• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

smurfx said:
i'm wondering if i should go to the capcom fighting club here in La tomorrow. don't want to have to show up 3 or 4 hours before. guess i'll have to take my zune and watch the simpsons.
You have to show up at least four hours before the event if you want a good spot. I went to the New York one and baked in the sun for several hours and I got their two hours before opening time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anth0ny said:
enzo are you reaching t12? Canada-gaf?

Combofiend
Chris G
Marlinpie

will be there. hype.
Whoa say what now? Where this at?

Just heard Sp00ky mention it on the stream. First I've heard of it.

Frantic

Good games Solar. I hate your Ammy with a burning passion. It's honestly my first time going up against a good, solid Ammy. Most of the ones I've encountered in Ranked are just the disk users. I have NO idea what to do against sword Ammy. It has such a huge ass range I couldn't really avoid it or punish it. Your Ammy + Hsien-Ko lock down was also scary as hell.

I choked it up real bad on a couple of those games. Honestly, I'm a worse choker than Floe/Marn/whoever else, since I'm not even in a tournament setting. XD

I have to ask, how do you like those resets with Dante and Spencer? Wesker isn't the only one with 'em. :p

SolarPowered said:
I really need to change my team.
If you do, take it slow. :p I've really been trying to drop Taskmaster for Trish or Chris, and you could see how well(bad) I was doing with them...

Richard bringing the fight to WNF haha.
Frantic said:
Good games Solar. I hate your Ammy with a burning passion. It's honestly my first time going up against a good, solid Ammy. Most of the ones I've encountered in Ranked are just the disk users. I have NO idea what to do against sword Ammy. It has such a huge ass range I couldn't really avoid it or punish it. Your Ammy + Hsien-Ko lock down was also scary as hell.
Thank you

I worked long and hard to build solid rushdown. That rushdown+gold mostly evolved on it's own with time. I've been out of practice, but that definitely helped me stretch my legs a bit.
Frantic said:
I choked it up real bad on a couple of those games. Honestly, I'm a worse choker than Floe/Marn/whoever else, since I'm not even in a tournament setting. XD
Shit, I choked a few times too. It's no biggie.
Frantic said:
I have to ask, how do you like those resets with Dante and Spencer? Wesker isn't the only one with 'em. :p
They were pretty good. I like your Spencer ones the best since they are more ambiguous. Your Dante ones I could see from a mile away, but I was too busy raging to tech em properly.

I'm constantly surprised by how well I manage to block against Spencer lol.
Frantic said:
If you do, take it slow. :p I've really been trying to drop Taskmaster for Trish or Chris, and you could see how well(bad) I was doing with them...
I'm just tired of seeing what I can punish without being able to do anything about it. Ammy is great, Morrigan is lacking and Hsien-Ko...

yeah
smurfx said:
what was the end score? marnz is whooping that ass at WNF.
I got it.

Dahbomb said:
Oh my gawd.... WHY IS MARVEL SO HYPE????

The hype will NEVER die for MVC3 (until the release of MVC4 of course).
I hope my future grandchildren want to play Marvel. God forbid they become ASW fans.
LLShC.gif

Frantic

SolarPowered said:
I worked long and hard to build solid rushdown. That rushdown+gold mostly evolved on it's own with time. I've been out of practice, but that definitely helped me stretch my legs a bit.
Haha, I'm the same way. It's taken me a LONG time to get to where I am now.

SolarPowered said:
They were pretty good. I like your Spencer ones the best since they are more ambiguous. Your Dante ones I could see from a mile away, but I was too busy raging to tech em properly.
lol, yeah Dante's resets are easy to see, but I haven't gotten a single tech out of any of them from anyone. Until people start teching them, I'll keep doing them. XD It helps that Dante has an air loop like Wesker, so it could end up in a situation similar to Wesker where you have to guess. With Spencer's Slant Shot, following up after an airthrow is pretty simple, and the combo that follows will always build a bar of meter.
Spencer's resets are good, because I can either do anti-air command grab(which, from my experience cannot be stuffed out by any attack, as it grabs them before the attack hits.), an air grab, or an air loop. If they tech forward, I can also do mostly the same stuff, except for the air loop - but I can dash under them for a crossup. :p
Honestly, I have a LOT of different tech for both Dante and Spencer up my sleeves, but my Taskmaster is severly lacking. I really want to switch him out, but I don't think it'll happen until Ultimate.

