• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT3| Self-Control Support Group

Frantic

I wish I could have recorded that MODOK that bodied me - best MODOK I've seen. I wonder if he's ever showed up to any tournaments...

I did find a video of him from a few months ago(on the PS3 rather than X-Box), and it at least gives an idea of what I went through. Here's the video, if anyone is interested. He's the only person I've EVER seen use Jaguar Dash as an assist, and it works.

Are there any major tournaments between November and March? I was not into the scene that much until MvC3 and that game came out in Feb so I don't know the schedule for tournaments in Winter.
Dahbomb said:
Number of tournament viable characters was high in MVC3 too but the gap in strength was high as well. I feel overall excluding the really messed up bottom tier, the game appears to have shortened the gap in between "tiers" through system changes. There will still be top tiers and high tiers that will be used more than other characters and there will be underused but good characters. If MVC3 -> UMVC3 is like SF4 -> SSF4 I would be extremely happy.
I really wish Mags would've stayed without gravitation, Doom would've lost that foot dive kick and Wesker lost that glasses buff. Then the game would be much more open for tournaments. At least this game seems to lack the ridiculous amount of bullshit that MvC3 had.

Edit: Fuck Zero's level 3 buster cancel. That can go and charge level 3 before a match can stay.

Rynge

Neo Member
Frantic said:
I wish I could have recorded that MODOK that bodied me - best MODOK I've seen. I wonder if he's ever showed up to any tournaments...

I did find a video of him from a few months ago(on the PS3 rather than X-Box), and it at least gives an idea of what I went through. Here's the video, if anyone is interested. He's the only person I've EVER seen use Jaguar Dash as an assist, and it works.

game needs a replay system. i played against an awesome jill earlier that i would have liked to share.

Degen

This game messes with me on a whole new level...

SF4 and darn near any other fighting game:

• Win: "Hell yeah :) GG"
  • Lose: "I need to step my game up... "
  • Opponent ragequits: "Haha, that's weak"

MVC3:

• Lose: "ARE YOU SERIOUS?? that is BULL****"
  • Opponent ragequits: "YEEEAH GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT BULL****"
  • Win: "nice... ... ...that was some bull**** though"

and yet... I cannot stop playing.

Anth0ny

Degen said:

MVC3:

it's mahhhhvel baby

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rynge said:
game needs a replay system. i played against an awesome jill earlier that i would have liked to share.
My #1 requested feature for UMvC32013E, and UMvC3 really.

Dahbomb said:
SorCal Regionals and Winter Brawl. Probably some more.
NEC is the first UMvC3 major, IIRC.

* Win: "Hell yeah :) GG"
* Lose: "I need to step my game up... "
* Opponent ragequits: "Haha, that's weak"

MVC3:

* Lose: "ARE YOU SERIOUS?? that is BULL****"
* Opponent ragequits: "YEEEAH GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT BULL****"
* Win: "nice... ... ...that was some bull**** though"

LOL. That reminds me of a friend I play with a lot - he usually stops after a while because he starts getting violent urges. :-/

I have the "win" experience all the time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Degen said:

MVC3:

I recommend not using all big tanky characters.

shaowebb

I like Royal Flush's Modok myself. The way he strings together those analyze cubes in combos and performs loops that lead into Thor DHC-ing is really something special. He's pretty ass on Iron Fist though. For God's sake dude stop mashing S so much and pop a quarter circle on occasion.

On a sidenote I am hoping to see more Super Skrull play now that I've been giving Vanilla its sendoff by playing through the cast. Out of all the crew I pretty well ignored I am finding his tools the most fun to screw around with. He's really fun and can probably make a scary as hell point character if the team is built correctly. I think he needs a lockdown assist and a either beams or some kind of a screen filler to make it work. Coldstar would be a good one for him to use...maybe berzerker barrage as well.

I'll dick around with him some more as I send off Vanilla and see if I end up with a Skrull team or something. How does everyone else feel about the guy?

Thanks for the info on the tournaments. I know the game will probably be skipped by the closest tournament since people need a few months to adapt. I'm guessing we'll get to see high level players flexing their muscle come January-February.

