn't he cool? So underrated. We could use more Darkstalkers in this game. Namely, Jedah and Donovan.
I'd prefer Donovan since he actually stands a real chance of getting in. Jedah poses a larger problem for Capcom since his very existence pushes the game into M rated territory with 3D modeled blood and gore.

If I could change my male Darkstalker vote to Donovan I would, but a following has been built around Jon Talbain now and we have to maintain some sort of solidarity if we want to see another Darsktalker representative that ain't a female(at all, really).
Karsticles said:
I get a little bitter when I see scenes of Morrigan impaling a league of robots with her wings from 50 feet away. Where's my reach in the game?!
I get pretty bitter too. Just watching the anime makes it clear that Darstalkers are in a league of their own. It's annoying to see because her flexible spikes are even a part of the intro movies in MvC3...
Sayah said:
It's cool because it's a nice to way avoid the need for an OTG move. Throw out the Skrull assist that punches high and it gives you plenty of time to go for a perfectly viable relaunch into the combo. It complements Trish pretty well, actually. Adding roundhouse normals to it also looked pretty damned cool I'll tell you. I would go further into it, but I'm not one for in depth explanations and I do most of my gaming and recording by feel/instinct which makes recalling things kind of difficult...
enzo_gt said:
Yup, the verticality element and the emphasis on anticipating strikes and narrow openings are a few of the skills that carry over. Smash players get into MvC3 and these things just click for them.
It is probably why I rage at the game so damned often even though it's my own fault. I'd easily be at an 85%< win percentage if I didn't stick with the slow and blue midget that has dashes which can't even autocorrect properly and a general moveset that does not lend itself to combos/point games very well.

The mechanics in MvC3 have come much closer to 1:1 input for me than any other fighter besides Smash Bros. Melee(which takes it by far even so). Both games are the best examples of tight control in the genre so far. It is just a shame that it took so long for another game this tight to come along and it's even more of a shame that biased fools shit on Smash without exploring it further after TEN years.

With some luck... Skullgirls will be similar to both games in that respect.
Sixfortyfive said:
Step 1:Bait the teleport
Step 2: DHC into Shuffle/Tenrai-HA
Step 3: ???
Step 4: PROFIT!

I just think that a beam for Morrigan could be retrofitted to work in the same way and the justification could be pretty simple. Bitch is a BROKEN TIER demon that would make Ryu and Akuma's beams look like peashooters by comparison.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'd prefer jedah in the game just cause unlike donovan there is no way to make jedah suck :p But hey you know what, Firebrand is actually close enough in a weird way :D

Anth0ny

SolarPowered said:
Is there ANY converter out there that would allow to use 360 controllers on the PS3?

Madcatz is releasing an MLG controller for PS3 and 360.

MadCatz-MLG-controller.jpg

Fully customizable. Move analog sticks and d-pads wherever you want. I'm buying one for PS3, cause I hate the dualshock.

Haha, maybe so. I don't know, with most teams I can just sort of autopilot my attack. If one plan fails, I just go onto the next, and continue running through the list until I land a hit. With Phoenix, I have to plan which character I use to fight her, how much meter I have, when to snap, or to not snap entirely, x-factor usage and what have you... I guess I like the fact that it's not as simple as routine rush down. I actually like facing off against zoning teams, and just general unorthodox playstyles for the same reason.
I definitely classify under "unique". Unfortunately I'm not going to have much playtime for the next year.

I think he's just coping out. If you find interviews about hard he worked one Melee, he basically said he would never want to have to work that hard to make a Smash game like that again. I think the whole "anti-competitive" perspective is just his excuse for not wanting to go all the way again.

I'm one of the few guys that actually likes/d Brawl but that's mostly due to having a ton of characters I've gotten some fun matches with (good God Lucas is one of my favorite characters in the series ever, Pit is soooo good, and Brawl Fox has so many clever things going for him), but there's no doubt that there's so much more that could have been done for it. (Marth main since forever here, Luigi in N64 though)
I disliked Brawl because the online was terrible, loltripping, and the characters I like to play are Samus, Bowser, and my main....Ganondorf. -_-

PS3 pad is absolute ass and the replacements are solid at best. What you have played against this whole time is the dog chained to his doghouse in the backyard. You just haven't noticed it because the chain is long as fuck and the MAHVEL yard is big as hell.

I've heard of them. Keep in mind that most people feel the PS3 pad is superior.

