• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Dahbomb

Unless Morrigan somehow gets a ground dash no one is going to take her seriously. She needs to be able to convert throws into actual damage without having to burn X Factor or something very situational. Throw game is huge in MVC3 unless you are named Phoenix.

Yo Chris G working it with Morrigan at Guard Crush 22 FYI.
*loads immediately*

I was surprised at how well I did with Morrigan yesterday; first time playing her on the team and still had a positive win record against all of my opponents.

Something tells me that Morrigan may become high tier in Ultimate, the buffs we've seen so far (combined with the debuffs to some other characters) is going to make her a very viable candidate. Just depends on how good the newcomers are. Not too worried about Nemesis as Morrigan just doesn't give a fuck when it comes to super armor, but Strange and Strider seem like they could put up a good fight.
This game is all about mobility. I don't think Morrigan will be high tier unless she gets a ground dash.

Is she a better zoner than before compared to the rest of cast? Does she have a standard 550K bnb with finishing shower? Will they fix her throw so that she can get a hyper off of it?
IMO, Morrigan needs to be able to get a full combo off of all of her throws, including her command throw. Chicken blocking her is ridiculously effective right now against her; every character needs to be able to combo off of their air throw. There's no reason Magneto and Storm can but someone like Morrigan can't.

Dahbomb said:
Unless Morrigan somehow gets a ground dash no one is going to take her seriously. She needs to be able to convert throws into actual damage without having to burn X Factor or something very situational. Throw game is huge in MVC3 unless you are named Phoenix.

Phoenix has a throw game too. It's situational but it's important against people who like to hide in the corner.

Karsticles said:
This game is all about mobility. I don't think Morrigan will be high tier unless she gets a ground dash.
All of this ground dash talk came out of nowhere lol. I see her shitty damage, bad hyper and lack of hypers off of throw far more worrying than her dash right now, but I can definitely see how it would be a problem.
Karsticles said:
IMO, Morrigan needs to be able to get a full combo off of all of her throws, including her command throw. Chicken blocking her is ridiculously effective right now against her; every character needs to be able to combo off of their air throw. There's no reason Magneto and Storm can but someone like Morrigan can't.
The team only has two real options aside from the soul sucking fist.

Option #1: Mahvel changes
-Rework throws for full combo possibilities
-Increase Base damage
-Give her a ground dash
-Replace finishing shower with Soul Eraser(with diagonal/horizontal directions and OTG capabilities).
-Reduce startup and recovery frames on Astral vision
-Give her a ground dash

Option #2: Down to Earth changes
-Rework throws so that Shadow Servant is possible in every direction
-Increase Base damage slightly
-Reduce startup and recovery frames on Astral vision
-Increase damage/speed/range of finishing shower immensely

Kimosabae

Banned
Just picked up Akuma.

Umm, why is it that everytime I do a basic Magic Series into Air Combo -> OTG Dive Kick, the CPU rolls out instead of Ground Bouncing?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kimosabae said:
Just picked up Akuma.

Umm, why is it that everytime I do a basic Magic Series into Air Combo -> OTG Dive Kick, the CPU rolls out instead of Ground Bouncing?
Try delaying your air combo normals much like you would for Zero so you have more time to do the OTG dive kick after the hard knockdown. If I'm correctly assuming that not having enough time is your issue.

enzo_gt said:
Try delaying your air combo normals much like you would for Zero so you have more time to do the OTG dive kick after the hard knockdown. If I'm correctly assuming that not having enough time is your issue.
Doesn't Akuma have two dive kicks? A Command one and another from his Demon Flip? I thought people did the DF kick for the bounce.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Professor Beef said:
Doesn't Akuma have two dive kicks? A Command one and another from his Demon Flip? I thought people did the DF kick for the bounce.
Don't know about the command normal dive kick. The Demon Flip one is the only one that OTGs + ground bounces, I presumed he was using that anyways since that's the only one people use for combos.

