• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Arthur is always going to be ass until his hard knockdown is removed from Gold armor de-power up. Imagine him going up against Doom in UMVC3.... lol gold armor deactivates and Doom tri-dashes in and does a full combo on him. WHY IS SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN THE GAME?
Doubtlessly one of the worst things in a character in this game.

JeTmAn81

SolarPowered said:
That is damn shame. Personally, I've probably got at two franchises that are on the level of Mahvel for me. Capcom has never been as big of an influence because I'm a huge fan of crazy ass design and aesthetics.

Capcom has always felt bland to me with all the fireballs, footsies and the lack of air block on games like SFIV. I like having control and the faster games give me that in spades.

For me, the appeal is really half the characters and half the fighting system. Before Marvel 3, I'd never played a tag-team based fighting game, and the design choices are fascinating to me. I've always thought it would be a cool idea if the effectiveness of the player degrades as you take damage, and suffering character knockouts implements that idea in a very satisfying way without going the Bushido Blade route.

Of course, if I wasn't such a big comic book and video game fan to begin with, that system alone might not draw me in, but the game also happens to feature some of the most beloved comics characters in the world in addition to some of the most well-known video game characters (I love Capcom's stuff).

So yeah, it really took both of those things to draw me in, characters and system design, and no other game really has both of those. Otherwise I'd be obsessed with Smash Bros. and Virtua Fighter, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I've spent some time in the past on Virtua Fighter 2 and 4, Soul Calibur I and II and a few others. But I think this is the first game I've gone in depth on enough to actually learn even the most basic combos. I couldn't even consistently pull off a Dragon Punch before February 2011.

JeTmAn81

Karsticles said:
Doubtlessly one of the worst things in a character in this game.

It seems like there is always a tug-of-war between good game design and staying true to the character with this game, but sometimes they just make the wrong choice. It's not worth staying true to the character if it keeps them from being effective in the game. Otherwise, why have them in the game at all? Arthur should've been relegated to end-game cutscenes instead of being implemented like this.

It would even be fine if they let his armor break, but Arthur could refresh it any time for a bar.

Then again, has anyone even bothered to test that in Ultimate? Hahaha.

Arthur + meter assist go!

biosnake20 said:

233702congrats.gif

That shit was beautiful.

kirblar

AzureJericho said:
OK, so in that WNF archive, JChen said something that made me really really think about running Felicia as a primary complimenting character after I get enough time in the lab with everything. Third Strike Makoto in terms of command grab shenanigans? Hells yes.

I really can't believe I slept on her as much when I think I was the one chuckling it up with Sixfortyfive a while back on how she is gdlk. I just didn't see how deep the rabbit hole went with her. o_O
There was simply no point in exploring other rushdown options when you could just pick Vanilla Wolverine.

Dahbomb

Felicia is pretty good but she has link based combos that make her an above average execution character. She is sort of like Wolverine with a command throw. In UMVC3 she is fairly buffed thanks to Air Delta kick and the ground bounce. With Wolverine nerfed in UMVC3 it opens up avenues for other pure rushdown characters like X-23, Jill and Felicia.

Felicia has a really long ranged command throw and an excellent air throw game. I don't know about comparing her to Makoto, she is a really hard hitting character but the general idea of command throws and resets is there.

I played around with Felicia when the game first came. Her unblockable set up with her assist are juicy and Kitty Helper is annoying as hell. But one thing that always got me killed with her was that some of her normals don't have the priority of the top tiers. I don't know what buttons I can use against someone like Zero, Dante or even Wesker/Wolverine. I am afraid that problem will carry over in UMVC3 but who knows... I was never really good with Felicia to begin with so I can't say.

I got rocked against a Felicia + Haggar player here in my brief visit to the States. I am still sore from that experience. Haggar hard knockdown into full combo for Felicia...

Dahbomb said:
Felicia is pretty good but she has link based combos that make her an above average execution character. She is sort of like Wolverine with a command throw. In UMVC3 she is fairly buffed thanks to Air Delta kick and the ground bounce. With Wolverine nerfed in UMVC3 it opens up avenues for other pure rushdown characters like X-23, Jill and Felicia.

