• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

SmokeMaxX said:
Inadequate analysis? I saw the article the week it came out. If I can find the original thread on SRK, I can show you where I was very unsatisfied with Lens of Truth's comparison because it didn't ask the right questions. This isn't about 360 vs. PS3. I run tournaments and we used to run all games on PS3 to follow Evo. Now we just run all non-Capcom games on PS3. Why? Because they're better on PS3.

However, Capcom games are NOT better on PS3. I've played extensively on both versions. It's not "I lost and so now I'm making excuses." Even when I win I get mad playing on PS3 (not every game, but everytime I feel the lag which ISN'T EVERY MATCH). I went to a tournament where another guy APOLOGIZED because even though the tournament was supposed to be on 360, one match was played on PS3 and both players felt the game pause which screwed up the game winning combo.

Look, if you only play on PS3, you're not going to notice a difference. If you don't play competitively, you're probably less likely to notice a difference. One of the most amazing things about people is how well they adjust to situations. I played on a 50inch Samsung that didn't have Game Mode and, once I got used to the lag, I didn't notice anything strange. If you've played thousands of matches on both consoles, you SHOULD notice a difference.

Also, I love the "pro players get salty" line. That gives people a right to ALWAYS question expert opinions. Even if a pro player is salty, shouldn't he still be more sensitive to that sort of stuff than the average player? It's okay to say pro players get salty and that's why PS3 = 360, but then when someone loses to an online Blanka, it's because of lag?

Frame rate drops (or whatever the terminology is) affect combo timing. If you're used to a 1 frame window (at 60 frames per second) and you have to punish a move at frame 120 exactly... well normally you have to punish it at the 2 second mark, but what if the game slows down to 30 frames per second? Then you have to punish at the 4 second mark.

Frame skipping is fine, that's what the 360 does. It means you see less of what goes on (minutely less) but your timing is essentially the same. The 360 has been dropping frame rate more and more after each subsequent patch, but not as bad as the PS3. For the most part, each system runs at 60 fps, but when more goes on during the match, the PS3 gets taxed more and slows down more.

There's just not enough evidence to back up what you're saying. The only split screen, side-by side, simultaneous analysis of framerate with counter data was done by LOT, and there's no difference between the two versions. That's the gold standard for the comparison. If you attempt to compare under difference circumstances, (i.e., on different stages with different characters) or without counter data, the comparison isn't adequate. At this point, it's only speculation that the framerate is better on the 360.

On a separate note: I can't speak to other Capcom games, but there's just too much quibbling about 1 or 2 missing frames here or 1 line of resolution, etc- microscopic, super slow-mo analysis type stuff . In the genesis/SNES era, or the even the xbox/PS2 era, there were real differences. Play SF2 CE on the genesis, then boot up SF2 TE on the SNES; or Final fight on Sega CD vs Final fight SNES, and you will see a real difference. The things people complain about these days are just asinine.

Edit: Dropped frames wouldn't alter timing at all, if timing is based on an elapsed period of time and not visual cues. For instance, if you need to punish in exactly 2 seconds from a certain reference point, that exact punish would still be executed in 2 seconds, regardless of the FPS. The difference would be the number of frames displayed over that period in question would be 120 at 60 FPS, and 60 at 30 FPS. Now if one was to use visual cues instead for timing, timing would be affected simply because of fragmented or absent visual elements displayed on the screen. It's possible to miss the cue in it's entirety because the data is not being displayed on the screen. Slowdown is completely different from dropped frames, because with slowdown, all the frames in question are displayed over a longer period of time than would otherwise be the case. Nowhere in the DF article is slowdown even eluded to as an issue on the PS3 version.

CPS2

PS3 version has more slowdown and dropped input frames. I would've thought this was common knowledge by now. You don't need any fancy tests, it's pretty obvious just from playing both versions.

