• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Chavelo

McNum said:
That's me in a nutshell, too. Couldn't pull off a Shoryuken consistently until Street Fighter 4, only to learn that the game was going easy on me with shortcuts and that MvC3 was going to show me just how wrong I was. Took several hours in training mode with Zero just repeatedly inputting F, D, DF, Atk over and over and over until I could get 10 in a row. Then I switched sides and started over. It does help that my other "main", is Felicia, and she needs her DP motions badly, so I did learn a little from the kitty. Reverse dragon punch still messes with my head, though. I've avoided airdashers, until I got to play Morrigan, where you don't really have a choice. I like Morrigan, but I'm not sure if I got anything to work with her apart from shenanigans.

Frankly, if I pull off the Buktooth loop, it'll be the first "good" thing I've learned in a fighting game. Not just decent, but actually good. I've looked at Magneto and Storm, and just dismissed them out of hand as way too difficult for me. (I know the irony of picking Felicia after that, never said I played a GOOD Felicia.) I fear Dr. Strange might be a little out of reach for me, too, but I'm going to try him out anyway. I'm fairly sure I can pull off Phoenix Wright, though, and if I can't do Strange, I'll find someone else with a lockdown assist. Or try to see if Morrigan and/or Felicia are good there.

Dude, when you pull your first ever Buktooth combo off, it's the greatest feeling. So flashy and rewarding.

Pulled it off a couple of times the next day at a local game store, and the store owner and his friends were just staring with their mouths open.

Just keep at it. Put some chill (or energetic music, I went with some Dethklok/early Metallica) and practice the shit out of it. Try to change from character to character to not get bored. You'll get it in no time. :D

Also, fuck SF4 and the input shortcuts. It screwed me big time, too. :-/

Dahbomb

God damn Doom's easy mode corner relaunches. How is that shit not fixed in UMVC3? No remaining character in UMVC3 can do that solo.

Buktooth loop is awesome though... that should remain forever.

Chavelo

Dahbomb said:
God damn Doom's easy mode corner relaunches. How is that shit not fixed in UMVC3? No remaining character in UMVC3 can do that solo.

Because Victor ordered Capcom to do it... OR ELSE!

dr-doom.jpg

McNum

Chavelo said:
Dude, when you pull your first ever Buktooth combo, it's the greatest feeling. So flashy and rewarding.

Pulled it off a couple of times the next day at a local game store, and the store owner and his friends were just staring with their mouths open.

Just keep at it. Put some chill (or energetic music, I went with some Dethklok/early Metallica) and practice the shit out of it. Try to change from character to character to not get bored. You'll get it in no time. :D

Also, fuck SF4 and the input shortcuts. It screwed me big time, too. :-/
I prefer the actual game sounds, actually. It helps with timing. I'm one of those that get annoyed at combo videos with added music. I want the original sounds, so I can hear the rhythm, if that make sense.

Yeah, I loved the SF4 shortcuts because it let me Dragon Punch with ease... until I learned that I hadn't actually learned to Dragon Punch at all. That was a bit of an eye-opener when I did my usual "First game must be Ryu through Arcade mode" run of MVC3. So many Hadokens that should have been Shoryukens. Now, I'm a little annoyed at the SF4 shortcuts.

I'll make a printout of the Buk loop, put on headphones and listen to the game when I start practicing this.

If I need to break it up, I can practice some air-cancels with Morrigan. I'm betting Strange will need those, too. Or just go beat up Galactus for sport. No sense in learning Felicia's BnB at this point, since they're going to change in a month. That, and of course, Doom's corner relaunch.

JeTmAn81

McNum said:
I prefer the actual game sounds, actually. It helps with timing. I'm one of those that get annoyed at combo videos with added music. I want the original sounds, so I can hear the rhythm, if that make sense.

Yeah, I loved the SF4 shortcuts because it let me Dragon Punch with ease... until I learned that I hadn't actually learned to Dragon Punch at all. That was a bit of an eye-opener when I did my usual "First game must be Ryu through Arcade mode" run of MVC3. So many Hadokens that should have been Shoryukens. Now, I'm a little annoyed at the SF4 shortcuts.

