• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

Tripon

Too many graphics whores bitching about how it looked.

Have you guys seen MvC2? That game is *hideous.* Mismatched sprites from various sources, incongruent and bizarre 3D backgrounds, loud garish colors, weird nu-jazz OST...

MvC:I has a smaller cast, on a more powerful console with an experienced staff that worked on those previous MvC games. MvC2 had the largest cast possible and was clearly trying to be an 'all star game' where they crammed as much as possible with the resources they had because they couldn't create a whole roster full of characters.

They still made Son Son, Cable, Amingo, Jill Valentine, Hayato Kanzaki, Ruby Heart, Marrow, Tronn Bone, and Servbots and Abyss as new sprites. That's 10 new characters they created from scratch. Those 10 characters were created despite Capcom could have chosen to find 10 more characters with premade sprites to put in the game. They instead put in the development time and money to do so.

MvC:I also ported most of their cast from UMvC3, and still has a smaller cast. The only new characters of the initial cast are Captain Marvel, Gamora, Ultron, Jedah, and X. That's 6.

Now, DLC will bring all new characters in Black Panther, Black Widow, Winter Soldier, Sigma, and Monster Hunter, and Venom, but that's still just 12 and potentially a year after release.

It's a different service model, but even then, Capcom chose to go with a smaller cast and less new characters for MvC:I.

Sephzilla

Doubt it, Evo seems to give preference to Marvel.

Infinite will probably get the time slot before SFV for a few years to come.

I wonder what Infinite's EVO turnout will be like given that Marvel 3's turnout has been on a nosedive for a while now

Dyle

They're going to have to sell a lot of reproduction carts of SFII to make up for that

Hopefully Capcom will be able to get their act together and start supporting the Switch and stop screwing up all their promotional campaigns. I would totally jump on the Disney Afternoon and Megaman collections. Good for Pokken, maybe by some miracle we'll see it return to Evo next year
along with Arms

sibarraz

Banned
SF5 significantly under performed compared to SF4.

T7 sold more than what its previous entry sold iirc.

T7 also has the vast majority of its profits come from the arcades. SF5 has no such luck.

Tekken sold slightly less than TT2 on its first week and saw a 50% drop compared with Tekken 6.

Fighting Games are not that hot in Japan

PantsuJo

It's going to become the new standard for how all anime/comic based games should look, at last it they're going for the cartoony look (in contrast to In Justice's realistic art style)

Capcom will have to step things up significantly next time. I think it's been understated how much of a drop in art style quality their fighting games had in the transition to 3D. Their old CPS2 stuff all had an identifiable, unique and gorgeous look to them
Big part of the current Capcom problem, I'd say. Totally agree.

I simply can't accept their designs, anymore.

BiggNife

Is Pokkén actually any good?

Yes. It's easily one of the most underrated fighters of the past few years. Super accessible with plenty of depth.

Now looking back at it, SFV, didn't bomb at all it's just people were overestimating it, and funny how when Tekken 7 got almost the same numbers despite being on 3 systems, everyone was horray T7 is selling well despite it being a bigger franchise than SF.

It's all about expectations.

SF4 sold 3.4 million, not counting Super/AE/Ultra. SFV has sold 1.5, which isn't bad, but a bit below the 2 million threshold that Capcom was trying to hit.

Meanwhile, Tekken 7 is selling on par with Tekken 6, I think maybe slightly more.

I wonder what Infinite's EVO turnout will be like given that Marvel 3's turnout has been on a nosedive for a while now

If UMvC3 numbers are so low, I can see them swapping UMvC3 for MvCi. It's won't be a Smash situation where 2 games in the series are represented because the numbers just won't support it.

Ridley327

Lmfao is that really in the game? Without the wrestling guy, ofc

Yep, that's in-game. They did a wonderful job capturing the personality of each Pokémon. Even the "pairs" like Pikachu/Pikachu Libre and Mewtwo/Shadow Mewtwo have their own separate identities and don't look and play remotely similar.

If you're a fan of the anime, Pokken's presentation is what you've been waiting for all these years.

Marcel

I'd be ok with an enhanced port of Power Stone 1, Rival Schools and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. ��

You better be ready to to donate some big money to Capcom to untangle the complicated legal and licensing web for those Tatsunoko characters. I don't think they can toss money like that around anymore.