Sayah

Why fight over framerate issues? lol.
I have it on PS3 and I've never noticed anything wrong with it. Even if there was, I'm assuming for such issues to be triggered, two opponents must be fighting on heavily animated stages and both must be using hypers at the same times with all three characters. Such scenarios have little to no chances of happening very often. In any case, I end up picking the Danger Room most of the time anyway since it's not animation heavy and likewise can help reduce online lag. The only reason I would prefer the PS3 version for any fighting game is thanks to the 360 controller having a shitty d-pad.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
CPS2 said:
PS3 version has more slowdown and dropped input frames. I would've thought this was common knowledge by now. You don't need any fancy tests, it's pretty obvious just from playing both versions.
I've never experienced this "dropped input" once in the entire time. No I'm not in freaking denial, hell I haven't even really seen much slowdown at all it's super rare. -.- I don't know what situations you guys have been getting in but all my fights never have it o_O

So I just grabbed this for cheap the other day. I don't like picking teams that are popular because they are powerful, I chose based on how fun the combos are I guess

My team is Captain America, Spider-Man and Dante. Not sure if that team will work at all against decent people, but whatever.

Before really playing online I'm learning a BnB for each. What would you recommend as the assist type for these guys?

CPS2

QisTopTier said:
You know I never understood why frame skipping messes up your combos. you know, the frames are just SKIPPED in ANIMATION right? The damn actions still take place. Don't blame that shit on you dropping combos. And the moments they do happen are at times where well it doesnt really fucking mater. But but it messes up my DHC COMBOOOO uhhh do it like you would have anyways? Oh look it worked! YAY muscle memory
combovid.com/?p=5002

Frame skipping makes some combos and reversals impossible. I'm playing a lot of xmvsf at the moment, and on anything other than the slowest speed, the frames where its possible to combo into a throw just never occur at all. edit: i meant to say "a lot of the time." you can combo into throws on turbo but it usually comes down to luck, cos its just not possible to do certain things when frames are skipped

Dahbomb

Just want to give you guys a heads up, there is a person on SRK forums who is using an avatar very similar to mine (ok let's be real it's the exact same as mine) and I have been getting PMs if I am that same person.

I don't have an SRK account and that person is not me. But I do lurk there often. My only other alias online is ChaosAptom on IGN.

Oh and the Vergil love is STRONG at the SRK forums. Dude is going to be such an insanely popular pick in UMVC3 people will get sick of him really fast (those who don't play him of course).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SolarPowered said:
This is how free you are gonna be:

6ksyjxs.gif
hahahahahahahahahahahaa

Kubisa

Neo Member
Horsemama1956 said:
So I just grabbed this for cheap the other day. I don't like picking teams that are popular because they are powerful, I chose based on how fun the combos are I guess

My team is Captain America, Spider-Man and Dante. Not sure if that team will work at all against decent people, but whatever.

Before really playing online I'm learning a BnB for each. What would you recommend as the assist type for these guys?

Most people use Dante's Jam Session for cutting the screen in two. I'm not familiar enough with the other two, but I'd guess Web Ball and Charging Star. Just play around and use whatever assist you feel is most useful.

CPS2 said:
combovid.com/?p=5002

Frame skipping makes some combos and reversals impossible. I'm playing a lot of xmvsf at the moment, and on anything other than the slowest speed, the frames where its possible to combo into a throw just never occur at all. edit: i meant to say "a lot of the time." you can combo into throws on turbo but it usually comes down to luck, cos its just not possible to do certain things when frames are skipped

Well, yes, it makes sense that if you speed a game up, either you have to drop frames or increase FPS. PS3 trolling is en vogue; people even do it when both versions are identical (like this case). But the non-stop trolling creates problems, because sometimes there are appreciable differences between the versions. It's like the boy who cries wolf.

SmokeMaxX

palpabl_purpura said:
Well, yes, it makes sense that if you speed a game up, either you have to drop frames or increase FPS. PS3 trolling is en vogue; people even do it when both versions are identical (like this case). But the non-stop trolling creates problems, because sometimes there are appreciable differences between the versions. It's like the boy who cries wolf.
First off, I apologize for crapping up this thread. This discussion isn't really necessary as it doesn't really change anything and the claims being put forth are either true (which I feel is the case) or they're not (which you feel is the case).

