• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced (PC/XB1/PS4, 2017) [Update: Info In OP]

I-hate-u

Kamala better show up. Now that X-men and FF are out of the question, she is the only Marvel character I care for. She's up there in terms of popularity so there is no excuses.

Neoxon

I don't know anything about ms. Marvel, could someone give a quick breakdown?

I see a ton of hype for her but I'm not familiar.
Long story short, Kamala Khan is Pakistani-American (hailing from a Muslim household who takes their religion very seriously) who's a huge Carol Danvers fangirl & is probably one of the most lovable dorks in comics. After leaving a party she snuck out to (& instantly regretted), she was hit by the Terrigen Mist (which was a result of the Terrigen Cloud dropped by Black Bolt during the events of Infinity, but that's a whole other can of worms). Since Kamala had Inhuman DNA, she came out of Terrigenesis with new Inhuman powers. Now she can stretch her limbs, grow her size, & morph into the form of other people. Kamala also has a healing factor, but it doesn't work if she morphed into another person.

Over the years, she's protected her hometown of Jersey City, became one of the All-New All-Different Avengers (alongside Miles Morales, Kid Nova, Vision, Iron Man, Jane Foster Thor, & Sam Wilson Captain America), & is now one of the founding members of the new Champions team (which consists of her, Kid Nova, Miles Morales, Viv Vision, Amadeus Cho Hulk, Viv Vision, & Teen Cyclops).

The current Ms. Marvel is Kamala Khan, who debuted in 2013. She's a Pakistani-American teenager in New Jersey who got exposed to the Inhuman's Terrigen mists and developed Mr. Fantastic-esque shapeshifting powers. Now, she has to balance her superhero career and her relatively conservative Muslim upbringing.

She's also a huge dork who references memes like Doge in her thought bubbles and writes fan-fiction about the Avengers, the X-Men, and other Marvel superheroes. When she first meets Spider-Man, she talks about shipping him with Captain Marvel.

She's one of Marvel's most popular new characters in years.

Negaduck

Long story short, Kamala Khan is Pakistani-American who's a huge Carol Danvers fangirl. After leaving a party she snuck out to (& instantly regretted), she was hit by the Terrigen Mist (which was a result of the Terrigen Cloud dropped by Black Bolt during the events of Infinity, but that's a whole other can of worms). Since Kamala had Inhuman DNA, she came out of Terrigenesis with new Inhuman powers. Now she can stretch her limbs, grow her size, & morph into the form of other people. Kamala also has a healing factor, but it doesn't work if she morphed into another person.

Over the years, she's protected her hometown of Jersey City, became one of the All-New All-Different Avengers (alongside Miles Morales, Kid Nova, Vision, Iron Man, Jane Foster Thor, & Sam Wilson Captain America), & is now one of the founding members of the new Champions team (which consists of her, Kid Nova, Miles Morales, Viv Vision, Amadeus Cho Hulk, Viv Vision, & Teen Cyclops).

That's not the captain marvel they showed though right?

What's that character's (confirmed playable) deal?

Neoxon

No, the bio I gave you was for the new Ms. Marvel. Captain Marvel is Carol Danvers, who gained her powers from inadvertently gaining some Kree DNA from Mar-Vell (who saved her life). She started out being Ms. Marvel herself, but was inspired by Captain America to take up the name Captain Marvel after Mar-Vell died (who previously held the Captain Marvel name). Kamala Khan eventually took up the Ms. Marvel name after Carol left it vacant.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I hope Carol / Kamala have special intro dialogue when played together.

That is....good lord.

The meme stuff is small and goes away quickly. Kamala Kham is the most compelling cape character since Peter Parker.

This is the part that people pay attention to:

She's a Pakistani-American teenager in New Jersey who got exposed to the Inhuman's Terrigen mists and developed Mr. Fantastic-esque shapeshifting powers. Now, she has to balance her superhero career and her relatively conservative Muslim upbringing..

