• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

Heroman

Banned
Well KOF 14 looks arguably worse (especially at launch) and did pretty respectably.

Yeah, and KOF14 is a fucking treasure. I'm not arguing that.
God damn, I wish they'd kept those sprites from 13, though.
Well kof wasnt done by aaa studio and didn't come out in between injustice and dbz fighters.

Sesha

Not the character in the second row that hasn't even got a film yet? Or Gamora in the back that looks nothing like Gamora from the films?

Marvel is pushing Carol hard, and Gamora is the only other female character from the Marvel side.

warp_

Banned
I don't have an issue with DLC characters but it's frustrating when it seems pretty clear they stuffed the base roster with MCU and shit no one will pay for, with a few exceptions
The idea of DLC does not bother me when it is added to a game, I agree. But when you have a title like MVCI that feels incomplete from the start it is a bit grating.

Not surprised. Even if the game was a complete package, Marvel as a fighting game series is not popular in Japan.
And yet MVC3 sold over 8x more it's first week in Japan. This is beyond a case of "Marvel as a fighting games series is not popular".

BiggNife

Can I point out that Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2 sells way more than a normal Arcsys game, more than MVC3 and say expect that level of sales at the very minimum?

Yeah. Anecdotally I know plenty of people who had zero interest in ArcSys games previously but are super excited for DBFZ because of how good the visuals look. DBFZ is the first DBZ game to actually live up to the childhood dream of playing a DBZ game that looks exactly like the anime.

It's going to sell boatloads, and absolutely eclipse Xrd/BB.

FiveSide

Banned
Posted in the other thread but I'll reiterate here:

Capcpom stays losing and they honestly deserve the L. This entire generation has been nothing but failure and mistakes for them that they still apparently aren't learning from.

Resident Evil 7? Their biggest game of the gen was neither a mistake nor a failure, it was a possible GOTY in a year stacked with excellent games, and a landmark title for VR. Plus a great return to form for survival horror RE.

Between Lawbreakers and MvCI, the blatant schadenfreude at poor commercial performances nowadays is absurd. Say what you will about the presentation, the marketing, and the roster, but Capcom put out a very competent fighter, mechanically sound, well-balanced, and well-received by the people who played it instead of snickered at it from the sidelines. It's not the best fighter I've ever played, but it's a great game and a worthy successor to the earlier entries in the franchise.

I truly believe these developers made the best game they could given the budget they had to work with, and the limitations imposed by Marvel executives. We should celebrate the fact that the game is surprisingly good, not the fact that it predictably bombed.

Pokken is also a fun game and I'm glad to see it's doing well. With a second entry and some mechanical refinements, it could become a great Nintendo fighting-game counterpart to Smash.

RM8

I don't have a problem with fighting games working with lower budgets. But then you have KOFXIV and it's massive roster, that makes up for the less impressive look (and honestly it'd look great if not for some unfortunate models, not because of a lack of fancy effects). Actually, I'd like it if the standard budget for fighters was lower so we could have more experimentation, and less safe sequels and reliance on first parties.

Weebos

Banned
Not a fighting game fan at all, but from the outside looking in it seems like Capcom has been face planting a lot recently.

Seems like the time is ripe for a challenger to the "throne"?

andymcc

Banned
Yeah. Anecdotally I know plenty of people who had zero interest in ArcSys games previously but are super excited for DBFZ because of good the visuals look. DBFZ is the first DBZ game to actually live up to the childhood dream of playing a DBZ game that looks exactly like the anime.

It's going to sell boatloads, and absolutely eclipse Xrd/BB.

Same. Lots of my friends that only play Smash or MK have been hyping the shit out of DBFZ.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The overwhelmingly negative response to the game leading up to its release really killed it.

Expectations for games are very high these days, and fighting games have actually become a very competitive genre again.

Games also tend to be very carefully designed around what users are asking due to this competition and the ease with which data can be collected these days.

At some point Capcom is going to have to reflect on the reality of the market they're competing in, and that applies to more than just fighting games.

Not a fighting game fan at all, but from the outside looking in it seems like Capcom has been face planting a lot recently.

Basically every other fighting game provider is already selling better than them at this point, and they're reviewing similarly or better too. The only metric by which they're doing well is EVO sign-ups.

BadWolf

Which throne?

MK and Injustice have been selling way more than Capcom fighters already.

30 years from now...

infinite_crap6hspq.jpg

cordy

Banned
Tekken sold 45.6 mils and SF 38 mils, i don't care what some fanboys on a forum say Tekken is the bigger franchise and it did it in a shorter time.

You're misunderstanding me.