Anyway, here's the thing, I'm not trolling the PS3. I already acknowledge that it's better for pretty much every other fighter except AE or MvC3. The problem is, we're talking about MvC3 and there IS a difference. Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it's not there. It's like saying SF4 is the same on PS3 and 360. Most people don't notice a thing, but for those really sensitive to timing, it affects them quite a bit.

Both versions aren't identical though. I can tell you that with 100% certainty. How often do you play both versions? If you don't play on both, I can see why you'd think it's not a big deal. If you're used to PS3, then it plays completely fine.

palpabl_purpura said:
PS3 was shit for this game at first for most people who could notice the differences and it has actually improved with time.

Get the fuck over it already.
Dahbomb said:
Just want to give you guys a heads up, there is a person on SRK forums who is using an avatar very similar to mine (ok let's be real it's the exact same as mine) and I have been getting PMs if I am that same person.

I don't have an SRK account and that person is not me. But I do lurk there often. My only other alias online is ChaosAptom on IGN.

Oh and the Vergil love is STRONG at the SRK forums. Dude is going to be such an insanely popular pick in UMVC3 people will get sick of him really fast (those who don't play him of course).
I honestly don't care about who is popular as long as everyone on my team is strong.

SmokeMaxX said:
First off, I apologize for crapping up this thread. This discussion isn't really necessary as it doesn't really change anything and the claims being put forth are either true (which I feel is the case) or they're not (which you feel is the case).

Anyway, here's the thing, I'm not trolling the PS3. I already acknowledge that it's better for pretty much every other fighter except AE or MvC3. The problem is, we're talking about MvC3 and there IS a difference. Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it's not there. It's like saying SF4 is the same on PS3 and 360. Most people don't notice a thing, but for those really sensitive to timing, it affects them quite a bit.

Both versions aren't identical though. I can tell you that with 100% certainty. How often do you play both versions? If you don't play on both, I can see why you'd think it's not a big deal. If you're used to PS3, then it plays completely fine.

Two out of 3 comparisons with video evidence show no difference. One of the three (which has a heavy 360 bias) states the difference does not affect gameplay. So, yes, it is trolling to say that timing, combos,<other unsubstantiated claims> ,etc, suffer when playing on PS3. You can say that it's your opinion that the gameplay is subjectively smoother on the 360. I wouldn't consider that statement trolling.

Okay, at this point I don't think there's anything additional to be gained from further debate. Both sides have a clear and entrenched position.

Dahbomb

I honestly don't care about who is popular as long as everyone on my team is strong.
You are gonna care when some random online warrior stomps your ass with the legendary Dark Slayer. And the salt will flow and it will flavor my delicious popcorns.

People thinking Strange is OP right now... Vergil will make Strange look like a Mid tier character in terms of trap lock down and self created imperceptible cross ups/mix ups. And this is all attached to a character with similar or better priority in moves to Dante.

Dante: "I am the most powerful character in both the Marvel and Capcom universes combined. No one can keep up with my SWAG!"

Vergil: "Challenge accepted... COME AT ME BRO!"

SmokeMaxX

palpabl_purpura said:
Two out of 3 comparisons with video evidence show no difference. One of the three (which has a heavy 360 bias) states the difference does not affect gameplay. So, yes, it is trolling to say that timing, combos,<other unsubstantiated claims> ,etc, suffer when playing on PS3. You can say that it's your opinion that the gameplay is subjectively smoother on the 360. I wouldn't consider that statement trolling.

Okay, at this point I don't think there's anything additional to be gained from further debate. Both sides have a clear and entrenched position.
We can end it here, but I would like to say one more thing. The article (Digital Foundry has a heavy 360 bias? Hell, Lens Of Truth sounds like it belongs on Fox News) states very clearly
However, team attacks do segue directly into action and it is conceivable that expert players will feel the difference.
. The difference in timing will most likely only affect those who have combos that require specific timings (not mash l, l, l, l, m, h, s, sj m, m, h, s, hyper) which the article refers to as "expert players" (though I guess that's more for the mainstream crowd's benefit).