Felicia has a really long ranged command throw and an excellent air throw game. I don't know about comparing her to Makoto, she is a really hard hitting character but the general idea of command throws and resets is there.

I played around with Felicia when the game first came. Her unblockable set up with her assist are juicy and Kitty Helper is annoying as hell. But one thing that always got me killed with her was that some of her normals don't have the priority of the top tiers. I don't know what buttons I can use against someone like Zero, Dante or even Wesker/Wolverine. I am afraid that problem will carry over in UMVC3 but who knows... I was never really good with Felicia to begin with so I can't say.

I got rocked against a Felicia + Haggar player here in my brief visit to the States. I am still sore from that experience. Haggar hard knockdown into full combo for Felicia...

You're not from America? mind blown.

Neki

JeTmAn81 said:
Actually it is, if you want to still use it and stay safe against smart players. Day 1 Hulk is free to those who can block.
noah's top 64 finish at evo begs to differ.

Dahbomb

St.H is about trading with it. You have to make a read on the opponent when he presses a button and you match it with your. Seriously the whole point of playing "tank" characters in MVC3 is learning the art of trading with super armor moves. It's what Mike Ross has learned to do well in his MVC3 career.

Technically speaking tank type characters with super armor SHOULD have good match ups against pure rushdown characters. Rushdown characters should have good match up against zoning and zoning should have good match up against tank characters. The problem appears when some characters can do both rushdown and zoning. Wolverine might be top tier but he still can be free to Haggar lariat and super armor.

Nyoro SF

Ultimoo said:
noah's top 64 finish at evo begs to differ.

Surely you watched the replays of people rashly attacking Noah. No one was really blocking carefully like they should've because the top tier of the game are do-and-forget offense type characters.

I think in Ultimate, where people can FINALLY control the pace of a match (even if it's just briefly) will actually make the Hulk even weaker since the pace of a match isn't so frenetic and you are less likely to just slip into Hulk's armored moves through the flow of play.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
kirblar said:
There was simply no point in exploring other rushdown options when you could just pick Vanilla Wolverine.
Felicia plays more like Wesker than Wolverine, but the point is still valid.

Frantic

I hate after waiting six hours for a player match, I get some jackass who beats me once, taunts, then immediately leaves. :/

Six hours for a player match? I can barely do a full magic series on the PS3 before I get one.

By the way Solar, are you up for some matches tonight?

Edit: Is Devastation done with Marvel for the night?

Frantic

Six hours is an exaggeration, but it feels like that when I want a just want a game right then. Plus, most of the times that I'm on, there seems to be very little activity in player matches. Right about now is when activity seems to boom, and I'm not always on at this time. :p

Although if I set the rank limit to any, it increases my chances of getting a game quite a bit... but usually I end up facing off against not so good players and if I'm trying to mess around with team strategies and new characters, I prefer to go up against decent players to see how much I suck at said character/strategy. :p

Also, yes, I do believe Marvel is over for the day.

Edit: So I was running Ryu/Chun-Li/Wesker for kicks in a Player Match, and the guy I was facing managed to beat me three times, all the time taunting after each character died and at the end of the matches. Since taunters annoy the hell out of me, I brought out the main team. The first match he brought down my Spencer, where I promptly put him in what I like to call the 'meat grinder' of Dante mixups and resets. The second match he got my Spencer in an Exchange combo, got three bars, and knocked me down to the ground with Zero. He ended up trying to THC with Zero/Magneto/Ryu, but he was too slow and I rolled out of the corner where I promptly shoved a Bionic Arm up his ass. Merry Christmas to me. The third match ended up with me getting more or less a perfect(a single hit of chip from a disruptor) on him, only for him to immediately leave afterwards. Feels good, man.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just finished watching WNF..

Motherfucking Richard Nyugen. Dat Dante... DAT FUCKING DANTE. It's impossible to drop combos, he can pick them right up again.

So much technology I was unaware of these, my fucking god. Half of it Richard Nyugen's Dante alone.

Also I believe in Mike Ross.

I watched the WNF archive footage and Justin Wong is actually a pretty good commentator. I loved the bits discussing Magneto's ridiculous shit and I was loling at his apology for speeding up the inevitable rise of the BFF team.

