• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Dahbomb

Her jump-cancels might prove to be pretty strong. I actually played a Hsien-ko player last night for 20 matches, and if I wasn't running, I was dying. Giving her something like Strange's homing rings seems perfect for her. Henkyo-ki, call rings behind the barrier, and then approach with Hsien-ko.
I don't really play Hsien Ko much at all aside from tinkering with her assist and mission mode stuff but even that was enough to turn me off from the character. There is a whole laundry list of stuff I would change about her before I would even think of playing as her. Jump cancel normals are good but how is she going to get in for that?

Here's what I would change on her:

*Senbu Pendulum swing needs to be cancellable at the very least. There needs to be ways for her to mix up from that while getting in. Basically the best thing you can do from that move is the "LLND" which is just let it get to the other side and drop with a normal.

*Changes on inputs. Discussed to death.

*Same as with VJ her bombs needs a hit box, it's just stupid. Also her entire item throwing mechanic needs to be reworked GREATLY. I hate randomness in my fighting games.

*Gold armor power up increased in timer as well as an increase in stamina like Arthur (although not to the same extent). I want to feel like a fucking tank in that shit.

*An easy to way to chain her teleport dash to move around the screen. Air dash needs to be like 10 times faster seriously.

*Her hypers are SUPER redundant. Like both her hypers hit OTG and are basically the same type of hyper (hard knockdown into hyper). One of those should be made into a LVL3 or a hyper she can use in the air.

*She desperately needs a move that brings her vertically down sort of like Arthur's new dive lance. She can probably use her weight from that hyper she does to bring her down really fast and cause a hard knockdown like Dante. I really feel that is an angle she is VERY bad at covering (someone directly below her).

*Gongs properties reworked. Need to stay out longer, travel further at a better speed and have a bigger hit box.

*An actual OTG move so she can make use of her command throw game and air throw game.

Even if all of these make it in... I would say it's a GOOD start at the most. She will probably move up to Mid tier with a top tier assist.

The single worst problem with Hsien Ko is that she doesn't fall into any category of characters or specialty. She can't rushdown, she can't zone and she is a very bad grappler type character despite having a command throw. She becomes a tank if she spends meter... yet has crap health. That's why it's hard to tell which aspect of her game should be buffed so she can have something she is good at.

Joke? The only reason Noel punched Smoothviper was because Noel couldn't handle a little shit talking. Seems like a bitch-move to me.
That's not what happened at all...SmoothViper kept touching his stuff. Noel told him several times to stop, and Viper kept antagonizing him, so Noel punched him. Completely deserved, and props to Noel for throwing the punch even though Viper was crippled. Being crippled doesn't give you a license of immunity when being a dick.

Frantic

Dahbomb said:
*She desperately needs a move that brings her vertically down sort of like Arthur's new dive lance. She can probably use her weight from that hyper she does to bring her down really fast and cause a hard knockdown like Dante. I really feel that is an angle she is VERY bad at covering (someone directly below her).
What they should do is take Doom's j.S and give it to Hsien-Ko except make it so she doesn't bounce back on hit and instead just lands. Also make her cr.H OTG and linkable into a launcher. Then Hsien-Ko can go j.S, cr.H, launch, j.S, cr.H, launch for Doom loops.

Karsticles said:
That's not what happened at all...SmoothViper kept touching his stuff. Noel told him several times to stop, and Viper kept antagonizing him, so Noel punched him. Completely deserved, and props to Noel for throwing the punch even though Viper was crippled. Being crippled doesn't give you a license of immunity when being a dick.
Noel told him only once to stop touching his stuff, and SV listened. Then when the shit talk happened, Noel socked him.

I'm not even going to start on the other reason people hate Noel "3/5" Brown.

my excuse when I lose to Karst is because he uses Phoenix!

ha!

take that!
But she's on point. :-/

I went 56-9 against a guy last night using my team. I was surprised he stuck around for so long, because most people get irritated fast and leave (or wait to beat me once, teabag, and then leave). He has an amazing Darkstalkers team, even incorporating Soul Fist cancels mid-combo. I wish I had the matches recorded so I could watch his Morrigan more and learn something.