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dahbomb said:
You are gonna care when some random online warrior stomps your ass with the legendary Dark Slayer. And the salt will flow and it will flavor my delicious popcorns.

People thinking Strange is OP right now... Vergil will make Strange look like a Mid tier character in terms of trap lock down and self created imperceptible cross ups/mix ups. And this is all attached to a character with similar or better priority in moves to Dante.

Dante: "I am the most powerful character in both the Marvel and Capcom universes combined. No one can keep up with my SWAG!"

I bought DMC3 this week primarily to check out how Vergil plays. I had already played 1/3 of the game, but that was the craptacular PC port. Then I accidentally bought vanilla DMC3 when I saw it at a local store on a whim, so this marks my third copy of the game...

Started out with Vergil now, not sure if I should have done that as I kinda hate replaying games and never got to use all of Dante's weapons on the PC version. Think I stopped after the sword twins.

CPS2

I'll just say this (seriously not trying to drag out an argument, sorry), I think the difference IS negligible if you're not a tournament player. This originally started with someone asking which version to get right? Buy either one. I'm more coming from the perspective of, if you're at a tournament and they're running MvC3 on PS3 and 360, they're doing it wrong. I think that should be avoided with all games just to be safe though (even though I'm guilty of using 2 diff consoles if there's not enough of one >_<).

Tobe

SolarPowered said:
PS3 was shit for this game at first for most people who could notice the differences and it has actually improved with time.

Get the fuck over it already.

looks at hsienko smh.
horsemama1956 said:

pick any assist that help spider extend the awesome looking web throw combos

Sayah

Dahbomb said:

Dante is overrated. Yes, he is very versatile for nearly every situation but everyone picks him and he's sort of become far too predictable. The same thing happened with the Wolverine + Sentinel strategy that a lot of people started to rely on.

Karsticles said:
A good Morrigan? Where can I find the archive?!?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xrx-Rn-m9E
Karsticles said:
He posts a lot on GFAQs if you want to ask him. You're welcome for the videos. When I played him it was not pretty, since I was anchoring Sentinel at the time, and he was using Arthur. :-(
It was mostly his DHCs or hypers with Hsien-Ko. He would DHC into Chireitou even though the enemy is dead and the field is cleared. I would use Rimoukon instead since you get some protection if you want to keep her in there.
Karsticles said:
FYI, her Astral Vision is much faster in UMvC3.
Yeah, I want to see exactly how fast though.
Karsticles said:
I would love all of that. Morrigan even had a ground dash in MvC1...
The ground dash seems like a no brainer to me and finishing shower should really OTG if they insist on it...
Karsticles said:
Dr. Strange has no air dash - I fear nothing. Besides, Dr. Strange has no answer to my Stalking Flare spam with the new team I am trying!
It definitely doesn't help much for me since I prefer dashing over teleporting, but I always have Vergil to look forward to in UMvC3.
Dahbomb said:

This shit made me laugh like hell lol. I'm not that afraid of anyone except Phoenix and I don't see myself getting blown up very often anymore.
Tobe1 said:
looks at hsienko smh.
I actually meant that it wouldn't be a big deal as long as everyone on my team is strong in UMvC3. That is obviously not the case right now lol. Morrigan really needs some help too.
Ultimoo said:
solarpowered is a masochist.
I've never picked bottom tier before. It is just that I can't change directions when I get going. UMvC3 will be my chance to start fresh.
Sayah said:
Dante is overrated. Yes, he is very versatile for nearly every situation but everyone picks him and he's sort of become far too predictable. The same thing happened with the Wolverine + Sentinel strategy that a lot of people started to rely on.
You some sort of wizard?

Tobe

WAIT DR. STRANGE HAS NO AIR DASH WHAT THE FUCK?! argh shit :( no dr strange for me. im a sucker for air dashes shit magneto is my favorite character.

edit: thinking about it i dont see why he has no air dashes well is he can fly why not dash? seems weird maybe cause then it would be to similar to phoenix?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
SolarPowered said:
That guy uses j.S and s.H wayyyy too much. Those moves kill her damage. The Hadouken assist brings me back to my TvC days though, heh.