Carol Danvers got exposed to alien rays and developed energy-based powers. She originally took the mantle of Ms. Marvel, but more recently took the title of Captain Marvel when Marvel's original Captain Marvel died for the billionth time. She's an off-and-on member of the Avengers and is more famous than her predecessor.

Uh, I like her, but there's honestly not that much more to her. I think she's military, but I can't come up with anything else.

That is....good lord.

Say what you will about her, but she acts like many girls her age, and she's resonated with all sorts of comic fans, but especially the newer influx of younger, female comic fans.

I wouldn't constitute Gambit as bare minimum, he's not even an essential X-Man in recent years. He's more-or-less a relic of the 90's. A cool relic, sure, but a relic nonetheless.

I'd say he's only a relic of the 90s and an inessential X-Man because he's been treated like a Fox ban character, more or less since the first X-Men movie came out, well before the Fox ban was ever even a thing.

All it would take to make him super-relevant in the comics again is a good writer that likes him to be allowed to put him on team in a mainline book. I read that Cullen Bunn wanted to but was turned down for no good reason.

His 2012 solo series was actually a lot of fun and sold better than other recent X-Men solos, despite it receiving little promotion and Gambit being a non-entity everywhere else in the comics and media. He's still remembered by fans of the games fondly enough to be the most requested Marvel character pretty regularly. The character could easily be salvaged into an A-lister if someone in power simply gave a shit to do so, with or without a movie.

She's a goddamn MINORITY MENACE

Ahem. Imagine Mr. Fantastic's powers along with shapeshifting powers, packed in a teenage Muslim girl in New York. And a big ass dog. She's cool as fuck

This is Ms. Marvel:

3bc357662f0f60b99e701bfc2d7cdef1.jpg

I'm pretty sure the poster was referring to the Classic Ms. Marvel that was heavily requested for 3 in the polls that were posted.

EDIT: Agh, always too slow

Neoxon

I'd say he's only a relic of the 90s and an inessential X-Man because he's been treated like a Fox ban character, more or less since the first X-Men movie came out, well before the Fox ban was ever even a thing.

All it would take to make him super-relevant in the comics again is a good writer that likes him to be allowed to put him on team in a mainline book. I read that Cullen Bunn wanted to but was turned down for no good reason.

His 2012 solo series was actually a lot of fun and sold better than other recent X-Men solos, despite it receiving little promotion and Gambit being a non-entity everywhere else in the comics and media. He's still remembered by fans of the games fondly enough to be the most requested Marvel character pretty regularly. The character could easily be salvaged into an A-lister if someone in power simply gave a shit to do so, with or without a movie.
It's a damn shame, really. A lot can be done to make Gambit relevant, again, but Marvel just doesn't want to. And I did enjoy the 2012 solo series you mentioned.

I-hate-u

The current Ms. Marvel is Kamala Khan, who debuted in 2013. She's a Pakistani-American teenager in New Jersey who got exposed to the Inhuman's Terrigen mists and developed Mr. Fantastic-esque shapeshifting powers. Now, she has to balance her superhero career and her relatively conservative Muslim upbringing.

She's also a huge dork who references memes like Doge in her thought bubbles and writes fan-fiction about the Avengers, the X-Men, and other Marvel superheroes. When she first meets Spider-Man, she talks about shipping him with Captain Marvel.

She's one of Marvel's most popular new characters in years.

Not only awesome powers for intersting gameplay mechanics, but a potential 4th wall break character to fill in the lack of Deadpool

Marvel,
giphy.gif

I really hope all the special character interactions and tag in calls seen in UMVC3 are retained. It all really gave so much life and personality to that game.

My favorite will always be Spider-Man's quote against Viewtiful Joe ("Aw, ain't you just the cutest wittle thing~").

Neoxon

Not only awesome powers for intersting gameplay mechanics, but a potential 4th wall break character to fill in the lack of Deadpool

Marvel,
giphy.gif
I feel like She-Hulk or Gwenpool would be better-fit for being the token 4th-wall-breaker if Deadpool's gone.

That said, Ms. Marvel better be in the game. She's the only recent Inhuman who's gotten universal praise.