Noel told him only once to stop touching his stuff, and SV listened. Then when the shit talk happened, Noel socked him.
Certainly, the version I heard was different from yours. Throwing a punch over shit talking sounds good to me too, though!

I definitely sympathize with that situation being tasteless, especially since I wanted to see Big Marcus' Skrull play go on, because I had never before seen that. However, just as with the Justin Wong debacle (complaining about his opponent), the problem is with the tournament host, and not with Noel Brown.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Professor Beef said:

Pretty much. He's not the worst guy when you hear him talk/commentate but shit like this on his record makes him really, really difficult to like such a person.

It's been a minute since that all happened and I could care less atm. Watching Noel play is boring as fuck at the end of the day, I don't know what it is. It's so textbook, and not even just cause he plays all top tiers, it's cause he rarely takes risks or goes outside of his maybe 2 incoming mixups. Sucks the fun out of spectating, especially when people like Chris G can still play really conservative but don't make the matches appear static in front of you.

Dahbomb said:
I also don't want to burst your bubble but... everyone has been saying that Vergil is Strider + Dante + Wesker + Wolverine. If you look close enough you will see that Vergil has at least a move or two from each of these characters and a similar way of playing as if they were all combined into one. All he's missing is the Wesker command throw.
Oh, I'm aware of that, but at least he has low health and needs meter to be really really effective.

Eh... nothing will be as bad as Wolvie and Phoenix in Vanilla MvC3.

Karsticles said:
That was before you made excuses. :p

I really don't like playing people if I know they'll make excuses if they lose, even if those excuses are legitimate.
I'll still fight you and I could learn some stuff because of it. I resigned myself to the fact that I will never consistently beat Ultimoo or Q on the PS3, but I still leveled up in a HUGE way after all the matches on PSN.

I seriously went from a shitty 9th lord to a solid 5th lord within three weeks or so and I just stopped playing ranked recently. There is some stuff to be gained from our matches imo.
Karsticles said:
Whatever happened to putting Dr. Strange in there for Hsien-ko? I still think they're a really boss duo.
Fuck that lol

They're a boss duo until Dr. Strange is dead and she is on her own. This is an inevitable situation in a game like Mahvel for flesh and blood organisms that make mistakes. If I make a mistake I want an anchor like Morrigan at least and someone potentially powerful like Nova instead.
Karsticles said:
Strange/Hsien-ko/Morrigan sounds pretty boss to me, with Morrigan on meter assist to get you to two bars ASAP so Hsien-ko can go gold.
I wouldn't drop Ammy. She is still my favorite character and I might be able to make her work despite the nerfs.
Karsticles said:
Her jump-cancels might prove to be pretty strong. I actually played a Hsien-ko player last night for 20 matches, and if I wasn't running, I was dying. Giving her something like Strange's homing rings seems perfect for her. Henkyo-ki, call rings behind the barrier, and then approach with Hsien-ko.
Jump cancels don't mean a thing as long as she can't get in. They are a solid buff for her in terms of damage though.
Dahbomb said:
Even if all of these make it in... I would say it's a GOOD start at the most. She will probably move up to Mid tier with a top tier assist.
I'd say that is a high tier character right there, but there are two more things missing that Darkstalkers should have.

Pursuit-Every Darkstalker except for Felicia should have a pursuit move that does about 50k. The great thing about pursuit is not it's damage, but the fact that it let's someone jump from once side of the stage to the other if you time it right. It would give a huge mobility buff to Morrigan and her because timing it right means you'd land right next to your opponent(without hitting them which means pressure is consistent) no matter where you are in the stage after a hard knockdown.

ES Moves- I have no idea why they don't have their ES moves that cost 1/3rd of a bar. ES gongs could have some invul frames, multi hit, insane durability and some sweet lockdown potential for great corner pressure and an ES Soul Fist in astral vision would be durable as hell which would be pretty scary for fireball pressure. Making them cost meter would be much much muuuuuuch better than stupid shit like Hammer that was completely free to use.

