• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Door2Dawn

Banned
I was thinking about getting back into this, but fuck me this the learning curve is steep as hell. I wasn't even good when I first got it, now I have to learn everything all over again. :(

Dahbomb

DiosX developed some nice tech on his team. Finally a Sentinel player who uses H Drones because they are actually really good.

Viscant with that cameo Iron Man appearance.

Tobe

Door2Dawn said:
I was thinking about getting back into this, but fuck me this the learning curve is steep as hell.
marvel 3 in 3 easy steps

#1: left right mixup is better than high low.
#2: good point or anchor consist of a godlike H to option select into throw, can self otg or combo from throw
#3: godlike assist like akuma, tron, haggar

or you can play for fun and pick any character you want

EDIT: are there any streams going on that im not aware of?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seeing DiosX combo off of Hidden Missiles was sick.

Tobe1 you just missed The Box Arena's Farewell to MvC3 tournament.

There's also like 2 other streams going on, and a thread about em.

Door2Dawn said:
I was thinking about getting back into this, but fuck me this the learning curve is steep as hell. I wasn't even good when I first got it, now I have to learn everything all over again. :(
Buy Ultimate in just over 2 weeks! Perfect time for a fresh start.

SolarKnight said:
Well, I'll be going out for a tourney soon, and I think they want to stream it. Wish me luck guys (although I have 0% chance of winning but still). If they do stream it and I find a wireless connection I'll be sure to link you guys.

Welp, not only was there no stream, there was no internet and I got blown the fuck up 0-2 (ok, it was 1-2 but that 1 was because of a no show so it doesn't count). On the other hand, I got about top 16 in SFIV. If you've played me already during the Gafbats that probably says a lot to you about the average skill level here >___>

Anyways, does anyone want to play Marvel? I barely got to play since there were only 2 setups and both were used for the tourney.

In the final weeks of Vanilla, my scene is running a bunch of Marvel tourneys. Today was the first of 3, which I managed to take home with Peter, Tony Masters and Laura. Grand Finals I missed damn near every combo due to Ammy's small hitbox, but Skill-Factor + Skill-23 managed to take me home, which I will take wholeheartedly. Won a PS3 for my trouble.

For all its faults, this game is still very much awesome. Did not play as well with Spider-Man as I would've liked though...but my SkillMaster is doing decent work for about 2 weeks worth of playing him.

Best moment was when one of the people watching asked me if I went to this past EVO - he recognized me from the stream, and called me a "celebrity" :lol. If only.

I'll post videos when they're up. For now, I'm buzzed and will promptly end this post.

I also need to practice more on the PS3 version. I'm sure some of it was nerves for me missing combos since I had to come out of Loser's in GF, but damn -- the game really feels different for sure. Just gotta get used to it. Hopefully both Ultimates are closer to the same game ala SSF4 versions.

PS Now that I play Taskmaster, I especially still don't understand how people get hit by him. He can't open people up at all, but he still manages to get the job done somehow. Boggles my mind how many times I hit someone with him. Derp.

Neki

Killa Sasa said:
In the final weeks of Vanilla, my scene is running a bunch of Marvel tourneys. Today was the first of 3, which I managed to take home with Peter, Tony Masters and Laura. Grand Finals I missed damn near every combo due to Ammy's small hitbox, but Skill-Factor + Skill-23 managed to take me home, which I will take wholeheartedly. Won a PS3 for my trouble.

For all its faults, this game is still very much awesome. Did not play as well with Spider-Man as I would've liked though...but my SkillMaster is doing decent work for about 2 weeks worth of playing him.

Best moment was when one of the people watching asked me if I went to this past EVO - he recognized me from the stream, and called me a "celebrity" :lol. If only.

I'll post videos when they're up. For now, I'm buzzed and will promptly end this post.

I also need to practice more on the PS3 version. I'm sure some of it was nerves for me missing combos since I had to come out of Loser's in GF, but damn -- the game really feels different for sure. Just gotta get used to it. Hopefully both Ultimates are closer to the same game ala SSF4 versions.

