• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

3 in October? alrighty.

Panther looks kinda bland but also exactly what I expected, I mean at the end of the day, you cnt do that much vriety with these slashy/punchy/kicky guys.

Sigm looks tall as fuck, also kinda what I expected tho with the ligh saber stuff.

Panther alt is dope, are there pictures of the Sigma alt?

Its X5 Sigma.

6a1fb29f9f1010c7b520f469b6eb8972.png

Skittles

What exactly is Sigma's Lvl3 supposed to be based on?
Mayybe his 3d forms in x2? I wish the budget was bigger so we could have crazier lvl 3s. Sigma, strange, and a few others could have had some batshit lvl 3s.

November for the last 3 with a season 2 announcement at psx is looking pretty possible. Keeps the game in peoples mind every month that way

Will watch the BP & Sigma trailer. But man the 'random gafs' are shitposting it already saying the content is on disc. And I can't counter them cause the fighters are technically in story mode and we have no idea if these fighters were already completed ;(

no thanks to the leaks I suspect these fighters were already completed and I got charged an extra $12 (BB GCU discount for Deluxe) on top of retail for them

But all salt aside I am glad I am getting Black Panther. I really wanted an Afro American character to play with, Part of reason I love spectating fighting games and sponser them is because its such a diverse esport. Most of the other esports are not diverse at all!!!!

Anyone who says the content is already on the disc is an absolute moron. Not only would that shit have been found already, character models =/= a complete character. Like, we already went through this with Kolin. You don't even have to know game development to understand this - it's straight up common sense.

Same thing with MKX characters that weren't playable - shit wasn't even done. And Baiken showing up in GG before her DLC release means she was already done, right? (I think that she was in the story mode before being playable, I really don't remember).

Sesha

3 in October? alrighty.

Panther looks kinda bland but also exactly what I expected, I mean at the end of the day, you cnt do that much vriety with these slashy/punchy/kicky guys.

Sigm looks tall as fuck, also kinda what I expected tho with the ligh saber stuff.

Panther alt is dope, are there pictures of the Sigma alt?

You can with BP. He's got a lot more they didn't take advantage of.

Sigmaah

They gave my boi X5 as an alt.

Real tears my niggas cause I love that costume for sigma.

I will be cracking out with him and BP because of that BP alt. He looks crazy.

Deff taking either a half day or full day off on the 17th that's for sure.

Dahbomb

Anyone defending the $8 price point should rightfully be labeled as a shill.

Capcom really deserves this flop tbh. The greed is overwhelming.

vg260

Anyone who says the content is already on the disc is an absolute moron. Not only would that shit have been found already, character models =/= a complete character. Like, we already went through this with Kolin. You don't even have to know game development to understand this - it's straight up common sense.

Same thing with MKX characters that weren't playable - shit wasn't even done. And Baiken showing up in GG before her DLC release means she was already done, right? (I think that she was in the story mode before being playable, I really don't remember).

Well, sure, they may not be "on-disc", and models being in the story has no relation to completeness in terms of gameplay, so they're off on that point. However, no one knows what state of completion they were in at release. The lesson Capcom learned from SFxT was just not to put the data on-disc, and that's all they really needed to do. Only the perception matters. Just present the image they are still working on them. Heck, if I was Capcom (or any other developer), I would try to get them done as soon as possible and just sit on them and keep the data out of the release files. Maybe they aren't 100% done, but launching a month after release means they had to be pretty darn close, or at least close enough to not feel good when the roster is small and weak.

JayEH

Like I’ve said capcom is always more interested in milking their (shrinking) dedicated fanbase than growing it.

jett

D-Member

Thinking about it, is it really greed when the game has sold like garbage and the userbase is tiny? They do need to recoup their investment you know. :p No doubt same mentality as ArcSys's.

This is a disaster that just keep on snowballing. I think I'm also losing interest in watching high-level Marvel play. It's like a shiny, flashy trinket that catches your attention for a while but then is easily discarded.

Sigmaah

I'd pay 8 bucks for sigma and you'd deff pay 8 bucks for Vergil.

Just saying :>

Sigmas VA is probably the best VA for this game so far besides my boy JYB and whoever plays Jedah.

HE SOUNDS SO SICK AND EVIL AHHHHH YESSSSS!!!!!

Trace

Banned
$8 is nuts per character. I'm happy I got the discounted Deluxe Edition when I did but with pricing like that it definitely won't be bringing in any new players looking to play the DLC.

FSLink

Banned
Thinking about it, is it really greed when the game has sold like garbage and the userbase is tiny? They do need to recoup their investment you know. :p No doubt same mentality as ArcSys's.