Dahbomb said:
The single worst problem with Hsien Ko is that she doesn't fall into any category of characters or specialty. She can't rushdown, she can't zone and she is a very bad grappler type character despite having a command throw. She becomes a tank if she spends meter... yet has crap health. That's why it's hard to tell which aspect of her game should be buffed so she can have something she is good at.
She is more of a space control/rush character like Dormammu. Throwing out gongs with quick startup/recovery coupled with solid anti air and dangerous items with decent durability should be the name of her game. Tenra-Ha should be fast and Chireitou should hit higher and fast enough that it can be used in the middle of jump cancel combos.

meh
Karsticles said:
Dude was trolling Noel way too much, but it looks like Noel just got pissed because he was saying stuff he didn't like. I could understand it if Viper was touching his stuff though.
Frantic said:
What they should do is take Doom's j.S and give it to Hsien-Ko except make it so she doesn't bounce back on hit and instead just lands. Also make her cr.H OTG and linkable into a launcher. Then Hsien-Ko can go j.S, cr.H, launch, j.S, cr.H, launch for Doom loops.
That sounds like a one way ticket to Nerfsville lol. If they implement something like that I want it to be in the final iteration so that it won't get changed drastically until the next numbered game.

Niche characters that don't fit a certain archetype(Ammy for example) don't keep their strength as long as stereotypical cool badasses.

Fiiiiight meeeee

Frantic

Karsticles said:
I went 56-9 against a guy last night using my team. I was surprised he stuck around for so long, because most people get irritated fast and leave (or wait to beat me once, teabag, and then leave). He has an amazing Darkstalkers team, even incorporating Soul Fist cancels mid-combo. I wish I had the matches recorded so I could watch his Morrigan more and learn something.
For me, if I'm going up against someone where I feel like I'm getting better throughout the matches or learning stuff I didn't know before, I'll stick through for as long as the other person will. Like I've said before, I've been bodied 55-4 by a MODOK/Wesker/Sentinel player, and although it was frustrating, I stuck through it because it was increasing my ability to block, my patience on the offense, sniffing out setups, and the general matchup against a good MODOK. Some people actually want to get better, instead of just getting one win, taunt/teabag, then immediately leave thinking they're the best. :p

What I get most salty about is going up against someone who basically just mashes buttons at every opportunity they can, and their buttons somehow beat out mine ninety percent of the time. Mashers blow me up since I never expect it. It's only worse when these mashers tend to be the ones that taunt/teabag. Salt levels rise a lot... laggy players who use characters with high priority moves are close second on the Salt Tier List, though.

SolarPowered said:
Fiiiiight meeeee
You on? I'll get on, then. :p

I'll still fight you and I could learn some stuff because of it. I resigned myself to the fact that I will never consistently beat Ultimoo or Q on the PS3, but I still leveled up in a HUGE way after all the matches on PSN.

I seriously went from a shitty 9th lord to a solid 5th lord within three weeks or so and I just stopped playing ranked recently. There is some stuff to be gained from our matches imo.
Cool, we'll find a time then (tonight sometime?).

Fuck that lol

They're a boss duo until Dr. Strange is dead and she is on her own. This is an inevitable situation in a game like Mahvel for flesh and blood organisms that make mistakes. If I make a mistake I want an anchor like Morrigan at least and someone potentially powerful like Nova instead.
Strange/Hsien-ko/Morrigan it is!

I wouldn't drop Ammy. She is still my favorite character and I might be able to make her work despite the nerfs.
Strange/Hsien-ko/Amaterasu it is!

Jump cancels don't mean a thing as long as she can't get in. They are a solid buff for her in terms of damage though.
The guy I played last night actually did her Henkyo-ki link combo mid-screen. My jaw dropped.

For me, if I'm going up against someone where I feel like I'm getting better throughout the matches or learning stuff I didn't know before, I'll stick through for as long as the other person will. Like I've said before, I've been bodied 55-4 by a MODOK/Wesker/Sentinel player, and although it was frustrating, I stuck through it because it was increasing my ability to block, my patience on the offense, sniffing out setups, and the general matchup against a good MODOK. Some people actually want to get better, instead of just getting one win, taunt/teabag, then immediately leave thinking they're the best. :p
I do too, but people usually don't like losing to Phoenix on point - it infuriates them like nothing else I have experienced...

