• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

DR2K

Banned
Viscant solely relied on Wesker and Hagger for most of his matches. Of the 3 Phoenix got the least amount of nerfs.

Phoenix is still going to dominate.

Dahbomb

I think Phoenix is still in top 10 because A) XF LVL3 is still absurdly powerful B) air X Factor helps Phoenix more than it hurts her C) Nerfs to her are mostly discovered on regular Phoenix, Dark Phoenix is mostly unchanged D) Meter removing TACs are inconsequential and the other meter removing moves are extremely situational in usage or just hard to connect.

She isn't the best character because she doesn't dominate the match ups at much as regular Phoenix. So many times regular Phoenix would take out 2 characters without using any meter or assists because she dominates so many matches thanks to those god damn salty balls. This will allow her to be targeted post snap backs much easier as she can't buy time with salty balls as well anymore. Using a salty ball now requires a conscious tactical decision rather than going into auto-pilot mode and doing salty balls -> teleports all day.

Wesker is also going no where. The only substantial nerf to him is in the health department. Everyone who was playing Wesker in the builds was wrecking with him including Maximillian himself. As a Wesker player myself, I am not worried at all and he will be remaining on my team. However Wesker is going to be in a very crowded high tier list so his usage will be a bit decreased.

Haggar is ass, easily bottom 3 character now. Viscant can easily go back to Wesker/Iron Man/Phoenix and all of his tech would be largely unchanged.

Frantic said:
It's true that Viscant might not make top 8 next year, but I think it's definitely possible that he could make it. He's a very smart and very skilled player, and the only times it really came down to Phoenix were with the other top players who were considered contenders for the win. Most of the time it was Wesker putting in the work, and sometimes it was just normal Phoenix on her own ending the matches. I think if he changed his team to two good point characters and a good assist, he'd do just as well if not better than with Phoenix. Phoenix, against a skilled player, is a high stakes gamble. It either pays off or it doesn't.

But, we'll see. I'm hyped for next year's EVO, for sure. While this EVO was hype, I was kind of disappointed certain players didn't meet up with one another. I'd really like to see some matches like Viscant vs Tokido, a rematch between Chris G and Justin Wong, ChrisG vs Combofiend... maybe in Ultimate...

Taskmaster would definitely be the one he'd drop. I could also sorta see him dropping She-Hulk, but I can't see him ever dropping Spencer. Combofiend IS Spencer. :p
I picked up Spencer because of Combofiend, so I would be sad if he dropped him.

Many are in for a world of hurt. Almost all high level teams have some form of DHC glitch, which is now gone. Viscant wll not be the only one to re-evaluate his character choice.

Dahbomb said:
I think Phoenix is still in top 10 because A) XF LVL3 is still absurdly powerful B) air X Factor helps Phoenix more than it hurts her C) Nerfs to her are mostly discovered on regular Phoenix, Dark Phoenix is mostly unchanged D) Meter removing TACs are inconsequential and the other meter removing moves are extremely situational in usage or just hard to connect.

She isn't the best character because she doesn't dominate the match ups at much as regular Phoenix. So many times regular Phoenix would take out 2 characters without using any meter or assists because she dominates so many matches thanks to those god damn salty balls. This will allow her to be targeted post snap backs much easier as she can't buy time with salty balls as well anymore. Using a salty ball now requires a conscious tactical decision rather than going into auto-pilot mode and doing salty balls -> teleports all day.

Wesker is also going no where. The only substantial nerf to him is in the health department. Everyone who was playing Wesker in the builds was wrecking with him including Maximillian himself. As a Wesker player myself, I am not worried at all and he will be remaining on my team. However Wesker is going to be in a very crowded high tier list so his usage will be a bit decreased.

Haggar is ass, easily bottom 3 character now. Viscant can easily go back to Wesker/Iron Man/Phoenix and all of his tech would be largely unchanged.
Regular Phoenix is underrated and overrated at the same time. She'd be easy as fuck to kill right now if it weren't for her DP mode. She only kills while normal because people are trying to think up a solid approach against DP. She'd also do really well with better health thanks to her regeneration hyper.

I liken it to an experienced big cat hunter(something like that) hunting in the savannah or the tall grasses of India. Sure, they are good hunters, but they are anxious while hunting because there is a big motherfucking cat skulking around waiting to slice through your neck like a hot knife through butter.

It's a notch above regular levels of tension and it goes even further than X-Factor 3 tension for most intents and purposes. A horrible tool of intimidation that one could expect in a bossfight, but not in everyday matches against normal people.

Ono would be proud!