This doesn't include smaller streamed events.
Kadey said:
He's too dumb to be a rapist. He'd like call the cops first and then attempt the rape.
Fuck I lol'd at this.

I'll dick around with him some more as I send off Vanilla and see if I end up with a Skrull team or something. How does everyone else feel about the guy?
I love Skrull. I used him with Dormammu for a while until I found it just wasn't as effective as I wanted it to be, since Skrull and Dormammu have similar matchup problems.

If Dormammu was not in this game, I would main Super-Skrull. Skrull/Sentinel/Haggar.

Dahbomb said:
And I believe in X-23. Always had.

*Respeck knuckles*

The little former prostitute that could definitely has it in her. Knew she'd be great since I saw her reveal trailer with Tron and, soon after, Dirt Nap <3.

SolarPowered said:
Are there any major tournaments between November and March? I was not into the scene that much until MvC3 and that game came out in Feb so I don't know the schedule for tournaments in Winter.

Nov 5 - Canada Cup
Nov 11 - NorthWest Majors
Dec 3 - NorthEast Championship (first major to feature UMvC3)
Dec 17 - SoCal Regionals (first to feature AE2012)
March 2 - Final Round

These are the ones that has been scheduled so far..... there's also Winter Brawl and WestCoast Warzone but so far they are yet to be scheduled (as far as I know). There's a UMvC3 tourney scheduled for Nov 19 in Super Arcade which is guaranteed to feature the WNF crowd.... before that I have no idea if they are playing UMvC3 in WNF or Guard Crush, but yeah that will be the eariest you'll see high level UMvC3 action. Yipes's Curly Mustache tourney will probably occur again during that time too.

shaowebb

Karsticles said:
I love Skrull. I used him with Dormammu for a while until I found it just wasn't as effective as I wanted it to be, since Skrull and Dormammu have similar matchup problems.

If Dormammu was not in this game, I would main Super-Skrull. Skrull/Sentinel/Haggar.

How about if I try Skrull and Magneto. I brought it up in the other thread, but I can hit some of Magneto's fly combos. I haven't tried grav loop yet because I dash with MH and I'd have to get used to switching to LM for the usage of that H in the combo to pull that off, but the point is I can generally get what I go for out of Magneto even if its not all that high end.

Skrull...Magneto...do you think I need a wall assist for this team? I could try coldstar again with Ammy to try and go middle of the road since it kind of does a wall/lockdown/ extender role and is overall fairly versatile for about anything you need. It'd at least be a safe way to test what I'll be using it for the most with Skrull.
God this team already looks irritating as hell to play against. I'm gonna have to give it some lab time during my send off plays.

Skrull's Orbital Grudge has super armor. Personally, I think Skrull is the kind of character you need to devote the entire team to, which is why I would use Skrull/Sentinel/Haggar if Dormammu weren't in this game. I don't think there is a more perfect companion for Skrull than Haggar. I'm not sure what Magneto adds to the team beyond being Magneto.

shaowebb said:
How about if I try Skrull and Magneto. I brought it up in the other thread, but I can hit some of Magneto's fly combos. I haven't tried grav loop yet because I dash with MH and I'd have to get used to switching to LM for the usage of that H in the combo to pull that off, but the point is I can generally get what I go for out of Magneto even if its not all that high end.

Skrull...Magneto...do you think I need a wall assist for this team? I could try coldstar again with Ammy to try and go middle of the road since it kind of does a wall/lockdown/ extender role and is overall fairly versatile for about anything you need. It'd at least be a safe way to test what I'll be using it for the most with Skrull.
God this team already looks irritating as hell to play against. I'm gonna have to give it some lab time during my send off plays.

The key to surviving with Skrull is to deal with his biggest weakness, which is that almost all of his attacking options are bloody unsafe and he's a punish magnet. Playing him with an assist that covers him, Sentinel drones, Haggar assist or a multi hit beam assist (i.e not Magneto) is almost madatory.