Everybody knows Tekken has sold overall more than SF overall, no one's debating that. What I'm saying is there's always those who say "well but Tekken got most of it's sales in the 90s and since SFIV hit SF's always sold more compared to Tekken entries and SF is more popular these days" in response to that which is why when these threads come up people bring up Tekken's name to spin their narrative.

MvC2 came out in 2000

At that point, the absolutely massive cast (far more than any Capcom game previously) and the ridiculously bombastic gameplay (much faster and more chaotic than MvC1 and the games before it) blew people away. It wasn't really until a few years removed that MvC2 would be constantly criticized for its asset reuse and ugly 3D, because at that point the magic had worn off.

So comparing MvC2 to MvCI really isn't fair on any metric

MvC:I has a smaller cast, on a more powerful console with an experienced staff that worked on those previous MvC games. MvC2 had the largest cast possible and was clearly trying to be an 'all star game' where they crammed as much as possible with the resources they had because they couldn't create a whole roster full of characters.

They still made Son Son, Cable, Amingo, Jill Valentine, Hayato Kanzaki, Ruby Heart, Marrow, Tronn Bone, and Servbots and Abyss as new sprites. That's 10 new characters they created from scratch. Those 10 characters were created despite Capcom could have chosen to find 10 more characters with premade sprites to put in the game. They instead put in the development time and money to do so.

MvC:I also ported most of their cast from UMvC3, and still has a smaller cast. The only new characters of the initial cast are Captain Marvel, Gamora, Ultron, Jedah, and X. That's 6.

Now, DLC will bring all new characters in Black Panther, Black Widow, Winter Soldier, Sigma, and Monster Hunter, and Venom, but that's still just 12 and potentially a year after release.

It's a different service model, but even then, Capcom chose to go with a smaller cast and less new characters for MvC:I.

Yup. Plus MVC2 was one of the most notable Dreamcast games at the time, so that gave it an extra edge for its cult following. Not to mention, it came only 2 years after the last one, and the fourth MVC in less than 5 years. So it was only natural for it to be the dream match that it was - if anything, that makes it the opposite of MVCI, which had a gutted roster and few newcomers despite coming 6 years after on beefier hardware. I don't think most people would have even minded that much if the roster was UMVC3's plus the newcomers. And it did get ribbed for its jazzy soundtrack too.

Capcom were toward the end of their arcade heydays at the time but in general it was an era where games didn't have nearly as much riding on them. MVC2 was one of their bigger games then so it probably ended up working well for them. Meanwhile practically their whole FY is hinging on MVCI and Monster Hunter World, and they're coming off years of reputation issues and underwhelming yearly lineups, so there's going to be a lot more scrutiny there. Especially when MVCI has competition (DBZ, Injustice 2) in a place where 2 didn't.

I wish people wouldn't go "but MVC2" when talking about MVCI's faults because the contexts surrounding them is entirely different.

Expectations for games are very high these days, and fighting games have actually become a very competitive genre again.

Games also tend to be very carefully designed around what users are asking due to this competition and the ease with which data can be collected these days.

At some point Capcom is going to have to reflect on the reality of the market they're competing in, and that applies to more than just fighting games.
This quote cannot be emphasized enough. The consumer base is more intelligent then the big wigs think they are. Consumer votes with wallet, and most of those dollars are coming from Fighting Game fans who are very well informed of what product they're getting. This is the out come.

MvC:I is a wonderful game once you sit down and play it, but from afar I can understand why people think it looks bad. Capcom made a mistake in sacrificing all of the charm of this series to serve the story mode.

Ridley327

Basically every other fighting game provider is already selling better than them at this point, and they're reviewing similarly or better too. The only metric by which they're doing well is EVO sign-ups.

Do you honestly see Capcom as a legit competitor any time soon? It just seems like that their priorities are so skewed at the eSports segment that everything else that helps sell the game falls completely to the wayside. It is definitely true that Injustice isn't anyone's idea of a super serious competitive game, but does that matter in the long run when it sucked up all the air out of the room and wound up as a very well liked game for mainstream audiences?

Kashiwaba

You're misunderstanding me.

Everybody knows Tekken has sold overall more than SF overall, no one's debating that. What I'm saying is there's always those who say "well but Tekken got most of it's sales in the 90s and since SFIV hit SF's always sold more compared to Tekken entries and SF is more popular these days" in response to that which is why when these threads come up people bring up Tekken's name to spin their narrative.

SF got most it sales from SF2 (which basically started modern fighting games) and SF4 (which basically what revived the 2D fighting genre) over all every tekken game sold more than every sf game beside those 2.

