• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Frantic

Yeah, I guess. I can't really think of any particular bad match ups for Dante. Maybe Ammy because Dante can't really get high attacks off on her. He can, but it's really freaking hard to do, since his jumping hitboxes don't have very much vertical range. It's not that hard of a match up, either way.

Karsticles said:
And wow, Dark Prince is so annoying. Holy shit.
CLAWKWORK! CLAWKWORK!
Fitting for the Clockwork Jill perfect just now.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The thing about Phoenix in general is that the match-up shifts wildly depending on the circumstance. She's weakest right after transforming, as she has no meter and therefore no invincible get out of jail free card, and if you can use that window of opportunity to lock her down you can probably get some success out of it. The moment she gets one bar all bets are off though.

And an XF3 Dark Phoenix with a trap set against almost any incoming character is at least a 9-1 in her favor. That is the one situation you basically have to plan ahead to avoid from the very beginning of the match.

shaowebb said:
Yeah you've played me before and know how ass my connection is. You know for awhile they downgraded their basic plan which used to be the one I got now down to 1.6 MBPS download and .5 MPBS upload ?

That shitty connection was $48! I had to pay more just to get what I used to have back at $56.

This is why I decided screw trying to go any further on ranked and that when I do get the time to play it'd be in the lab.
Bandwidth doesn't have any bearing on online gaming. 56K is technically enough for most things.

Something else is fucked with your connection if you're having problems (and from my experience back in Huntington, that is also probably Comcast's fault anyway).

Frantic

Sixfortyfive said:
The thing about Phoenix in general is that the match-up shifts wildly depending on the circumstance. She's weakest right after transforming, as she has no meter and therefore no invincible get out of jail free card, and if you can use that window of opportunity to lock her down you can probably get some success out of it. The moment she gets one bar all bets are off though.

And an XF3 Dark Phoenix with a trap set against almost any incoming character is at least a 9-1 in her favor. That is the one situation you basically have to plan ahead to avoid from the very beginning of the match.
True enough. Usually the moment she goes dark I just throw everything I possibly can at her, throwing all caution to the wind for a last ditch effort that'll either net me the win or the loss. Dealing with Dark Phoenix in X-Factor Level 3 is a coin flip, so I might as well make my own coin flip. :p

Also, in regards to the trap thing - I will say that it's utter bullshit, but by then I've pretty much given up and just start spinning the analog stick in circles hoping I'll block correctly. It's worked a few times! :p

Dahbomb

Dante's best tool against Phoenix is Jam Session. He can do Jam Session and on hit confirm go into X Factor and an infinite if he wants to. He can do other stuff too after it like DT into a full screen hyper.

Thing about Dante is that he has a LOT of gimmick stuff on him. He has stuff that if you haven't seen it before you are getting hit by it. And stuff like that is great against Phoenix because you just need that one opening on her no matter what the hit confirm. He can do Million Carats teleport, Acid Rain + DT/XF or just random hysteric into teleport. Hell even air throw into Tempest might come in handy if he is left solo.

smurfx

get some go again
when it comes to dark phoenix my best character against her is taskmaster. spam salty balls? hyper her in the air. his H has great range and often times catches her. lots of the times if i have haggar i call him in and see if he can catch her and then kill her. if she starts hitting him then i try and use that chance to catch her off guard.

I played my first ranked match in months yesterday against a dude with 10x as many wins as me. I hit a couple combos for the first time online, and purposely extended a Wolverine combo long enough to barely get that third bar and Weapon X to kill off his Wolverine. I was like "fuck yeah high level meter management" cause I'd never done that before. Then when I was up 3 vs Akuma, I got happy birthday'd, x-factor, dead as shit.

It's mahvel baby =(

Frantic

I know that feeling. Now-a-days, I never call an assist against the final character, especially if they have X-Factor on or available. I've probably lost 50 games just because I reflexively called an assist, got the two-for-one dosage of salty Akuma beams, and then choked with my last character. Now I always make sure to keep my fingers away from the assist buttons when up against the last character.

Calling an assist against a character that can punish assists easily and has X-Factor is asking for death. I won't even risk calling Morrigan (vulnerable for 10 whole frames) against Akuma when he's anchoring.