Tripon

Cross posting

Media Create Sales: 9/18/17 – 9/24/17
[PS4] Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (Capcom, 09/21/17) – 8,273 (New)

Media Create charts, February 14-20, 2011
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (PS3) – 67,187 – NEW
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (360) – 13,779 – NEW

2nd week sales for MvC3
19. Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of the Two Worlds (PS3, Capcom) - 14,821 [total - 82,008]

11/14/11 - 11/20/11
[PS3] 10. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Capcom, 11/11/17): 22,436 -- NEW

Note: MvC3 and UMvC3 was sold in the same fiscal year, so people probably wasn't happy buying an update within 12 months of each other. The update still sold more 3X times than what Infinite did.

HotHamBoy

MvC:I also ported most of their cast from UMvC3, and still has a smaller cast. The only new characters of the initial cast are Captain Marvel, Gamora, Ultron, Jedah, and X. That's 6.

Now, DLC will bring all new characters in Black Panther, Black Widow, Winter Soldier, Sigma, and Monster Hunter, and Venom, but that's still just 12 and potentially a year after release.

It's a different service model, but even then, Capcom chose to go with a smaller cast and less new characters for MvC:I.

This is my biggesy issue with MvC:I, honestly. I guess on one hand you could argue that reserving most of the new character for DLC helped them get the game out faster. Ultimately it feels like a dirty, cheap cop-out. They wanted to keep pre-release development time as short as possible so they could start getting returns asap. This is the exact same mentality they had with SFV but this time they managed to release feature-complete.

Capcom is being terribly mismanaged from the top. Give devs the time they need to make a quakity, polished product.

ec0ec0

Have you guys seen MvC2? That game is *hideous.* Mismatched sprites from various sources, incongruent and bizarre 3D backgrounds, loud garish colors, weird nu-jazz OST...

lol, ok

let's see how you defend the game costing 60$, yet it only coming with 2 new capcom characters, and 4 marvel ones, with the rest of the roster being recycled from mvc3. And even then, a huge portion of the (ultimate) mvc3 roster is mising.

Do you want another new 6 characters? Pay 30 more, for a total of 90$ for just 12 new characters.

I guess that people complaining about that was also undeserved /s

SgtCobra

Let this be a lesson for Capcom not to botch up their well loved franchises like this, I can only fear of what will become of DMC.

hey capcom, hows that switch support doing for u?
It has a lot more to do with the product itself being unappealing as shit if anything.

VariantX

I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing even more "enhanced" ports of older games like USF2 instead.

I have no problem with that. I have a problem when they charge $40 for it though. I'm 100% sure at this point, the people at the very top at Capcom are fucking things up for everyone else who have to work there. Seems like some the boneheaded decisions made with this game and others, don't come from the people who are close to it like the community managers or the developers.

BadWolf

This is my biggesy issue with MvC:I, honestly. I guess on one hand you could argue that reserving most of the new character for DLC helped them get the game out faster.

Nah, I'd say it's pretty clear as this point that the DLC characters were mostly just held back to be sold separately.

The timing of the Monster Hunter reveal makes this very apparent.

They pulled the same shit with RE7 DLC.

HotHamBoy

lol, ok

let's see how you defend the game costing 60$, yet it only coming with 2 new capcom characters, and 4 marvel ones, with the rest of the roster being recycled from mvc3. And even then, a huge portion of the (ultimate) mvc3 roster is mising.

Do you want another new 6 characters? Pay 30 more, for a total of 90$ for just 12 new characters.

It's difficult for me to see fighting games that way. It's an entirely new fighting system.

Fighting games have been recycling assets forever. How many new Blazblue characters release in each $50-60 entry? GG Revelator had a handful, that was $60. SNK released new games annually with only a couple new characters.

SFV also only had a few new characters in its 16 character roster and it also recycled a lot of animations from the SF4 series. It had a smaller roster and noticeably fewer features than MvC:I and it cost $60 and went on to sell 1 million copies in its launch month on just PS4 and PC.

Marcel

We'd all be better off if Capcom pulled a Lucasfilm and liquidated its IP and catalogue to companies that actually give a damn.

I'd rather they do an SNK style rebranding of their products where the re-earning the respect of longtime fans and respecting the important history of their titles is put at the forefront.

BiggNife

MvC2 came out in 2000

At that point, the absolutely massive cast (far more than any Capcom game previously) and the ridiculously bombastic gameplay (much faster and more chaotic than MvC1 and the games before it) blew people away. It wasn't really until a few years removed that MvC2 would be constantly criticized for its asset reuse and ugly 3D, because at that point the magic had worn off.

So comparing MvC2 to MvCI really isn't fair on any metric

cordy

Banned
Now looking back at it, SFV, didn't bomb at all it's just people were overestimating it, and funny how when Tekken 7 got almost the same numbers despite being on 3 systems, everyone was horray T7 is selling well despite it being a bigger franchise than SF.

