• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Leetirl

Neo Member
Pretty hyped for Nova, at first glance he seems like maybe he'll play a bit like Storm (he seemed kind of floaty and has what looks like the equivalent of her lightning attack special). Looks like fun either way.

Phoenix is going to (initially) go on my troll team.

Starphoenix said:
Apparently the Days of Future Past stage is legit.

1-1.png

lol Megaman
Dude, I fucking called Megaman as soon as Seth said there was a days of future past stage. It doesn't say "deceased" though.

So, since this is basically the new OT currently, people told me to post about the radio show i was doing today at 2pm. You can stream it at wnyo.org. Will be talking UMvC3 and playing lots of Marvel and Capcom-related music this week.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gunstarheroes said:
So, since this is basically the new OT currently, people told me to post about the radio show i was doing today at 2pm. You can stream it at wnyo.org. Will be talking UMvC3 and playing lots of Marvel and Capcom-related music this week.
This is the Mahvel OT :p

Dahbomb

Nova is extremely solid, he will be used day 1 especially if he has good assists.

Phoenix... yeah the jury is out on that but he looks fun.

Tobe

Dahbomb said:
Nova is extremely solid, he will be used day 1 especially if he has good assists.

Phoenix... yeah the jury is out on that but he looks fun.
besides the funky normals there is no way of judging range of the normals by looking at the trailers, maybe he is modok tier, good but hard to use? any ways im gonna try phoenix wright/ironfist/phoenix

Dahbomb

I am saying no one knows whether Phoenix is S tier or F tier or somewhere in the middle. He is by far the most gimmicky character I have seen in a Mahvel game (yes even more than Servbot and MODOK... although MODOK is rock solid compared to Wright).

Neki

Dahbomb said:
I am saying no one knows whether Phoenix is S tier or F tier or somewhere in the middle. He is by far the most gimmicky character I have seen in a Mahvel game (yes even more than Servbot and MODOK... although MODOK is rock solid compared to Wright).
vergil is big gimmicks, what are you talking about.

all those teleports and swords.

smurfx

get some go again
i'll be honest i'm not hyped for wright and nova. i saw nothing about them that makes me want to play them. now give me my rocket raccoon reveal and i'll get hyped.

Rocket Raccoon has been, and still is, my most hype character besides Firebrand. Nova was pretty "meh" for me, and Phoenix Wright just looks like he's going to be hilarious to beat up on with all the noobs using him and trying to figure out whether they got the right evidence or not, hahaha.

Dahbomb

Phoenix Wright just looks like he's going to be hilarious to beat up on with all the noobs using him and trying to figure out whether they got the right evidence or not, hahaha.
HAHAHAHA you and me both!

One thing I really hate about Wright is that a bunch of his mechanics are luck based. Random dice roll on j.H causing stun, random dice roll on what evidence he gets. The only other character with a dice roll mechanic (luck based) is Hsien Ko.

Dahbomb

I don't know why but it looks to me like Wright and Ghost Rider might be BFFs.

Ghost Rider can use Phoenix's Low Hitting Dog missile for FULL SCREEN UNBLOCKABLE SET UPS.

And of course Wright can use Ghost Rider's S TIER Heartless Spire assist for get off me purposes as well as anti-air.

And of course Hidden Missile helps them both. Doom is best friends with just about EVERYONE in the game now.

Zissou

Dahbomb said:
I don't know why but it looks to me like Wright and Ghost Rider might be BFFs.

Ghost Rider can use Phoenix's Low Hitting Dog missile for FULL SCREEN UNBLOCKABLE SET UPS.

And of course Wright can use Ghost Rider's S TIER Heartless Spire assist for get off me purposes as well as anti-air.

Do we know that the dog hits low?

smurfx

get some go again
good luck to phoenix wright users trying to find evidence with teleporting characters like virgil and strider. -_-

Grecco

smurfx said:
good luck to phoenix wright users trying to find evidence with teleporting characters like virgil and strider. -_-

NerdJosh, Floe, and Justin already mentioned they want to try him out. :) Cant wait till Wright wins Evo 2k12

Dahbomb

Just saw all of the Seth stream and the new Max video. Just going to list some points for each characters.