Well, now I know. Thanks for the tip guys.

I think my Wesker's coming along OK. Before I tried him in some matches, the only combo I tried was:

(optionally j.S) cr.B st.C (2 hits) qcf+B (wallbounce) dash cr.B cr.C S ^ BBCS v dash gun

which can be followed up by team super or amurica's favorite combo. Since then, this morning I noticed I can get better damage by skipping the wallbounce and just doing 2 air magic series with akuma assist in between for the relaunch.

I'm gonna play him without the OTG gun -> cr.B link for now and stick to easymode combos instead.

Actually, to elaborate on my previous statement:

In almost all cases, I consider even approaching a character in XF3 to be a poor decision. There are very few cases during streams where an XF3 comeback happens and I am not thinking "why didn't you just turtle and wait for it to wear off?" Such behavior really should be the standard response to an empty X-Factor. As soon as my opponents blow X-Factor, I only do five things with Dormammu:

1) Place Flame Carpet.
2) Superjump.
3) Fly.
4) Teleport.
5) Random (but safe) hypers.

All of these are done with the single goal of ensuring my opponent does nothing worthwhile with his X-Factor. I even consider it worth 3-4 bars of meter just to keep my opponent busy so he can't hurt me, even though no chip damage is being done. X-Factor is that scary to me.

Though my individual team does make me somewhat more lax about burning meter, and for me, losing Dormammu is just a step away from losing the entire match.

Forgive me Marvel-GAF, for I have wronged the game.

I'm trading in Stark for Masters on my main team in the handful of remaining MvC3 tournaments I'll be going to.

He's so easy to play as, and all this IM practice is going to waste anyway. Plus it'll get me more used to an arrow assist for when Clint drops.

RIP Anthony, I hardly knew ye outside of your assist role T_T

I feel dirty. Not that Taskmaster is zomg Weskar, but he's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally easy to play as. Shit just seems to work.

Dahbomb said:
You should learn Spider Man for Spider Man because he's awesome. Plus there is a new video on SRK on Spider Man, just a combo video though.

Truth. Such a fun design in this one. <3 Peter.

Nyoro SF

When someone activates Level 3 X-Factor I just activate Morrigan's Astral and just start chucking the plasma all over the place.

Normal Jump -> Fly -> Plasma

Random missiles work too, because they hit behind me. Good against Wesker and Wolverine.

Killa Sasa said:
He's so easy to play as, and all this IM practice is going to waste anyway. Plus it'll get me more used to an arrow assist for when Clint drops.

Who can blame you? You've got to reach for that extra edge and the easier something is, the better.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Killa Sasa said:

I'm trading in Stark for Masters on my main team in the handful of remaining MvC3 tournaments I'll be going to.

I feel dirty. Not that Taskmaster is zomg Weskar, but he's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally easy to play as. Shit just seems to work.
15.jpg

karst can you learn this combo and do it against me? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76dR-...eature=related
If you sat still and let me, haha. I have a horrible tendency to forget to jump-cancel into 1D2C when I have it after launching (part of it is Dormammu's atrocious hit confirms). For a while when I was using Thor, I practiced getting all 3 charges and releasing them mid-combo, because Mighty Smash provides THAT much time.

Also, while that's a neat combo, the team isn't to my taste, and I generally find that burning a Liberation mid-combo is a bad idea outside of X-Factor. Like when you look at 1D2C, it does a huge ~200K damage. But that was during almost 40 hits, so the rest of your combo scales like ass, and your final damage is only like 50K higher than if you didn't use 1D2C in the end (though you get a ton more meter). Alternatively, if you try to double relaunch into 1D2C, your opponent recovers from a launcher before 1D2C connects.

So, it's really only for style, IMO. I personally much rather value 1D2C for screen control, since while the meteors come down Dormammu has time to charge two more Dark Spells, placing you at just one more Dark Spell until another meteor shower. Against Haggar, my screen looks like the day of judgment has come.