Azure J

I just realized that SolarPowered is on to something interesting. How did most of the other themed series characters get some gameplay mechanic from their home series but the Darkstalkers got no love there? Pursuits could be cool, but would need a little tweaking to be truly Mahvel, but ES is a no-brainer when we have the EX'ing fool that is Viper. At the very least, Morrigan fireball wars would be even more hilarious between meter suck and xbox huge fireball threats in her move set.

Dahbomb said:
I don't really play Hsien Ko much at all aside from tinkering with her assist and mission mode stuff but even that was enough to turn me off from the character. There is a whole laundry list of stuff I would change about her before I would even think of playing as her. Jump cancel normals are good but how is she going to get in for that?

Here's what I would change on her:

*Senbu Pendulum swing needs to be cancellable at the very least. There needs to be ways for her to mix up from that while getting in. Basically the best thing you can do from that move is the "LLND" which is just let it get to the other side and drop with a normal.

*Changes on inputs. Discussed to death.

*Same as with VJ her bombs needs a hit box, it's just stupid. Also her entire item throwing mechanic needs to be reworked GREATLY. I hate randomness in my fighting games.

*Gold armor power up increased in timer as well as an increase in stamina like Arthur (although not to the same extent). I want to feel like a fucking tank in that shit.

*An easy to way to chain her teleport dash to move around the screen. Air dash needs to be like 10 times faster seriously.

*Her hypers are SUPER redundant. Like both her hypers hit OTG and are basically the same type of hyper (hard knockdown into hyper). One of those should be made into a LVL3 or a hyper she can use in the air.

*Gongs properties reworked. Need to stay out longer, travel further at a better speed and have a bigger hit box.

*An actual OTG move so she can make use of her command throw game and air throw game.

I like all of this and really she wouldn't need much more to be above decent really. Just make her decent after an air dash have momentum/carry like it did in Vampire Hunter/Saviour with that aforementioned dash speed boost( seriously, the difference between VS Hsien & MvC3 Hsien here is the difference between Melee C. Falcon and Brawl C. Falcon, bitch just needs some forward momentum :lol), make the fixed bombs and her c.H OTG and buff her overall damage and I bet she'd be Spencer tier (awesome because of great non-braindead or on the cusp of broken tools).

It's funny that I want this character to be good but know it probably won't happen. It's like I saw how awesome Captain America got with one or two good looks and a new tool, realized Hsien-Ko is in the exact same position and now realize that it's up to Capcom to do us right... But what are the odds of that happening? :lol

Edit: Phoenix on point is good shit, I still wish I coulda done something with it sooner myself, but eh, I'm a scrub with no money for games like that. :p

Also late, but that Dante midscreen combo makes me fully understand an old post by Sixfortyfive completely, even if I think son is stylish as fucking fuck. :lol

smurfx

get some go again
damn i'm falling behind my pursuit of cosmic lord on ranked. haven't played in days and i probably won't be playing for a while either.

Karsticles said:
Strange/Hsien-ko/Morrigan it is!

Strange/Hsien-ko/Amaterasu it is!
How about no one?
AzureJericho said:
It's funny that I want this character to be good but know it probably won't happen. It's like I saw how awesome Captain America got with one or two good looks and a new tool, realized Hsien-Ko is in the exact same position and now realize that it's up to Capcom to do us right... But what are the odds of that happening? :lol
Any time they are useful Capcom is squeezing them for money and they spend the rest of their time fondling DMC balls.

How about you play me now if you're done on XBL? :-O

Edit: It boggles my mind that someone would follow a game so closely and not actually purchase it!

Frantic

SolarPowered said:
I just played 46 of the most retarded and high level games of my entire life.

I think I've had enough for one night.
Spencer is top tier. I don't care what anyone says. Spencer is literally in the top ten best characters of MvC3.

Also, good games, and thanks for the compliment(I think?). XD

I waited all evening for you. :-(

Spencer is top tier. I don't care what anyone says. Spencer is literally in the top ten best characters of MvC3.
No doubt. The only reason we don't see more of him is because he doesn't have a fucking trench coat and an all black color scheme. As much as I love ComboFiend, few things irritate me more than when someone says they can't believe he does so well with a team of mid tier characters. -_-

I do love that Shadow Servant beats Bionic Arm. Spencer players think they can just go through everything!