EDIT: Wait, I remember the command dive kick now, its down+M or something weird of the sort, right? Never really used it much myself.

Dahbomb

Kimosabae said:
Just picked up Akuma.

You need to delay the hits and you should probably just go for BCS (all delayed hits) instead of BBCS. This will give you enough time to go for the relaunch. If the are rolling you are doing it too slow.

That Spider Man combo video is MIND BLOWING HOLY SHIT!!!! And those RESETS MY GAWD. I said WOW.... This gets my seal of "MAHVEL" approval.

Sayah

Tried She-Hulk's grabbing hyper against Sentinel in the air. Doesn't work because Sentinel can also do that hyper in air that overrides She-Hulk's hyper and takes him across the stage.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Got my new laptop and capture hardware running smoothly. Now I just need to wait for the HDMI splitter to get here in the mail and find some good broadcasting software and I am good to go.

Anyone have any recommendations on software? Wirecast costs like $450. >_>

All of this ground dash talk came out of nowhere lol. I see her shitty damage, bad hyper and lack of hypers off of throw far more worrying than her dash right now, but I can definitely see how it would be a problem.
Well, she had a ground dash in the first two MvC games, so that's why I bring it up.

I had a few reverse OCVs with Morrigan today - felt good! I also got two hatemail, and I haven't had hatemail for 3 months! <3 this team, even if it has some atrocious matchups (like, 90% of the cast).

Tweet Spooky; he has given recommendations before for free stuff.

Karsticles said:
Well, she had a ground dash in the first two MvC games, so that's why I bring it up.

I had a few reverse OCVs with Morrigan today - felt good! I also got two hatemail, and I haven't had hatemail for 3 months! <3 this team, even if it has some atrocious matchups (like, 90% of the cast).
Congrats. That is how you know that you are doing something right lol.

I just woke up...want to run a few games for the first time ever?
Sixfortyfive said:
Got my new laptop and capture hardware running smoothly. Now I just need to wait for the HDMI splitter to get here in the mail and find some good broadcasting software and I am good to go.

I asked about capture hardware before and no one could give me a straight answer. I was looking at this since the reviews are good and it looks relatively simple to use...

Congrats. That is how you know that you are doing something right lol.

I just woke up...want to run a few games for the first time ever?
I'm just going to bed! Sunday?

I lost a lot of games because the bad netcode doesn't register my flight-cancels. I fly-cancel everything.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
SolarPowered said:
I asked about capture hardware before and no one could give me a straight answer. I was looking at this since the reviews are good and it looks relatively simple to use...
If that's the device I think it is, then it's a good value for the price, especially if you have a weaker PC, as it does all of the video encoding on the box itself before it even sends anything to the computer, so you don't need a lot of processing power to run it. The downside of this is that it makes post-production a hassle, so it's only convenient for no-frills affairs.

Hope I'm not giving you bad info. Check the streaming research thread on SRK. I'm pretty sure there are some testimonials for that thing in there.

Karsticles said:
I'm just going to bed! Sunday?
okay-face.jpg

Sixfortyfive said:
If that's the device I think it is, then it's a good value for the price, especially if you have a weaker PC, as it does all of the video encoding on the box itself before it even sends anything to the computer, so you don't need a lot of processing power to run it. The downside of this is that it makes post-production a hassle, so it's only convenient for no-frills affairs.

Hope I'm not giving you bad info. Check the streaming research thread on SRK. I'm pretty sure there are some testimonials for that thing in there.
No, that thread is awesome. It is the exact kind of resource that I was looking for.

Thank you so much!

DR2K

Banned
Team Darkstalkers is fun, Felicia is boring as hell to play, but the kitty helper is trolltastic.

Kubisa

Neo Member
Sixfortyfive said:

I use XSplit for streaming videos occasionally, but I'm not sure how it would work with a separate HDMI input or relevant to your needs. Still might be worth checking out.

Also anyone on PSN GAF who wants to play, let me know.