Caj814

messing around with taskmaster and found a use for his unblockable against phoenix. Not practical so far but I think it's something to test out a bit more with certain team setups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnTCJFnIlk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BNglmj5-4w

The way it works is to make sure task doesn't hit phoenix with any of his arrows during the THC by Xfactor canceling it asap so you can also move about freely and setup the unblockable while phoenix is still push blocking and since it would be your first real hit against her, she won't be able to push you back at all.

With UMvC3 on the horizon this could still be somewhat useful in baiting your opponent to blow an air XF1 and shut down their options. These THC combinations were just quick examples since I'm sure using screen filling ones will be much more appealing.

smurfx

get some go again
ugh i really wanted to level up to master lord today but i'm getting tremendous lag right now. no clue what is happening with my internet connection right now.

Dahbomb

Caj814 said:
messing around with taskmaster and found a use for his unblockable against phoenix. Not practical so far but I think it's something to test out a bit more with certain team setups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnTCJFnIlk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BNglmj5-4w

The way it works is to make sure task doesn't hit phoenix with any of his arrows during the THC by Xfactor canceling it asap so you can also move about freely and setup the unblockable while phoenix is still push blocking and since it would be your first real hit against her, she won't be able to push you back at all.

With UMvC3 on the horizon this could still be somewhat useful in baiting your opponent to blow an air XF1 and shut down their options. These THC combinations were just quick examples since I'm sure using screen filling ones will be much more appealing.
Good shit reminds me of MarlinPie's THC stuff. Great job with the Last Hurrah videos too.

Killa Sasa said:

Don't worry, both of their first names are Tony.

Welcome aboard.

Dahbomb

Karsticles said:
Iron Man tutorial - very good and worth watching:
http://shoryuken.com/2011/09/30/mvc3-complete-guide-to-advanced-iron-man-tactics-and-technology/

Edit: Stuff like this is exactly what I'm talking about Solar. How can people talk about Iron Man's tier placement when videos like this are still coming out?
I saw that video and there really is nothing new in the video that is going to blow people's head or make Iron Man move up/down tiers. A lot of those combos are fairly difficult involving tight links or have spacing issues especially the d+H one and some of the technology presented isn't that practical (and not only that but he missed out on a lot of his actual practical technology like his very fast double overhead with box air dash j.M, j.M). The video doesn't really change Iron Man's tier list at all (well at least in the one that I have him in) but I hope that more people pick him up and try him out a bit longer after watching this.

I REALLY REALLY hope Capcom gives Iron Man another look as far as his tri-jump goes. I really liked his tri-jump in MVC3 and watching that video it pains me to see that his options out of it may not be the same. Along with the other buffs he received, he can live up to the potential with MVC3 tri-dash Iron Man.

Edit: There are some tricks to Iron Man like Repulsor Blast set ups, dash under after OTG Smart bombs for resets and air to air resets. There was another video a while back that had all this stuff for Iron Man including the other fly/unfly combo which I guess not many people use anymore.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The problem with Marvel 3 is most of the tier placement type stuff is based on HOW EASY everything is to do. The harder the execution of your character the lower they end up on the tiers by default before factoring anything else in. Which is ass backwards. But also capcoms fault for letting easy to use characters do as much dmg as the technical ones with less effort :p

Neki

Karst you should really be going for style over functionality when you're playing online anyways. you gotta wow your opponent before you beat them down!

Dahbomb

Yeah you don't see a lot of this stuff in tournaments. But then again... how many Iron Man players do you even see? I am however x-copying those Unibeam set ups, they are definitely relevant to my interests.

This video also has a bunch of stuff you guys probably haven't seen and this was created a LONG time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VxmzMiG10

What is also underrated and underutilized is Iron Man's zoning in the air. He can do like Unibeam then Smart Bomb into air dash down j.d+H. A lot of hit boxes flying around and you generally get tagged around. There are many ways to mix these zoning option ups in the air by adding a double jump air dash forward doing another smart bomb etc. We might see more of this in UMVC3 though.

One thing I never see people use with Iron Man is regular combo into OTG Smart Bomb X factor cancel cr.M S relaunch. Probably his best time to use X Factor mid combo and keep the combo going. Even basic stuff like this escapes the general public on Iron Man.

