• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Dahbomb

Grecco said:
NerdJosh switched to the best team on the game, Daigos team. I approve.
Best team in the game is Wolverine/Dante/Phoenix or Wolverine/Akuma/Phoenix or Wolverine/Sentinel/Phoenix. There is no such thing as a best team in the game without Wolverine and Phoenix. :D

Scrubbiest teams are Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma and Wolverine/Sentinel/Akuma. Although to be honest any team with Phoenix is scrubby.

Rynge

Neo Member
wolverine and phoenix aren't a good pair to me because you render one of wolverine's most powerful tools (b.slash cancel into b.charge) useless because you have to save meter unless you just want to use phoenix as a mind game.

smurfx

get some go again
Rynge said:
wolverine and phoenix aren't a good pair to me because you render one of wolverine's most powerful tools (b.slash cancel into b.charge) useless because you have to save meter unless you just want to use phoenix as a mind game.
regular wolverine combos can wrack up a bunch of damage though. wolverine/akuma is a pain in the ass and will deal lots of damage. plus you can tac to build meter if you need it.

Rynge

Neo Member
b. charge isn't for the damage, its so you can keep the cross up game constant. with b. charge you can continue the cross up games even while akuma is on cool down.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
Best team in the game is Wolverine/Dante/Phoenix or Wolverine/Akuma/Phoenix or Wolverine/Sentinel/Phoenix. There is no such thing as a best team in the game without Wolverine and Phoenix. :D

Scrubbiest teams are Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma and Wolverine/Sentinel/Akuma. Although to be honest any team with Phoenix is scrubby.

all teams in marvel are scrubby and the best?

Dahbomb

Rynge said:
One word..... TOKIDO

all teams in marvel are scrubby and the best?
Like Jago said... Wolverine is rated E for Everyone and Phoenix is rated EC for Early Childhood in terms of difficulty in winning a match. What they both have in common is that they win matches.

Not all teams are scrubby and the best. Teams involving Dante, Magneto, C Viper aren't scrubby at all they require a lot of technical skill. Viper/Dante/Haggar is one of the best teams there is but it's not scrubby.

Dahbomb said:
One word..... TOKIDO

Like Jago said... Wolverine is rated E for Everyone and Phoenix is rated EC for Early Childhood in terms of difficulty in winning a match. What they both have in common is that they win matches.

Not all teams are scrubby and the best. Teams involving Dante, Magneto, C Viper aren't scrubby at all they require a lot of technical skill. Viper/Dante/Haggar is one of the best teams there is but it's not scrubby.
Magneto and Dante don't REQUIRE it. Applying those technical skills definitely opens those characters up a lot more than it would others.

Phoenix and Wolvie just don't have as much depth as Dante, Magneto and Viper in the long haul, but that is no skin off their backs. Viper is the only one who requires technical skill out of the three you mentioned though.

LakeEarth

One huge meta-game advantage that a Wolverine/Pheonix team has is when you land a hit on Wolverine, you want to snap in Pheonix... but you want to kill Wolverine too. And killing him builds bar for their team, but if you snap her out and kill Pheonix, you now have team best friends with ~4 bars to deal with. Basically it makes snapping her in less appealing.

Gegz

Banned
Rynge said:
point still stands that he hasn't done anything since
There's probably many reasons for that : SSFIV AE, hard to find people playing MVC3 in Japan (For matchups and stuff), new technology found by american players... By the way, i'm sure he's going to play Strider on UMVC3.

Rynge

Neo Member
Gegz said:
There's probably many reasons for that : SSFIV AE, hard to find people playing MVC3 in Japan (For matchups and stuff), new technology found by american players... By the way, i'm sure he's going to play Strider on UMVC3.

you're completely missing the point and my comments were never intended for you anyways.

point still stands that he hasn't done anything since. that was my point. not whether or not the tech was BRAND NEW
You are missing the point. The team has won a tournament. Therefore, the team works reasonably well, and putting Wolverine and Phoenix together is not a bad idea. That Tokido has faded a bit means nothing.

bwahahaha i got a new wolverine combo that kills without x-factor #worstgameeverbecauseIlosttoPhoenixQQ
Fixed.

Rynge

Neo Member
Karsticles said:
You are missing the point. The team has won a tournament. Therefore, the team works reasonably well, and putting Wolverine and Phoenix together is not a bad idea. That Tokido has faded a bit means nothing.

the team works fine. but i said i'm not a fan of it and there ARE better phoenix and wolverine teams out there. the best phoenix/best wolverine team will not contain both of them together. there were both wolverine and phoenix teams in evo top 8, was there a WOLVERINE AND PHOENIX TEAM? I don't recall that there was.

i made the point that i don't like the pair and that there are better alternatives. i didn't say the pair hasn't worked in the past.

the team works fine. but i said i'm not a fan of it and there ARE better phoenix and wolverine teams out there. the best phoenix/best wolverine team will not contain both of them together. there were both wolverine and phoenix teams in evo top 8, was there a WOLVERINE AND PHOENIX TEAM? I don't recall that there was.
That a team did not make it into the top 8 of our first Evo, not even a year after the game released, is not categorical evidence that the team is not a good idea (or even the best idea). Heck, most of the top 8 teams didn't even have Wolverine on them - that in itself shows how reluctant people were still being in their tier whoring!