Frantic

Karsticles said:
No doubt. The only reason we don't see more of him is because he doesn't have a fucking trench coat and an all black color scheme. As much as I love ComboFiend, few things irritate me more than when someone says they can't believe he does so well with a team of mid tier characters. -_-
lol, I'm with you there. Combofiend has one top tier, and two high tier. Don't know how anyone can think they're mid tier. :/

Karsticles said:
I do love that Shadow Servant beats Bionic Arm. Spencer players think they can just go through everything!
Nearly half the cast has a Level 1 that can beat Bionic Lancer, and most characters that don't have a level 1 have a level 3 that beats it. I try to use the Arm liberally, since it really isn't as invincible as one would think.

lol, I'm with you there. Combofiend has one top tier, and two high tier. Don't know how anyone can think they're mid tier. :/
I would put She-Hulk as top too, personally.

Nearly half the cast has a Level 1 that can beat Bionic Lancer, and most characters that don't have a level 1 have a level 3 that beats it. I try to use the Arm liberally, since it really isn't as invincible as one would think.
Beat Bionic Lancer, both of you on the ground, within mid-screen or closer range? I know Bionic Lancer loses to a lot of stuff far away, but I can't think of half the cast having a response on the ground in response to Lancer via level 1 hypers.

Frantic

Karsticles said:
I would put She-Hulk as top too, personally.
Eh, maybe. She's really good, but I have a hard time putting her in top tier. Top of High Tier, but not really top tier... I don't play her, though, so I'm not the best judge of her status. :p

Karsticles said:
Beat Bionic Lancer, both of you on the ground, within mid-screen or closer range? I know Bionic Lancer loses to a lot of stuff far away, but I can't think of half the cast having a response on the ground in response to Lancer via level 1 hypers.
Let's see... Wesker, Taskmaster, Spencer, Chun-Li, Ryu, Akuma, Viper, MODOK, Jill, Hulk, Spider-Man, Phoenix, X-23, Joe, Morrigan, Captain America and I think Thor can all beat Bionic Lancer up close from what I remember. A few of them might not be able to right up close, but I'm thinking they can.

Top tier is reserved for derps, herps, broken shit and rage inducing crap.

Taskmaster comes closer than the other two seeing as Spencer and She Hulk have none of those things/
Karsticles said:
I waited all evening for you. :-(
When you put it like that...

maybe some other time when I'm not all wired.

Fake edit: Fine, we'll play a first to fifteen if you want.
smurfx said:
hey solar you a yankee fan?
I don't watch sports, but I've seen a couple of games in the past haha. Never been to one though.

Why do you ask?
Frantic said:
Also, good games, and thanks for the compliment(I think?). XD
Yeah, good games. I was just annoyed by the fact that Hsien-Ko has no answer to anything that your characters can do.

It drove me up a wall because earlier on when we were fighting I was called by someone to do something and I had to leave the game for a second(you probably remember killing Ammy and seeing Hsien-Ko motionless there). I lost my concentration afterwards and got my ass kicked for a long ass time until I started to get my concentration back. The whole thing was terrible when you had that long ass win streak, but it ended alright I guess.

smurfx

get some go again
SolarPowered said:
I don't watch sports, but I've seen a couple of games in the past haha. Never been to one though.

Why do you ask?
oh i was going to mercilessly make fun of you if you were a fan. i just found out the yankees were booted out of the playoffs a few days ago. that was also when i found out the mlb playoffs were happening. -_- god damn i'm out of it. one of my favorite things is watching the yankees get booted out of the playoffs. part of that fun is making fun of yankee fans.