Marcel

Do you honestly see Capcom as a legit competitor any time soon? It just seems like that their priorities are so skewed at the eSports segment that everything else that helps sell the game falls completely to the wayside. It is definitely true that Injustice isn't anyone's idea of a super serious competitive game, but does that matter in the long run when it sucked up all the air out of the room and wound up as a very well liked game for mainstream audiences?

Fighting games will have to skew even more mainstream on the categories of subject matter and accessibility to be commercially viable in the future. FGC elites may cry about it but market forces will edge them out of importance and eventually existence.

DrArchon

Yikes. I know Marvel Vs games aren't big in Japan, but Christ, even MvC3 did better than this.

Maybe if they had Monster Hunter in the main roster instead of as a DLC character. Or maybe if they had Japanese voices. Or maybe if the game didn't look like dogshit.

Maybe maybe maybe.

Raw64life

It got outsold by NBA2K in Japan. I figured this would bomb but not that bad. Not upset though, Capcom can get fucked with this business model. Hopefully this gives them a loud and clear message to cut that shit out, but they'll probably just double down on it because Capcom.

Ridley327

Fighting games will have to skew mainstream on the categories of subject matter and accessiblity to be commercially viable in the future. FGC elites may cry about but market forces will eventually edge them out of importance and eventually existence.

Exactly. I know that Smash has a contentious reputation within the hardcore community, but you don't sell Smash numbers by relying on the alleged tastemakers.

Baleoce

Yeah, they're going to have to adapt very quickly. Practically every other fighting game publisher is taking their lunch. There's only so far a franchise name can carry you.

DrArchon

i sometimes think capcpom bites more than it can chew and spread way too thin on too many projects at once. they really need to get their shit together

I find that hard to believe seeing as they're barely making anything other like 1-2 games at a time + remasters.

And if that's too much for them then they're really in deep shit.

breakfuss

I’m not going to act like I understand why this happened. But I will say the game looks like trash. It may play well but it looks awful. Like..super cheap. And it doesn’t have X-Men!!! Hell, didn’t the series start off as X-Men vs. Capcom?

I find that hard to believe seeing as they're barely making anything other like 1-2 games at a time + remasters.

And if that's too much for them then they're really in deep shit.

I don't find it hard to believe. This has been an on-going trend with Capcom, they are and have been for awhile now, a poorly managed company-- on multiple levels. Their track record with titles like remakes, SF5 launch, and now MvCI reception is proof of this.

Kashiwaba

Because the gameplay is always top notch and the best which is what the fgc cares about and that's why their games get highest twitch viewers and sign ups during tournaments.

Neoxon

I'm not going to act like I understand why this happened. But I will say the game looks like trash. It may play well but it looks awful. Like..super cheap. And it doesn't have X-Men!!! Hell, didn't the series start off as X-Men vs. Capcom?
There wasn't much that could be done on the X-Men situation. It's one of the few things that isn't Capcom's fault.

Lulubop

It got outsold by NBA2K in Japan. I figured this would bomb but not that bad. Not upset though, Capcom can get fucked with this business model. Hopefully this gives them a loud and clear message to cut that shit out, but they'll probably just double down on it because Capcom.

No they're just not gonna make any more.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't find it hard to believe. This has been an on-going trend with Capcom, they are and have been for awhile now, a poorly managed company-- on multiple levels. Their track record with titles like remakes, SF5 launch, and now MvCI reception is proof of this.
Pretty much this a company that misspelled the name of it's on the retail box of it's international release. Let alone misspelled their own name.

Incompetence doesn't begin to describe Capcom.

Marcel

Exactly. I know that Smash has a contentious reputation within the hardcore community, but you don't sell Smash numbers by relying on the alleged tastemakers.

FGC tastemakers and tourists are a loud, annoying minority that any publisher would drop like a fucking rock if they weren't currently important to the viability of your online community. Certain fighting game developers cannot keep on the path of tepid commercial releases with only that loud minority keeping them afloat based on Twitch numbers and tournament sign-ups. The situation as it exists now cannot hold.

Not the character in the second row that hasn't even got a film yet? Or Gamora in the back that looks nothing like Gamora from the films?

Thor doesn't look like Thor from the films either. Gamora is based on her comic design because it's infinitely superior.

Lol isn't this Shazam's name? I have never heard of this Captain Marvel woman.

Yeah and there was a lawsuit involved and Marvel won out in the end. The name Captain Marvel has been used in both Marvel and DC comics for decades.

I-hate-u

Anemic Roster
Ugly Characters
Terrible Music
Unattractive Art Style

married with..

No Marketing
Poor Publicity
Fan Insulting PR
Terrible IP Management

What do you expect? Even if the gameplay is appealing to some, there are so many hurdles Capcom and Marvel created for people to even take a passive interest in this game.

Top Bottom