Oh god, this is so awkward to watch
Jago is so vulgar...

Kimosabae

Banned
SolarPowered said:
Magneto and Dante don't REQUIRE it. Applying those technical skills definitely opens those characters up a lot more than it would others.

Phoenix and Wolvie just don't have as much depth as Dante, Magneto and Viper in the long haul, but that is no skin off their backs. Viper is the only one who requires technical skill out of the three you mentioned though.

What are you talking about? Do you even play those characters?

Hell, Viper without an Assist can shave off 850+ with two meters using ABCD shit. She's not hard to be successful with, I don't care what anyone says. She's got hard to execute tricks that probably make her the most dynamic character in the game, sure, but she ain't hard, fundamentally.

Dante and Mags REQUIRE execution. None of their real damage comes from magic series combos. Executing Dante combos - outside the Marn combo - is like trying to do a speed run in a platformer - there's just tons of places to fuck up. Mags has his ROM loops and Flight stuff. No one launches to Magic Series with Mags. Not to mention Mags is FAST, so controlling and spacing him requires execution too.

Kimosabae said:
What are you talking about? Do you even play those characters?

Hell, Viper without an Assist can shave off 850+ with two meters using ABCD shit. She's not hard to be successful with, I don't care what anyone says. She's got hard to execute tricks that probably make her the most dynamic character in the game, sure, but she ain't hard, fundamentally.

Dante and Mags REQUIRE execution. None of their real damage comes from magic series combos. Executing Dante combos - outside the Marn combo - is like trying to do a speed run in a platformer - there's just tons of places to fuck up. Mags has his ROM loops and Flight stuff. No one launches to Magic Series with Mags. Not to mention Mags is FAST, so controlling and spacing him requires execution too.
Magneto domination-Assist+Rushdown, Magic series+Grabbity squeege, DISRUPTAH+assist(If you run out of meter)

Dante domination- Abuse long range normals(If you run out of meter), use lockdown assist+teleport(If you run out of meter), spam hammah(If you run out of meter), ABC combo+level 3

Much easier than Viper with short range normals and works best with tons of meter under her belt. How many casual Viper players do you see offline and online compared to Mags and Dante? There you go.

They're not super easy, but they are definitely easier to win with compared to Viper.

Edit: Oh godammit, I was saying that they don't require as much execution at the lower levels compared to Viper. It should be obvious to anyone who has seen how the community has evolved.

No doubt that they are inherently technical characters though.

USD

The East Coast team for the Season's Beatings Velocity 5v5:

Noel Brown
IFC Yipes
PR Balrog
MarlinPie
Job

Notice anyone missing? *COUGH* Chris G *COUGH*

Chris G: good enough to beat Noel with troll teams, not good enough for the 5v5.

Also, Marlin playing on a tricycle.

FtSKY.png

Rynge

Neo Member
Karsticles said:
That a team did not make it into the top 8 of our first Evo, not even a year after the game released, is not categorical evidence that the team is not a good idea (or even the best idea). Heck, most of the top 8 teams didn't even have Wolverine on them - that in itself shows how reluctant people were still being in their tier whoring!

so a team not winning is not evidence against it, but a team winning is evidence for it... alrighty then.

Frantic

USD said:

Noel Brown
IFC Yipes
PR Balrog
MarlinPie
Job

Chris G: good enough to beat Noel with troll teams, not good enough for the 5v5.
Noel is bitter about that, I guess. No surprise there.

USD

Ultimoo said:
who is job
Florida player, he was the Zero/Phoenix player at CEO who ran Phoenix in the second slot.

He was on stream with the Option-Select guys a few weeks ago, was dominating everyone, and with multiple teams.

Dahbomb

Job is the one who uses Zero/Phoenix/Tron right?

He's decent but over ChrisG? I smell politics.

bwahahaha i got a new wolverine combo that kills without x-factor #worstgameever
I have one too... so the fuck what?

there were both wolverine and phoenix teams in evo top 8, was there a WOLVERINE AND PHOENIX TEAM?
Noel Brown switched to Wolverine/Wesker/Phoenix in top 8 against Justin Wong to take one game off of him.

And Tokido has won 3 major tournaments with this combination (Sunfest, Shadowloo and CEO). Actually after Final Round which was ages ago it was only at EVO where he lost. He had a huge winning streak going on with this team spanning 3 and a half tournaments. He got randomed out at EVO, which sucks but he had the potential to go all the way IMO.

Tokkido barely played it like a phoenix team anyways.
That's why it's good. Get a combo with Wolverine... finish off team with Wolverine and still guarantee Dark Phoenix (just without X Factor). Get blown up with Wolverine, save meter/XF for Phoenix and blow up with Dark Phoenix plus XF.