Only time you should use s.H is in XF3 for lol-worthy combos. s.HHHHHHH does 700K+ IIRC.

The ground dash seems like a no brainer to me and finishing shower should really OTG if they insist on it...
No, no, NO.

Just make her dash faster and auto-correct like CvS2. Or allow you to quickly change direction mid-dash like VSav. Just don't strip out unique traits that partially define the entire character.

I hated MvC2 Morrigan.

Sayah said:
1) Half of Dante's normals seem to hit around him in a 270-degree radius and half of his specials seem to ignore hitstun deterioration. Nobody with that many useful tools can be considered overrated.

2) As predictable as Wolverine is, he's still either the best or 2nd-best character in this game. It seems that the only time I beat him is when he doesn't use Berserker Slash enough.

JeTmAn81

Sixfortyfive said:
That guy uses j.S and s.H wayyyy too much. Those moves kill her damage. The Hadouken assist brings me back to my TvC days though, heh.

Only time you should use s.H is in XF3 for lol-worthy combos. s.HHHHHHH does 700K+ IIRC.

I wasn't too impressed by most of the stuff that Morrigan was doing. Just winning with a character doesn't mean you're actually using them effectively, and his opponent was pretty lousy. I thought the use of Morrigan fireball plus Hadoken assist to cover a lot of area was interesting, though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
JeTmAn81 said:
http://crosscounter.tv/

They're going to start doing live webcasts for their shows. First one is tonight at 10 PST. Don't know why they aren't doing it earlier, they will lose any potential east coast audience.
This works out perfectly for me since my work shift is from 3-midnight CST.

Thanks. He wasn't bad, but I still think JJJ has the best I've seen, and then FlashMetroid.

If she gets a ground dash though, then you can dash up and get the full damage off of Shadow Servant. In corners, you can just loop Finishing Shower twice, or if you have the meter, level 3 into Shadow Servant.

It definitely doesn't help much for me since I prefer dashing over teleporting, but I always have Vergil to look forward to in UMvC3.
I love teleports, but I really just love mobility in general. I just can't play characters like Hulk, I need my air dashes, flight, teleports, etc. I would use Phoenix if it didn't mean playing Dormammu at half strength. Morrigan's restricted mobility options are my only real qualm about her.

WAIT DR. STRANGE HAS NO AIR DASH WHAT THE FUCK?! argh shit :( no dr strange for me. im a sucker for air dashes shit magneto is my favorite character.

edit: thinking about it i dont see why he has no air dashes well is he can fly why not dash? seems weird maybe cause then it would be to similar to phoenix?
Dr. Strange has never been a "fighty" type. More importantly, if he DID have air dashes, they'd have to nerf something else about him. He already has arguably the second best teleport in the game, traps, homing projectiles, a counter, counter hyper, and a tracking hyper. If you gave him tridash rushdown on top of that he'd be a superpowered Phoenix with more health. This way he's generally focused on zoning with that stuff, but he can still mix you up with teleports.

No, no, NO.

Just make her dash faster and auto-correct like CvS2. Or allow you to quickly change direction mid-dash like VSav. Just don't strip out unique traits that partially define the entire character.

I hated MvC2 Morrigan.
That would be fine as well, but I like the idea of OTGing with Shadow Servant for full damage.

Karsticles said:
If she gets a ground dash though, then you can dash up and get the full damage off of Shadow Servant. In corners, you can just loop Finishing Shower twice, or if you have the meter, level 3 into Shadow Servant.
Getting full damage off of Shadow servant would be a huge buff on it's own...
Karsticles said:
Dr. Strange has never been a "fighty" type. More importantly, if he DID have air dashes, they'd have to nerf something else about him. He already has arguably the second best teleport in the game, traps, homing projectiles, a counter, counter hyper, and a tracking hyper. If you gave him tridash rushdown on top of that he'd be a superpowered Phoenix with more health. This way he's generally focused on zoning with that stuff, but he can still mix you up with teleports.
I can't remember where I read it, but I saw that Capcom did not want to give in on the dash. I think Capcom was aware of how gdlike he'd become with that mobility.
Kimosabae said:
WTF? ANyone got context for this?
The bird left a couple of quarters on the ground.