SolarPowered said:
I'm constantly surprised by how well I manage to block against Spencer lol.
lol, I was getting pretty annoyed with how well you were blocking my Spencer. XD

SolarPowered said:
We should try a few games sometime. I'm feeling pretty good with my SSJ internet now.
Speaking of that, was my connection with you okay? There were a couple lag spikes at one point, and I'm not really sure what they were from.

It's been a while since Marn won WNF, hasn't it? Honestly, I was hoping for a bracket reset. Marn and Richard Nguyen are two of my favorite players to watch, since they style so much. XD

Professor Beef said:
I hope my future grandchildren want to play Marvel. God forbid they become ASW fans.
Capcom will be deader than Megaman by then. ASW will be the only company making fighting games, along with Nintendo with Smash.

Dahbomb said:
SRK forums debating whether Vergil is best character in the game or "merely" top tier.
Dudes are totally going to be in for a rude awakening if they keep hyping him up lol. Even the dark slayer has his limits when it come to MAHVEL.
Frantic said:
lol, I was getting pretty annoyed with how well you were blocking my Spencer. XD
I bet Spencer would have been one of the few characters to jump back and forth between S and A tier had the game been left alone for another year or so.

He can be so scary in the right hands that I have a hard time imagining how I'd deal with him.
Frantic said:
Speaking of that, was my connection with you okay? There were a couple lag spikes at one point, and I'm not really sure what they were from.
I definitely noticed the couple of lag spikes, but it was perfectly smooth outside of that. I've had almost none of those since I upgraded my connection so I just assume it's someone else.
Frantic said:
Capcom will be deader than Megaman by then. ASW will be the only company making fighting games, along with Nintendo with Smash.
I wouldn't be happy about it since there would be no more MvC. If it must happen... Capcom may have to sell the Darkstalkers IP to Reverge Labs lol.

I would be okay with it if ASW got it too I suppose...

Frantic

SolarPowered said:
Dudes are totally going to be in for a rude awakening if they keep hyping him up lol. Even the dark slayer has his limits when it come to MAHVEL.
I agree. I don't think Vergil will be the best. He might be 'top tier', but I'm thinking 'top tier' will be a rather large tier in Ultimate. :p

SolarPowered said:
I bet Spencer would have been one of the few characters to jump back and forth between S and A tier had the game been left alone for another year or so.

He can be so scary in the right hands that I have a hard time imagining how I'd deal with him.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I would honestly say that Spencer is top 10 easily. He's got an AMAZING set of tools, without anything particularly overpowered. Sure, Bionic Lancer has invincibility on startup, but it's not very long. The move is also punishable on block, so throwing it out at random is risky.
Maybe I'm a little biased since I main him, though... plus, my top ten is different than most people's I've seen.

SolarPowered said:
I definitely noticed the couple of lag spikes, but it was perfectly smooth outside of that. I've had almost none of those since I upgraded my connection so I just assume it's someone else.
Yeah, I don't usually get lag spikes so I was kinda confused... it might have had something to do with the storm that was going on at the time. XD

SolarPowered said:
I wouldn't be happy about it since there would be no more MvC. If it must happen... Capcom may have to sell the Darkstalkers IP to Reverge Labs lol.
Capcom sells the Darkstalkers IP to Ninja Theory, which they then turn into a 'cinematic game'. [/trollface]

sephi22

Taking part in this tournament today.
http://tbreak.com/cgc/

I'm free in AE and TS, but I think I have a fighting chance in MvC3. The Arab fighting scene is no joke, and I almost feel like an outsider since I'm an expat.

There might be a character lock. There goes my change of fighting Phoenix with Phoenix. Wish me luck guys.

