• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

El Sloth

Banned
Can anyone point me to good tutorial/combo vids for Dante, Taskmaster, and Wesker?

_dementia said:
Oh god, this is so awkward to watch
Yes, yes that was. And I love Jago's Bipson, but dude comes off super obnoxious in that vid.

Dahbomb

For Wesker you are covered with Maximillian's Guide to Wesker and Cross Couner's Marvel 1.0 featuring Viscant.

Taskmaster you don't really need a tutorial he's fairly easy to learn. Spam arrows, abuse normal ranges and learn his BnB.

Surprised there is no Dante tutorial out there. Learn the bold cancels (using plink method or normal method), learn some combos, then learn his spacing tools + abuse normal ranges and how to follow up after his air throw. Use Hammer, Crystal, Hysteric, Air Guitar, Stinger -> Reverb Shock -> Fireworks as well as teleport mix ups using assists. He has a ton of gimmicks on him that maybe worth your investment learning.

I wish I had a capture card, would love to make a Dante tutorial.

El Sloth said:
Can anyone point me to good tutorial/combo vids for Dante, Taskmaster, and Wesker?

Yes, yes that was. And I love Jago's Bipson, but dude comes off super obnoxious in that vid.

that supposed to his shtick but i just think it doesn't have enough feeling.

rynge said:
so a team not winning is not evidence against it, but a team winning is evidence for it... alrighty then.
Absolutely. Are you new to logic and reasoning?

The East Coast team for the Season's Beatings Velocity 5v5:

Noel Brown
IFC Yipes
PR Balrog
MarlinPie
Job

Notice anyone missing? *COUGH* Chris G *COUGH*

Chris G: good enough to beat Noel with troll teams, not good enough for the 5v5.

Also, Marlin playing on a tricycle.
Is Balrog even technically "East Coast"?

Who the hell is "Job"?

Nice to see what Yipes will have up his sleeve this time around and no Chris G on the east coast team sucks balls

Seasons Beatings sounds like its gonna be great.

Dahbomb

I THINK Job is that Zero player from EVO who was using Zero on point with Phoenix on second and Tron last for the assist back up for Phoenix. His strategy was mostly the same as other Phoenix players but when he gets DP he likes to have Tron as assist to cover her ass.

He lost because whenever Zero gets blown up Phoenix comes in unprotected and gets killed before meter.

Oh and I better the FUCK not see any Vergil nerfs from now until retail.

El Sloth

Banned
Dahbomb said:
For Wesker you are covered with Maximillian's Guide to Wesker and Cross Couner's Marvel 1.0 featuring Viscant.

Taskmaster you don't really need a tutorial he's fairly easy to learn. Spam arrows, abuse normal ranges and learn his BnB.

Surprised there is no Dante tutorial out there. Learn the bold cancels (using plink method or normal method), learn some combos, then learn his spacing tools + abuse normal ranges and how to follow up after his air throw. Use Hammer, Crystal, Hysteric, Air Guitar, Stinger -> Reverb Shock -> Fireworks as well as teleport mix ups using assists. He has a ton of gimmicks on him that maybe worth your investment learning.

I wish I had a capture card, would love to make a Dante tutorial.
Thanks for the Wesker vid recommendations.

Your Dante tips might have as well been typed out in wingding font, but I think the gist of it is to basically just spend time with him in training mode. So, will do on that.

Rynge

Neo Member
Karsticles said:
Absolutely. Are you new to logic and reasoning?

So we shouldnt hold losses against people? So when Justin lost to PR Balrog, justin is absolved of any fault? After evo, he was still the undisputed best? Because according to you that loss didnt mean anything.

So we shouldnt hold losses against people? So when Justin lost to PR Balrog, justin is absolved of any fault? After evo, he was still the undisputed best? Because according to you that loss didnt mean anything.
so a team not winning is not evidence against it, but a team winning is evidence for it... alrighty then.
You are fundamentally changing the subject from team to player.

Ultimoo said:
Job's only job was to job to west coast so Noel Brown wouldn't look like such a jobber.
plUWc.jpg

Rynge

Neo Member
Karsticles said:
You are fundamentally changing the subject from team to player.

but its the same concept. Justin was thought to be the best going in, he LOST, proving that is not the case.

Tokido's team was originally thought to be very smart, but now he's been LOSING and his losses could in large part be due to the way his team works. Tokido is very smart and has great execution, so losses that are at his fault directly are minimal. But dahbomb and myself pointed out the flaws in his team. Now if Tokido has a great gameplan, reactions, and execution, how can the way his team works not be responsible for at least SOME of the losses?