This is a disaster that just keep on snowballing. I think I'm also losing interest in watching high-level Marvel play. It's like a shiny, flashy trinket that catches your attention for a while but then is easily discarded.
Let's be fair, they absolutely decided on the price point long before they got word of the abysmal sales.

I think it is likely they were held back for DLC, however they better or worse budgeted the game in mind for that. And yeah people thinking they are on disc when there's no evidence lmao

Skittles

He could throw some vibranium daggers, and maybe he does. We haven't seen his full move set. It could even be a command normal like Gamora's.

Well, sure, they may not be "on-disc", and models being in the story has no relation to completeness in terms of gameplay, so they're off on that point. However, no one knows what state of completion they were in at release. The lesson Capcom learned from SFxT was just not to put the data on-disc, and that's all they really needed to do. Only the perception matters. Just present the image they are still working on them. Heck, if I was Capcom (or any other developer), I would try to get them done as soon as possible and just sit on them and keep the data out of the release files. Maybe they aren't 100% done, but launching a month after release means they had to be pretty darn close, or at least close enough to not feel good when the roster is small and weak.
Releasing a month after release means they were started right after the base roster was done about 4-5 months ago. They certainly werent in a good enough state to release 2 months ago when the game went gold. They would have only be in development for less than 2 months

JayEH

There's nothing to grow here, this game is dead.

I’m referrring to pre launch. Instead of the 6 dlc charcters being part of the base roster (which would have gotten them more sales no doubt) they decided to hold them back for dlc. Like c’mon they announced sigma and black panther as dlc before the full roster was revealed. They probably thought “oh man now everyone has to buy the deluxe edition because of these highly requested characters as dlc”. Instead most people have written off the game.

Greedy ass company.

jett

D-Member
I’m referrring to pre launch. Instead of the 6 dlc charcters being part of the base roster (which would have gotten them more sales no doubt) they decided to hold them back for dlc. Like c’mon they announced sigma and black panther as dlc before the full roster was revealed. They probably thought “oh man now everyone has to buy the deluxe edition because of these highly requested characters as dlc”. Instead most people have written off the game.

Well you know Capcom fucked themselves multiple times in all sorts of ways, that's just another one for the pile.

Dartastic

I should get the season pass. My problem is I don't know what platform to get it on. I play more on PC than PS4, but only because my PC has basically no lag due to it being on my monitor instead of my TV. But the PS4 is where more people play. Argghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :(

There's nothing to grow here, this game is dead.

Eh, I think it'll limp along through a lively competitive scene and costume dlc like Dead or Alive.

Or they may relaunch it as f2p and then the $8 per character price tag will make a lot more sense. They aren't going to go through all the trouble of acquiring the Marvel licence just to drop it though. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel pressures Capcom to go to a f2p model just because marvel's other f2p games have all done pretty well.

Dahbomb

You don't try to recoup a game by doubling up on the greed that put you in that the hole to begin with.

I'd pay 8 bucks for sigma and you'd deff pay 8 bucks for Vergil
You would pay $80 for Sigma, that's a terrible argument. And no I would not get Vergil for $8, I would much rather get the bundle.

FSLink

Banned

Greedy ass company.
They likely budgeted them as DLC in mind, the issue is Capcom is cheap af. :( They absolutely should have budgeted the game to have these guys in immediately.

vg260

Releasing a month after release means they were started right after the base roster was done about 4-5 months ago. They certainly werent in a good enough state to release 2 months ago when the game went gold. They would have only be in development for less than 2 months

How do you know they weren't started until after the base roster was done? Seems like an inefficient way to develop content. Surely some aspects were being worked on while the main game was still in development, even if just staggered behind the other characters.

Perception matters, and releasing a lackluster launch cast is definitely shitty, but developers, regardless of what happens either way, don't just start working on DLC right after the game goes gold. It's worked on throughout development. That's how it's been for literally everything.

What's the point of pretending like they are doing something different when it's logically impossible to cobble together three new characters after release? They'd get shitslammed for not being honest. Better to take it on the chin instead of outright lying to everyone and pretending they are holier than thou in this situation.

Let's be fair, they absolutely decided on the price point long before they got word of the abysmal sales.

I think it is likely they were held back for DLC, however they better or worse budgeted the game in mind for that. And yeah people thinking they are on disc when there's no evidence lmao

I don't disagree that they could have been. That's a decision a lot of developers/companies make during development. Red Hood may or may not have been ready to go but NRS could have said HOLD DAT. And that's fine, it's a business so whatever. As a consumer, you can pay for it or drop it if you don't support it. But the on disc stuff is so silly.

jett

D-Member
Eh, I think it'll limp along through a lively competitive scene and costume dlc like Dead or Alive.