Dahbomb

Around where I live we have a weekly or twice monthly tournament of MVC3. Phoenix is banned there and has been for a few months actually. They took opinions of many players there including myself as I regularly place there.

What I had to say to them? LOL BAN THAT BITCH SON!

I don't think Vergil is the best character yet because some characters still have to be revealed. It only takes a couple characters to make a top/god tier (sometimes only 1). Glitches still have to be discovered, remember how the DHC glitch caused some characters to be better than they actually were (or pushed some to top tier status). Plus the propensity of previous characters still being more or less where they were like Magneto or Phoenix.

Too many factor to weigh in right now but the prognosis on Vergil is that he is the man to look out for.

Frantic

So, I think I have found what I think is the ONLY way to stop Hsien-Ko's assist from coming out. It was something I noticed in a ranked matched I had the other day, and actually tried a couple times against Solar but never got it to work. If you use Spencer's wire grapple before she starts swinging, she'll 'pop' into the air, drop to the ground, then leave. If you hit her with the grapple, then immediately Bionic Lancer, you will hit her in which case you can DHC for a possible kill. Even better if you manage to land a hit on your opponent trying to punish you.

It's doubtful that I'll ever manage to pull this off in a match, as the only reason I figured it out was because the guy called Hsien-Ko as he super jumped while I was trying to grapple him, but it's something interesting I noticed.

Spencer, the best character that no one plays.

JeTmAn81 said:
Oh yeah, I think the other is Million Carats. I use Million Stab all the time as an opening move. The range on it catches people off guard half the time. Pretty much never use it in combos, though.
Meant to respond to this earlier. Using Million Stab like that doesn't bother me. In all honesty, it's a pretty decent long-distant 'poke' so to speak since you can immediately launcher if you hit, or Bold Move to safety if they block. It definitely takes people off guard, but it's bad in combos. I see way too many people using it in combos. Just a little something that annoys me, really.

sephi22 said:
Wish me luck guys.
Good luck. Hope you do well.

Dahbomb said:
Too many factor to weigh in right now but the prognosis on Vergil is that he is the man to look out for.
I think Hawkeye, Firebrand and Strider are going to be the ones to look out for to be honest.

smurfx

get some go again
beat a new cosmic lord. |3 L A C I C was this guys name. played a task/wesker/phoenix team.

edit:lulz just beat him again. lol 3rd time now. made him a cosmic ranger with that loss.

GatorBait

Well, I went and sold MvC3. I'm going to take a little hiatus from it until Ultimate comes out and enjoy some single player games that I have on my list. However, I'd like to go all out and immerse myself fully in UMvC3 when it is released and become as good as I possibly can in it.

For the better players in this thread, how did you become so good? What areas do you focus your practice on?

Neki

GatorBait said:
Well, I went and sold MvC3. I'm going to take a little hiatus from it until Ultimate comes out and enjoy some single player games that I have on my list. However, I'd like to go all out and immerse myself fully in UMvC3 when it is released and become as good as I possibly can in it.

For the better players in this thread, how did you become so good? What areas do you focus your practice on?

I dream about what it would be like to crush smurfx in battle against his pitiful haggar and taskmaster.

Nyoro SF

GatorBait said:

Watched the patterns of top players. You'd be surprised at how many common patterns of movement that good players use over and over, especially Justin Wong.

That's just one tip, but it helps me so it should help you... I guess?

Frantic

GatorBait said:

I'm not THAT good at the game, but I've gotten where I am by watching a lot of streams, videos, and just grinding it out in training mode. After spending time getting combos, set ups and what have you burned into reflex, it's been a lot of grinding online with some training mode thrown in to test stuff out and find strategies to beat out things that I have trouble with that I've encountered online.

One thing I recommend is try out every character and find the ones that suit your playstyle best. After that, just hang out in training mode learning different things about each characters, how to best utilize assists, and even just combos in general. Player Matches help a lot in match up experience and just trying out things in general, especially if you get paired with someone really good. You might get beat down pretty badly by someone better than you, but I tend to notice large leaps in my skills after playing really good players for a long set.

GatorBait said:

Anyone who answers may be put in the position of looking like they are trying to act superior, but I'll bite anyway.