Bizazedo

Karsticles said:
Skrull's Orbital Grudge has super armor. Personally, I think Skrull is the kind of character you need to devote the entire team to, which is why I would use Skrull/Sentinel/Haggar if Dormammu weren't in this game. I don't think there is a more perfect companion for Skrull than Haggar. I'm not sure what Magneto adds to the team beyond being Magneto.
I'm doing the same thing as you are and going through all the characters to try them out before vanilla ends (figured I might as well finish out and get 1000/1000 achieves) and agree totally.

Skrull seems like a lot of fun, but I can't fit him into any of my current teams. He definitely needs a team built around him it seems.

Uncle AJ

Last night was the first time I played random MvC3 online in about 7 months, and it'll probably be the last time ever. I went 50+ rounds with the same random guy, and I didn't want to quit because he kept pissing me off... playing Doom the way I want for actual combos doesn't work for shit online, the only way to win is to mash cr.L when you're close to hit-confirm into a combo. And never push a button after you finish blocking a combo - he's still going to mash and beat you to it.

6 hours later, I am now at work having gotten 0 hours of sleep. Fuck you, MvC3 online.

So, I played like 60 player matches with a Dante/Wesker/Akuma team last night (with my Sent/Doom/Haggar).

Maybe I was tired, but I thought I saw some things which were weird.

Does Dante's Hammer beat Lariat? I think it was beating it sometimes? Maybe I am crazy.

Does Dante's pillar swirling fire move thingy have invincibility on it on start up? I swear to god, I did Haggar's level 3 grab right next to him as he did that move, and it didn't grab him, then the swirling fire hit me.

Crazy stuffs. Man, I hate Dante's hitboxes, haha.

Dahbomb

Does Dante's Hammer beat Lariat? I think it was beating it sometimes? Maybe I am crazy.
Depends on when Dante activated his Hammer. If he activated it late while coming down on the Lariat then Haggar will get hit, if he does it too early then he himself will get hit by Lariat. Generally though Lariat > Hammer.

Does Dante's pillar swirling fire move thingy have invincibility on it on start up? I swear to god, I did Haggar's level 3 grab right next to him as he did that move, and it didn't grab him, then the swirling fire hit me.
Not that I know of. If it does it would be like Magneto's Magnetic Tempest all over again.

This certainly seems like something to check in the lab.

So after a long hiatus, umvc3 has piqued my interest back in this game. I last played a ryu/sent/spencer team, but after looking at the new trailers, rocket raccoon and hawkeye look pretty fun. rr/hawkeye/spencer looks like my new team, although I think nova could work on point as well.

i'm actually pretty excited to get back into this game.

Degen

kevo_huevo said:
So after a long hiatus, umvc3 has piqued my interest back in this game. I last played a ryu/sent/spencer team, but after looking at the new trailers, rocket raccoon and hawkeye look pretty fun. rr/hawkeye/spencer looks like my new team, although I think nova could work on point as well.

i'm actually pretty excited to get back into this game.
Word, guy that owns me for free with Honda.

I was ready to quit Marvel before Nemesis' picture was leaked. I looked up some Resident Evil 3 videos on Youtube and I knew he'd get super armor

Degen said:
Word, guy that owns me for free with Honda.

I was ready to quit Marvel before Nemesis' picture was leaked. I looked up some Resident Evil 3 videos on Youtube and I knew he'd get super armor

lol we gotta get some matches once umvc drops. im pretty sure you'll own me for free in this game.

shoutouts to super armor! i used to run a spencer/hulk/sent team and i copied this sick dhc glitch from a japanese player with spencer/hulk that was so gdlk!

seriously, being a honda main really messed with my play style in marvel. i always want to try to make safe reads and counters, but that is totally not how to play marvel.

edit: i mean it's difficult to be successful in mvc3 playing defensively and reactive, instead of trying to get your setups and unblockables to work.

Dahbomb said:
Depends on when Dante activated his Hammer. If he activated it late while coming down on the Lariat then Haggar will get hit, if he does it too early then he himself will get hit by Lariat. Generally though Lariat > Hammer.

Not that I know of. If it does it would be like Magneto's Magnetic Tempest all over again.

This certainly seems like something to check in the lab.

Just hit up practice mode. Yea, the Lariat stuff you said is right. Makes me think if I played Dante, I would jump in on lariat assist to bait, then double jump and do hammer back going down. I don't play Dante, don't know if that would be good.