The problem with Marvel 3 is most of the tier placement type stuff is based on HOW EASY everything is to do. The harder the execution of your character the lower they end up on the tiers by default before factoring anything else in. Which is ass backwards. But also capcoms fault for letting easy to use characters do as much dmg as the technical ones with less effort :p
This right here is the real reason. Also similar character archetypes like Iron Man, Doom and Magneto. Magneto is about a tier and a half above Iron Man and Doom is half a tier above Iron Man.

Karst you should really be going for style over functionality when you're playing online anyways. you gotta wow your opponent before you beat them down!
I gauge everything based on how well I am doing. I practice the style stuff in training mode and keep it ready for matches I'm not afraid to get hit on. Against regular sparring partners, I'll loosen myself, but when everyone is looking to talk about how they did against me on a forum, I tend to keep my play somewhat reserved.

For example, when during a corner air throw offline, 100% of the time I do a jump loop with Dormammu, into c.M, Dark Matter, c.H, s.S, etc. Online, I just go straight to launcher. Offline, I try to link Dormammu's mid-screen air throws into combos. Offline, I just Purification into Chaotic Flame.

This video also has a bunch of stuff you guys probably haven't seen and this was created a LONG time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2VxmzMiG10
I was going to just skim this, but then I heard Daft Punk and continued on. Why wasn't this ever posted on SRK's main page?

Ultimoo said:
You should practice what you preach.

:p
QisTopTier said:
I think there are several explanations for this. One of them is the fact that Niitsuma's team doesn't get enough time and funding to fully flesh out the characters. The other reason is that they are probably high when they design some of these charactesrs. Also, the "cool" characters need to be good so that puts extra pressure on them to make sure they kick ass.

Dahbomb

It was and people praised it back then too. But nothing came out of it, most of the amazing technology posted on it I never saw people use in tournament. I myself became a huge fan of that reset involving the back throw and incorporated it into my game (among other stuff). Some of those cross up set ups are really good too.

Kimosabae

Banned
That vid was BOSS. SO much shit in there that I talked about on here and SRK months ago, but there's a ton of new shit I never even considered, such as the Aerial Unibeam mixups and the Midscreen Jumping H hitconfirm. Fuck. That last one just blew my mind I can't even believe I never thought of it. FUCK. That might be a game changer for me.

When I get all this shit down I might have to move IM back on point. So many new ideas.

FUCK.

Time to start whining on Capcom Unity to convey to Capcom that they need to leave this fucking character alone.

My head is full of fuck right now.

Dahbomb

How does an IM player not know about j.H hit confirms? Oh and you should know that j.H hit confirm does not work on all characters, it usually whiffs on the usual suspects + some crouching opponents. Only real use for that is mixing up j.H as you are falling after doing a little zoning with Smart Bombs/unibeam in the air because you can't just do straight jump into j.H that shit gets you killed with a cross under launcher.

The Unibeam set ups were nice, that shit is getting x-copied too especially jump up j.L resets.

What's actually mind blowing is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCCUs-ooQmI&feature=player_embedded

Hopefully we can get some expanded technology on this in UMVC3 when it's special cancelable.

Neki

was thinking about trying a ammy/spiderman/tron team. I really like Tron in the second slot though, good damage soaker, but has terrible match-ups, meaning she'd make a terrible anchor.

Both Wesker and Taskmaster are relatively unchanged in Ultimate, right (besides health)? I don't mind putting in time to learn new characters at this point if those skills will transfer over.

smurfx

get some go again
JeTmAn81 said:
You strike me as the exact audience the person who thought of "achievements" was going after.
only for marvel though. i don't give a damn about achievements at all.

JeTmAn81

smurfx said:
only for marvel though. i don't give a damn about achievements at all.

So you really don't mind your rank being reset so shortly after it was achieved? It just seems like you put a lot of work and enthusiasm into ranking up and it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't have a problem with that being erased. How often would the rankings have to be reset before it would be a problem to you?

smurfx

get some go again
JeTmAn81 said:
So you really don't mind your rank being reset so shortly after it was achieved? It just seems like you put a lot of work and enthusiasm into ranking up and it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't have a problem with that being erased. How often would the rankings have to be reset before it would be a problem to you?
if its a new game then i don't mind it being reset.

Top Bottom