It's been mostly about fighting uphill battles for me. Fishing for opportunities and improvisation have been the name of the game for me as opposed to the more cautious players who play defensive and the execution oriented players who can't stop once they pop. Knowing your tools and the matchups is probably the most important thing I could take away from from this game. There are times where knowing your characters moves can mean the difference between just getting an awkward hit or making an awkward combo work for more damage than usual.

Know to respect Dante's normals, try to stay in the air until you can catch Wolverine offguard, blow your X-Factor if it means that you can kill an annoying fuck like Taskmaster or Wesker who can stall the match for ages. Things like that and snapping people in after punishing an assist are extremely important to me along with respecting chippers and Haggar/Tron. It also helps when you never understimate anyone.

Learning the long ass combos is the last thing on my list until I've learned how to block and how to move.

my two cents...

JeTmAn81

So much of this game is knowing the matchups...for everyone on your team vs. everyone else in the game. For instance, I know to lead with Taskmaster on my team if I'm fighting an on-point Wesker because this lets me keep him out with Dante's Jam Session assist. People who don't know that the Hulk owns the counterhit are going to get burned badly, etc.

One thing I've been trying to concentrate on is really understanding the capabilities of my characters' normals. For a long time I thought of Dante as a fast character since his combos seemed to hit so quickly and so many times, and he moved all over the screen like a flash. But his normals are actually some of the slowest in the game (8-frame startup on his light attacks vs. 4-frame on the fastest characters such as Wolverine, that's twice as fast!), so every time I would try to beat somebody in a speed battle after a blocked or whiffed attack, I would end up losing because Dante is actually pretty slow.

His strength is in range, not speed. So now I try to make sure to keep my distance when poking with his normals and use his other tools such as the full-screen Stinger to interact with my opponents without getting punished for it.

I've never really been seriously into fighting games before this one so I feel like I'm "learning how to learn" a lot of the basic things that make these games tick. The more I understand the design of the game, the better I understand how to play it and turn the capabilities of my characters into appropriate offensive and defensive tactics.

Dahbomb

I am not going to claim that I am godlike but I will answer anyway.

The areas that I have focused most on in MVC3 are mobility/spacing and mix ups. I used to think learning combos was important but it's not that important in a high damaging game as this. Situational awareness gives you way more wins than just learning TOD combos. If you learn a basic combo for a character that does around half life damage on a normal character that is more than enough for regular MVC3 play.

I have spent a great deal learning these aspects of the game from watching online matches, reading up on player impressions/strats, lurking on SRKs and discussing here as well as spending countless hours in training mode getting those set ups right. Basically what it boils down to is knowing the sickest mix ups combined with spacing yourself so that you avoid their mix ups. Just blocking and advance guarding is not going to make you a better defensive player. What's good is that against Wolverine lol. Being on your toes, knowing the right spacing and jump blocking all the time as well as making reads. Is my opponent going to reset? Is it an air throw or a jump loop?

The characters that I have spent the most time playing around with combos are Dante and Iron Man... these aren't even my serious business characters. If you observe Viscant's play you will realize that he does fairly basic combos for all this characters but his set ups are 2nd to non as well as his spacing. He respects particular spaces and angles against certain characters.

This is where the depth of MVC3 is. Spacing is SO much of MVC3... it involves mobility, range of normals, assist usage, push blocking (and when not to which is more important), zoning and general pressure. Mix ups involve resets, high/lows, right/lefts, cross ups with or without assists, unblockables, j.H OS and just in general mind games. The final part of MVC3 which is also very important is the match up and that pretty much only comes with experience. There are certain characters you have to respect in certain areas more than others. Like you can't go against a Phoenix team burning your X Factor early, that's almost always a loss (unless of course the XF is used to kill Phoenix).

JeTmAn81

I should add that I am not a very good player, I still do lots of scrubby stuff. I'm a 4th Scout on ranked and that's probably where I'll stay for a while. But I have learned a lot by ingesting copious amounts of tournament streams, combo videos, articles and forum posts about the game. There's a lot of stuff that even if I can't make myself pull it off, I do understand why good players do it and how they pull it off.