Today, a good day: I got 2 hatemail with my new team, and I haven't gotten hatemail in 3 months! Whoopie, I am a "spamtastic asshat"!

Sentinel/Dormammu/Morrigan.

Essentially I lame it out hard with Sentinel; laser, cancel into Sentinel Force, Air Raid, or Flight. If I ever make a mistake, use Hyper Sentinel Force or Hard Drive to cover myself. Call Dark Harmonizer constantly to build meter so I can sustain this expensive playstyle. If my opponent gets close, I use s.S + Dark Hole call, which makes s.S safe and tends to catch a lot of people.

Once Dormammu is in, I pretty much Stalking Flare every chance I am given and turtle while calling Dark Harmonizer - the math for this is somewhere in this thread, but 5 bars + Dark Harmonizer essentially leads to 1.5 million chip damage. Sentinel's job is just to wear my opponent down so it's easier to chip out my opponent's entire team. DHC into Astral Vision or Shadow Servant if my opponent can get around the flare.

The team will be much stronger come Ultimate because I will sub out Sentinel for Firebrand. Sentinel's main weakness (besides being awful on point against most of the cast if you want to be aggressive) is that if I tag him out for Dormammu, Dormammu has nothing save to DHC into; Stalking Flare to anything Sentinel has won't save me from a beam hyper like Astral Vision will. Luminous Body will be much safer, so I'll have two utility hypers to DHC to. This is important because the following will happen:

1) Stalking Flare
2) Opponent Shinkuu Hadokens to punish (or something like that)
3) DHC to Luminous Body and block
4) Stalking Flare hits (there are only a handful of hypers that actually destroy Stalking Flare in the game, most just hit Dormammu through it)
5) Bon Voyage during the Stalking Flare hits and get a full combo with Firebrand.

So, any attempts to punish Dormammu's Stalking Flare spam instantly becomes an offense for me unless my opponent also wants to DHC into something safe, and then the situation is still in my favor since Firebrand has the Stalking Flare on the screen to help him mix up my opponent.

If Firebrand is dead (he'll be on point), then just replace Luminous Body with Astral Vision. She can't get a full combo, but she can get a Soul Fist or two off from the Stalking Flare's hits. I bet she'll be able to land at least one qcf.S in UMvC3 from this situation, which means I'll steal 2/3rds of my opponent's meter when they make the mistake of trying to punish Stalking Flare.

Dirtbag

Karsticles said:
Today, a good day: I got 2 hatemail with my new team, and I haven't gotten hatemail in 3 months! Whoopie, I am a "spamtastic asshat"!

Sentinel/Dormammu/Morrigan.

Essentially I lame it out hard with Sentinel; laser, cancel into Sentinel Force, Air Raid, or Flight. If I ever make a mistake, use Hyper Sentinel Force or Hard Drive to cover myself. Call Dark Harmonizer constantly to build meter so I can sustain this expensive playstyle. If my opponent gets close, I use s.S + Dark Hole call, which makes s.S safe and tends to catch a lot of people.

Once Dormammu is in, I pretty much Stalking Flare every chance I am given and turtle while calling Dark Harmonizer - the math for this is somewhere in this thread, but 5 bars + Dark Harmonizer essentially leads to 1.5 million chip damage. Sentinel's job is just to wear my opponent down so it's easier to chip out my opponent's entire team. DHC into Astral Vision or Shadow Servant if my opponent can get around the flare.

The team will be much stronger come Ultimate because I will sub out Sentinel for Firebrand. Sentinel's main weakness (besides being awful on point against most of the cast if you want to be aggressive) is that if I tag him out for Dormammu, Dormammu has nothing save to DHC into; Stalking Flare to anything Sentinel has won't save me from a beam hyper like Astral Vision will. Luminous Body will be much safer, so I'll have two utility hypers to DHC to. This is important because the following will happen:

1) Stalking Flare
2) Opponent Shinkuu Hadokens to punish (or something like that)
3) DHC to Luminous Body and block
4) Stalking Flare hits (there are only a handful of hypers that actually destroy Stalking Flare in the game, most just hit Dormammu through it)
5) Bon Voyage during the Stalking Flare hits and get a full combo with Firebrand.