I'll make a printout of the Buk loop, put on headphones and listen to the game when I start practicing this.

If I need to break it up, I can practice some air-cancels with Morrigan. I'm betting Strange will need those, too. Or just go beat up Galactus for sport. No sense in learning Felicia's BnB at this point, since they're going to change in a month. That, and of course, Doom's corner relaunch.

Probably the trickiest part of that Buktooth loop is hitting the M after you've airdashed down forward but before you hit the ground. It's tricky because you don't want to hit it right away. The hardest parts of loops for me are always the ones that you can't just bang out as quickly as you can do the moves. They're the parts where you have to wait a certain amount of time before continuing.

In this case, I believe you wait a bit on that M because it allows you to hit the ground right after you hit them with the M, cancelling what would be normally a longer recovery on that move, and letting you continue the combo on the ground. I still haven't been able to master both reps of the loop, but it's definitely the timing on that M after the airdash that seems like it needs the most practice.

edit: the Buktooth Youtube link posted earlier does a good job of illustrating the timing needed for the loop

McNum

JeTmAn81 said:
Probably the trickiest part of that Buktooth loop is hitting the M after you've airdashed down forward but before you hit the ground. It's tricky because you don't want to hit it right away. The hardest parts of loops for me are always the ones that you can't just bang out as quickly as you can do the moves. They're the parts where you have to wait a certain amount of time before continuing.

In this case, I believe you wait a bit on that M because it allows you to hit the ground right after you hit them with the M, cancelling what would be normally a longer recovery on that move, and letting you continue the combo on the ground. I still haven't been able to master both reps of the loop, but it's definitely the timing on that M after the airdash that seems like it needs the most practice.

edit: the Buktooth Youtube link posted earlier does a good job of illustrating the timing needed for the loop
Looking at the loop, I'm taking that the final j.S can be replaced with the Finger Lasers Hyper? Cap looks awfully in perfect range for that. Or is it a waste of meter due to damage deterioration?

JeTmAn81

McNum said:
Looking at the loop, I'm taking that the final j.S can be replaced with the Finger Lasers Hyper? Cap looks awfully in perfect range for that. Or is it a waste of meter due to damage deterioration?

In that video, they finish it without a hyper, but there are a bunch of ways you can finish it. If you wanted to use the Photon Array hyper, I think that's best done from the air, so at the end of the second loop you could probably do that right after the foot dive. Personally, I prefer to do the Sphere Flame after landing for the last time and hitting them with c.M, c.H because it does so much damage, but I don't know if that would combo into Hyper Charging Star.

Grecco

McNum said:
Okay that's a lot of combos. I think I'll set my goal at the basic Buk for now. I'll worry about variants later. (I was right, though. Last j.S can be replaced with Photon Array.)

I still recomend watching the video, even if you dont use most of those combos.

McNum

Grecco said:
I still recomend watching the video, even if you dont use most of those combos.
I watched the first half, which reminded me that "short combo into launcher into Sphere Flame X-Factor canceled into Sphere Flame" is still very nasty and if you absolutely need to kill anyone not named Thor or Hulk, then that'll do it. It'll cost my X-factor, of course. But having a short, easy to do combo like that ready to go is nice. No need to Buk, if something like that can end the fight.

Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself again. Need to learn the tri-dash before worrying about this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
biosnake20 said:
Who would you guys say are the most improved characters from vanilla to ultimate?
Dahbomb made a pretty solid list a few pages ago.

Ryu (mostly for the overhead) and Doom probably IMO. Other characters got combinations of buffs and nerfs but those two got pretty much straight buffs.

Arthur too, but much of that is still to be seen.

Zissou

McNum said:
I watched the first half, which reminded me that "short combo into launcher into Sphere Flame X-Factor canceled into Sphere Flame" is still very nasty and if you absolutely need to kill anyone not named Thor or Hulk, then that'll do it. It'll cost my X-factor, of course. But having a short, easy to do combo like that ready to go is nice. No need to Buk, if something like that can end the fight.

Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself again. Need to learn the tri-dash before worrying about this.
My Doom is ass but I would recommend the following:

Others have already said it, but learn the buktooth loop and his basic corner loop. If you're within a half screen of the corner when you start, the buk loop will push them far enough that you can transition to the corner loop. Once you've got the basic corner loop down, practice the dash cancel version which will allow you to get one extra rep of the loop in, boosting damage a bit, and making the timing on the OTGs less strict.

You should also practice transitioning into the buk loop off of a back throw (I OTG with S.h and the use fwd.h hard kick to launch them). If you want to keep it simple, it does almost the same damage to just OTG S.h immediately into sphere flame. You can combo off of both grounded and air front throws in the corner, so practice that as well.

Doom has good mobility with tri-dashing. You can get in by super jumping, firing the slow moving qcb+l projectiles and then dashing in behind them as cover. When you hit someone with foot dive, you can cancel into a forward air dash, hit them with J.m while still in the air once, and then transition into a normal combo once you hit the ground. If they block and adv. guard, you can time the air dash to negate the adv. guard, but the timing depends on how early they adv. guard. On the ground, you can negate adv. guard by dash canceling blocked attacks into forward dashes to keep pressuring.

Your standard low block string should be C.l, C.h. Don't use the crouching m, as it can whiff depending on spacing. If the crouching h hits, launch and combo them- if it's blocked, dash forward to negate the advancing guard and stay on their ass.

When doing the buk loop, you should normally end with a sphere flame hyper to maximize damage. For DHC purposes, you should launch once more after the second buk rep and do m, m, f.h, m xx photon array, as it leaves them in block stun for a long time and you can DHC into almost anything as they're falling down. When doing sphere flame -> x-factor -> sphere flame, you should x-factor and do the second sphere flame as rapidly as possible to maximize damage.

Doom benefits A LOT from lockdown assists (like how clockwork uses ammy) to force difficult to block high/low mix-ups. J.m can cross up, and you can also use J.m as an instant overhead on some characters.

If someone who actually knows Doom sees any mistakes, please let me know!

Good luck man!

smurfx

get some go again
just became mighty lord! this is the final stretch in my quest to become cosmic lord before ultimate ships. i'm going to try marathon some games on the weekend and put a dent into my meter.

Tobe

smurfx said:
just became mighty lord! this is the final stretch in my quest to become cosmic lord before ultimate ships. i'm going to try marathon some games on the weekend and put a dent into my meter.
still FREEEEEEEEE
just kidding, god your gonna rape me in ultimate unless i find some secret rushdown technology

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm somewhat proud of myself for not caving in and picking up Shadow Battles. My title collection will forever remain 91% complete.

am in the same situation but i want to 100% this game so bad, maybe the prices will drop eventually?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm somewhat proud of myself for not caving in and picking up Shadow Battles. My title collection will forever remain 91% complete.

smurfx

get some go again
Sixfortyfive said:
i never got any either. i have a ton of missing titles and don't care. i haven't even passed arcade mode with all the characters.

Dahbomb

Tobe1 said:
what? care to explain please?
They aren't as spammy anymore and Storm's version has quite some recovery on it. Good thing because that shit was completely BANANAS. Also wave dashing/plink dashing ignores them almost completely as well as other very fast moving abilities.

Matches will be 3 out of 5! Finals and Grand Finals are 4 out of 7!
My dick is HARD for some long set Mahvel action.

And that tournament is the ultimate "East Coast" wankery. Every notable MVC3 player from East Coast is going to be there. I like Yipes proactive way of bringing East Coast up to speed and motivating everyone... that's what I wanna see.

Who would you guys say are the most improved characters from vanilla to ultimate?
Dr Doom
Ryu
Chris
Captain America
Dormammu
Viewtiful Joe

These lead the pack in most improved. Other characters of note who got generally buffed:

Zero
Storm
Trish
Morrigan
Chun Li (probably, I don't see anything but buffs on her and with the rumored OTG move)
Thor (checking out some video he really is overall faster)
Iron Man (jury is out on his tri-dash but everything else about him is buffed)
Deadpool
Spider Man (jury is out on his buffs but I personally feel he is going to be more versatile in team construction)
Felicia
MODOK
Sentinel
Hulk
X-23
Arthur
Hsien Ko

2 characters who got hit the hardest in terms of nerf are Wolverine and Phoenix. Magneto, Dante and Wesker got slight nerfs and all 3 should be very powerful still (these characters also got some buffs). Tron and Haggar assists got hit hard but got slightly buffs in point game.