Sayah

I haaaaaaate cowards who run away when they know their defeat is near. 2nd Lord player had the shittiest team imaginable and he relied on Phoenix to get victory at the end. Defeated me two times. Happen to face him again for a third time. I decided to use the time to my advantage and not actually bring out Dark Phoenix. The guy literally tried to get hit by me somehow. Left himself open and everything. Timer has 10 seconds left. He only has Phoenix. I have all three characters with relatively good amount of health. Dude/woman/whatever disconnects before timer runs out. Really wish there was a way to report people who do this and make the online play annoying for everyone else so they can maintain some stupid rank. Or at least, the game should display the disconnect percentage/rate of each person you are about to face and allow us to reject the match if we don't want to play with them (just like in 3S). It really is an utterly pathetic tactic. /rant.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Sayah said:
I haaaaaaate cowards who run away when they know their defeat is near. 2nd Lord player had the shittiest team imaginable and he relied on Phoenix to get victory at the end. Defeated me two times. Happen to face him again for a third time. I decided to use the time to my advantage and not actually bring out Dark Phoenix. The guy literally tried to get hit by me somehow. Left himself open and everything. Timer has 10 seconds left. He only has Phoenix. I have all three characters with relatively good amount of health. Dude/woman/whatever disconnects before timer runs out. Really wish there was a way to report people who do this and make the online play annoying for everyone else so they can maintain some stupid rank. Or at least, the game should display the disconnect percentage/rate of each person you are about to face and allow us to reject the match if we don't want to play with them (just like in 3S). It really is an utterly pathetic tactic. /rant.

I make a point of giving player feedback and marking them for quiting early. Probably doesn't do a lot in the long run, but yeah. The worst is when you get matched up against someone who's a 9th Lord or something and has 100 wins/2 losses. You know full well starting the match that the guy is going to quit right before the end.

Mister Vergil said:

Hope his usage is at least a bit toned down. I don't mind the character, but running into him online over and over gets tiring sometimes, especially because he's almost always paired with the other highly used characters like Wolverine.

Tobe

SolarPowered said:
Regular Phoenix is underrated and overrated at the same time. She'd be easy as fuck to kill right now if it weren't for her DP mode. She only kills while normal because people are trying to think up a solid approach against DP. She'd also do really well with better health thanks to her regeneration hyper.

I liken it to an experienced big cat hunter(something like that) hunting in the savannah or the tall grasses of India. Sure, they are good hunters, but they are anxious while hunting because there is a big motherfucking cat skulking around waiting to slice through your neck like a hot knife through butter.

It's a notch above regular levels of tension and it goes even further than X-Factor 3 tension for most intents and purposes. A horrible tool of intimidation that one could expect in a bossfight, but not in everyday matches against normal people.

Ono would be proud!

this exactly what i was thinking a couple of days ago, how would ppl play against her if phoenix wouldnt have dp but regular health, she still has a lot of tools and with chances to use meter whats the point of not having a healing field on all the time, i mean she will have it on all the time there is no down side. rage super still would have tons of invulnerability. salty balls would still be annoying as fucks, etc etc etc.

shaowebb

I'm thinking if Viscant changes characters it won't be Phoenix. I'm betting he'll try to find a better option for his second character since Haggar and Ironman are only really used to buff his Wesker antics or keep people away long enough to tag out a snapped in Phoenix.

I'm betting he may try Dr Strange for the either the double beam or the orbs. If not this then Ghost Rider for the ability to DHC into an OTG hyper and for the nice bonus of heavy chip and fast full screen assists to protect Phoenix.

What I'm wondering about though is who may suddenly become viable in tournies due to new cast suddenly making their character picks for teams scarier. Something tells me Zero players are going to get some better setups with this new cast to help them. Too bad about that hard knock down though.

Like others have said, regular PHX is hard to kill because you are thinking and worried about DP the whole time. Should I use meter here or shouldn't I. Should I tag somebody else in case he gets killed, because I want the back up guys to have the X-factor against her in dark. Should I go for snapback?

I am worried about DP the whole time.

Plus those damn salty balls. Damn them to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes wish she was a normal character without the dumb DP stuff.

Tobe1 said:
this exactly what i was thinking a couple of days ago, how would ppl play against her if phoenix wouldnt have dp but regular health, she still has a lot of tools and with chances to use meter whats the point of not having a healing field on all the time, i mean she will have it on all the time there is no down side. rage super still would have tons of invulnerability. salty balls would still be annoying as fucks, etc etc etc.
Watching Phoenix come out before your eyes only half a bar away from DP is like knowing that Vegeta is gonna go Super Saiyan any second. It's a total deer in the headlights moment where even the solid players are at a loss on what to do next haha.