So, any attempts to punish Dormammu's Stalking Flare spam instantly becomes an offense for me unless my opponent also wants to DHC into something safe, and then the situation is still in my favor since Firebrand has the Stalking Flare on the screen to help him mix up my opponent.

If Firebrand is dead (he'll be on point), then just replace Luminous Body with Astral Vision. She can't get a full combo, but she can get a Soul Fist or two off from the Stalking Flare's hits. I bet she'll be able to land at least one qcf.S in UMvC3 from this situation, which means I'll steal 2/3rds of my opponent's meter when they make the mistake of trying to punish Stalking Flare.

That sounds incredible lame/frustrating to play against. I sort of hoped stalking flare would get some minor nerfs. Like its duration shortened if it's not in contact with a player, or have it finish before a player jumps in when it kills the previous character.

That sounds incredible lame/frustrating to play against. I sort of hoped stalking flare would get some minor nerfs. Like its duration shortened if it's not in contact with a player, or have it finish before a player jumps in when it kills the previous character.
It already disappears when Dormammu takes damage - I think that's enough of a downside, and people can X-Factor in the air now. It's not even among the top 10 hypers in the game. It's actually getting buffed in UMvC3 it seems; Dormammu recovers faster now.

smurfx

get some go again
ah crap looks like i wont be able to play marvel thanks to work. i keep falling and falling behind. :( no way i want to play marvel when i get out of work tired.

smurfx said:
ah crap looks like i wont be able to play marvel thanks to work. i keep falling and falling behind. :( no way i want to play marvel when i get out of work tired.
You and every gaffer who bought this game it seems.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nose Master said:
I'll have to upload the video, but x-23's model was really fucked up earlier when I was grinding the last few achievements out. Anytime it was on screen, it obscured everything except for special move effects. I hope my 360 isn't dying :(.

EDIT: Basically this but larger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRYbaLab19Y
Happened to me once on 360, and never again. Happened to Zero.

on marvel. been playing like shit lately. can't get my timing down and my decision making has been garbage as well.
Ah. I've been playing surprisingly well for not touching the game in a month. Morrigan has been my main weakness; my Sentinel is better than ever since I'm taking him seriously now - he has a job to do!

smurfx

get some go again
Karsticles said:
Ah. I've been playing surprisingly well for not touching the game in a month. Morrigan has been my main weakness; my Sentinel is better than ever since I'm taking him seriously now - he has a job to do!
i helped pull up this super, SUPER glued down carpet and holy shit were my fingers sore for about 1 week. i kept doing that viscant thing that he does with his fingers between matches since using my controller felt weird.

smurfx

get some go again
yesterday i played a lurker from neogaf who sent a friend request. he had a captain america/arthur/sentinel team. had some real good matches. anybody on my friends list wanting to play a good captain america and arthur should give him a message. i would post his name but i don't feel like turning on my 360. its kinda funny though that hardly anybody on my friends list mains high tier characters. its always low tier character madness. :p tobe is the only one that plays higher tier characters consistently.

Tiger uppercut said:
She-Hulks rejoice, she has a forward air dash in Ultimate mahvel!

Edit: I went here before the ultimate thread, hah.
Pretty good stuff, but this thread is pretty much dead since it is for Vanilla.
smurfx said:
yesterday i played a lurker from neogaf who sent a friend request. he had a captain america/arthur/sentinel team. had some real good matches. anybody on my friends list wanting to play a good captain america and arthur should give him a message. i would post his name but i don't feel like turning on my 360. its kinda funny though that hardly anybody on my friends list mains high tier characters. its always low tier character madness. :p tobe is the only one that plays higher tier characters consistently.
You might want to ask him first lol.

Top Bottom