• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Checking his discussion board on SRK blew my mind the other day. Dude is practically one of the most underrepresented characters in the game over there.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Frantic said:
Man, Ray Ray's Ryu is so good. That Light Air Tatsu crossup with Sentinel Drones was amazing. Ryu is such an underated character.
Having recently picked up Ryu, he is SO much fun to play compared to other characters. Every hit is so impactful, the beam is so boss. And yeah, Unibeam assist + light aerial Tatsu crossup is fun, because you can just see your impending doom circling down towards you >:D

Dahbomb

Ryu is like Iron Man, only reason why he is under played is because some other douche is running the top tiers up stairs and usually does stuff better.

Ordinary guy isn't going to be ordinary in UMVC3.

shaowebb

What the hell...?
I leave for a second and suddenly everyone is praising Ryu Sentinel?
My team has been like ?/Ryu/Sentinel for awhile now (though I'm likely dumping sent for Spencer).

I know I'm not that good given how little I get to do anything other than school but I'm sure I've mentioned drones + Light tatsu before. Ryu is pretty damned solid on damage and his light Tatsu is pretty much always the shit to look out for due to its crossup capabilities.

It was getting so looked for that I'd start throwing out on occasion a random hadoken out of jumping range whilst falling from a super jump to draw out an attack attempt before going into L Tatsu.

Good lows, good extensions with any pressure assist (chun was good for awhile but damage sucked hard). Plus everything leads to shinko from him and he is a damned scary dude with meter since you never know if its being saved for combo finishes or just being kept as a deterrent because of all that invincible tatsu and Shin Shoryuken gold.

He's not something new. He's just been passed up for (like you said) folks who do it all easier and less predictably. After all...his main weakness is getting in. Its all jump tatsu all the time with his occasional jump L used instead (pretty quick and beats more than you'd think).

Dahbomb

WTF are you doing here? Vergil and Iron Fist revealed kids make your way to the official thread like right now!

Vergil = Top tier and bad ass as expected

pOChi.png

Just an ordinary guy installing plasma

Dahbomb

Been saying that for a year. When Capcom decided to put in Vergil, he was destined to be a top character.

I am almost sure that his Stinger is simply special cancelable and doesn't require a bold cancel of any sort. Seems to be used WAY too often in the reveal trailer to be a bold cancel, in one instant the guy just did a random Stinger into special cancel for the follow up against an air borne enemy. Not even pros have that level of play with Dante where they can do random Stinger BC Teleport j.H on reaction.

And Vergil's teleports aren't as fast as people are saying. Easily punishable on reaction although I don't think any decent player will use them naked. His st.L also isn't that fast at all nor does it have godly range like Dante st.L. His LVL3 also in fact might be a LVL4.

Dahbomb

I use Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma already and a lot of people use that particular team too. :/

Only thing unique about me is that I use Iron Man more than most people. I am going to be maining the fuck out of Vergil even if everyone and their grand ma uses him. I waited too long to play as him again.

mr. puppy

Banned
give Vergil second and Ghostrider third with that ridiculous wall bounce assist and you've got a great team in the making.

She-Hulk might be a great point character for that team hmmmm

shaowebb

So who else is praying Iron Fist Ax Kick = assist?

Overhead+OTG +Fast as fuck=sooo good

Its like me and Dahbomb got all our X-mas presents early with these two. So many tools, and potential team ups.

If Ax Kick is an assist imagine the BS you could setup with certain guys. From overhead unblockables to just good ol OTG extensions like with Wesker it'll be the shit. IF crumple gut punch goes in as an assist it just gets crazier.

So much hype right now.

smurfx

get some go again
SolarPowered said:
Dahbomb is gonna drown in a sea of Vergils and he is gonna love every second of it.
mayoth.gif

imagine all those pokemon being virgils and dahbomb being the guy in the middle.

smurfx

get some go again
well i've reached the 2,000 win milestone on ranked marvel gaf. :O felt really sharp too as i got my wins. i think the first few days on an no carb diet makes me feel like shit.

Neki

smurfx said:
well i've reached the 2,000 win milestone on ranked marvel gaf. :O felt really sharp too as i got my wins. i think the first few days on an no carb diet makes me feel like shit.
how many of those are against competent players?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at 700 now and I'm starting to edge closer to 4th Lord. Kinda dreading it actually.

personally, I'm only using Dr. Strange so that every time I defeat Karst, it's going to follow Marvel canon.
I honestly think that Dr. Strange matchup is in Dormammu's favor, since Dr. Strange pretty much only has projectiles plus his teleport and Dormammu's normals destroy projectiles.