Also, here's some stuff I really want to do/stop doing:

1. Jump-ins with Taskmaster, I use jumping H for the range and throw option-select. That's fine, but I automatically spam Shield Skills when I hit the ground, which is punishable. Instead, I need to start a crouching magic series block string into BnB for the mixup.

2. Crouching medium with Sentinel. When it's blocked, I hardly ever cancel into Rocket Punch for safety. Punished every time.

3. Jump loops with Wesker. I am on auto-pilot for doing gunshot/call Magneto into teleport. That works well, but it's predictable and I have few other options I do with Wesker. I need to learn when to do the jump loop with him, and just other general ways of attacking.

4. Dash in and attack low. I play a few characters who are good for this such as Taskmaster and Wesker but I always end up jumping because I'm afraid of getting counterhit.

5. Maintain blockstrings as long as possible once they're started. I don't do this much. Either I'm in a combo, or I'm jumping away.

6. Stay safe with Dante. I need to establish better habits for cancelling into Reverb Shock or something else that is safe when his magic series is blocked.

7. Block low! Especially when landing. I frequently forget to hold down and back to block low when I'm coming down and I get hit by quick attacks.

Frantic

JeTmAn81 said:
6. Stay safe with Dante. I need to establish better habits for cancelling into Reverb Shock or something else that is safe when his magic series is blocked.

7. Block low! Especially when landing. I frequently forget to hold down and back to block low when I'm coming down and I get hit by quick attacks.
I've got these same problems. I've gotten a better with blocking low, but I tend to hold up-back more than down-back and I get hit a lot on the way down from a jump. I also really need to ingrain Stinger > Bold Cancel > Reverb Shock into memory. It's really easy to do, but I always forget to do it.

JeTmAn81

Frantic said:
I've got these same problems. I've gotten a better with blocking low, but I tend to hold up-back more than down-back and I get hit a lot on the way down from a jump. I also really need to ingrain Stinger > Bold Cancel > Reverb Shock into memory. It's really easy to do, but I always forget to do it.

Can you actually do that on reaction to a block? Or perhaps you mean going into the Stinger after a magic series, which gives more time for hit confirming. If I'm going to Bold Cancel anything, generally I've decided ahead of time what it's going to cancel into (teleport, Reverb Shock, etc.). I'd like to use the Bold Cancel into Reverb Shock for pressure and chip like PR Balrog does, but I haven't had much success in actually getting it to come out online in a real match. In training mode it works fine.

Frantic

JeTmAn81 said:
Can you actually do that on reaction to a block? Or perhaps you mean going into the Stinger after a magic series, which gives more time for hit confirming. If I'm going to Bold Cancel anything, generally I've decided ahead of time what it's going to cancel into (teleport, Reverb Shock, etc.). I'd like to use the Bold Cancel into Reverb Shock for pressure and chip like PR Balrog does, but I haven't had much success in actually getting it to come out online in a real match. In training mode it works fine.
Yeah, I mean after a magic series. I can do it fine online, but I just forget to do it all the time. My block string pressure is pretty bad in general. Another thing I really need to improve.

I can do so many different things in training mode, but in a real match I always manage to screw everything up. :/

Sayah

So much discussion going on here.....and I'm all chained up in school work. No time for Marvel or any other game for that matter. :/

JeTmAn81 said:
Also, here's some stuff I really want to do/stop doing:

1. Jump-ins with Taskmaster, I use jumping H for the range and throw option-select. That's fine, but I automatically spam Shield Skills when I hit the ground, which is punishable. Instead, I need to start a crouching magic series block string into BnB for the mixup.

I still do this way too much. It's unsafe as hell and yet I can't help myself at times.

LakeEarth

GatorBait said:
The game is all about solid defense and setups to break through your opponents defense.

GatorBait said:

i've spent a lot of time learning to mash harder

edit: i only gave you a non-serious answer because i'm not actually any good. :p

JeTmAn81

Grecco said:
Watching the WNF from last night. The Marn v Combofiend match salty runback is so good.