Still had a pretty shitty internet day though...
Karsticles said:
By the way Solar, are you up for some matches tonight?

Edit: Is Devastation done with Marvel for the night?
Karsticles said:
Mr. Solar Powered, you are wanted for battle!...
Two requests in one night? That is definitely unusual.

I stopped checking the Mahvel thread earlier today because it was so slow. Also, I was watching WNF.
enzo_gt said:
Just finished watching WNF..

Motherfucking Richard Nyugen. Dat Dante... DAT FUCKING DANTE. It's impossible to drop combos, he can pick them right up again.

So much technology I was unaware of these, my fucking god. Half of it Richard Nyugen's Dante alone.

Also I believe in Mike Ross.
I don't know how the east coast team will do without ChrisG, but I'd say the odds are against them even with him there.

Mike Ross has definitely improved too.

Dahbomb

Mike Ross has taken super armor trading in MVC3 to a whole new level. Dive kick with Akuma and he does cr.M Sentinel on reaction to that. With the added armor on his favorite two moves in UMVC3 (cr.M sentinel and st.H Hulk) Mike Ross got a definite buff in UMVC3. He should just take out Storm and put Nemesis in to complete team "OMFG ARMOR EVERYWHERE!"

What kind of nerfs did She-Hulk get for Ultimate again? Did they kill her mobility at all? Combo makes me want to replace Iron Man with her. He makes her look so fucking fun to play.
Slide nerf, removed TAC glitch and probably nerf to her j.H hit stun although most characters in the game have had their j.H tweaked to some degree. She Hulk is mostly the same in UMVC3 she basically got a new move and the slide nerf with some general tweaking here and there.

All this time... I've never picked the top tier that often in training mode since I was constantly messing around with my team. I decided to try Wesker and Wolverine since I had already spent a bit of time in the lab with Viper.

Goddamn they are EASY AS FUCK to play with. Wesker teleports after a gunshot just by pressing a button and I can combo in it after a wallbounce like nothing. His hitboxes are crazy and comboing into his pistol in XF3 will kill most non Tron characters like it is a joke. Also a standard bread and butter sans Hyper does 510k... which Morrigan struggles to break after using a meter and no fly cancels(which are way harder than anything I tested with Wesker). His level three does 50k more than Morrigan despite the fact that he already hits like a mack track for his character archetype and that health is insane.

Wolverine is so derp that it blows my mind. Gong is absolute shit in MvC3, but one of the top five moves in the game is a simple QCB motion with Wolverine. I'm also amazed at how shitty Astral vision is compared to Wolvie's utility hyper in terms of startup and recovery. Dude does a standard 660k bread and butter that is easy as pie and XF makes 1 million damage easily attainable without an assist. This guy has the easy 430k level three while Morrigan and Ammy have lower damage on theirs and I fuckin' wish that Ammy had as much health as Wolvie.

I had no idea I was playing such shitty character until now. I had no idea.

@_@
Karsticles said:
Says the Amaterasu player...

I was playing until 3AM. :-(
I'd say that playing me is a waste of your time since I suck on the PS3.

I'll indulge you next time if I catch your requests on time.

Still, Dante pisses me off more than Wesker and Wolverine. At least Dormammu has a change of rushing those two down. Dante just presses a button (any button) and anti-airs me, and I can't zone him. -_- Most irritating character in the game by far.

I'd say that playing me is a waste of your time since I suck on the PS3.

I'll indulge you next time if I catch your requests on time.
Well, not much point if you won't be in your prime, yah?

Anth0ny

SolarPowered said:
All this time... I've never picked the top tier that often in training mode since I was constantly messing around with my team. I decided to try Wesker and Wolverine since I had already spent a bit of time in the lab with Viper.

Goddamn they are EASY AS FUCK to play with. Wesker teleports after a gunshot just by pressing a button and I can combo in it after a wallbounce like nothing. His hitboxes are crazy and comboing into his pistol in XF3 will kill most non Tron characters like it is a joke. Also a standard bread and butter sans Hyper does 510k... which Morrigan struggles to break after using a meter and no fly cancels(which are way harder than anything I tested with Wesker). His level three does 50k more than Morrigan despite the fact that he already hits like a mack track for his character archetype and that health is insane.

