• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Neki

JeTmAn81 said:
BTW if Tron can link three friggin' hypers, I don't see why Taskmaster shouldn't be able to do something similar :p. Yes, I'm salty about getting comboed for an hour straight by a meter-loaded Tron.
Tron can link 5 hypers if she really wanted to on specific characters Problem has always been getting in.

JeTmAn81

Ultimoo said:
Tron can link 5 hypers if she really wanted to on specific characters Problem has always been getting in.

Getting in never seems like a big problem for good Trons (e.g. Flash Metroid, PR Balrog). Ginormous j.H hitbox plus full combo off any throw will do that for you. Not too mention her command throw and level 3. When she's on the ground it seems like she has way too many moves which are plus on block. I've been meaning to check that in the guide, actually.

JeTmAn81 said:
Agreed about Taskmaster's mixup capabilities, very good players will be able to defend against him pretty well. That's why it's fortunate that he has his arrow chip game to supplement the rushdown and force opponents to go on the offensive and open themselves up. He's a very well balanced character. I actually still think his arrow chip damage should be reduced by about 10% and then he might be perfect.
Bastard needs a 100k health nerf at least(150k max).

Frantic

Parallax Scroll said:
Also, you guys remember Deathwish, that crazy player at Evo who started Phoenix on point? He was on the WNF stream this week. Still running Phoenix on point.
I saw that. Gotta give the guy props for that. Honestly, I wish there was a way to select Phoenix without Dark Phoenix. She's really fun and really good, but I would like to play her without the gimmick.

SolarPowered said:
Bastard needs a 100k health nerf at least(150k max).
Yeah, 1.1million health is a bit too much. 1 mil would be fine.

Taskmaster was just this game's Balrog. Not going for mixups just throwing out arrows, hit, then combo. He was a char just about fishing for a hit patiently and gets it, dead char.

sephi22

Parallax Scroll said:
Also, you guys remember Deathwish, that crazy player at Evo who started Phoenix on point? He was on the WNF stream this week. Still running Phoenix on point.
Still the most balls-out strategy in Marvel 3, and still the most fitting name for a player.

Frantic

I've honestly considered getting a PS3 and Marvel for it, since I'm not a big fan of paying for online(my first time purchasing online was for this game), but PS3s aren't exactly cheap. I've been meaning to get a PS3 in general for a few of the exclusives, but I just haven't since I'm more of a PC gamer than a console one... My initial reason for buying a 'next gen' console was for DMC4, lol.

Neki

Frantic said:
I've honestly considered getting a PS3 and Marvel for it, since I'm not a big fan of paying for online(my first time purchasing online was for this game), but PS3s aren't exactly cheap. I've been meaning to get a PS3 in general for a few of the exclusives, but I just haven't since I'm more of a PC gamer than a console one... My initial reason for buying a 'next gen' console was for DMC4, lol.
you can play some of the best members of Marvel GAF with a PS3, so it's up to you. ;)

Neki

Karsticles said:
Well if you do, we will play.

Ultimoo, we can play too if you want. Or SolarPowered, since he wants a rematch.

I'd play, but I'm at school right now in my computer science lab, lol. Will you be on in 2 hours still?

Neki

Karsticles said:
I'll be around all night. I'm designating this evening as one of relaxation.
nothing relaxing about getting tron gustaff fire being in your face all night long. I hope you know that.

JeTmAn81

Karsticles, I will probably add you at some point, maybe we could get some games in. I still have yet to play with anyone from GAF outside of Q.

Neki

JeTmAn81 said:
Karsticles, I will probably add you at some point, maybe we could get some games in. I still have yet to play with anyone from GAF outside of Q.
That's good, Q is probably one of the hardest people you'll play because all he does is run away and shoot arrows/spam assists. everyone else will be ez.

I won't be playing for a while after tonight, so get some matches in if you want them.

I'm also out of practice, so you can have easy bragging rights.