Or they may relaunch it as f2p and then the $8 per character price tag will make a lot more sense. They aren't going to go through all the trouble of acquiring the Marvel licence just to drop it though. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel pressures Capcom to go to a f2p model just because marvel's other f2p games have all done pretty well.

DOA is f2p, so until that happens with this game that comparison is moot. I don't even know if F2P would matter much. Better than trying nothing I guess.

You don't try to recoup a game by doubling up on the greed that put you in that the hole to begin with.

Eh, looking at it financially Capcpom might as well cut their losses and squeeze the crazies out of their money. Really why should they give a shit.

Dahbomb

They should give a shit because this impacts them long term. Their next FG no matter how good it is is destined to do even worse because they shattered most of their good will.

This short term thinking is why they are in this current predicament.

Sigmaah

You would pay $80 for Sigma, that's a terrible argument. And no I would not get Vergil for $8, I would much rather get the bundle.

I'm not defending it for sure but if they didn't have a bundle you'd pay 8 bucks for a fact. I would too. It's no doubt a bad decision on pricing but like I've always said. I'll take what I can get especially if it's for a character I love.

jett

D-Member
They should give a shit because this impacts them long term. Their next FG no matter how good it is is destined to do even worse because they shattered most of their good will.

This short term thinking is why they are in this current predicament.

their next fighting game, i lol'd

vg260

Perception matters, and releasing a lackluster launch cast is definitely shitty, but developers, regardless of what happens either way, don't just start working on DLC right after the game goes gold. It's worked on throughout development. That's how it's been for literally everything.

Yeah, that's what I mean..maybe we're saying the same thing then.

What's the point of pretending like they are doing something different when it's logically impossible to cobble together three new characters after release? They'd get shitslammed for not being honest. Better to take it on the chin instead of outright lying to everyone and pretending they are holier than thou in this situation.

Yeah, there's no real way to win in terms of presenting DLC. Companies need to get it out soon after the game launch when interest is highest.

I generally get how you have to do it, but when the base game feels lacking like it does in this case, I just wish they would have reallocated to make the base game more attractive, because that makes a big difference in perception.

Sesha

like what? Outside of using Dora Milaje as assist-type moves like Ultron I guess?

That, and vibranium daggers and spear, Wakandan technology like his teleportation device, cloaking, hard light shield and more, and necromancy. He's also got some shock tech built into his gauntlets that can stun and daze an opponent.

If they didn't learn their lesson from the colossal failure that was Street Fighter X Tekken (missed opportunity on the scale of Batman V Superman) then they're just gonna keep repeating this nonsense. I'm glad I bought the Deluxe Edition to save some bucks but I don't blame anyone for sticking their nose up at the DLC and the game as a whole if this is what they consider a sensible business plan.

If they want this game to live as a Service-based product going forward, with THAT price for individual characters, then they need to drop the game to like $29.99 MSRP by the end of the year or something. Otherwise they're just limiting the potential even more.

DOA is f2p, so until that happens with this game that comparison is moot. I don't even know if F2P would matter much. Better than trying nothing I guess.

Well, it worked with DOA5 which also had pretty horrible sales and transitioned to an F2P model which allowed it to recover and start making a profit. I don't see how that wouldn't be the case with Marvel which has major IPs attached to it (but fewer waifus to sell bikinis which probably balances it out)

VariantX

If they didn't learn their lesson from the colossal failure that was Street Fighter X Tekken (missed opportunity on the scale of Batman V Superman) then they're just gonna keep repeating this nonsense. I'm glad I bought the Deluxe Edition to save some bucks but I don't blame anyone for sticking their nose up at the DLC and the game as a whole if this is what they consider a sensible business plan.

If they want this game to live as a Service-based product going forward, with THAT price for individual characters, then they need to drop the game to like $29.99 MSRP by the end of the year or something. Otherwise they're just limiting the potential even more.

This would be the bare Minimum of what needs to be done.

brian!

I was kind of thinking, since they're aping arcsys prices, that maybe this is somehow optimal pricing for a game that puts out numbers like mvci did? I dunno if arcsys does season pass tho, that def puts the a la carte prices in a more negative light for me, especially since they are pairing it 3 characters dropping at the same time, which is prob the optimal number to convince ppl to buy the pass without seeing the rest of the characters they are paying for. Def reeks of profit maximization, which is their perogative but prob not the best move for a game with poor press to begin with.

Sigmaah

Tbh unless they release a new mahvel, I don't think I'll need another FG from capcom. I honestly really lucked out with this game. Now gimme more chars and we lit bruh!

patchday

Well I mainly meant the pro players for fighting games tend to be very diverse. A lot of other esports are not quite as diverse too me

They're going to keep the game full price until after the holidays. There's literally no financial reason for them to lower the price before then.

I'll expect 50% discounts all over the place after that though.

Top Bottom