Wolverine is so derp that it blows my mind. Gong is absolute shit in MvC3, but one of the top five moves in the game is a simple QCB motion with Wolverine. I'm also amazed at how shitty Astral vision is compared to Wolvie's utility hyper in terms of startup and recovery. Dude does a standard 660k bread and butter that is easy as pie and XF makes 1 million damage easily attainable without an assist. This guy has the easy 430k level three while Morrigan and Ammy have lower damage on theirs and I fuckin' wish that Ammy had as much health as Wolvie.

@_@

Wait

So all this time, you didn't even mess around with the top tier characters in training mode?

GOOD GOD MAN

Dahbomb

@_@
My mind is full of fuck that you are just realizing this.

Also Morrigan uses her LVL3 in the air so she has that utility over Wesker's.

And it's not like Ammy is shitty compared to the top tiers. Her buttons are good, her combos are easy and her range is insane. She has good match ups against these characters.

Ammy's LVL3 is ass to be honest and Wolverine's LVL3 is just average, same for Wesker aside from the higher damage. LVL3's like Iron Avenger hits full screen just about and you can combo after it.

Kimosabae

Banned
Bomb, weren't people complaining in the Ultimate thread about how her slide nerf was going to kill her ability to get in and ruin the character completely? Seems a bit exaggerated, but I'll miss those loops.

First time I played Wesker I felt like I activated some sort of God Mode. Well, not at first - it took me a bit to understand that all I needed to do sever damage were repetitions of MMHS/LMHS (None of the characters on my team utilize the magic series that much). Once I got that into my brain, and starting working in the resets, I felt like I was controlling this runaway train. That's when I started messing around with more characters and it reminded me how much less stressful this game can be to play.

I'm so stubborn, because a lot of the supposed "easy mode" higher tier characters like Wesker and Wolverine can be a ton of fun, and execution-heavy in their own rights, if you're willing to innovate with them, but I'm always drawn to the challenge of execution characters out-of-the-box like Ironman, Dante, Mags etc.

Grecco said:

I just don't get how people can diss Noel's abilities in this game with a straight face (not saying you are). It's so scrubby. Sure, his team is relatively easy mode, but not only has he proven, consistently, to be one of the best players at this game through his placings but if you watch him play, it's obvious he understands this game better than most people. Probably due to his Wong training. That Wolverine Divekick reset setup in the startup of the first match was disgusting.

Also Morrigan uses her LVL3 in the air so she has that utility over Wesker's.
It's barely utility; you're not going to throw a level 3 out there at random with Morrigan very often, since it's rather low damage and only follows up into Shadow Servant. 4 bars for 600K damage anyone? lol

Wesker can get more damage by doing c.LMH, qcf.L, dash, df.H, c.MH, qcf.M, dash, dp.H, j.S, c.MH into level 3 than Morrigan can doing her full, most complex combos into hers.

Ammy's LVL3 is ass to be honest and Wolverine's LVL3 is just average, same for Wesker aside from the higher damage. LVL3's like Iron Avenger hits full screen just about and you can combo after it.
Yeah, Ammy's level 3 is pretty terrible, but she has two amazing level 1 hypers, so that's not such a bad tradeoff. If you have a really good level 3, it's probably because your level 1s aren't so great, or your name is Magneto.

First time I played Wesker I felt like I activated some sort of God Mode. Well, not at first - it took me a bit to understand that all I needed to do sever damage were repetitions of MMHS/LMHS (None of the characters on my team utilize the magic series that much). Once I got that into my brain, and starting working in the resets, I felt like I was controlling this runaway train. That's when I started messing around with more characters and it reminded me how much less stressful this game can be to play.
When I decided to get 30 matches with each character for their title, I was amazed at how effective I could be with Wolverine and X-23 just by doing basic stuff, things that Dormammu isn't even capable of. I had a lot of fun annihilating friends that day...