Dahbomb

Because simply put Tokido does NOT have the match up experience of the American players despite how strong he fundamentally is or how strong his team is on paper. MVC3 is America's game, top 32 had like 1 foreign player or something. Most top Japanese MVC3 players would go to some casual tournament of MVC3 and might get blown up, that's the difference. Tokido was miles ahead of anyone in Japan as far as MVC3 went.

Tokido's team has minimal weaknesses, it's only when he plays it risky when holes are created. If he doesn't blow X Factor early, he would've won more matches easily. Plus he needs more match practice playing Wolverine vs a Haggar assist because that's also why he got blown up (no one in Japan thought of that apparently).

You wanna know who else has a GOD tier team yet didn't make top 32 at EVO but has insane execution, reactions, game awareness and some of the best fundamentals there are in a FG? Daigo. His team of Wolverine/Dante/Akuma is considered one of the best teams to play in the game but he didn't get far at all. Again, match up experience is vital and you don't get the same experience playing in Japan.

Now please try to come up with "holes" or problems in this team. That should be interesting.

but its the same concept. Justin was thought to be the best going in, he LOST, proving that is not the case.
No, it is not the same concept. I consider our conversation concluded until you think otherwise.

Rynge

Neo Member
lol i already came up with flaws in this team. if tokido blows x-factor early and you manage to get to phoenix, a good player is going to beat a non-xfactor dark phoenix. if you don't blow x-factor, then that's cool, but i'm not scared of tokido's wolverine without x-factor or meter. and if he decides to start using meter, than you kill phoenix before she transforms.

hence why neither phoenix or wolverine get to perform at their fullest potential, its always one gets to and the other doesn't.

you're right about the matchup experience. the japanese don't have the matchup experience american players have in marvel. but its still clear to me that this team hinders either wolverine or phoenix depending on how you play the team.

EDIT: and its clear tokido was taking marvel more seriously than daigo was. tokido actually competed in multiple events in marvel while daigo's first event was SCR if i recall correctly. but then again, tokido just plays everything so idk.

Dahbomb said:
Tokido's team has minimal weaknesses, it's only when he plays it risky when holes are created. If he doesn't blow X Factor early, he would've won more matches easily. Plus he needs more match practice playing Wolverine vs a Haggar assist because that's also why he got blown up (no one in Japan thought of that apparently).
This reminds me of the Fchamp/Mike Ross video that was posted up on SRK a few days ago. They said that basically everyone over there picks the top tier and goes hard at the game. Character loyalty and favoritism seems to fly right out the window with them.

I wonder if Tokido could even see Haggar's lariat assist coming? Seems like a lot of Japanese players could have fallen for the same trick if this is the case.

Has Tokido ever fought Combofiend? I'd love to hear his thoughts on that team haha.

Rynge

Neo Member
just keep that sin cara avy and you'll be on my good side no matter what.

EDIT: we can agree to disagree or do whatever you may please. i just feel like there are more solid teams out there but i'm done discussing the wolverine/phoenix combo.

JeTmAn81

El Sloth said:
Thanks for the Wesker vid recommendations.

Your Dante tips might have as well been typed out in wingding font, but I think the gist of it is to basically just spend time with him in training mode. So, will do on that.

The problem with Dante is he has so many tools but not all of them will apply very well to the specific character you're matching against. You need to have a good idea of all the things he can do in order to pick which one will work best in a given situation.

It seems to me that the way to start with Dante is:

1. Learn the range and speed of his normal moves. They are all big, sweeping slashes which don't move very quickly, which means you have to use them from a short distance away from your opponent in order to reach them with the length of Dante's sword without getting caught by a very quick attack from someone like Wolverine.

His normal moves also have a big vertical range, so you can use them to get at jumping opponents. Spacing and timing are the two things to learn with that. You can just throw out his normals with impunity if you choose the space and time correctly. If you get blocked, a safe and easy option is to cancel into Reverb Shock (QCB+L) and then Fireworks (H) to keep them from punishing you.

2. Teleport mixups. Dante's teleport is super good but if you do it out of nowhere, you can be punished easily by your opponent. Most Dante's use an assist which keeps the opponent in lockdown for a short time in order to obtain a safe teleport. For instance, if your opponent is getting hit by Sentinel drones you can teleport at that time and they won't be able to do anything to you because they're too busy blocking.