SF5 significantly under performed compared to SF4.

T7 sold more than what its previous entry sold iirc.

T7 also has the vast majority of its profits come from the arcades. SF5 has no such luck.

BadWolf is right.
SF4 was the exception of the norm and everyone knows why, it's nothing to base the sales on, overall Tekken sold more than SF and the bigger franchise on consoles.

Yall say this now but there's been numerous times where people have stated that "Tekken has been eclipsed by SF since the SFIV hit" and you can check some of the previous sales threads to see this. People always say "SF is more popular than Tekken these days" but when a negative comes out they say "but Tekken's the most popular franchise so of course-" right after. I'm not saying you but it's a common trend I see.

Ex-Psych

At this point of time I'd think Capcom would have bragged if Infinite sold very well in the US.

So while we still don't know if it bombed, it certainly didn't blow expectations.

Heroman

Banned

Graphic whore?
It not my fought for wanting a aaa fight game to you know not look like shit. Especially when compared to other fighting games.

Kashiwaba

BadWolf is right.

Yall say this now but there's been numerous times where people have stated that "Tekken has been eclipsed by SF since the SFIV hit" and you can check some of the previous sales threads to see this. People always say "SF is more popular than Tekken these days" but when a negative comes out they say "but Tekken's the most popular franchise so of course-" right after. I'm not saying you but it's a common trend I see.

Tekken sold 45.6 mils and SF 38 mils, i don't care what some fanboys on a forum say Tekken is the bigger franchise and it did it in a shorter time.

ec0ec0

The diference being that tekken 7 was very profitable in the arcades for multiple years (most profitable arcade tekken release i have read?) before also releasing on console, while street fighter 5 didn't have an arcade release.

BadWolf

It's difficult for me to see fighting games that way. It's an entirely new fighting system.

Fighting games have been recycling assets forever. How many new Blazblue characters release in each $50-60 entry? GG Revelator had a handful, that was $60. SNK released new games annually with only a couple new characters.

SFV also only had a few new characters in its 16 character roster and it also recycled a lot of animations from the SF4 series. It had a smaller roster and noticeably fewer features than MvC:I and it cost $60 and went on to sell 1 million copies in its launch month on just PS4 and PC.

KOFXIV's base roster has 17 characters new to the series (yeah, more than the entire launch roster of SFV).

12 of those 17 are brand new characters.

HotHamBoy

Graphic whore?
It not my fought for wanting a aaa fight game to you know not look like shit. Especially when compared to other fighting games.

Well KOF 14 looks arguably worse (especially at launch) and did pretty respectably.

KOFXIV's base roster has 17 characters new to the series.

12 of those 17 are brand new characters.

Yeah, and KOF14 is a fucking treasure. I'm not arguing that.
God damn, I wish they'd kept those sprites from 13, though.

Like, I'm actually saying I would have preferred if they'd recycled those assets for 14 and just added to the roster.

It's unfortunate that the best solution we'll probably get is the option to pay even more money to get up to a passable cast.
I don't have an issue with DLC characters but it's frustrating when it seems pretty clear they stuffed the base roster with MCU and shit no one will pay for, with a few exceptions

Gartooth

I doubt US sales can save the game at this point, but hopefully it sells enough to save the IP. Im impressed that Capcom made a "Marvel fighting game" a toxic product in the year 2017.

Kashiwaba

The diference being that tekken 7 was very profitable in the arcades for multiple years (most profitable arcade tekken release i have read?) before also releasing on console, while street fighter 5 didn't have an arcade release.

So how does that matter for consoles sales? It's like saying SFV is doing great cuz it's the best performing fighting games on Esports. At the end none of them matters when it comes to how much it sold.

Marcel

I doubt US sales can save the game at this point, but hopefully it sells enough to save the IP. Im impressed that Capcom made a Marvel fighting game in 2017 a toxic product.

It's less impressive when you consider how they botched the fifth entry of their flagship fighting game.

andymcc

Banned
Probably not. It'll sell slightly better than a normal Arcsys game and then disappear like normal after 2-3 months.

Can I point out that Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2 sells way more than a normal Arcsys game, more than MVC3 and say expect that level of sales at the very minimum?

The Morrigan sprite joke started there, people derided the graphics back then. The fun mechanics meant no one cared.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not surprised. Even if the game was a complete package, Marvel as a fighting game series is not popular in Japan.
This doesn't make sense. MVC traditionally sell a lot better than. Even niche fighting games and new ip sell better than this.

This is literal bottom of the barrel sales.

Top Bottom