PS Now that I play Taskmaster, I especially still don't understand how people get hit by him. He can't open people up at all, but he still manages to get the job done somehow. Boggles my mind how many times I hit someone with him. Derp.

Like I've said, Taskmaster has almost zero options to get in. He capitalizes on people's mistakes to get in.

Dahbomb

Good normals allow you to hit people out of stuff. Plus a solid wave dash, a great j.H, air throw and the fact that people get tipsy when they are getting chipped by arrows. So much about zoning is about mentally breaking down the opposition into making them give you a hit. I have seen decent Wolverine players crumble under pressure when they mistime a few B Slashes and get stuffed on recovery.

Killa Sasa said:

Good shit man. I like wearing my EVO shirt to locals, it intimidates people.

shaowebb

I'm gonna miss vanilla. There are no tournies out in WV to send it off with so I've just been playing through all the cast online to give them a fair shake of controller time. I've managed to wipe out the H button on my ponystick and that means I'm using the TE stick again.

I'll have to get that fixed before Ultimate hits.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
^ I am tripping the fuck out right now.

I need to get my Vanilla disc back for that final stretch of practice. I am so ass at Vanilla I have to step my shit up x20 for Ultimate.

GatorBait

Finally read the SolarPowered drama after learning he wasn't picking up Ultimate in the other thead.

Solar: I think you will be much happier playing Skullgirls, if that is what you are planning. They are claiming to give every single character tools that allow them to be feasible entirely on their own. Capcom is more focused on creating character archetypes and then trying to instill balance around those archetypes. It's not a design philosophy I inherently disagree with, it's just different from striving to put all characters on level ground in all match-ups.

You should also really try to broaden your horizons in regards to character choice, for your own sanity. If you fixate too much on playing a game for one character, there is always a chance you will be disappointed (assuming you want to play that character AND regularly win). I'm surprised you can't find other characters you can enjoy playing as with a roster of 48 characters. Who would you have picked up if Morrigan and Hsien-ko weren't even in MvC3?

GatorBait said:
Finally read the SolarPowered drama after learning he wasn't picking up Ultimate in the other thead.

Solar: I think you will be much happier playing Skullgirls, if that is what you are planning. They are claiming to give every single character tools that allow them to be feasible entirely on their own. Capcom is more focused on creating character archetypes and then trying to instill balance around those archetypes. It's not a design philosophy I inherently disagree with, it's just different from striving to put all characters on level ground in all match-ups.
Capcom sure as hell did a great job of buffing on the Marvel side of things. There are at most five characters that are not tournament viable(probably more like three at best). Making 80% of the Marvel roster that strong is commendable and it shows that they can do it if they wish.

The Capcom side of the roster was shenanigans and most of my interest lies there.
GatorBait said:
You should also really try to broaden your horizons in regards to character choice, for your own sanity. If you fixate too much on playing a game for one character, there is always a chance you will be disappointed (assuming you want to play that character AND regularly win). I'm surprised you can't find other characters you can enjoy playing as with a roster of 48 characters.
I don't switch once I start playing a character seriously. Most of the top tier was so stupid that I didn't even feel right using them(No, Ammy is small and mobile, but she ain't broken) and I've used top tier characters(I played Bang at a pretty high level on the 360 back in my BlazBlue days). The rest of the solid characters that followed were vets that I never liked(Doctor Doom), designs that did not interest me(MODOK, Taskmaster) or just weird for me(Deadpool, Dormammu). Some of the old ones that I was interested in were discovered too late for me to change my game(Trish) and others kind of pissed me off even though I've used them before(I used to like Ryu, but the Capcom Street Fighter Fellatio for SFIV and made me hate most Street fighters for a while).

It would help if I were actually interested in using Marvel characters. I've read dozens of comics, but I never got into them as fighting game characters and when I do... they are derpitty derp stupid tier. I played Bang in Continuum Shift(top tier) and these guys in Mahvel sickened me to the point that I could never consider them for my team without feeling cheap as fuck about it.
GatorBait said:
Who would you have picked up if Morrigan and Hsien-ko weren't even in MvC3?
I pick up my characters mostly on random stuff. MvC3 Hsien-Ko was the very first time I saw the character and I was completely dumbstruck and extremely curious about her. Morrigan was never that special for me even in MvC1 and MvC2, but she looked solid and I liked her a lot from the aesthetic standpoint. I just picked pretty terribly is all.