Frantic

Karsticles said:
Well if you do, we will play.
Definitely. By then, you'll probably be maining Firebrand, huh? That'll probably scare me more than even Phoenix with 5 bars. XD

Ultimoo said:
nothing relaxing about getting tron gustaff fire being in your face all night long. I hope you know that.
You know, the sad thing is I get blown up by Tron on point more than her Gustaff Fire assist. I'm always trying to anti-air/air-throw her and get hit by that giant jumping H for my troubles. Hell, I've gotten blown up by more Trons than Dark Phoenixes and Wolverine.

What is wrong with me?

Definitely. By then, you'll probably be maining Firebrand, huh? That'll probably scare me more than even Phoenix with 5 bars. XD
Dormammu will always be my main. Everyone else is just there to make him function on a higher plane.

JeTmAn81

Ultimoo said:
That's good, Q is probably one of the hardest people you'll play because all he does is run away and shoot arrows/spam assists. everyone else will be ez.

That was back when I was even scrubbier than now, doing tons of naked teleports with Dante that were of course thrown every time. I wonder how I will do when/if we meet again...

Frantic

Karsticles said:
Dormammu will always be my main. Everyone else is just there to make him function on a higher plane.
Well, I consider the team on a whole to be a 'main', but I guess Firebrand for you isn't completely set in stone, then?

Firebrand is 99% set in stone for me. It's not just about the character, but the role he plays on a team. Only a few characters will be capable of performing the role I want him to play on my team, and I think he likely does it best.

Frantic

Karsticles said:
Firebrand is 99% set in stone for me. It's not just about the character, but the role he plays on a team. Only a few characters will be capable of performing the role I want him to play on my team, and I think he likely does it best.
Alright, cool. Then my point still stands, Firebrand is going to scare me. :p

I know what you mean about the roles on a team. I'm having a really hard time picking another character over Taskmaster. He's essentially the only real zoner, and his assist is beneficial to both Spencer and Dante. I've been trying to pick up Trish in favor of him for a long time, but her assist isn't nearly as useful as the arrows, and her anchor status is very lacking. I don't want to use Spencer as an anchor, and Dante as anchor is... okay, but not the best.

I don't really have much against Taskmaster - I find him pretty fun to play - but I'd really like to make Trish work. Just because I'm a big DMC fan and actually like Trish. I was one of the very few excited for her being in the game from the very first promotional poster. I'd really like to make a team that works, comprised of characters I like. Taskmaster is okay, but I only heard about him from this game, so he's kind of just... there.

And yes, I do actually like Spencer. I'm probably one of the few who actually liked the Bionic Commando reboot. I love the way he plays, as well.
We also share a first name, so the fact his playstyle gels with me so well is like fate or something.

Dahbomb

Oh we are talking about our favorites?

I got my game a bit late so I spent some time watching matches first. I saw JWong rape with Wolverine/Akuma and I used that first. Totally fit me like a glove but always struggled to find a character for to finish the team. Tried Storm, didn't work on that team as well very little synergy between Wolverine/Storm (no benefit for Wolverine from Storm's assists and vice versa). I tried Sentinel a bit but back then Sentinel was getting too much hate so I dropped him quick. I picked up Wesker because he was a bad ass and I saw Max using him a lot so I got some grip with it.

My team of Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma is old as fuck, WAY older than Noel Brown's back when he still used Wesker/Spencer. I played it when people still thought Sentinel was broken and She Hulk was godlike. In the middle I played a ton with Iron Man in order to make him work because of his assist. I saw potential in him and kept at him. At the very least, he is a decent anchor with a great assist and good X Factor boosts... not much to lose to put him on my team. I had some match footage of Wesker/Iron Man combination from Max's videos but he dropped Iron Man really quickly to my disappointment.

Then came Marvel 1.0 and Viscant... it was a game changer for me. I must have seen that video 20 times for the set ups, now I know them like the back of my hand. The problem then came that I was good enough with the pair of Wesker/Iron Man but didn't have a 3rd man (again...). I tried Wesker/Iron Man/Sentinel, Chris/Wesker/Iron Man (2 meter builders lol this team never worked despite how hard I tried to make it work) and Wesker/Iron Man/Akuma, Wesker/Ryu/Iron Man, Wesker/Dormammu/Iron Man (technically this was the best one because it had all the components... battery/user/assist but I could never settle on if I wanted Wesker first or Dorm).