Frantic

Kimosabae said:
I'm so stubborn, because a lot of the supposed "easy mode" higher tier characters like Wesker and Wolverine can be a ton of fun, and execution-heavy in their own rights, if you're willing to innovate with them, but I'm always drawn to the challenge of execution characters out-of-the-box like Ironman, Dante, Mags etc.
I'm sort of similar to this, except for me it's more the fun-factor than it being a 'challenge'. I mean, I find pretty much the entire cast fun to play, but the ones I get the most fun out of playing are execution heavy and technical characters in nature. If only I didn't suck with nearly all of them. :/

Kimosabae said:
I just don't get how people can diss Noel's abilities in this game with a straight face (not saying you are). It's so scrubby. Sure, his team is relatively easy mode, but not only has he proven, consistently, to be one of the best players at this game through his placings but if you watch him play, it's obvious he understands this game better than most people. Probably due to his Wong training. That Wolverine Divekick reset setup in the startup of the first match was disgusting.
People on forums just don't like Noel and refuse to admit that he is a damn good player. It's not even like picking Wolverine or Wesker is an instant win for anyone. He is a legitimately good player.

Grecco

Kimosabae said:
Bomb, weren't people complaining in the Ultimate thread about how her slide nerf was going to kill her ability to get in and ruin the character completely? Seems a bit exaggerated, but I'll miss those loops.

Who is dismissing his abilities? Hes a top 8 evo player. Hes legitimately a great player, and his team is well constructed. I dont see how anybody can dismiss him right now. Hes a top 5 player in the East Coast (He is insane for not picking Chris G in the 5v5 but thats another can of worms)

People hate Noel Brown because no one likes a tier whore that copies other people's team concepts. It's the exact same reason people love ComboFiend.

Nyoro SF

Just goes to show you should try every character when you get a game.

I noticed immediately when playing Viewtiful Joe, Hsien-ko and Morrigan that their damage levels were quite unfairly low (not to mention their combo execution requirements were much higher) compared to other characters.

I can only hope that in Ultimate something like this was addressed, because if these three characters didn't get damage boosts then they're just going to fall further behind.

Dahbomb

Kimosabae said:
3 things happened that caused the outcry:

*Most characters around her tier were getting buffed a lot (Dorm, Trish, Zero, Doom etc). People were afraid she was going to drop a tier because of this effect.

*The game is shifted to a more zoning friendly style of play. Not saying that zoning is going to dominate but it's going to make zoning teams more common. She Hulk is generally weak against zoning and has to work to get in. Her slide is one of her best tools to get in.

*Around the time the slide nerf was discovered She Hulk had a documented air dash. That was taken out in subsequent builds and people cried about it because they felt that the nerfed slide was a decent trade off for getting an air dash.

I don't think it's THAT bad, She Hulk is still a strong character. Certainly she will not dominate tournaments like she did at the start of MVC3's career but is more than being tournament viable.

Frantic said:
wut

I think I might have to revisit the team of Joe/Dante now.

Also, the only true mid-screen combo I've seen. Or my preferred title of 'lol hitboxes'.
Dante speaking japanese? :eek:

Karsticles said:
People hate Noel Brown because no one likes a tier whore that copies other people's team concepts. It's the exact same reason people love ComboFiend.
Is it really worth calling him a tier whore when so many other players are using Phoenix?

Karsticles said:
I hate Noel Brown because he's a bitch that hits injured people.

Karsticles said:
Well, not much point if you won't be in your prime, yah?
You seemed to enjoy our previous fights for some reason so you can still challenge if you want.

I wanted to get a digital pvr so that I could put my matches against XBL gaf on youtube for all to see, but then UMvC3 shit all over my team. I really wanted that PVR and you would have been amazed at the difference when I play on a 360 pad. It is like night and day difference haha.
Anth0ny said:
Wait

So all this time, you didn't even mess around with the top tier characters in training mode?

GOOD GOD MAN
I knew that they were powerful and easy, but I never picked them because they just piss me off and I know that I'm not going to learn anything that would make them easier to beat.