Other characters I'm interested in:

Old
Trish
Ryu
Wesker(too bad he was so durpin' easy and stupid that I felt guilty even thinking about it)
Zero

I'm not using Wesker or Zero in the new one for sure. Trish is a very strong contender for Hsien-Ko's spot(she is getting dropped no matter what) as a second character.

New
Nova
Strider
Firebrand
Dr. Strange

Nova looks like the best one here and he would have been PERFECT if he had a beam assist. Firebrand may come in second. Dr. Strange is last since I've never used teleport characters before, but I never used a stance changing character until Ammy and she turned out wonderful so who knows what could happen.

Dahbomb

Your guilt is the reason why you never allow yourself to pick a character that is too good. LOL... also you should still give Wesker a shot in UMVC3. I mean yea he is easy but he taps out fairly quick too. It's not like Wesker doesn't have bad match ups.

There are at most five characters that are not tournament viable(probably more like three at best).
Who's not tournament viable on the Marvel side?

X-23, MODOK, and Thor are all tourney viable. They just aren't herp derp.

X-23 has some of the insane mix ups and can easily get two chars dead. MODOK has some crazy combos and damage that people aren't using due to not learning him. Thor can TOD every character in the game with ease.

Hell Shuma is viable just due to his assist.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm beginning to wonder how much the system changes will actually screw over X-23. She did get some buffs, but a lot of new stuff will hurt her. 90% meter game means having to work harder for Dirt Naps, XF nerf might mean no more X-Factor Level 1 kills into Dirt Nap on the incoming character with enough juice left to relaunch and the buff to zoning could make her life a lot trickier as well.

I'm still planning on playing her, but those things have me worried she'll have to work even harder than she did now and will make one slip up even more fatal than it was before.

Dahbomb

Professor Beef said:
Shuma, Captain America, Thor, MODOK, and (arguably) X-23.
That's 5 of Marvel's worst characters?

LOL at least one of them is a High tier character. The worst one is Shuma by a mile, the rest are all Mid or above.

Shuma's assist is going to be much more useful now. No more blocking during air dash and more emphasis on zoning.

Frantic

Man, I don't give a shit about picking by tiers. I pick who I want to play, when I want to play them. Since most of the cast is fun to me, I can just hit the random select and get some fun out of it. The only time I pick my main team now is when I play on Ranked.

Dahbomb said:
also you should still give Wesker a shot in UMVC3. I mean yea he is easy but he taps out fairly quick too.
This is pretty much why I dropped Wesker from my main teams. I was finding out all this awesome tech with my other characters like Spencer and Dante while Wesker was just sitting there with what? Week 1 tech? I mean, it works, but I like that feeling of advancement as my characters get better and better as time goes on and Wesker didn't really fit that bill for me.

Dahbomb

The funny part is that Wesker is technically untouchable in the game if played by a robot. At a certain range he can normal counter anything into a combo. They tried to buff that in UMVC3 but people still aren't going to use his counters because the risk/reward isn't there. Too high of a risk IMO.

Frantic

Dahbomb said:
The funny part is that Wesker is technically untouchable in the game if played by a robot. At a certain range he can normal counter anything into a combo. They tried to buff that in UMVC3 but people still aren't going to use his counters because the risk/reward isn't there. Too high of a risk IMO.
Haha, when I played Wesker I would always try to counter stuff but I always, ALWAYS failed. The only times I didn't were against flowchart Zero j.H, Akuma Tatsus, and Dante j.S. Too easy.

On the subject of robot, trying to fight CPU Wesker/Taskmaster is soooo annoying because of this. Instant counters for even the fastest of normals.

Wait... I'm talking about Ultimate. Unless the system changes fuck these characters over pretty much every Marvel character besides Shuma got buffed well enough to contend in the coming tournaments.