And then Vergil was announced... I knew my old teams would have to be scrapped for this GOD of a character. I planned to make an entire team dedicated to Vergil, team synergy and all. Then the reveal went up and I was literally shocked as to how Vergil's play style really matched mine and how well he went into my already current duo. The problem with Wesker/Iron Man if you aren't using Phoenix is that you always had meter to blow. There would be points in the game where I am having a tough time breaking the opponent but had plenty of meter built up... yet no hyper I had I could just throw out or burn it. Vergil is the perfect user on that team and his assists/hypers all appear to be very synergistic with Wesker/Iron Man.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Im gonna still build around SheHulk, Arthur and Deadpool

out of the new characters Hawkeye and Vergil are gonna get the launch team try-outs

Anth0ny

I've been playing Wesker since day one. Before tournament results. I just love the character, I love his gun, and I love that fucking level 3.

Phoenix Wright will be on my team. No discussion.

3rd character is up in the air. I'm going to wait and see how Wright plays before committing to someone at this time. I can't wait to get my hands on Ultimate. So far, every new character looks fun as hell.

Quadratic

I'll be going to TorontoTopTier12 tomorrow as a player. Any tips for a first timer going to a tournament? Although I don't feel nervous now but I know I will when it's my turn to play. I guess there's nothing that can really prepare you.

smurfx

get some go again
Frantic said:
You know, the sad thing is I get blown up by Tron on point more than her Gustaff Fire assist. I'm always trying to anti-air/air-throw her and get hit by that giant jumping H for my troubles. Hell, I've gotten blown up by more Trons than Dark Phoenixes and Wolverine.

What is wrong with me?
really? even with taskmaster? i toss her around like a rag doll whenever i'm playing against her. since she has a big hit box i can toss her into the corner and then call haggar assist and then jump up and shoot a down arrow and continue into a big combo. not only that but haggar assist eats her up as well. i usually just zone the shit out of her though.

GGs Ultimoo.

Edit: You can see why I can't wait for Firebrand - very much the same feel as Phoenix, but without being free meat if you make one mistake/the netcode blips, haha.

Neki

Karsticles said:
GGs Ultimoo.

Edit: You can see why I can't wait for Firebrand - very much the same feel as Phoenix, but without being free meat if you make one mistake/the netcode blips, haha.

I hate Dorm. That Purificationx2 + Morrigan assist cancelled into Stalking Flare builds too much meter. :( and that godly crouching M blows up everything I got.

not sure if I'm feeling the Phoenix on point, Sentinel might still be better. :O

smurfx

get some go again
Karsticles said:
GGs Ultimoo.

who won?

Azure J

Oh we're talking favorites/character loyalties now? Wanted to roll with a Dante/Morrigan/Phoenix team from forever ago, not for anymore reason than Dante being Dante, Morrigan having that awesome meter burning assist (I swear I burn so much meter in these games) and also being one of my favorite Darkstalkers, and Phoenix because at the time (this was like pre-historic Marvel, when Team ASS was blowing up people all day and Marn 1.0 tech exposed it for the first time) people were ragging on the character for being made of styrofoam.

As things would have it though, lack of time and a console to play dat Marvel on worked against me so I wound up watching from the sidelines. With news of Ultimate arriving with new characters, I had some hopes and some ideas but nothing really big until Capcom hiccuped and let it be known that Strider, Doctor-Fucking-Strange, and Vergil would arrive along with great surprises like Firebrand, Hawkeye, and Iron Fist adding to the crazy that was Marvel's initial roster. Now after so much time spent stream monstering and familiarizing myself with the cast I'm ready to try rocking a few different teams, with the primary team (as of now) being Dante/Morrigan/Vergil. (Yes, I'm a DMC3 head, E3 2004 trailer sold me for life.) Who knows, maybe sometime down the road I'll go back and try Phoenix on point shenanigans since I was one of the guys championing that theory.
I also actually liked how she played too minus her hyper crazy broken stuff in Dark Phoenix mode.
:p

Also, show of hands, who's on 360 Mahvel-GAF (or plans to remain on with Ultimate coming)?