I just had no idea that they were that easy to play with. His teleports are a joke in terms of difficulty and it pisses me the fuck off that they somehow thought he should have XF bonuses for losing his glasses in Ultimate. Those two are just a clear example of lazy as fuck design.

wow
Dahbomb said:
My mind is full of fuck that you are just realizing this.
Yeah, I probably haven't picked them more than ten times(probably ran through arcade and mission mode).

The part that gets me is how they decide that Wolvie and Wesker should have more damage on their level 3 hypers. They are so easy to get and those two already do insane damage. I don't see why they should make Ammy and Morrigan's level 3 hypers worse on damage when they do less overall combo damage.

I'll honestly never understand the who, why, where, when and how regarding Hsien-Ko either. Just a terribly garbage character that doesn't even feel like she is a Mahvel character. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Dahbomb

The part that gets me is how they decide that Wolvie and Wesker should have more damage on their level 3 hypers. They are so easy to get and those two already do insane damage. I don't see why they should make Ammy and Morrigan's level 3 hypers worse on damage when they do less overall combo damage.

I'll honestly never understand the who, why, where, when and how regarding Hsien-Ko either. Just a terribly garbage character that doesn't even feel like she is a Mahvel character. I've never seen anything quite like it.
I don't know why Ammy has a low damaging LVL3 but Morrigan can use her's in the air which is a utility that is sort of unique to her. Wesker's LVL3 has poor range compared to other LVL3's and Wolverine's is just average. Nothing compared to Magneto full screen LVL3, Zero, Arthur, Iron Man and even Dante. Some of these guys can get combos AFTER their LVL3.

Hsien Ko was the last character to make it in and thus was probably rushed and least tested. And it's not like Capcom hasn't made crap characters before... Roll in MVC2 has an entire tier named for her. But there's no excuse for her current state in UMVC3.

I just had no idea that they were that easy to play with. His teleports are a joke in terms of difficulty and it pisses me the fuck off that they somehow thought he should have XF bonuses for losing his glasses in Ultimate. Those two are just a clear example of lazy as fuck design.

wow
Wesker's teleports are par for the course to be honest. If you are talking about gun shot into teleport that is very predictable and you can usually punish Wesker players who like to abuse it.

And from the looks of it, Wesker is toned down in UMVC3 overall but when he loses his glasses he gets damage/speed boost slightly to get to his MVC3 counterpart. Everyone playing said his teleports and guns were slower in UMVC3. And those bonuses aren't really that big of a deal if they lose on tag out and on meter usage.

I also don't want to burst your bubble but... everyone has been saying that Vergil is Strider + Dante + Wesker + Wolverine. If you look close enough you will see that Vergil has at least a move or two from each of these characters and a similar way of playing as if they were all combined into one. All he's missing is the Wesker command throw.

Is it really worth calling him a tier whore when so many other players are using Phoenix?
He's a self-admitted tier whore. I wouldn't call him so just because he uses top tiers. He has outright stated "I am a tier whore" on stream.

I hate Noel Brown because he's a bitch that hits injured people.
A man has a right to protect his possessions.

You seemed to enjoy our previous fights for some reason so you can still challenge if you want.
That was before you made excuses. :p

I really don't like playing people if I know they'll make excuses if they lose, even if those excuses are legitimate.

I wanted to get a digital pvr so that I could put my matches against XBL gaf on youtube for all to see, but then UMvC3 shit all over my team. I really wanted that PVR and you would have been amazed at the difference when I play on a 360 pad. It is like night and day difference haha.
Whatever happened to putting Dr. Strange in there for Hsien-ko? I still think they're a really boss duo.

Strange/Hsien-ko/Morrigan sounds pretty boss to me, with Morrigan on meter assist to get you to two bars ASAP so Hsien-ko can go gold.

Hsien Ko was the last character to make it in and thus was probably rushed and least tested. And it's not like Capcom hasn't made crap characters before... Roll in MVC2 has an entire tier named for her. But there's no excuse for her current state in UMVC3.
Her jump-cancels might prove to be pretty strong. I actually played a Hsien-ko player last night for 20 matches, and if I wasn't running, I was dying. Giving her something like Strange's homing rings seems perfect for her. Henkyo-ki, call rings behind the barrier, and then approach with Hsien-ko.

Top Bottom