GatorBait

SolarPowered said:
Capcom sure as hell did a great job of buffing on the Marvel side of things. There are at most five characters that are not tournament viable(probably more like three at best). Making 80% of the Marvel roster that strong is commendable and it shows that they can do it if they wish.
I'm looking at the Capcom list of characters right now...which ones from their side do you think won't be tournament viable in UMvC3?

(Above question isn't aimed directly at Solar; I'd like to hear everyone's take on it.)

SolarPowered said:
Wait... I'm talking about Ultimate. Unless the system changes fuck these characters over pretty much every Marvel character besides Shuma got buffed well enough to contend in the coming tournaments.
Oh, I thought you meant Vanilla.

Dahbomb

Professor Beef said:
Those are the 5 "worst" Marvel characters I could see.
Mine would be the same but swap X-23 with Super Skrull. And worst doesn't mean bad or non-viable at all.

Unless the system changes fuck these characters over pretty much every Marvel character besides Shuma got buffed well enough to contend in the coming tournaments.
System changes help out these characters way more than hurt them except maybe X-23 due to removal of DHC glitch and more zoning style game play. Thor/Skrull/MODOK are indirectly buffed from air X Factor and Captain America is going to go to town against air dash characters at low height. All these characters are buffed. Shuma is technically better than before even if it's slight.

I'm looking at the Capcom list of characters right now...which ones from their side do you think won't be tournament viable in UMvC3?
Haggar and Hsien Ko lack viability on point, still have top tier assists.

Morrigan is very iffy, it's looking bad for her but her assist is more valuable on teams now. Chun Li is 50/50 although all her buffs are very good (my money is on her breaking out of her tier). Arthur is the same as Chun Li, buffed significantly but to what extent is difficult to say. Aside from these, everyone on Capcom's side is tournament viable and yes that includes Tron too.

Professor Beef said:
Oh, I thought you meant Vanilla.
The paragraph that this sentence came from was pretty much all about Ultimate's buffs.
GatorBait said:

(Above question isn't aimed directly at Solar; I'd like to hear everyone's take on it.)
Likely
Dante
Amateratsu
Wesker
C.Viper
Chris
Spencer
Zero
Dante
Trish
Felicia
Ryu
Akuma
Jill
Viewtiful Joe

Maybe
Arthur
Tron
Chun Li

Frantic

Dante is so top tier he's on your list twice! :O

Also, I think Chun-Li will be viable depending on whether her damage is buffed to a decent degree, and if her OTG can help her finish combos with a hyper and combo off an airthrow. The latter I think will be possible, and the former will hopefully be possible.

Dahbomb

While it's unlikely, I am hoping the whole not blocking during air dash isn't a big deal and doesn't apply to Morrigan the same way as other characters. For a character who can't even ground dash and whose sole way of getting in and moving around is a slow air dash... that is just really bad. I am hoping that since you have to hold down the dash to make it go longer, you can choose not to hold it down and instead block.

Or something like that. Bottom line is that Morrigan's viability basically depends upon how no block during air dash affects her. If she is considered as a character without looking at the universal air dash change, she is much better than before and it's a shame because it feels that a lot of her legitimate buffs are essentially wasted.

X-23 near the bottom of the Marvel side, no matter how good the bad characters are, is crazy sauce. And a worst Marvel side without Hulk? I am disappoint that nobody believes in Laura. PHX, Mags, Logan, Doom and maaaaybe Dorm/Spider-Man (player preference, really) are the only ones better than her on the Marvel side. Not enough people are willing to dig in with characters. Makes me wish I could go to more tourneys.

Feel the same way about MODOK, too. Doritos and lasers is a crazy powerful combination once you run into a competent one.

Can't do Canada Cup due to term project/presentation due the Monday after T_T

IMO she's the best XF2 character (aside from that fraud Logan) and has the best level 3 in the game. She's a thinking Wolverine.

We need Ultimate, but it's a tad sad this game's more interesting characters never got fully cracked.