Frantic

Honestly, people are too afraid of Phoenix imo. Fight her like you would any other character and she's no big deal. It's once you start getting nervous and afraid of her that she's hard to face off against. I've beaten Level 3 X-Factor Dark Phoenix just going in and ignoring the fact that it will likely get me killed. My reasoning is that if I don't do anything, I'm going to die regardless. Better to go all out on the offense than sit back and die.

Then again, I have characters that are good against her(Spencer/Dante/Taskmaster) so that strategy probably wouldn't work as well with some characters...

I feel the need to come out and say I'm not a tier whore. I play Spencer because he's fun as hell to use, Dante because he's fun as hell to use and I like his character, and Taskmaster because... well, okay, I picked Taskmaster because I liked his assist with Spencer/Dante and he happened to be easy enough to play(I really want to replace him though for a character I like, like Trish, but his assist is just so good). I will say I've always liked Spencer's rather narm charm, and I really liked Bionic Commando 2009.

Sayah

Nils said:
I make a point of giving player feedback and marking them for quiting early. Probably doesn't do a lot in the long run, but yeah. The worst is when you get matched up against someone who's a 9th Lord or something and has 100 wins/2 losses. You know full well starting the match that the guy is going to quit right before the end.
Oh, I make sure I leave feedback. It probably doesn't make a difference but I usually say something along the lines of "get a life." I believe there is also something that can be done to "reset" the win/loss ratio without actually disconnecting from a match. Faced this guy once who I thought would leave towards the end but didn't. Faced him again a little bit later and his losses had been set back from five to zero.

Dahbomb

GOD.... I have so much theory fighter Vergil in my head now I can't wait for this game. I WANT THIS GAME NOW!!!!!!

Where did I put that god damn time machine at???

I swear if Storm Swords persist when you tag Vergil out or if they hit OTG...

Summoned Swords were pretty damn broken in DMC3 that were only toned down by the fact that you had to spend meter in the game to use them. It's the same here where even though the meter requirement is high, the rewards could potentially be tremendous too.

Not to mention the antics that I have planned with Vergil + Strider Vajra assist. OTG Rising Hightime + Vajra = SO GOOD! Vergil Summoned Swords + Teleport + Vajra = I AM FUCKED!!!

Then there is Summoned Sword + Rapid Slash + Unibeam assist.

Teleport shenanigans afters specials.

Sayah

Dahbomb said:
GOD.... I have so much theory fighter Vergil in my head now I can't wait for this game. I WANT THIS GAME NOW!!!!!!

Where did I put that god damn time machine at???

I swear if Storm Swords persist when you tag Vergil out or if they hit OTG...

Summoned Swords were pretty damn broken in DMC3 that were only toned down by the fact that you had to spend meter in the game to use them. It's the same here where even though the meter requirement is high, the rewards could potentially be tremendous too.

Not to mention the antics that I have planned with Vergil + Strider Vajra assist. OTG Rising Hightime + Vajra = SO GOOD! Vergil Summoned Swords + Teleport + Vajra = I AM FUCKED!!!

Then there is Summoned Sword + Rapid Slash + Unibeam assist.

Teleport shenanigans afters specials.

I think you have too much of an excessive and unhealthy addiction with this Vergil character. I can bet your room is full of Vergil errrrrrrr'where. Your pillows, your bedsheets, your posters, your Vergil slideshow screensaver. It's allllll him all over the place staring back at you and you LOVE it.

Sayah said:
I think you have too much of an excessive and unhealthy addiction with this Vergil character. I can bet your room is full of Vergil errrrrrrr'where. Your pillows, your bedsheets, your posters, your Vergil slideshow screensaver. It's allllll him all over the place staring back at you and you LOVE it.
Certainly not as bad as me in my heyday.

Still, it can lead to some cool stuff. I knew a guy who had an awesome Marvin the Martian theme applied to his entire room. Literally, it was all memorabilia and Marvin products which made his room like the coolest place in the world to me haha.

Sayah

SolarPowered said:
Certainly not as bad as me in my heyday.

Still, it can lead to some cool stuff. I knew a guy who had an awesome Marvin the Martian theme applied to his entire room. Literally, it was all memorabilia and Marvin products which made his room like the coolest place in the world to me haha.
Now I wonder how much Hsien-Ko you got around you, lol.

sephi22

Lazy vs Crazy said:
http://www.twitch.tv/rawkusx

Marvel is up on the arkansas tournament. Teams now. Marn/Justin Wong/some guy are up now.
lmao@marn freestyling on commentary

Cmon Marvel GAF you're missing out

"Does Mike Ross have a big dick?"
Marn:"From what I've heard, and I've seen it, its a good 16.4 inches."
"Also, I love all races except the Mike Ross race"

Wut

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
holy shit Marn talking about Ross and dropping the N bomb afterwards is making me cry of laughter.

sephi22 said:
lmao@marn freestyling on commentary

Cmon Marvel GAF you're missing out

"Does Mike Ross have a big dick?"
Marn:"From what I've heard, and I've seen it, its a good 16.4 inches."
"Also, I love all races except the Mike Ross race"

Wut
This too, omg.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jill/Spencer/MODOK that beat Wong? Hmm.