Edit: Why must I always be so laaaate... :(

smurfx

get some go again
SolarPowered said:
Character loyalty is for the weak
and DMC fans

Gonna have to expand my search for a solid team in UMvC3.
i look forward to squashing that team! :p q has turned me on to firebrand. wonder if i can make create a good keep away team with him and tasky and someone else. there are so many good zoning players in umvc that i may end up creating a 2nd team.

I'm thinking...

Ammy/Morrigan/Vergil

That is the most likely team so far unless Morrigan turns out to be a better XF3 anchor than before. I may drop her entirely for better DHC and THC synergy though...

smurfx

get some go again
i swear i really want to pick up a teleporting character. don't have to work very hard opening up players with that shit. although i know i won't just because they make me so damn salty.

Kimosabae

Banned
All Iron Man, all day. One of the best fighting game characters I've ever laid my hands on. I'm still going to play him in Ultimate - unless his nerfs just make him THAT unfun. Aesthetically, his model is beautiful - I love his ground blocking animations in particular. He just looks like such a fucking boss hunkered down behind that shield.

smurfx

get some go again
oh man ending a 1st lords 16 game winning streak with a perfect never felt so good. he's a phoenix user too and that makes it even better. plus this ass rage quit yesterday when i beat him.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
My newest irritation with Marvel on PS3: It's a pain in the ass to stream from.

Can't use HDMI because Sony decided to keep HDCP active during game play for god only knows why. Can't use component because gaming monitors don't have component inputs. The only component-to-VGA adapter I have that makes for a workable setup lags, according to players who tested it. The HDMI-to-component converter I have that says it's HDCP 1.2 compliant doesn't pick up the PS3's signal.

What the fuck does Sp00ky use? Tired of not knowing this shit doesn't work until after I already drive 45 miles to the venue because nobody actually plays this game on PS3 at home and there's no other way for me to test shit.

Feh.

Sixfortyfive said:
My newest irritation with Marvel on PS3: It's a pain in the ass to stream from.

Can't use HDMI because Sony decided to keep HDCP active during game play for god only knows why. Can't use component because gaming monitors don't have component inputs. The only component-to-VGA adapter I have that makes for a workable setup lags, according to players who tested it. The HDMI-to-component converter I have that says it's HDCP 1.2 compliant doesn't pick up the PS3's signal.

What the fuck does Sp00ky use? Tired of not knowing this shit doesn't work until after I already drive 45 miles to the venue because nobody actually plays this game on PS3 at home and there's no other way for me to test shit.

Feh.
You should ask Kadey in the SSFIV thread. She's streamed on PS3 plenty of times.

I hate Dorm. That Purificationx2 + Morrigan assist cancelled into Stalking Flare builds too much meter. :( and that godly crouching M blows up everything I got.
Morrigan + Purification x2 builds about half a bar of meter. If I start Dormammu with 5 bars and he goes on uninterrupted doing the series, it deals 1.5 million chip damage. In Ultimate, I'll even be able to cancel a Dark Matter into the second Purification for a little more chip and meter!

not sure if I'm feeling the Phoenix on point, Sentinel might still be better. :O
I don't think Phoenix on point is a great idea, but I like the high risk play, Sentinel has too many bad matchups (like 70% of the cast), Phoenix is the character closest to Firebrand in this game (even though they're very different), and, most importantly, I want to get good with the Dormammu/Morrigan synergy, and since Sentinel is my second most played character, I tend to OCV people a lot and never get to learn the real team I'll be using. In some sense, I want Phoenix to die.

I do not kiss and tell sir.

Character loyalty is for the weak and DMC fans.

Gonna have to expand my search for a solid team in UMvC3.
You better change that avatar, POSER!

Karsticles, you really like your salty balls, lol. GGS.
Hahaha. Well, sometimes I will rush a lot if I am used to my opponent and know how to trip him up. Or, if my opponent is using Dormammu, Skrull, or Hidden Missiles, I have no choice but to rush, since Phoenix can't handle that stuff at a distance.

The goal is to build meter - so why rush things? ;-)

GGs.

You should Tweet Sp00ky or PM Haunts. I'm sure either one would love to tell you.

Top Bottom