It was totally on the up and up.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
SolarPowered said:

I can't remember where I read it, but I saw that Capcom did not want to give in on the dash. I think Capcom was aware of how gdlike he'd become with that

I speculated that, maybe you're recamling that. Haven't hear danything specific besides that there was a lot of back and forth between Capcom and Marvel on certain stuff.

shaowebb

So has anyone here bought a Dazzle unit for videogame recording?

Regular is $59 and hd is $79. According to the box you can plug in any s vid or component system and record to your computer. I'm wanting to run livestreams and record stuff as well. I'm nothing swag at Marvel because I got no time to practice most days for the hours it takes to get solid, but it'd be nice to carry this thing around to some of the players places around here to let them stream matches and/or record some of there combo vids.

The Shuma player we got out here is pretty fun and you'd probably get a kick out of his matches.

Indeed; it really should go full-screen.

I can't remember where I read it, but I saw that Capcom did not want to give in on the dash. I think Capcom was aware of how gdlike he'd become with that mobility.
Interesting; they are learning.

WTF? ANyone got context for this?
Essentially, the bird just came in and stole chips (I think Doritos) one day. It gave the small shop so much publicity that the shop owner keeps the chips stocked so the bird can keep stealing them.

The Shuma player we got out here is pretty fun and you'd probably get a kick out of his matches.
<3 Shuma.

Sayah

Sixfortyfive said:
1) Half of Dante's normals seem to hit around him in a 270-degree radius and half of his specials seem to ignore hitstun deterioration. Nobody with that many useful tools can be considered overrated.

2) As predictable as Wolverine is, he's still either the best or 2nd-best character in this game. It seems that the only time I beat him is when he doesn't use Berserker Slash enough.
I used to have trouble with him when all people did was teleport back and forth but it's just really easy for me to predict his moves now. Having the largest command list in the game, he definitely is the most opportunistic character in the game but once you play so many Dante's, you mostly already know what they will try to pull off. The only time I go "OH GOD NO" now is when I see Phoenix players. So glad she'll be nerfed for Ultimate.

As far as wolvy, I would also consider him the second best character right after Phoenix. It wasn't him I was referencing specifically. If you play ranked matches a lot, I'm sure you must have come across a Wolverine plus Sentinel team. I was suggesting that that team strategy has become overused and predictable as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the comments going on suggesting the use of the strongest characters as the first and best option, I would disagree. Fighting games can be far more rewarding when you invest time in characters that take a long time to master (like Viper or Trish). You also feel better about your skills when you can pull off stuff that most people can't. An 8 year old could use combos with people like Hulk, Wolverine, Wesker, and the like.

Sayah said:
I used to have trouble with him when all people did was teleport back and forth but it's just really easy for me to predict his moves now. Having the largest command list in the game, he definitely is the most opportunistic character in the game but once you play so many Dante's, you mostly already know what they will try to pull off. The only time I go "OH GOD NO" now is when I see Phoenix players. So glad she'll be nerfed for Ultimate.

As far as wolvy, I would also consider him the second best character right after Phoenix. It wasn't him I was referencing specifically. If you play ranked matches a lot, I'm sure you must have come across a Wolverine plus Sentinel team. I was suggesting that that team strategy has become overused and predictable as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the comments going on suggesting the use of the strongest characters as the first and best option, I would disagree. Fighting games can be far more rewarding when you invest time in characters that take a long time to master (like Viper or Trish). You also feel better about your skills when you can pull off stuff that most people can't. An 8 year old could use combos with people like Hulk, Wolverine, Wesker, and the like.

Wolverine is just mindless rushdown, Dante at least requires execution. Tokido/J Wong essentially made Marvel a 1 player game with mindless rush down, 50/50 Beserker Slash mixups, DHC glitch, and Xfactor, +/- Phoenix (on Tokido's team). Dante was never broken to that degree.