From the swirling fire thing. It doesn't have invincibility. I don't know what happened in my match. I wish Marvel had replays, hehe. I do know Haggar was coming in after a death.

Maybe dude was still in block stun, or something something when I did level 3.

One thing I found out right now, I can air throw Dante out of the Hammer. Cool stuff. Never though about doing it. I am scared of that move, heh.

smurfx

get some go again
alright just got back into rank. haven't played in a while thanks to work. started off getting a 15 game win streak. i think i added close to 30 games but i'm not sure. i'm going to try and add 20 games everyday after i come home from work. i can't fall too far behind as the deadline is approaching.

shaowebb

Karsticles said:

Magneto would be there to add meter. Maybe some stuff for corner combos if anything. I guess he's just a toss in since my last ride in vanilla is a send off and I find myself actually getting air combos with the guy. In ultimate though I'm going with Skrull+ Rocket Raccoon with Log assist coverage. Definitely gonna end up with a Skrull team now...

Frantic said:

Christ that MODOK was beautiful. Seems top players of the guy build there entire strategy on luring you inside then doing moves that they can spam cubes under the body of for bounces and extensions that beef up his beam/shield power for heavier chip and mobility restriction. Pairing him with Drones is just evil since jamming bomb and drones means you have no mobility and he either gets the hit he needs or he can zip in for one of his MANY overheads.

He just controls space and your mobility options so well with his tools.

Royal Flush and this guy should hang out.

Frantic

shaowebb said:
Christ that MODOK was beautiful. Seems top players of the guy build there entire strategy on luring you inside then doing moves that they can spam cubes under the body of for bounces and extensions that beef up his beam/shield power for heavier chip and mobility restriction. Pairing him with Drones is just evil since jamming bomb and drones means you have no mobility and he either gets the hit he needs or he can zip in for one of his MANY overheads.

He just controls space and your mobility options so well with his tools.
One thing I learned from fighting that guy is that the usual gameplan for MODOK more or less conditions you into certain habits that MODOK can take advantage of. The main one is high/low mixups. MODOK really only has one low attack, while having tons of fast overhead options. Because of this, you pretty much get conditioned to block high EVERY time, so when he finally goes low it just takes you by surprise. You'll never know if MODOK is going to go for three, four, five, six overheads, or just go low. cr.H might be slow, but when you're expecting overheads, that fifteen frame normal seems way too fast... and if you DO block it, MODOK can jump cancel it and immediately j.L. Pushblock also doesn't really work on MODOK - he's too fast and will be in your face again in a flash. With Sent drones, he can be in your face just long enough to open you up. It also helps that MODOK has some of the best follow ups to an airthrow out of the entire cast. I think only Magneto and Viper's are better.

I've always felt MODOK could be high tier from the moment the game dropped, but after fighting that guy, I think he could potentially be a top tier character - he has more than enough tools to put him there... unfortunately, very few people actually play him. It doesn't help that he's one of the most execution heavy characters in the game. Maybe one day...

Frantic

Dahbomb said:
I don't think he is execution heavy... he is just completely unorthodox. It's like playing a character upside down.
For me, the execution barrier IS his unorthodox playstyle. I'm too used to the other cast that I just screw everything up whenever I try to play MODOK. Otherwise, yeah, he's not that execution heavy.

Dahbomb

It's one of those things where if you started playing the game with MODOK and always played with him you are fine but if not... you are mind fucked.

Azure J

sephi22 said:
Do we have a name for the OT yet?

I vote

I dunno if Enzo went with it, but I said "Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom 3 |OT| Nine Years/Ten Months Urleyyy."

The slash denotes and either/or situation. :p

Dahbomb

I proposed an OT title with something referring to MMX but there are mods who are MM fans and don't take lightly to MM trolling.

Bizazedo said:
I shouldn't be following it this closely, it hurts:(.

Also, due to new zoning teams, maybe it's time to retire Zero / Hulk / Wesker.
I'm not really paying that much attention. I'm just enjoying marvel 3 streams until the new game drops. I don't even know what characters I'm gonna use, besides not Dr. Strange.

Top Bottom