NOVA

*Unlike previously assumed, Nova DOES in fact have an 8 way air dash and it's decent speed. Has a flight mode too and it allows him to do flight cancel type combos. His dashes are normal cancellable so you can bet your BALL SACK he will have some baller air combos. Seth says his tri-dash is like Iron Man and I got sad when he said that. :( But seeing Seth perform that tri-dash into swoop up makes me think that Iron Man has something similar to that as well. Probably needs some lab time on that.

*His assists are Gravimetric Pulse, Nova Strike and Centurion Rush. Centurion Rush is actually his cross up dive kick that should be fairly useful in certain situations. Gravimetric Pulse as an assist is weird to me, without red health I don't know if it would be useful or not because it's just a short plasma attack. Nova Strike is his standard lunge attack and I BELIEVE it's his wall bounce version as an assist. I will take the Stagger version too just not the Light version.

*Aside from the Centurion Rush dive kick he also has 2 other Centurion arts. One is the OTG Slide like She Hulk that hits low as confirmed by Seth. The other one is the Captain America Charging Star that has projectile invulnerability at the very least and can be cancelled into launcher for a combo. Dive kick isn't an overhead... currently.

*Nova has 3 types of Nova Strikes (the one where he goes straight forward Human Rocket Punch). One version just hits the opponent into a roll, 2nd version causes a Wall bounce and 3rd version causes a Stagger. He has different starts up on these moves. One of these is available as an assist not sure which one.

*Nova has 3 types of Gravimetric Pulses. One is a straight forward plasma out of fists and the 2nd one is the anti-air version of the same. The 3rd version is his most interesting one as it creates a barrier (AEGIS REFLECTOR UP IN THIS BITCH) that appears to have some utility. These moves get powered up when he has more red health to sacrifice so there is bound to be some juice to them. No idea what the vanilla Gravimetric Pulses do.

*Energy Javelin is launched with S + Att and has 3 different variations to it that determines the angle. Has decent tracking ability and works like a single shot Hidden Missile. Good for defensive and offensive purpose, a great all around tool.

*Nova's j.S is like Vergil's j.S which is an angled down DIVE FIST. Nova can combo off of that but since it's multi-hitting it scales up the combo some. Causes hard knockdown after hit. Slam fist hits OTG as shown in the video and hits overhead.

*Fast ground dash, fast air dash, fast flight cancel, good normals in speed and range, excellent slide attacks, invulnerable special moves and an invulnerable hyper move, great throw game, good overall damage, decent health and decent mix up options. J.H crosses up like a champ and his j.H OS game should be quite good.

*Invulnerable hyper on start up which is his Cannon hyper and has to be controlled 3 times I believe. Gravimetric Blaster gets powered up with red health and apparently the other one does too (Inferno one). All of his LVL1 hypers are doable in the air. These can reach up to LVL3 damage with enough red health and there are 3 levels of power ups to him losing health. As mentioned before, these power ups apply to his Gravimetric Pulses as well.

PHOENIX WRIGHT

Alright I finally understand him more now.

*So he has 3 stance: Investigation, Courtroom and Turnabout just like the leak said. Investigation is your vanilla gather evidence stance and use Maya to buy you time. Once you get the evidence pieces you can use them in Courtroom mode for some really insane projectiles that spray all across the screen and each evidence is tied to a different button (both acquiring, discarding and using them are on the A, B, C slots). Each stance has it's own hyper, Investigation has that Maya hyper, Courtroom has the Gavel hyper OTG and Turnabout has the LVL3. Turnabout stance is his "god" stance and he has to actually hit someone with Objection to get it off but once he does he gains insane normals in range, damage and speed plus a LVL3 that basically guarantees death. LVL3 is NOT unblockable I haven't heard any mention of this in the stream but it hits everywhere like Gravity Squeeze and OTG. Turnabout stance ends when he uses his LVL3 or when it drains out then he has to start all over again.

*Some of the junk evidences do have uses like Meat giving him health.

*Can combo off of throw in the corner.

*Get Em Missile hits Low apparently and acts like a projectile. Is available as an assist.

*Random j.H has random property to stun. Lame.

*Power ups/stance etc persist on tag out. More durability on projectile, speed and damage.

*A lot of his normals have insane recovery and should be cancelled into something else. Poor range as well.

*Can gather evidence pretty fast and if he gets what he needs he is set but if he doesn't he has to throw stuff out and pick again which takes time. Lots of luck factor involved here. The Maya moves have insane cooldown so if he doesn't have that available he is pretty much FREE to rushdown.