Weiss

Banned
Inhuman with stretching / growing powers
Carol Danvers fan
Super cute

The cutest.

Real talk, Ms. Marvel is the best comic by the Big Two right now. Anyone with even a passing interest in superheroes should read it.

I'm really hoping Kamala makes it in.

MoxManiac

Kamala's powers look cool. I'm all for her making an appearance.

There's nothing wrong with throwing the 90s fans a bone with Gambit, especially since it looks pretty bleak for Sentinel. If there is no ban, that is.

Negaduck

Thanks for the breakdown all. I always confused Ms marvel and Captain marvel.

:tup:

Wait.. .

Ms. Marvel is dhalsim?

Fuuuuuuuuccccck sorry I'd rock Sim/sigma in a heartbeat

It's a damn shame, really. A lot can be done to make Gambit relevant, again, but Marvel just doesn't want to. And I did enjoy the 2012 solo series you mentioned.

It wouldn't even be hard at all. People still love the idea of the character and the basic character design (wacky pink body armor and metal boots and all). He's got appeal that goes beyond comic fans, for sure.

I actually think that, in the unlikely event his movie both gets made and is actually good, there would be something of a rebirth of Gambit as a solo character, which is probably how he functions better, anyway. Marvel seems to have no problem capitalizing on the Fox movies to sell comics.

Neoxon

Thanks for the breakdown all. I always confused Ms marvel and Captain marvel.

:tup:

Wait.. .

Ms. Marvel is dhalsim?

Fuuuuuuuuccccck sorry I'd rock Sim/sigma in a heartbeat
I'd say Dhalsim + Super-Skrull who can grow to be as tall as COTA-94 Sentinel.

Just got back home. Anything new worth mentioning?

Long story short, Kamala Khan is Pakistani-American (hailing from a Muslim household who takes their religion very seriously) who's a huge Carol Danvers fangirl & is probably one of the most lovable dorks in comics. After leaving a party she snuck out to (& instantly regretted), she was hit by the Terrigen Mist (which was a result of the Terrigen Cloud dropped by Black Bolt during the events of Infinity, but that's a whole other can of worms). Since Kamala had Inhuman DNA, she came out of Terrigenesis with new Inhuman powers. Now she can stretch her limbs, grow her size, & morph into the form of other people. Kamala also has a healing factor, but it doesn't work if she morphed into another person.

Thanks for the summary, didn't know much about this "new" Ms. Marvel (no idea how much time has passed since she took Carol's prior name)

Bronx-Man

Banned
There's a very good chance Kamala makes it in since she's got a really big fanbase and has been in almost every Marvel game since 2014. All Capcom would even have to do is clone Super-Skrull or Dhalsim and call it a day.

Neoxon

In terms of legacy characters, Kamala Khan succeed in every way that Sam Alexander failed. It also helped that she didn't outright replace Carol Danvers, as she was still flying around as Captain Marvel (though I suppose Marvel's rectifying this by bringing Richard Rider back & making him Sam's mentor).

Mizerman

In terms of legacy, Kamala Khan succeed in every way that Sam Alexander failed. It also helped that she didn't outright replace Carol Danvers, as she was still flying around as Captain Marvel (though I suppose Marvel's rectifying this by bringing Richard Rider back & making him Sam's mentor).

Yeah, I didn't expect Kamala to take off like she did. I'm glad it happened though.

This is what gets me called a shill on EventHubs and GameFAQs, but here I go anyway:

I'm open minded. I grew up throughout the Vs series. I've played these games with and without assists.

I've seen the cycle of "It's not what I'm used to, I hate it" throughout MVC2-MVC3, and now it's starting all over again from UMVC3-MVCI.

All I'm saying is, stop acting like the sky is falling and give the game a chance. We all know full well that this isn't what the game is going to look like by the time we're up on GAF bitching about load/installation times. Stop panicking.

We've got people at the helm of this thing that have either given us our past classic Vs games, or people that have lived through them on the players' side of the fence (Combofiend).