Phoenix and Wolvie just don't have as much depth as Dante, Magneto and Viper in the long haul, but that is no skin off their backs.
Phoenix has decent depth if you play her as a character. Although the more effort you try to put into her the worse off you are.

Rynge

Neo Member
Dahbomb said:
Noel Brown switched to Wolverine/Wesker/Phoenix in top 8 against Justin Wong to take one game off of him.

And Tokido has won 3 major tournaments with this combination (Sunfest, Shadowloo and CEO). Actually after Final Round which was ages ago it was only at EVO where he lost. He had a huge winning streak going on with this team spanning 3 and a half tournaments. He got randomed out at EVO, which sucks but he had the potential to go all the way IMO.

noel brown switched to that team for one set, a set which he lost. what brought him to top 8? wesker, wolverine, akuma.

Tokido won Shadowloo and Sunfest... 2 tournaments with no american marvel players. that doesn't give him any credibility in my opinion. it's like when we go to canada for marvel, we EXPECT to win that shit. with no real competition, tokido losing would have been an even weaker look. shit, mago got 2nd at shadowloo and he got BODIED by honzo at SCR. that should be indication to the competition in that tourny.

Dahbomb

Yeah that was the sentiment before CEO when he came in and beat all the top American players there. I don't know what someone has to do to get "credibility" in MVC3.

Taking off a game from Justin Wong when you couldn't do it with your main team means that your alternate team is fucking good that it did that in the first place. Justin had to change HIS team to win that match and was on the verge of being eliminated by Noel Brown's Phoenix team. The cherry on top is that this was Noel Brown's first use of the team in a tournament setting.

Rynge

Neo Member
and i already addressed that no one was familiar with playing against tokido's strategy. no one in america was doing that. no one had any experience against it. once it got exposed here, he hasn't done anything since.

and again, justin losing to noel brown's first time tourny phoenix is more of a testament to phoenix's randomness than anything. also ACTUALLY WINNING mad sets to get to top 8 >>>>>>> taking 1 game off justin with a first time tourny phoenix and still losing anyway.

Dahbomb

Problem with that team is that it's free to LVL3XF comebacks. Now when the metagame was shifting, very few people relied on LVL3XF comebacks anymore except for the lowered tiered players. Tokido took full advantage of this mentality and gained the upper hand. It was like "I am using XF early on a Phoenix team... why aren't you?" Then the opponent uses their's early in a match to kill Wolverine and he goes to plan B... chips them out with Dark Phoenix.

He got randomed out because he killed off 2 characters and had to just fight off against 1 character in LVL3XF. He got OCV'd a couple of times this way. There is nothing to "download" or "expose" about his team, Justin Wong put up the best fight against him at a level where he could've controlled the odds. Riding on a LVL3XF comeback against a packed Wolverine team is still riding against the odds.

Tokido was good enough to be in top 8 EVO. Period. It's not just that his team was good or his game plan was good... he didn't drop combos and his set ups were on the money.

Rynge

Neo Member
I never said tokido wasnt good enough to get to top 8. The fact is he didnt, no matter the context on which he got eliminated. Just like the context of him winning those majors (where he beat no one) didnt matter to you. Tokido is a great player who capitalized on his gimmick in america the first time. Either way, you blow your meter or x-factor with wolverine and leave phoenix/dark phoenix hindered or you save that meter and x-factor and wolverine is hindered. thats why my point is I dont like them as a pair.

USD said:

Noel Brown
IFC Yipes
PR Balrog
MarlinPie
Job

lol

SB6 will be free as hell for West Coast.

Dahbomb

Grecco said:
He used Pheonix vs Justin at Power Up iirc
LOL other way around. Justin used Phoenix on him and put her on point. He got a yellow card for it.

Eh... at least East Coast has a Phoenix player for once.

I count 2 Wolverines, 2 Dantes, 2 Akumas, 2 Magnetos, 2 Trons, 1 Phoenix, 1, Viper, 1 Wesker, 1 Ammy, 1 Zero. Except for Haggar they got all the "tops".

Azure J

_dementia said:
lol

Man, MarlinPie, Yipes & PR Rog make me want to believe, but I feel like not having Chris G was kinda a mistake for the team layout.

Rynge

Neo Member
you guys think Jago has any chance against Viscant in the exhibition? I always thought Jago could win tournys in marvel but he's never lived up to my expectations.

Dahbomb

Rynge said:
you guys think Jago has any chance against Viscant in the exhibition? I always thought Jago could win tournys in marvel but he's never lived up to my expectations.
Of course he has a chance, he's a damn good player with a damn good team with some of the best/dirtiest technology out there. If his Phoenix anti-technology is up to snuff he has a chance.

And some players do better in long exhibition matches than shorter tournament style matches.

Yipes is supposed to be good in MvC3?
He's decent for sure. Almost beat Combofiend rather early at EVO. However he has been choking a lot at MVC3 lately.

Frantic

Rynge said:
whats the newest yipes footage? Supposedly his dante is a monster.
He'll be at Wednesday Night Fights tonight apparently, so if you want the newest Yipes footage, wait until then. :p

Top Bottom