*Since you have to combo into his 3rd stance, keepaway tactics should be effective against Wright as obviously he has NO way to rushdown. He will probably have to sit there and play projectile wars although that might not be too bad for him as he has very good projectiles in Courtroom stance. His 3rd stance does persist on tag out.

*Has a banana slip over head attack. While it can cancel into his launcher, Seth was having trouble hitting with it which tells that the sneeze launcher has a crap hit box too.

*Slow dash, single OTG capability (has to have an assist to relaunch), below average damage, crap normals (both in range and recovery), 0 mobility, mediocre throw game and average health. Of course most of this stuff changes in his Turnabout stance.

*I think one of his assists is the "Haters gonna hate" move and the other is the paper spray.

*Pretty much requires that you use him on point with a lockdown assist like Eye of Agomotto, Hidden Missiles, Cold Stars etc.

Have to wait for Frank West's reveal to see if team Average guy is ready and going. However, i feel Haggar and Wright are gonna be great together. And by that, i mean no one crush my dreams in here. I know you can all shoot holes through the team quicker than Dark Phoenix. (That hurt to type. I regret everything).

I just discovered the XCM cross battle adapter for 360 to PS3 gameplay and I thought I had found my solution to the problem on the PS3. I almost made a premature post before I started reading about the problems with fighters and now I'm back in my disappointed state. Markman needs to come through with the MLG pro circuit controller already. I want to see people's impressions and I WANT TO PLAY MAHVEL ON THE PS3 THE WAY I DO ON THE 360!

;_;
Dahbomb said:
Also I laughed out loud at Seth "Who gives a crap about Chun Li having an OTG or not" Killian.

Forever alone Chun Li.
Haven't seen his character demo and I don't even want to see it now. Hearing that would leave me in a shitty mood for sure.

Dahbomb

That's not exactly what he said but he pretty much implied that.

Someone in the stream chat asked if Chun Li has an OTG or not. Seth replies "Chun Li? This isn't about that... *goes back to explaining new characters". I guess he implied that he isn't answering questions about old characters and just focusing on the new characters.

And Nova trolling Chun Li with his multiple OTG moves. LULZ...

Frantic

SolarPowered said:
Haven't seen his character demo and I don't even want to see it now. Hearing that would leave me in a shitty mood for sure.
Well, he basically just said "we're not here to talk about Chun-Li, we're here to talk about Nova and Phoenix Wright" since he was asking the stream if they had any questions about those two. He was already behind on schedule at that point, so you can take it as you will.

Either way, I don't really think an OTG would help her when I think about it. The only reason it's helped Captain America is because he does good damage already, allowing him to reach a much higher damage threshold than before. If Chun-Li had an OTG, she'd still have the same problem she already had - low damage. Personally, I hope they've buffed her damage like they have some of the other low-damage character.

Dahbomb

Chun Li's damage output apparently has been upped in UMVC3 like Joe, Storm and Morrigan.

Chun Li needs an OTG so bad it hurts. With Captain America most of his BnB bring down the opponent from SJ height to ground where he can finish with his ground hyper. Once Chun Li launches an opponent... she can't hit them with a hyper without using an assist. She has NO air throw game either. And she really can't do much after her Rushing Kicks hyper which launches them up as well.

Yes there are Chun Li combos involving her forward air dash which she sort of loops together and gets in decent damage before launching... but they are hard as hell to do.

Frantic

Dahbomb said:
Chun Li needs an OTG so bad it hurts. With Captain America most of his BnB bring down the opponent from SJ height to ground where he can finish with his ground hyper. Once Chun Li launches an opponent... she can't hit them with a hyper without using an assist. She has NO air throw game either. And she really can't do much after her Rushing Kicks hyper which launches them up as well.
I agree with you on most of this, but what I'm saying is that unless they changed her damage, she wouldn't be any more viable if she had an OTG or not. She'd be getting something like 500-550k off her BnBs, which she can get with using her kicks hyper mid-combo anyways.

I do agree that she does need some way to OTG, though. Especially if they actually are buffing her overall damage. But as we all know, Capcom is the bringer of disappointment and hype, so it's no real surprise that she doesn't have one.

Kimosabae

Banned
Why is Double Jumping such a rare commodity in this series?