Neki

Karsticles said:
I honestly think that Dr. Strange matchup is in Dormammu's favor, since Dr. Strange pretty much only has projectiles plus his teleport and Dormammu's normals destroy projectiles.
Dr. Strange has to overcome huge odds to beat Dormmamu? even better for the canon.

smurfx

get some go again
Karsticles said:
but strange has that hyper that counters projectile hypers and that teleport that teleports him right behind people who throw projectiles at him. if dormmamu throws out his pillar and strange does that projectile teleport then he will have all the time in the world to do what he wants to dormammu as his pillars leave him very vulnerable.

but strange has that hyper that counters projectile hypers and that teleport that teleports him right behind people who throw projectiles at him. if dormmamu throws out his pillar and strange does that projectile teleport then he will have all the time in the world to do what he wants to dormammu as his pillars leave him very vulnerable.
Dormammu players rush teleporters, we don't try to zone them because it's impossible and gets us killed. None of those tools matter to Dormammu; Dr. Strange is going to have to play keepaway from Dormammu, a fellow teleporter.

smurfx

get some go again
Karsticles said:
Dormammu players rush teleporters, we don't try to zone them because it's impossible and gets us killed. None of those tools matter to Dormammu; Dr. Strange is going to have to play keepaway from Dormammu, a fellow teleporter.
doesn't Eye of Agamotto follow players? wouldn't he just throw that out and teleport and let dormammu get hit? i think his mix up options are better than dormammu's.

doesn't Eye of Agamotto follow players? wouldn't he just throw that out and teleport and let dormammu get hit? i think his mix up options are better than dormammu's.
Eye of Agamotto has a huge startup and disappears if Dr. Strange takes damage, and then he has to use a separate move to make it move and track, and it only goes about 50% of the screen distance. And, again, if Dormammu attacks the Eye, it will be destroyed. Dormammu has a trijump with two attacks that cross-up. Dr. Strange doesn't even have an air dash. Dormammu completely stomps him in mobility and also has no reason to fear his projectile abilities. Dr. Strange's projectile counter hyper won't even help against 3D0C because there's no way your opponent will be able to reliably activate it in the 15 frame startup 3D0C has, which looks to be unchanged.

JeTmAn81

I reached 4th Lord at around 200 something wins, but my win percentage has gone steadily down since then :p. 4th Scout now.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Dahbomb said:
Do d,d + S and then S again really fast as it hits. The follow up air combo is actually trickier.
i just recently figured out that hit stun deterioration affects your ability to do that relaunch.

enzo_gt said:
Got a 2mb update launching the game today. Hmm?
I got a similar update on the same exact day of Comic Con and it took like fifteen minutes to download for some odd reason. I was hyped as hell because I thought they were going to Sega Saturn us with Spectator mode before revealing DLC character packs/an expansion.

We all know how that turned out...

LakeEarth

Yeah, which is why Combofiend usually only does HS in the air instead of MMHS.

I made it to 4th lord really fast at the beginning of the game, started losing points when I hit 4th lord, and now I can only keep "stable" at my rank.

Vergil still has no strong air control beyond the teleport. I think Strider's teleport dive kick covers something no other teleporter has, and he will easily be the most terrifying character in this roster. Vergil will be high/top just because he has a teleport, and one should never forget Karsticles' First Law of Teleporters in Marvel.

Dahbomb

Summoned Swords (especially the Storm Sword formation) and huge range on his air normals is going to give him all the air control he needs coupled with his teleports (one teleport in front, one behind and one up so it's not like anyone is going to run away from Vergil). All of his anti-air move can be teleport cancelled and plus he has the Ultimate Judgment Cut hyper for full screen air control. I am pretty sure his j.H OS game is going to be ridiculously good too, better than Dante's. In DT he has double jump and an air dash plus faster over all speed. His j.S is a dive kick and his general abare is very strong.

Oh and... he has Trish's tracking Round Trip projectile too. No one has seen it but he has it in UMVC3 too I posted a pic of it.

Summoned Swords (especially the Storm Sword formation) and huge range on his air normals is going to give him all the air control he needs coupled with his teleports (one teleport in front, one behind and one up so it's not like anyone is going to run away from Vergil). All of his anti-air move can be teleport cancelled and plus he has the Ultimate Judgment Cut hyper for full screen air control. I am pretty sure his j.H OS game is going to be ridiculously good too, better than Dante's. In DT he has double jump and an air dash plus faster over all speed. His j.S is a dive kick and his general abare is very strong.
I don't think blowing meter for anti-airs is really defensible unless you plan to run him with a battery. I don't feel the rest is anything special for air control, but there's no use arguing it.

Frantic

Vergil is totally going to overshadow Dante, just like in DMC3. Especially since Dante is getting nerfed. It's going to end up in a sort of 'why use Ryu over Akuma' or 'why use Zero over Wolverine' comparison in vanilla. Makes me a little sad... still totally repping Dante no matter what, though. Character loyalty and all that. I'm not going to complain about it, though. Dante - even with his 'nerfs' - is going to be high tier at the very least.

Karsticles said:
I don't think blowing meter for anti-airs is really defensible unless you plan to run him with a battery. I don't feel the rest is anything special for air control, but there's no use arguing it.
Vergil's gameplan is going to revolve around blowing through a LOT of meter. He's definitely going to tie with C. Viper as the most 'meter-heavy' character in the game, possibly even MORE than her. First character with a 'Level 4' AND a 'Level 2', two hypers that don't build meter. Dude's going to be spending that meter all over the place. Unlike C. Viper, though, I think he's going to suffer from heavy hit-stun deterioration and damage scaling if you end up using his summoned swords a lot.

Top Bottom