I was surprised Marn came away with the win on that one, especially since he is apparently a bit rusty in Marvel. Combofiend didn't seem quite his normal self, either. However, I still found myself cheering for Marn because he's a good player and I think he lets his ego/attitude get in the way of winning a lot of the time.

sephi22

Okay guys, I lost that one tournament I posted in the MvC3 thread about. I could've made top 16 if they didn't have shady seeding and politics, but the top 8 were pretty much in another league.

I was feeling pretty salty but then I realized they had the TGS builds of both Ultimate MvC3 AND Street Fighter X Tekken.

I was busy with the tourney and casuals to give much time to either game, but tomorrow I'm playing AE in which I'm pretty much free (gonna troll with Elf), so I'll spend hours camping on the UMvC3 machine. However, the UMvC3 setup is like shit covered caviar. Here's why:

- Its on the 360.
- Its on the default 360 pad.
- The control type is permanently set to Type - Beta (The Arcade stick type).

So you can imagine how tough it was for a stick player like me to play on a 360 pad with an incorrect control scheme. Me and a friend found the setup free for a few minutes and we got a chance to try out some characters.

Dormammu:
I love Dormammu, and I did some testing for both me and my lord and savior Karsticles.
- Flame carpet is still nerfed (Old news)
- Dark matter (Towards+C) can be cancelled into any special move - teleport, liberation, purification, dark spells, dark hole, etc. You can even 'fake' a dark matter by cancelling it before the animation finishes. (Partially new news)
- Dark spells can be done in air. Liberation in air leads to an auto teleport to ground before liberation. (Old news)
- I forgot to test whether the new flame carpet is special cancellable. I know Karsticles was thinking of that but it escaped me at the moment. Will test it tomorrow.

Ryu:
I love the new Ryu. Tried out the powerup mode, along with all the new specials. We've all seen them in streams and vids, now you'll get to see them in one video.

Captain America:
The new Captain America is a boss.
- Didn't test the double jump.
- Tested the cartwheel. It went through Hadokens on reaction. The last half of the animation is vulnerable. It went through the starting few frames of Akuma's hyper Gohadoken or whatever that shit is.
- Tested the L Shield Slash OTG. Its pretty GDLK.
- The Hyper Charging Star DOES NOT have a shorted animation. The video made it seem like it. When doing the OTG slash to HCS in corner, you'll see it is as long as it was before.

Super Skrull
- Meteor smash in air (old news)

Other stuff
- The new X-factor animation (glowing basketball) doesn't look as ugly in person. It actually looks quite nice. You see a glowing core in the middle of your character, surrounded by what looks like stars. It looks like your character is reflection the vastness of the solar system

- The new HUD is still ugly, but the hyperactive vibrating "X" for X factor isn't as distracting as it seems on stream.

- Didn't get a chance to test Firebrand rushdown/combos (dat controller), but his keepaway is pretty godlike.

- The Eye of Agamotto, and Smell-of-vision is sweet. The Disks of Dnakk seem kind of slow when done on point.

Videos coming soon. I felt like a boss thinking I'm going to be Mahvel GAF's new kid on the block with this new info, but I forgot that the fightclub takes place tonight in the US. Oh well, its great that we can have the TGS build in Dubai even before the US. Here's hoping for better footage from the fightclubs and their TE sticks, but if there's something you guys want me to check tomorrow or the day after, as long as it can be done on a fucked up Xbox controller, I'll test it out.

Also, I'm posting this in both threads.

SmokeMaxX

JeTmAn81 said:
I was surprised Marn came away with the win on that one, especially since he is apparently a bit rusty in Marvel. Combofiend didn't seem quite his normal self, either. However, I still found myself cheering for Marn because he's a good player and I think he lets his ego/attitude get in the way of winning a lot of the time.
I got to talk to him when he came down to ARK IV (and played a ton of casuals with him since he stayed at my place with JWong). If it's not like Grand Finals (and sometimes even if it is), he'd rather risk a match being flashy than win it in a more conventional fashion.

Top Bottom