Iron Man didn't NEED his double jump, but it's definitely another aspect of him that was taken for granted in Vanilla that made him probably the most overlooked point character in the game, next to Jill. Badly spaced projectiles get OWNED by j.H hitconfirms.

Why Capcom couldn't just let this character breath instead of pigeon-holing him into some stupid archetype is beyond me.

Dahbomb

Badly placed projectiles get owned better by a simple tri-jump M/H or you know... teleports and dive kicks. Double jump is decent to have on an 8 way air dash/flight character but not a necessity (unlike for a ground based character like Captain America or Chun Li... that's one of their primary tools for hanging in mid air). Iron Man was the only flight character to have a double jump as well IIRC .

Capcom DID let this character breath and Seth has come up on streams a couple time saying that Iron Man is slept on but after 8 months people are still with Iron Man where they were from day 1. He isn't going to magically rise up as long as Doom and Magneto are above him. It's also why Jill is underused because Wolverine, X-23 and Felicia are above or around where she is.

At least be glad that Iron Man got SOME buffs... Jill didn't get any because Capcom thought she was being slept on and unexplored.

Why Capcom couldn't just let this character breath instead of pigeon-holing him into some stupid archetype is beyond me.
But he was and always has been part of an archetype. Now him and Nova are in this weird archetype of "swooping tri-dash" characters where Nova is more rushdown and Iron Man is more zoning type.

Kimosabae

Banned
People sucked with Iron Man because they were scared to play him on point. Everyone except Flash played him primarily as an Assist. People were slowly catching up though. First time Flash played my Iron Man he laughed his ass off at me, because it was a carbon copy of his (at the time. I even played him using my Dante/Iron Man/ Tron team). Alucard was doing some nice things with Iron Man and there was one other I saw at a WNF stream that seemed to know what he was doing with him, even though he kept getting bodied.

*shrug*

8 months is nothing, really. There's just so many better, easier to play characters, Iron Man just needed more time. I don't think he'd ever be popular - but people on the West Coast still think the character is legitimately BAD which is retarded.

Iron Man already fit into the zoning archetype just fine. He was probably the most open and versatile character in the game. I truly believe Iron Man has no real weaknesses, and honestly, as much as I hate to admit it, Vanilla Iron Man would probably be broken in Ultimate in relation to all the other character changes.

Badly placed projectiles get owned better by a simple tri-jump M/H or you know...

They both punish just the same. The difference is that a TriDash is more of a commitment. If I jump over a projectile and land j.H, I can use the hitconfirm if it lands and jump back if they block (for starters). Not to mention the hitconfirm string itself is a triple overhead.

Dahbomb

Kimosabae said:
8 months is nothing, really. There's just so many better, easier to play characters, Iron Man just needed more time. I don't think he'd ever be popular - but people on the West Coast still think the character is legitimately BAD which is retarded.
Yeah WC thinks Iron Man is really bad all thanks to JChen and UltraDavid underrating him all the time (no offense to the two). Their exposure of Iron Man comes mostly from watching Viscant play and he's a bad Iron Man player to be honest... self-admitted in fact.

The problem with playing Iron Man on point is that his assist is too good to miss out... at least it is for me. It's the only thing on him that is "top tier" material. Plus Iron Man doesn't really benefit too much from assists... not the same as someone like Wesker/Wolverine who go from great to godlike.

Iron Man already fit into the zoning archetype just fine. He was probably the most open and versatile character in the game. I truly believe Iron Man has no real weaknesses, and honestly, as much as I hate to admit it, Vanilla Iron Man would probably be broken in Ultimate in relation to all the other character changes.
Iron Man has mediocre zoning though. It's not terrible but it's not that great either. He has no answer to slide like moves that go underneath his beam, his Smart Bombs aren't that great, Unibeam is the 2nd to 3rd slowest beam in the game and Repulsor Blast/Spread leaves more to be desired. Most of this is rectified in UMVC3 it's actually hard to get in on Iron Man because he can do cr.H into Beam or Repulsor all of which are faster and cover the angles of approaches. If he gets a hit confirm from Repulsor now, he can get a hard knockdown and go into Smart Bomb x Proton Cannon or probably st.LMHS link.