I've never seen pre-release bitching that ended up being warranted. People whined about the control scheme changes in both TvC and MVC3, yet they didn't hurt the gameplay one bit. People whined about 1-frame links being taken out in SF5, and that's been one of the most welcome changes in the game.

Not having assists isn't the end of the world. Instead of griping that it's not what you're used to, try adapting to how things are going to be.

If you can't, UMVC3 is gonna be there.

tl;dr: Calm down, strap in, and just see what happens.

You guys kinda got me hyped about Ms. Marvel, and I know little about her except that she's Pakistani-American. She sounds adorkable, though, like an even more charming Peter Parker. I'm in on her getting a roster spot.

You guys kinda got me hyped about Ms. Marvel, and I know little about her except that she's Pakistani-American. She sounds adorkable, though, like an even more charming Peter Parker. I'm in on her getting a roster spot.

She's a good character and recent enough that you could read most of her stories in no time. In comparison, of course.

This is what gets me called a shill on EventHubs and GameFAQs, but here I go anyway:

I'm open minded. I grew up throughout the Vs series. I've played these games with and without assists.

I've seen the cycle of "It's not what I'm used to, I hate it" throughout MVC2-MVC3, and now it's starting all over again from UMVC3-MVCI.

All I'm saying is, stop acting like the sky is falling and give the game a chance. We all know full well that this isn't what the game is going to look like by the time we're up on GAF bitching about load/installation times. Stop panicking.

We've got people at the helm of this thing that have either given us our past classic Vs games, or people that have lived through them on the players' side of the fence (Combofiend).

I've never seen pre-release bitching that ended up being warranted. People whined about the control scheme changes in both TvC and MVC3, yet they didn't hurt the gameplay one bit. People whined about 1-frame links being taken out in SF5, and that's been one of the most welcome changes in the game.

Not having assists isn't the end of the world. Instead of griping that it's not what you're used to, try adapting to how things are going to be.

If you can't, UMVC3 is gonna be there.

tl;dr: Calm down, strap in, and just see what happens.
You've never seen pre-release bitching that was warranted?

How was MvC3 Sentinel on point?
How was DmC?
How was Breath of Fire 6?
Remember when I spent months bitching about how Bison was the worst character in SFV, and everyone told me to wait for release?

My bitching is always on point, sir.

PBalfredo

This is what I'm hoping for. A roster that embraces the 2v2 and creates lots of good duos with special dialogue. Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel teamup would be superb.

Also, Kamala should get it because of her powerset. Stretchiness: Good for videos games, bad for live-action.

Weiss

Banned
Now that I've had time to think about it, I am pretty okay with 2v2. MvC3 does get a little too crazy and I don't mind something a bit more subdued and easier to handle. MvC1 and TvC are kickass and at the end of the day MvC3 still exists.

I'm still not on board with no assists at all. Is there any positive to that at all? It feels like such a crucial aspect of MvC's identity to just completely remove it. Also it'd be nice if Baroque from TvC came back. I love that mechanic.

Wish we at least got MvC1 styled assist characters.

Why are we talking like ms marvel is confirmed. Did I miss something?

No, but I think she has a pretty solid chance. She's probably one of the most popular new characters in comics, and the only successful character in the Inhumans family.

How was DmC?
Remember when I spent months bitching about how Bison was the worst character in SFV, and everyone told me to wait for release?

We learned how to beat MVC3 Sentinel, and magically the complaining went away.

I didn't have a problem with DmC. It was a fun game.

I don't know. I've never played a BoF game in my life.

Bison wasn't bad during the beta phase. I was at the EVO where AlucarD went on a 100 game streak with Bison, even beating some Capcom employees.

Snap judgments don't always work. R. Mika was shit during the beta phase. Look at her now. People thought Nash was bad, look what happened.

You're not going to have a good objective point of view after seeing a minute of gameplay footage from a clearly unfinished build. Just wait.

Skab

How was DmC?

Gief spoiled that one for you.
Bison is decidedly mid tier anyway.

3/4 isn't bad though.

Top Bottom