Dahbomb

Oh yeah forgot about Hulk. I some how felt that list was lacking some Marvel character. I always shock myself how I always manage to leave out Hulk. Although even HE is buffed in UMVC3.

And I believe in X-23. Always had.

Kimosabae

Banned
Dahbomb said:
While it's unlikely, I am hoping the whole not blocking during air dash isn't a big deal and doesn't apply to Morrigan the same way as other characters. For a character who can't even ground dash and whose sole way of getting in and moving around is a slow air dash... that is just really bad. I am hoping that since you have to hold down the dash to make it go longer, you can choose not to hold it down and instead block.

Or something like that. Bottom line is that Morrigan's viability basically depends upon how no block during air dash affects her. If she is considered as a character without looking at the universal air dash change, she is much better than before and it's a shame because it feels that a lot of her legitimate buffs are essentially wasted.

I was thinking about this today. She has to be the exception to the rule. That's just too big of an oversight. She's useless against zoners with instant beam hypers like Dorm, Ryu and Akuma.

I told you that shitty article brought up some valid points!

Dahbomb

Most of the stuff in the article people already knew about and had been talked about already at length. Plus it's still hard to talk about how much affected certain characters are without playing the game. There are stuff not listed in the changelog. We learned today that Dorm can now chain cr.L into cr.H... that's such a HUGE oversight in the changelog I can't even describe it (maybe Karsts can). Plus no mention on his faster dashes and being able to attack out of down/back dash or his reduced hit stun on cr.M or that Stalking Flare recovers faster.

And some stuff is just... well not entirely true. Wesker is more nerfed than buffed, I think I have already gone on length on this. Phoenix is also not useless/unplayable. The article just felt like just another post you read on SRK rather than a well thought analysis of the whole roster and mechanics. While not related to the article, there are people on SRK that believe Trish is lower mid tier now and I just SMH.

The focus was only on stuff that he didn't agree with. As far as the changelog is concerned, for every disagreeable thing in it there are at least 10 things that no one has an issue about and are logical/needed changes.

Killa Sasa said:
Feel the same way about MODOK, too. Doritos and lasers is a crazy powerful combination once you run into a competent one.
And there lies the problem. Who else is good with him that shows up to tournaments besides Keits?

GatorBait

So we're thinking somewhere in the area of ~3-8 characters who won't be tournament viable from the existing cast?

Assuming at least 10 of the new characters are tournament viable (which I think is probably a safe bet), we are looking at 38+ tournament viable characters. I'm REALLY liking that. I'm hoping that the compression of tiers will lend to a lot more variability in character choice in tournaments. I really enjoy watching unique match-ups and people who exhibit skill in characters outside of the top tier.

I have my fingers crossed their isn't a herp derp tier again, so we don't have everyone flocking to the same 5 characters again.

Dahbomb

Keits doesn't use MODOK anymore. There are however a few MODOK users who come to tournament and do decent with him. I think Hiro (forgot name) at NorCal has a pretty good MODOK. Thing about MODOK is that a solid game plan hasn't developed for him yet. Like when do you zone and when do you rushdown? It's very character dependent. I really think he is legitimately above the middle tier in even vanilla MVC3.

we are looking at 38+ tournament viable characters.
Number of tournament viable characters was high in MVC3 too but the gap in strength was high as well. I feel overall excluding the really messed up bottom tier, the game appears to have shortened the gap in between "tiers" through system changes. There will still be top tiers and high tiers that will be used more than other characters and there will be underused but good characters. If MVC3 -> UMVC3 is like SF4 -> SSF4 I would be extremely happy.

Kimosabae

Banned
When are you going to stop belaboring the well-acknowledged point that the article is bad? That doesn't change the fact that it brings up valid point of discussion. Christ.

Dahbomb

When you stop bringing up the article altogether. I already said that while it has some valid/correct points it also has some invalid/incorrect points. That has nothing to do with the quality of writing. Even the valid ones he brings up are stuff that are well covered else where. Like for example, Viscant covered the changes on Wesker much eloquently and methodically while citing metagame and match up examples.

Top Bottom