I'd prefer Donovan since he actually stands a real chance of getting in. Jedah poses a larger problem for Capcom since his very existence pushes the game into M rated territory with 3D modeled blood and gore.
If they can make Nemesis work...!

If I could change my male Darkstalker vote to Donovan I would, but a following has been built around Jon Talbain now and we have to maintain some sort of solidarity if we want to see another Darsktalker representative that ain't a female(at all, really).
Fuck Talbain.

I get pretty bitter too. Just watching the anime makes it clear that Darstalkers are in a league of their own. It's annoying to see because her flexible spikes are even a part of the intro movies in MvC3...
Skrull-like command grabs IMO!

I find this difficult to enjoy.

I agree, fuck Talbain.

Darkstalkers better than Talbain: Everyone but Lord Raptor.

Darkstalkers that should have been in MVC3 over Felicia:

Donovan
Jedah
Huitzil
Q-Bee
Pyron
Anakaris
BB Hood

Azure J

biosnake20 said:

Woooooooooow, I mean I know this is Jago's M.O, but damn. I feel like this should be called the regression special.

Karst, I know what you mean so badly with Ganondorf. Sure Nintendo, give him the most fun special move in the history of his play style (side B Flame Choke grab) but make him slow as fuck and still a C. Falcon improv with all of your Brawl development... :(

I guess I'm just one of those weird guys that can find something to like in almost anything.

Edit: B.B. Hood is a God Tier Darkstalker, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Kimosabae

Banned
There's absolutely nothing I hate more than someone wasting my time (and other people's) under the pretense of wanting a better understanding of something and not leaving any feedback. Makes you look like even more of a troll.

Anth0ny said:
Madcatz is releasing an MLG controller for PS3 and 360.

MadCatz-MLG-controller.jpg

Fully customizable. Move analog sticks and d-pads wherever you want. I'm buying one for PS3, cause I hate the dualshock.
Well, it looks cool...

xbox dpad looks ok

edit: sorry about the dp

Dahbomb

Kimosabae said:
There's absolutely nothing I hate more than someone wasting my time (and other people's) under the pretense of wanting a better understanding of something and not leaving any feedback. Makes you look like even more of a troll.
Welcome to my world. :)

Also I don't really know who this was aimed at. I am sure some people haven't gotten around to read all of it. I read it but don't really know what to make of it. Mostly stuff I knew before.

Sayah

Karsticles said:
I don't mean to suggest that your potential is gone - Skrull is a monster of an anchor, and Dormammu is great second. You might run into matchup issues though, that's all. You can DHC between all 3 easily through High Voltage -> Chaotic Flame -> Skrull Torch, so that's good. Trish definitely likes Dormammu's assists, but probably not Skrull's as much. Trish has pretty general assists, and everyone likes them, haha.

Skrull in x-factor is quite deadly. I use Skrull's tenderizer assist rather than stone smite (although stone smite also works for the purposes I need it for).

The general combo strategy is to use Dorm's assist when I have a combo on-going with Trish and have her on ground. I use Trish's boomerang while Dorm's dark hole is in effect. The boomerang hits the opponent and goes far back in the stage. Then, I launch and do two medium hits. The boomerang comes back and connects. Then I use the hopscotch in air (and it actually does connect) and do an aerial crossover. Dorm's chaotic flame can be used and then that can be followed up with Trish's round harvest. Then, I can go in air with Trish and once the boomerang finishes, her high voltage can be used in air. After that, Dorm can be brought out again to use his fireball hyper.

Not sure if that explanation is good but hopefully it makes general sense.

Sayah

It's cool because it's a nice to way avoid the need for an OTG move. Throw out the Skrull assist that punches high and it gives you plenty of time to go for a perfectly viable relaunch into the combo. It complements Trish pretty well, actually. Adding roundhouse normals to it also looked pretty damned cool I'll tell you. I would go further into it, but I'm not one for in depth explanations and I do most of my gaming and recording by feel/instinct which makes recalling things kind of difficult...

I'm trying to work on team synergy at the moment to make it more viable. I'll have to try more combo strategies with assists. The more I look at this game, the deeper it gets as far as mechanics go. I had dropped the game for a month before. But now I've been playing nothing but Marvel for some time. There's too much potential for team strategy and creativity.

Sixfortyfive said:
Funny thing about CFE is that it lends weight to Karst's hypothesis that Darkstalkers are OP when all of their natural advantages make the transition intact.
I don't think Morrigan and Felicia would be all that better if you just dropped them in from VS.

Top Bottom