Sayah

palpabl_purpura said:
Wolverine is just mindless rushdown, Dante at least requires execution. Tokido/J Wong essentially made Marvel a 1 player game with mindless rush down, 50/50 Beserker Slash mixups, DHC glitch, and Xfactor, +/- Phoenix (on Tokido's team). Dante was never broken to that degree.
Yes, more often than not, that's what I see with Wolverine players. Mindless rushdown. Him, Phoenix, Sentinel, Wesker, and Zero all need some good nerfing. As far assists, Tron, Haggar, Sentinel, and Doom are most troublesome.

Yes, more often than not, that's what I see with Wolverine players. Mindless rushdown. Him, Phoenix, Sentinel, Wesker, and Zero all need some good nerfing. As far assists, Tron, Haggar, Sentinel, and Doom are most troublesome.
How are we not past people still saying Sentinel is too good?

Neki

SolarPowered said:
Sent is pretty easy to deal with these days. All it takes is a little patience and running away from it is easy as hell.
solarpowered once beat my lone sentinel by holding up-back. it made me so angry, but I held it in and just roflstomped him the next few matches to make up for it.

shaowebb

SolarPowered said:
Sent is pretty easy to deal with these days. All it takes is a little patience and running away from it is easy as hell.

Yeah. The only way to play Sentinel now is to out lame them into a comfortable keep away game. They usually get tired of drone/mah lazor and make the mistake of jumping on him. Thats when you get aggressive. Other than that I play keep away and if I can't flight mode out of the corner in time I go full turtle and punish the blocked combo by reading the punishable attacks of my matchup with a good ol super armored FU into retard simple combo.

Sadly, I will likely drop Sent for Spencer soon. His mobility is risky against guys who know how to lock you in block stun long enough to command grab or mixup teleport. This late in the MVC3 series thats just about every practiced team above 7th ranger. Not only that, but without the ability in UMVC3 to pop HSF after rocket punch that leaves me without viable mid screen combo finishes in case I'm too slow on my dashup to connect with the rocket punch so I can use plasma ball afterwards.

The only hard part about Spencer is learning the timing on which moves to hit and hold jump during to trigger a fast enough approach to link into a grapple to continue the combo. A lot of his stuff hits only if you treat his combo like hoodlum launcher and prep jump during the animation. Grabbing guys out of the air or as they hit the ground is a lot of fun, though. He really feels like he did in the 360 disc release during fights as you do this.

Biggest reason I'm all over Spencer now and thinking I'll drop Sentinel is how easily he opens people up. From anywhere on the screen even without assists he can hit confirm into full combo. Not only that but if I zipline in and you blocked the line I can still punish since I have time to either block, grab, or sometimes throw something that will push me off enough to stay safe. Bionic arm and all that damage is just a major perk in comparison to frequent openings being available to the character. He can punish so many things and stay safe most times after about anything.

Expect lots of Spencer out of my new teams in UMVC3.

Not only that, but without the ability in UMVC3 to pop HSF after rocket punch that leaves me without viable mid screen combo finishes in case I'm too slow on my dashup to connect with the rocket punch so I can use plasma ball afterwards.
You can still TK into Hard Drive, and I can't imagine being too slow to connect Plasma Charge. HSF still works after Rocket Punch from a throw, FYI.

Biggest reason I'm all over Spencer now and thinking I'll drop Sentinel is how easily he opens people up. From anywhere on the screen even without assists he can hit confirm into full combo. Not only that but if I zipline in and you blocked the line I can still punish since I have time to either block, grab, or sometimes throw something that will push me off enough to stay safe. Bionic arm and all that damage is just a major perk in comparison to frequent openings be available to the character. He can punish so many things and stay safe most times after about anything.

Expect lots of Spencer out of my new teams in UMVC3.
Spencer is such a good character, definitely high tier at least. The only reason people don't use him a lot is he's not "zomg so kewl" with a trench coat.

Top Bottom