Granted, they'll probably be able to block your attacks after a teleport, but it's a way to get close to the opponent without getting hurt. Usually after a teleport you'll want to hit them with an attack in the air immediately which must be blocked high before dropping down and hitting them with a crouching attack. If either of those is not blocked, you get a combo.

When I saw all the Dante combo videos, I got the impression he was a really fast and deadly character because it looked like he could do a million flashy moves very quickly. But the truth is that he's actually a pretty slow character as far as his attacks go, so you do a lot better by respecting the truly fast characters in the game and keeping them out with your sword as well as many projectile attacks.

Dahbomb

In the changelogs I had mentioned that Taskmaster's air throw into Arrow hyper does less damage now.

That was true until the discovery of mashable hypers. Turns out people were using air throw into unmashed air hyper with Taskmaster which resulted in less damage. If you mash it after an air throw, it still does tremendous damage.

Just wanted to throw that out there. I am discovering a lot of stuff reviewing the tournament vids including a Phoenix nerf that Seth hinted at. I also want to jot down some XF3 timings for some characters if I can.

XF LVL3 on Nemesis lasted 15 Marvel seconds. WTF...

Dahbomb

The buffs on XF are the same across the board. XFLVL1 is a very small buff and scales up to LVL3 which is much less than vanilla LVL3 (closer to LVL2 on most heavy hitting characters).

What's different is duration of XF on characters. I am trying to get a grasp on it myself. My guess is that slower characters who have a hard time getting a hit like Nemesis will have a longer duration of XF.

It's sort of hard to tell XF times because usually XF is popped at the end and it usually ends in quick character deaths and match ends so you can't tell the final time.

JeTmAn81

XboxLive-GAF, it looks like I will be joining you. Due to the fact that the most famous players that actually play online (Viscant, MarlinPie, Mike Ross, etc.) are on Live, and the general preference in the offline community for the 360 (tournaments aside), not to mention the Live network generally being considered to be better than PSN, I have decided to make the switch.

Of course, I can really only do this because I found out my Marvel 3 TE is apparently worth a good bit in aftermarket sales. I've put it up for sale, and assuming it actually does sell, the money will give me what I need to buy a new TE stick for the 360.

I've really enjoyed playing on PSN, and the pricetag (free!) was probably the biggest part of that, but it just looks like the best place for serious players to be is on Live. Maybe I will get to play Mike Ross :D

JeTmAn81 said:
XboxLive-GAF, it looks like I will be joining you. Due to the fact that the most famous players that actually play online (Viscant, MarlinPie, Mike Ross, etc.) are on Live, and the general preference in the offline community for the 360 (tournaments aside), not to mention the Live network generally being considered to be better than PSN, I have decided to make the switch.
Don't forget the fact that the game runs better (fewer framedrops) on 360

JeTmAn81 said:

Of course, I can really only do this because I found out my Marvel 3 TE is apparently worth a good bit in aftermarket sales. I've put it up for sale, and assuming it actually does sell, the money will give me what I need to buy a new TE stick for the 360.

I've really enjoyed playing on PSN, and the pricetag (free!) was probably the biggest part of that, but it just looks like the best place for serious players to be is on Live. Maybe I will get to play Mike Ross :D
The grass really is greener on the other side. You'll have a blast with XBL.

If Q, Ultimoo and Karsticles joined us this would be even more hype than the new characters in UMvC3(Not quite as hype as the mechanic changes which are freaking HUGE to me though). I'm not even exaggerating at all...

Join the hivemind and buy an Xbox, Karsticles! :p
Dahbomb said:
The buffs on XF are the same across the board. XFLVL1 is a very small buff and scales up to LVL3 which is much less than vanilla LVL3 (closer to LVL2 on most heavy hitting characters).
I want to see those percentages and I want to see some substantial drops for some characters. That 180%+ damage stuff needs to get the fuck out of here unless you are The Hulk or some poor slow moving bastard.
Dahbomb said:
What's different is duration of XF on characters. I am trying to get a grasp on it myself. My guess is that slower characters who have a hard time getting a hit like Nemesis will have a longer duration of XF.

It's sort of hard to tell XF times because usually XF is popped at the end and it usually ends in quick character deaths and match ends so you can't tell the final time.
I really really really hope this is the case. If I start seeing nonsense with top tiers having more XF time I don't know if I could handle the salt...

Join the hivemind and buy an Xbox, Karsticles! :p
I have all three of this generation's major consoles. I just think paying for XBL is ridiculous, and I have no intention of doing so in the near future. If Microsoft offered a stripped-down online experience, I would consider buying UMvC3 for the 360, but then I would need another fightstick as well.