Iron Man's weaknesses are that he is high execution in combos, has legitimately wonky/problematic hit boxes, difficult hit confirms, difficulty in following up air throws/ground throws, other characters can do what he can better and not many moves/specials that leave him +ve on block. Some of these can be rectified by superior play but overall nothing he has is godlike. You compare them to the top tiers and you are left wondering why Iron Man has such short comings when he has no big pay off where as other characters have very little such short comings and massive pay off. Viper has a much bigger pay off than Iron Man for the execution and same for Dante, Magneto and Zero.

No way would vanilla Iron Man be "broken" in UMVC3 in relation to other characters. How is he going to be better than Doom, Dormammu, Viper, Zero, Wesker, Phoenix? Not to mention some of the newer characters like Vergil, Hawkeye, Strider, Firebrand... Vanilla Iron Man in UMVC3 would be exactly where he was in MVC3... somewhere at the bottom of High tier.

As far as the most open/versatile character in the game... eh he lacks a lot of effective tools to be versatile and none of his options are godlike. Someone like Magneto or Trish can both rushdown better than him and zone better than him. Hell I would argue that Doom is more versatile than Iron Man. And this is just me comparing Iron Man within his own archetype.

Kimosabae said:
They both punish just the same. The difference is that a TriDash is more of a commitment. If I jump over a projectile and land j.H, I can use the hitconfirm if it lands and jump back if they block (for starters). Not to mention the hitconfirm string itself is a triple overhead.
They punish the same but the others are just way easier. A dive kick gets you in with +ve frames for example and with something like Magneto tri-jump (vanilla) you can go quick overhead or empty tri-jump low really fast for a mix up if they recovered fast enough. A teleport gets you in and gets you a mix up. Anyone who knows how to play against Iron Man knows that they can just block him high when he is at range so most of his double over head and triple overhead stuff isn't as effective. Plus of course chicken blocking.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rynge said:
i coulda sworn i heard Seth say the inferno super for Nova doesn't use red health. i could be wrong though.
Yeah I think we have mixed reports on that. I thought it was Seth who said it did, and then we saw that it didn't in the videos. He mentioned that Inferno and the beam utilize red health, and Maximum Nova is the only one that doesn't.

Degen

Started playing seriously again after a few months of downtime.

Five fights and only one ragequitter so far; must need practice.

Riposte

Twisted Jago/Andre is so fucking funny. Btw, we need an official Cross Counter/Runnin' Sets/Excellent/Marvelous Adventures thread.

smurfx

get some go again
is comic con still happening? will rocket raccoon get revealed? wtf the game is out in less than a month and we still don't know all the characters.

Dahbomb

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/297474933

SB MVC3 Pool matches + EC vs WC 5 v 5 + Jago vs Viscant Exhibition FT7 MM

4 parts and all worth the time. You will get hyped... guaranteed. Even though these are mostly just pools matches there is A LOT of craz shit that went down.

Not going to spoil anything.

P.S. I want to learn the "dark dimension" tech for a possible team devil may cry. For those that watched the FT7 they know what I am talking about.

P.S. I want to learn the "dark dimension" tech for a possible team devil may cry. For those that watched the FT7 they know what I am talking about.
What ARE you talking about? I don't feel like watching their FT7.

Dahbomb

Karsticles said:
What ARE you talking about? I don't feel like watching their FT7.
Oh it's pretty good, I think it's 38 minute mark on Part 2.

As far as "dark dimension", it's basically what Yipes has termed Jago's Peakaboo set ups and mix ups. It's a little known fact that Peakaboo essentially "absorbs" or makes normals whiff and even makes Haggar's lariat whiff (sometimes it combo breaks even). Plus of course it sets up one of the most insane and ambiguous mix ups/resets in the game with a teleport character (Wesker/Dante) It's like Marvel's version of the Akuma vortex. There are a ton of tricky stuff that Jago has when he puts someone in the corner with the trap out.

Hit a button -> Get tagged by Trap

Block -> Get grabbed

Tech Throw -> Don't block Trap/Hit a button -> Get tagged by Trap

Tech Throw -> Block trap and Wesker's air loop -> Get command thrown as you drop to the ground

Block forward -> Teleport mix up in the corner -> Get tagged by point character Wesker/Dante

Block back -> Get tagged by Trap

Somehow you managed to avoid all that you still manage to get hit by the 50/50 ambiguous Wesker or Dante teleport set ups.

Top Bottom