Frantic

SolarPowered said:
It drove me up a wall because earlier on when we were fighting I was called by someone to do something and I had to leave the game for a second(you probably remember killing Ammy and seeing Hsien-Ko motionless there). I lost my concentration afterwards and got my ass kicked for a long ass time until I started to get my concentration back. The whole thing was terrible when you had that long ass win streak, but it ended alright I guess.
I did notice you start playing better after a while. More runaway, which was getting pretty annoying since unless I'm using Dante, I can't really do much when Ammy hangs around at the top of the screen with Spencer or Trish. :p

Also, Ammy's j.H in sword stance is the most annoying thing in the world to deal with for me, lol.

Azure J

Karsticles said:
Edit: It boggles my mind that someone would follow a game so closely and not actually purchase it!

If this is aimed at me, I'm a hardcore game enthusiast whose been conditioned to this for most of my life. I would only get one console (Nintendo) a generation and be happy cuz I didn't have the greatest fortunes growing up even though I always had other things on other systems that I wanted to play. Nowadays though, I am going back through 20+ years of backlogged games I've always wanted to try and having the most fun in video gaming ever.

For this game though, I made it a priority to jump on asap, and looks like come November, I'll be riding in on the Ultimate train. :D

When you put it like that...

maybe some other time when I'm not all wired.

Fake edit: Fine, we'll play a first to fifteen if you want.
I won't force it. If you're up for some games, I turned my PS3 on.

Eh, maybe. She's really good, but I have a hard time putting her in top tier. Top of High Tier, but not really top tier... I don't play her, though, so I'm not the best judge of her status. :p
Tournament results > all.

Top tier is reserved for derps, herps, broken shit and rage inducing crap.

Taskmaster comes closer than the other two seeing as Spencer and She Hulk have none of those things/
She-Hulk's slide and "j.H solves all problems" approach method is so herp derp to me. -_-

smurfx

get some go again
SolarKnight said:
360 MahvelGAF, I need you to assist me :(

I really need some matchup experience vs Dante. Last time I fought a decent Dante, well...you can see what happened yourself.
if there is a problem character you shouldn't be afraid of using x factor. in the first match you should of x factored after using chaotic flame and then chaotic flamed him again to kill him off. 2nd match you should of x factored when you were hitting him with ammy to kill him off. just keep playing man and you will create your own anti dante strategies. i've played him so damn much i can almost always tell when he is going to teleport and just jump to the other side to avoid any mix ups.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
smurfx said:
damn i'm falling behind my pursuit of cosmic lord on ranked. haven't played in days and i probably won't be playing for a while either.
hurry up so you can help the less fortunate skilled GAFers like me to get the achievement >:)

Haha, a friend told me that already when he first saw the video. In the first match I was just too busy panicking and thinking "oh shit oh shit oh shit gotta get Dorm out of there" to think of burning XF to kill Dante, no excuse for the second though. I choked badly there, it's not like burning XF or lv3 to kill a problem character is a foreign concept to me, hell, I overkilled a Super Skrull the week before that with both XD

just keep playing man and you will create your own anti dante strategies.

That's what I want you guys to assist me with XD (the playing part I mean)

GGs Solar. It drives me nuts that some characters are thin enough to not get hit by Purification H when full-screen. I wonder if that's something they changed in Ultimate, now that I think about it...

hurry up so you can help the less fortunate skilled GAFers like me to get the achievement >:)
I think you just need to fight a 1st lord to get the achievement.

Haha, a friend told me that already when he first saw the video. In the first match I was just too busy panicking and thinking "oh shit oh shit oh shit gotta get Dorm out of there" to think of burning XF to kill Dante, no excuse for the second though. I choked badly there, it's not like burning XF or lv3 to kill a problem character is a foreign concept to me, hell, I overkilled a Super Skrull the week before that with both XD
My team is constructed in such a way that as long as I can kill the problem characters, it's an auto-win if I don't screw anything up. So, I tend to burn X-Factor to guarantee those kills, and then I just have to go through the motions. I always burn whatever I need to to kill teleporters - they're such jerks to Dormammu. :-(

SolarKnight said:

That's what I want you guys to assist me with XD (the playing part I mean)
Ammy is probably one of handful that can fight him on an even playing field. Pull out glaive stance and go to work. Make use of her vine and keep yourself in constant motion. Abuse the shit out of Okami shuffle if you've got the meter too. Always keep in mind that she has a good ground dash and the fastest jab in the game. Also, slow mode does wonders against the bastard.