The use of the MODOK bomb assist is fucking GODLIKE!!

Spencer + MODOK for god tier!

Frantic

Those MODOK bomb assist setups are SICK. Ground throw into the bomb, wire grapple into the bomb... gonna have to look into that stuff.

Seriously, this team is so unorthodox, but also really awesome. Never thought I'd see Jill/Spencer/MODOK, but dang it's awesome.

No all phoenix players mash L, that's literally how you play her, look closer at the matches :)

It's pretty much what makes her OP. =.=

He won a ton of his evo matches abusing just that. The reason it works is cause the huge stream of projectiles gives her pretty much a shield from attacks, btw when I say MASH I don't mean he's just doing shit when ever. I'm just making fun of how stupid her standing and crouching L's are.
Phoenix's s.L is a hilariously good anti-air.

I don't know when it got trendy to say that Viscant is meh without Phoenix. Sure, he probably wouldn't be amazing without her, but I'd say that goes for any high level player if you take away their marquee character.

Viscant will surely bounce back with the best of them. UMvC3 is also looking like the less combo oriented game and that should be right up his alley.
Ditto. Viscant used Phoenix, but PR Balrog used Gustaff Fire and Wolverine. Everyone in the top 8 was abusing cheese. Viscant's cheese was just a little better - that doesn't mean he's no good.

Azure J

A HAGAR COMEBACK?! WHEN HE HAD A PERFECT TEAM GOING?

C'MON SON

No seriously, how the fuck do you lose against Haggar when you have a full health Magneto, Zero & Akuma on your team? :lol

OMG, Marn just got blown up by fucking Mike Haggar. SO AWESOME!

Mayor of Earth greater than Mutant terrorists, killer robot turned good guy, and the demon(nickname).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That Wrecktos Akuma play was damn solid. Especially that shoryuken super to teach Wolverine who wears the pants in the relationship.

smurfx

get some go again
AzureJericho said:
A HAGAR COMEBACK?! WHEN HE HAD A PERFECT TEAM GOING?

C'MON SON

No seriously, how the fuck do you lose against Haggar when you have a full health Magneto, Zero & Akuma on your team? :lol
omg what did i miss?

Marn was rolling his team then shit, he had this guy beat with that team but out came Haggar, went XF level 3 and Marn tried to rush his ass and the Haggar beat his ass.

No other way to put it than: Lariat, Pipe and such.

Dahbomb

enzo_gt said:
Jill/Spencer/MODOK that beat Wong? Hmm.

The use of the MODOK bomb assist is fucking GODLIKE!!

Spencer + MODOK for god tier!
YYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL

Secret god tier team?

Frantic

Dahbomb said:
YYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL

Secret god tier team?
At the very least, Spencer/MODOK has a lot of good synergy. It uses a somewhat similar idea I had with Viewtiful Joe's bomb assist, except this one is even better since it doesn't have the disadvantage of damaging the user.

I'm definitely going to be messing around with it in training mode.

SmokeMaxX

Glad you guys are enjoying our stream. I know the quality is ass... but it's something we kinda got stuck with. We checked it a month or two before ARK IV and it was above 2.0 Mb/s upload. Now turns out just THIS WEEK the entire city that the event is held at is capped at 0.5 Mb/s upload due to... well probably due to being a crappy "city" in Arkansas. So yeah... we were really hoping to have a great quality stream, but things happened and I hear it looked pretty bad. For that, I apologize. I hope you guys are having a good time though. Tomorrow's matches will be HYPE! Tune in at 1PM Central where we'll have the entire Marvel Top 16 followed by the entire AE Top 16.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just got back from a local, did decently (3rd place). Bumped into the guy who put me in losers at Final Round and took him out of this tournament in the runback. Feels good man.

Then I got perfected on stream in the AL vs GA 5v5. Derp.

Sixfortyfive said:
Just got back from a local, did decently (3rd place). Bumped into the guy who put me in losers at Final Round and took him out of this tournament in the runback. Feels good man.

Then I got perfected on stream in the AL vs GA 5v5. Derp.
Archive? What team did you run for the tournament? What team did the guy who perfected you run?

Congrats on the decent spot up top.

Top Bottom