• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

I feel pretty confident saying the active tag and counter tag are probably the best mechanics put into a fighting game in a long time. It's just insane how dynamic matches can get.

If you still have that pre order dlc code I'll take it since I got hosed on mine. On the off chance capcom bro's up and sends me one I'll pass it forward.

kirblar

Could it be because Taito is handling the Arcade distribution of SFV and they're a subsidary of Square Enix?
Don't think that's it, these were the pre-release credits where we first saw it, and Arcade Edition was a loooong ways off. (And probably not happening for MvCI)

Seeing the chat's reaction to WNF changing from MVCI to SFV took me back to 2011 all over again.

"SF? Fuck this, I'm out."
"When's Marvel? SF is ass."

Like, that's exactly how it was when MVC3 was usually being relieved for SF4 back in the day, lol.

Sesha

Game was developed in house, but Capcom has outsourced modelling before and did that with SFV.

Design work and programming was done in-house. While they had animators, artists and modelers from in-house, I expect most of the art and animation grunt work to have been out-sourced. But I doubt any one outsourcing company was to blame. Usually outsourcing doesn't mean lower quality. There's little difference between in-house and outsourced grunt work. Most skilled modelers, artists and animators can do the same work more or less. If the work done was bad, then Capcom was being cheap, not doing sufficient oversight or not having given sufficient direction.

Durden77

I feel pretty confident saying the active tag and counter tag are probably the best mechanics put into a fighting game in a long time. It's just insane how dynamic matches can get.

"How can we make the most choatic and insane fighting game even more insane?"

"Let them do literally whatever the fuck they want."

"Ok!"

Yup, it's pretty awesome.

Ryce

Even with outsourcing there's lots of internal supervision and touch-ups and the like, and all of the characters are initially conceptualized by Capcom. The final versions of the characters look and animate the way that they do because that's how Capcom wanted them. It's not like people from all over the globe are independently creating the characters and throwing them into a pot unchecked. This isn't Mugen.

Concerning animation, I think the characters are pretty consistent. If I didn't play MvC3 then I honestly wouldn't be able to tell which animations are old and which are new. All of the returning characters have some new normals and specials, and they're animated in the same style as their old moves.

kirblar

The imports from MvC3 are the clear issue in the game because they were originally built around the heavy ink shader that's no longer in the game. The animations look fine, but the models are mostly bad unless they were heavily stylized (like Zero.)

Blueblur1

Don't think that's it, these were the pre-release credits where we first saw it, and Arcade Edition was a loooong ways off. (And probably not happening for MvCI)
I believe Square Enix did the cutscenes for SFV's Cinematic Story Mode; that's the word that was going around last year. I'd assume they probably did them for MvCI as well.

mas8705

I'd like to think the changes in the gameplay (not counting infinity stones or the 2v2) were a change for the better in the series. While UMvC3 was always hype, the problem for the game started to show itself brightly when you can literally beat out your opponent in three combos. Some are more complicated than others of course, but to the newcomer, it can feel daunting to watch a combo that goes on for 20 to 30 seconds at a time where if you get hit, you're going to get combo'd to death. As such, the idea of making it where assist just freely tag in and out rather than just a quick assist and falling back to safety. Here now, if you decide to tag in, you're setting up a commitment to either make something work or risk getting both characters beaten down because you tagged in at the wrong time. That and the idea that characters can't just take out a life bar now in one long combo with the system set up (or at least it has not been discovered yet)

Sooo... I know this is touched upon in the OP, but for those of us that are terrible at fighting games and their friends are as well, but inexplicably kinda like fighting games, are folks in a similiar boat as that having a good time with this?

Dahbomb

Sooo... I know this is touched upon in the OP, but for those of us that are terrible at fighting games and their friends are as well, but inexplicably kinda like fighting games, are folks in a similiar boat as that having a good time with this?
If you are playing with your friends then this is hell of a good time.

If you are trying to climb the ladder then you are going to get worked like most fighting games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
netcode test games with T.O.P turned into a 10-9 FT10 lol, this fucking game just makes you want to hit that rematch button.

GGs dude, that sure was a lot of fun (except when you get thrown around silly and you want to kill yourself but thats marvel for you lol). Netcode was fantastic aswell (portugal-italy this time, so it seems at least europe vs europe it holds up)

Really liking Thor / Rider as my second team, but im terrible and need to learn more. Hopefully some of those characters you were using grow on you since you said earlier you were having a hard time finding characters you liked.

If you are playing with your friends then this is hell of a good time.