Plus, outside of GAF, everyone I play with is on the PS3, and I generally like my PS3 more than the 360 (even though I owned a 360 before a PS3), and I think it has a much more interesting selection of games on it. I haven't had a reason to plug my 360 in for a long time (I hate WRPGs and FPSes).

smurfx

get some go again
just saw norcal vs capcom stream. chris/captain america/hawkeye getting my attention. chris being able to shoot two guns in the air is very interesting to me.

Gears is the one series that makes me wish I had a 360. Used to play on my old roommate's system to play with some other friends, and shit was a blast.

Dahbomb

I want to see those percentages and I want to see some substantial drops for some characters. That 180%+ damage stuff needs to get the fuck out of here unless you are The Hulk or some poor slow moving bastard.
If I had to throw out a rough estimate...

It's something like XFLVL1 - 125%, XFLVL2 - 150%, XFLVL3 - 175%.

It could also be XFLVL1 - 120%, XFLVL2 - 140%, XFLVL3 - 160%

Just checked Sentinel's XFLVL3 it's also 15 Marvel seconds.

Edit: Captain America Hyper Charging Star punish into Hard knockdown -> DHC into Vergil DT -> OTG Rising Hightime -> Air X factor -> Character kill

I got hyped x 100 watching that shit. There is legit technology between Captain America and Vergil. Also Shield Slash L + Rapid Slash assist -> Relaunch.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Oh hey, the last event match was released this week. Might as well knock that one off the list.

Am I enough of a consumer whore to pay for the Shadow Battle titles? We'll find out by November, I guess.

Azure J

Karsticles said:
I have all three of this generation's major consoles. I just think paying for XBL is ridiculous, and I have no intention of doing so in the near future. If Microsoft offered a stripped-down online experience, I would consider buying UMvC3 for the 360, but then I would need another fightstick as well.

Plus, outside of GAF, everyone I play with is on the PS3, and I generally like my PS3 more than the 360 (even though I owned a 360 before a PS3), and I think it has a much more interesting selection of games on it. I haven't had a reason to plug my 360 in for a long time (I hate WRPGs and FPSes).

Is it weird that while I totally agree and (for my personal taste) I find a lot more in getting a PS3 over a 360, I'm getting a 360 for Ultimate? Something about having the ability to play the best version of Ultimate and a few other games (Bayonetta & Sonic Generations primarily) is pulling me in that direction now.

Kimosabae

Banned
JeTmAn81 said:

This game is trash online no matter which version you play.

I seriously do not understand how people do it.

Kimosabae said:
This game is trash online no matter which version you play.

I seriously do not understand how people do it.
The jump in quality since I switched my ISP has been immense. Still sucked in a way that I've never quite seen when it launched though.

Makes me extremely wary of buying UMvC3 day one.
DryEyeRelief said:
no alternative
Sure there are... just play other fighting games!

JeTmAn81

SolarPowered said:
The jump in quality since I switched my ISP has been immense. Still sucked in a way that I've never quite seen when it launched though.

Makes me extremely wary of buying UMvC3 day one.

Sure there are... just play other fighting games!

Yeah, my wireless router really sucks so my games are pretty laggy right now, but when it was better there wasn't too much lag. I'm planning on getting things wired up anyway, I just need to figure out how to run a cable through the wall from upstairs.

Also, I've played other fighting games and tried to get into Street Fighter IV but they're just not really for me. Marvel is the only game that's ever really grabbed me, at least since the days of Street Fighter II.

kirblar

Dahbomb said:

It really does make sense to vary the XF times, especially Level 3, because some characters can simply get in and kill WAY faster than others.

Dahbomb

No one brought this up during the tournament?

Seth confirmed lowered damage on Taskmaster's hypers and on his combos in general.

Dahbomb

Kimosabae said:
Can Devil Trigger Dante build meter from Exchange?
In vanilla or in UMVC3? He still gets a meter in vanilla don't know about UMVC3 haven't seen it happen.

I checked Spencer's LVL3XF time it is also 15 Marvel seconds but it felt closer to 14 seconds?

It appears to me that XF timings don't really change THAT much among characters probably a few seconds in differential.

Rynge

Neo Member
Dahbomb said:
No one brought this up during the tournament?

Seth confirmed lowered damage on Taskmaster's hypers and on his combos in general.

wasn't there a story how people thought taskmaster's throw into super was nerfed but if you mash the super it still does tons of damage?

i'm sure he did get lowered a bit though.

Top Bottom