Oh, and you've got to practice your blocks, dog. I just got eaten alive by Karsticles on PSN, but on the 360 my blocks are pretty good. Dante falls to pieces against Ammy if you know when to use XF, how to block and when to punish his retarded normals(something she can do better than most characters).

SolarPowered said:
Oh, and you've got to practice your blocks, dog.

And that's why I need to play any of you guys that can use Dante. Can't exactly learn how to block something unless I see it repeatedly, right? "Practicing" only once a week is not enough, much less when I'm not even guaranteed to fight one.

SolarPowered said:
Pull out glaive stance and go to work.

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind. I guess I should approach with reflector and when I get close enough or after a knock down I should switch to glaive. Btw, how safe is glaive's qcf+A? I always use it to finish blockstrings and then inmediately keep up the pressure with a jab, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or just a bad habit...

Frantic

Zero is probably one of Dante's more annoying match ups. Jump H beats out pretty much any of Dante's anti-air attempts, and even with a push block it sets Zero in a decent position so long as you don't push any buttons. Teleporting forward while calling out Ammy's Cold Star is a really good mix up, and locks them down long enough to go for more mixups.

SolarPowered said:
Abuse the shit out of Okami shuffle if you've got the meter too.
Actually, don't make this a habit. Against a good Dante, they will punish you for throwing out random Okami Shuffles. He can just teleport right behind Ammy and punish with a j.S.

SolarKnight said:
Hmm, I'll keep that in mind. I guess I should approach with reflector and when I get close enough or after a knock down I should switch to glaive. Btw, how safe is glaive's qcf+A? I always use it to finish blockstrings and then inmediately keep up the pressure with a jab, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or just a bad habit...
Nah, approach with the Glaive. Reflector has pretty crap range and will get anti-air punished by Dante's standing light/medium. Dante's normals might be long, but they usually don't beat out the glaive approach, especially with an assist. Stay in the air, keep the pressure on, call out Dormammu's Dark Hole to lock him down, and go for high/low when you can.

Glaive's QCF + L is -1 on block. Combined with Ammy's 3 frame jab, there really aren't many characters that will beat that out - let alone Dante's 8 frame jab. Hell, up close, Dante can't really press any buttons because Ammy can get nearly three of them off before Dante gets his out. Staying right in Dante's face is the best way to fight him, because he's not very good at the up close.

I main Dante, and I like to consider myself decent with him. I'd be willing to play you - but not today. All capped out on my Marvel fill for the day. Whenever we get around to playing, I'll bring out my Dante/Doom/Akuma team on you, just to maximize Dante's tricks. :p

Frantic

SolarKnight said:
Haha. it‘s not like I can play right now either considering it‘s 1AM. Thanks for the offer. Btw, you messed up the last quote.
lol, I usually copy/paste the quote tags and just change the name after the fact, but I guess I forgot. I'm pretty burned out right now, haha.

I'm so popular today!
Frantic said:
Actually, don't make this a habit. Against a good Dante, they will punish you for throwing out random Okami Shuffles. He can just teleport right behind Ammy and punish with a j.S.
You punished it once in the 46 matches we played haha.

Edit: Did you just become a member, Frantic?

He did just become a member!

And the Okami Shuffle is pretty dangerous. I tend to just eat the chip because, really, do I want to risk Phoenix or Dormammu to an execution error / netcode lag? If I'm feeling confident and the connection is good, though, I'll punish every single Okami Shuffle into a full combo.

Frantic

SolarPowered said:
You punished it once in the 46 matches we played haha.

Edit: Did you just become a member, Frantic?
I said against a good Dante. :p

Honestly though, I don't have a lot of experience against Ammy, so I wasn't confident enough to try to punish it every time. I tried a few other times, but I either screwed up the double-tap and just got a raw launcher, or I got hit before I could even press S. After that, I usually just ate the chip to play it safe. :p

And yes, I am now a member! Gee, I actually managed to get through my junior days without anyone going 'lol, junior' on me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If anyone ever does say "lol, junior" at you, that just means they've been mentally defeated in whatever argument you were in, or they're just assholes. Gratz on member status. You will now find that people begin replying to your posts more exponentially.