Note that this does not reflect where they will end up just a reflection of their buffs/nerfs on paper. So someone like Phoenix may be hit hard but she would probably still be really high up there.

Actually, there is a chance that Trish is nerfed rather than buffed in UMvC3. Chrisis and HonzoGonzo mentioned that her dive kick is now slower, which is quite obvious from the matches in Ultimate Norcal vs Capcom. They also mentioned that her normals are slower although it's a lot less obvious.

Dahbomb

I read their impressions on SRK, dive kick isn't slower but due to HSD changes she can't connect her dive kick in aerial combos or after particular hits.

Even if dive kick is in fact slower.. her overall buffs are substantial. OTG hyper and faster start up and better recovery on almost all her specials.

Grecco

smurfx said:
i never got any either. i have a ton of missing titles and don't care. i haven't even passed arcade mode with all the characters.

I did just to get the full 1000 achievement points in the game. You even have to get to Galactus, and let him win and not continue for all the achievements blergh

Dahbomb

My mind is blown that you can link a tiger knee Beam hyper with Akuma after Raging Demon. I was messing around with Akuma in training mode and I found out.

Timing is really tight... has to be instant. Has this been known?

Grecco

Dahbomb said:
My mind is blown that you can link a tiger knee Beam hyper with Akuma after Raging Demon. I was messing around with Akuma in training mode and I found out.

Timing is really tight... has to be instant. Has this been known?

Did you watch Seasons beatings? Cause the awnser is yes.

Dahbomb

OH fuck I was away some portion of the stream and only tuned in at the later segment with the Phoenix matches.

Figures I am late to the party although judging by the reaction the tech is new or just not well known.

Off topic but PRBalrog has the sickest anti-Phoenix set ups ever. My mind was blown at the Tron + Fatal Claw set up along with the numerous Jam Session set ups.

Dahbomb

I saw the grand finals, mostly top 4 action.

That mash L game is legendary. I swear that shit went on for like 10 seconds it was hilarious and so was the crowd reaction.

Azure J

Dahbomb said:
I saw the grand finals, mostly top 4 action.

That mash L game is legendary. I swear that shit went on for like 10 seconds it was hilarious and so was the crowd reaction.

It was at least 12:45 - 1AM when that shit happened on stream and I seriously couldn't hold in my laughter. Family thought I was going crazy watching that in my room and being so loud about it. :lol

Dahbomb

ThatsSaltFolks_grande.png

classic

Are these all the major tournaments that MVC3 was featured in this year?

WINTER BRAWL, FINAL ROUND, Power Up, UFGT7, East Coast Throwdown 3, NorCal Regionals 9, CEO, Revelations, Shadowloo Showdown, EVO, MAT VIII, Devastation, Toronto 12, Seasons Beating.

If I am missing any please speak up. I am going to be using the stats from these tournaments top 8 for my upcoming post about the vanilla MVC3 tournament season.

Anth0ny

Dahbomb, what buffs is Sent getting? I thought his health went down and drones assist was nerfed... haven't heard anything else.

Dahbomb

Drones have been sped up (it's kinda both a nerf and a buff), cr.M has 3 points of super armor, health rounded off from 905K to 900K (the reduction is inconsequential), cr.M recovers faster and some of his moves are faster/recover faster like his Rocket Punches.

Generally he is "fine tuned" up a bit. Probably need more frame data on him but he is looking slightly buff right now.

Anth0ny

Dahbomb said:
Drones have been sped up (it's kinda both a nerf and a buff), cr.M has 3 points of super armor, health rounded off from 905K to 900K (the reduction is inconsequential), cr.M recovers faster and some of his moves are faster/recover faster like his Rocket Punches.

Generally he is "fine tuned" up a bit. Probably need more frame data on him but he is looking slightly buff right now.

Interesting.

Not sure if I'm dropping him or not. As long as he still has dat damage, it's tempting...

Top Bottom