If you are trying to climb the ladder then you are going to get worked like most fighting games.

this.

hawk2025

This is me.

I'm terrible, but I buy a good number of fighters because they are fun.

This year I've bought Injustice, Tekken, KoF, and this game.

MvC is my favorite of the bunch.

Did anyone else notice Chris fighting the symboite monster in the background during that fight against Symbiote Spidey in Story Mode? Lmao it looked hilarious!

mas8705

Did anyone else notice Chris fighting the symboite monster in the background during that fight against Symbiote Spidey in Story Mode? Lmao it looked hilarious!

Honestly considering the number of giant abominations that Chris and other RE characters have had to put up with, it would make sense that he would be the best at stalling it.
Even though it was Chris's stupidity that led to Spidey getting taken over by the Symbiote to begin with and having Frank of all people free him by setting off a car alarm.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

they really need to add that stage and the valkanda boss stages. And the wrecked dr light stage also. basically any stage that is in the story and isnt selectable >_>

theres like 4 or 5? Also that warehouse stage from the start of AIMbrella chapter. I mean its ugly but its one more lol. Its also very static for those that care about those things, better that the training one >_>

Drayco21

I haven't had a fighting game get its hooks in me like this since Marvel 3; all day at work yesterday, I was feeling the twitch to get home and get back to getting rekt online- getting ready for work now, and all I can think about is how easy it would be to just call off and spend all day playing mahvel.

Nephtes

Remember all that good stuff I said about the netcode?
I take it back.

I just had back to back ranked matches (with the same guy because the game match made me with him/her twice) that were a God awful slide show.
And that was specifying a 5 for connection!

WTF?

Pompadour

Seeing the chat's reaction to WNF changing from MVCI to SFV took me back to 2011 all over again.

"SF? Fuck this, I'm out."
"When's Marvel? SF is ass."

Like, that's exactly how it was when MVC3 was usually being relieved for SF4 back in the day, lol.

I wonder if the opposite happens in Japanese streams.

Sheroking

I take it back.

I just had back to back ranked matches (with the same guy because the game match made me with him/her twice) that were a God awful slide show.

WTF?

The problem with the connection bar thing is that almost every fighting game has it so it only sees a snippet of the connection. If you're playing a guy on WiFi, his connection is going to be inconsistent. You may see 5 bars, but have a connection that bounces between 1 and 5 throughout.

The netcode in this game is good. Most 4 bar matches feel basically offline calibre. But just like Injustice 2, sometimes you're going to get fooled into a bad one because the person you're playing has a jittery connection or is on WiFi.

kirblar

I take it back.

WTF?
Until they put in a "WiFi warning" like in IJ2 this'll happen.

Dartastic

Is there a list for all Gaf PC players?
I'm gonna be on PS4 and PC. My steam name should be either Dart533 or Dartastic.
I haven't had a fighting game get its hooks in me like this since Marvel 3; all day at work yesterday, I was feeling the twitch to get home and get back to getting rekt online- getting ready for work now, and all I can think about is how easy it would be to just call off and spend all day playing mahvel.

Nephtes

The problem with the connection bar thing is that almost every fighting game has it so it only sees a snippet of the connection. If you're playing a guy on WiFi, his connection is going to be inconsistent. You may see 5 bars, but have a connection that bounces between 1 and 5 throughout.

The netcode in this game is good. Most 4 bar matches feel basically offline calibre. But just like Injustice 2, sometimes you're going to get fooled into a bad one because the person you're playing has a jittery connection or is on WiFi.

I mean I had nothing but flawless matches online yesterday...
Today is a different story.

I can't say I've seen an online fighter chug so hard till today.
It was easily the most still frame online fight I've ever experienced. Ever.
And I played during launches of SFIV and SFV.

I mean we're talking 15 seconds of nothing happening, then 5 seconds of action, and then another 20 seconds of nothing happening...all fight.
Two matches in a row.

And he was using the autocombo nonsense and took the match. I couldn't connect a combo to save my life.

Active tag is what is gonna keep this game from getting stale. People are discovering insane Ghost Rider and Nemesis combos. Two characters people didn't give a shit about are all of a sudden going up in tier placement cuz of active tag.

they really need to add that stage and the valkanda boss stages. And the wrecked dr light stage also. basically any stage that is in the story and isnt selectable >_>

theres like 4 or 5? Also that warehouse stage from the start of AIMbrella chapter. I mean its ugly but its one more lol. Its also very static for those that care about those things, better that the training one >_>
You'll get them eventually but be prepared to pay for them...

Top Bottom