Neki

enzo_gt said:
If anyone ever does say "lol, junior" at you, that just means they've been mentally defeated in whatever argument you were in, or they're just assholes. Gratz on member status. You will now find that people begin replying to your posts more exponentially.
lol tagged by blackace

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
AzureJericho said:
I just realized that SolarPowered is on to something interesting. How did most of the other themed series characters get some gameplay mechanic from their home series but the Darkstalkers got no love there?
They all got their Dark Force hypers.

Karsticles said:
Pretty much everything on this list that has more than 7 frames of start-up invulnerability will beat Bionic Lancer on reaction at point blank. Heck, I think a heavy Shoryuken will beat it.

Dahbomb

All of Combofiend's characters are High tiered characters and of course are tournament winning characters. They aren't top tier, that's reserved for the really insane top characters who make up the 5 best ones in the game. None of Combofiend's characters are as good as the top 5 although if you stretch the top 5 to include top 10 then it's quite possible.

I don't think I have seen people call anyone of Combofiend's characters "mid tier" as of late. If they have then don't know MVC3. I am not going to take away from the level of skill of Combofiend nor the potential factor of Spencer... but a lot of people lose to Combofiend's Spencer due to the lack of match up experience. It's literally like if you want to play a competitive Spencer then you need to play against Combofiend.

In other news I just learned that both Jago and Chrisis qualified for Top 8 at Devastation. Always believed these 2 guys had potential and Chrisis is using the REAL team best friends forever (Viper + Dante). Jago of course has labeled his team "synergy" and I sort of agree.

Frantic

enzo_gt said:
lol, thanks.

Dahbomb said:
All of Combofiend's characters are High tiered characters and of course are tournament winning characters. They aren't top tier, that's reserved for the really insane top characters who make up the 5 best ones in the game. None of Combofiend's characters are as good as the top 5 although if you stretch the top 5 to include top 10 then it's quite possible.
Spencer is top 10, which I consider all 'top tier'. Maybe Spence isn't stupid tier, but he's definitely top tier. I'd probably peg him at eight or nine.

Dahbomb said:
I don't think I have seen people call anyone of Combofiend's characters "mid tier" as of late. If they have then don't know MVC3. I am not going to take away from the level of skill of Combofiend nor the potential factor of Spencer... but a lot of people lose to Combofiend's Spencer due to the lack of match up experience. It's literally like if you want to play a competitive Spencer then you need to play against Combofiend.
Most of the time I've heard it is from random commentators on streams. Like someone was calling that Jill/Spencer/MODOK team a low tier team. I just resigned to shaking my head.

Also, as a fellow Spencer player, some of the things Combofiend gets away with makes me a little salty. No one EVER airthrows/airloops Combofiend during a zipline, even though Spencer is 100% open for pretty much anything when he's ziplining. People tend to give Spencer way too much respect, which I guess comes with the lack of match up experience.

Spencer is definitely top 10, but he is high tier. Everything past the top five or so is high tier. The top five is reserved for teh stupid.

Don't feel bad, Frantic. Being high tier in this game means your character wasn't designed in a stupid as fuck fashion.
Sixfortyfive said:
They all got their Dark Force hypers.
In the form of hypers which makes them unique, but hardly ground breaking. ES moves are unique and pursuit moves are a staple of the series that I hardly see anywhere else.

Frantic

SolarPowered said:
Don't feel bad, Frantic. Being high tier in this game means your character wasn't designed in a stupid as fuck fashion.
Hey, I use Dante. I got me some stupid tier going on. :p

But really, I wouldn't consider everything past the 'top stupid five' just high tier. Spencer has pretty decent matchups against the top five, the only one that really gives him trouble is Magneto.

Then again, I've never considered Wesker top five, so my opinion could be invalid by default.

Ploid 3.0

Hey can you play against a friend in Player Match (for rematch option after KO) if you pick a obscure language in filter (like French) and get paired up on PS3?

Friend says it supposedly don't work but I think a gaffer did it last night in MVC3 Gafchat (PSN).

Top Bottom