• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite sells 1/10th of MvC3's debut in Japan, 1/6th Pokken DX

FSLink

Banned
I honestly don't care if people think SSB is a racing game or a walking simulator. But if you're going to tell us it's not a fighting game, then tell us what kind of game it is. Because party game is not a genre - Guitar Hero is a party game, Halo is a party game, Mario Party is well, a party game. Do you mean mini game compilation? SSB is not that. Not following closely the Street Fighter formula doesn't really tell me anything, you don't see people calling Bushido Blade or Power Stone anything but fighting games. Heck, 3rd person always-flying Dragon Ball games are never doubted in their genre.

I got into gaming because of Street Fighter and I play most traditional fighting games being released - and I still don't see why fighters are unique in that apparently they should follow one and only one formula. There's a ton of wildly different RPGs, shooters, platformers, etc.

Yup. The argument is fucking outdated. And yep, Power Stone is pretty damn "casual" but nobody considers it a party game rather than a fighting game. People just want to discredit Smash and ride on a stupid meme wagon than actually post anything constructive.

Capcom side isnt too hot either. Who wanted Spencer Firebrand and Arthur again?

There isn't anything wrong with asset reuse to save time, especially since those types of characters would make for awful DLC.

The issue is just with the roster as a whole. Nobody would bat an eye at those guys being in if we got the UMvC3 Capcom side in-tact and more newbies in general like Black Panther from the get go.

Well damn, that's kind of astounding that they fucked up this bad.
It's a shame really, Capcom has such an incredible legacy but most of their franchises (with a couple of notable exceptions thankfully) are dying off. And those are painful deaths. It's fucking Marvel for god's sake, one of the biggest entertainment brands on the planet. Outsold by a Super Nintendo game.

Don't fuck with the X-Men.

As per Media Create:

Pokken Tournament DX debuts at #1 with 53,395

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite debuts at #8 with 8,273

This aligns with the numbers from the UK.

USFII on Switch also outsold Mahvel two to one:

6oHpN4E.png

Hey Cerium, unfortunately the numbers of Tsutaya, rakuten, ComG! had well informed us, damn :(

Point me to the massively unsuccessful pokemon spinoffs.

I was going to say Pokken or Pokemon XD but then I saw they sold over a million and in the case of Pokken was highly successful in arcades too. It's weird looking at the sales I don't think there's been a pokemon spin-off that's sold less than a million.

kewlmyc

I get the shock of the PAL sales, but this not so much. MvC has always been a western focused game. Even the MCU being a moderate success in Japan won't change that.

I was going to say Pokken or Pokemon XD but then I saw they sold over a million and in the case of Pokken was highly successful in arcades too. It's weird looking at the sales I don't think there's been a pokemon spin-off that's sold less than a million.
Pokémon Dash probably didn't.

Awful game

Dartastic

I don't understand the point of this thread: it was obvious that a shitty game like MvC:I was going to lost against a well made fighting game, especially on Nintendo platforms.

Especially in Japan.

Does anyone expected a different result?
THE PROBLEM ISN'T THAT THE GAME IS BAD. Goddamn, it's a real failure of Capcom to have people actually thinking the game is shit even though if you hop into the official thread for like, any amount of time there's tons of people saying "holy fuck this game is so funnnnnnnnnnnnn!"

mebizzle

THE PROBLEM ISN'T THAT THE GAME IS BAD. Goddamn, it's a real failure of Capcom to have people actually thinking the game is shit even though if you hop into the official thread for like, any amount of time there's tons of people saying "holy fuck this game is so funnnnnnnnnnnnn!"

Of course people congregating in that thread are going to be saying it is fun, threads and subreddits and forums are echo chambers. The game can still be pretty fun but also be a massive disappointment for fans of previous entries, which it is. It looks really rough, plays OK at best, and doesn't have the best cast for a variety of reasons.

Of course people congregating in that thread are going to be saying it is fun, threads and subreddits and forums are echo chambers. The game can still be pretty fun but also be a massive disappointment for fans of previous entries, which it is. It looks really rough, plays OK at best, and doesn't have the best cast for a variety of reasons.
Everyone who has played it said it's super fun and reviewers have echoed the same thing.

tariniel

The game just needs some serious attention on PC. The netcode and lobbies on PC are unplayable for me so I refunded the game. Even last night watching a friend stream it, he was waiting 5+ minutes to find matches, the game said they were 5 bars, and all were laggy for him. The lobbies also having the microphone forced on is just awful and lazy.

At this point I'm happy to wait for patches and price drops. I only play fighting games online so that's what is most important for me.

"The game just needs some serious attention on PC. The netcode and lobbies on PC are unplayable for me so I refunded the game. Even last night watching a friend stream it, he was waiting 5+ minutes to find matches, the game said they were 5 bars, and all were laggy for him. The lobbies also having the microphone forced on is just awful and lazy. "

Hilariously enough, it's the microphones that cause lobby netcode to be so bad. If everyone disables their microphones (in Windows Sound Panel), the netcode is perfect.

Not everyone because I've played it and I don't think it is as fun as 2 or 3? Broad generalizations aren't useful.
But your opinion has more weight? Ive watched angry Joe review praise gameplay, max review, several other reviews I cant quote at top of my head, ultrachen show said there was nothing but praise at the last fighting game tourney that went to for MvCi.

Snakeyes

It's a fighting game how? Because, it's not selling copies only on that premise. Those who 'make smash' a 'fighting game' are serious competitors who use their own grass roots rule-sets. Out of the box for any other casual, it's clearly a party game.
Any casual you show Smash to will tell you it's a fighting game. In fact, anyone who isn't a fighting game purist will see Smash as a fighting game.

Platy

Technically there is something that resembles a fighting game inside of Smash Bros. However, it is primarily advertised and designed from the ground up as a party game. This is typically re-inforced by how the stages are laid out and designed, that's also not including how knock-out mechanics and damage percentage calculate into the meta for their community. Which is entirely different from mechanics like; Super Meter, Health bars, and flat stages with 2 vertical walls from Capcom fighters.

Both Capcom and Nintendo Smash sell for different reasons IMO.

Which is why I want to see a Capcom Smash Bros.

Hell, Nintendo already adapted megaman and Ryu for them ... they just need to go for everyone.

make it everyone SD with cell shading for a more unified style (and a style that looks better with low budget... ps2 level models are justified with 8 players on the screen =P), call it Pocket Fighter Smash and put lots of characters.

Make it more competitive meele mechanics style with less stage hazards for more competitive but focus on the casuals.

Instead of making something for the evo crowd that the casuals might like go the smash/injustice way of making a casual game that the evo crowd might like

Release on Switch, PS4 and PC and you have a printing money machine.

Story mode is just bad on all levels. The actual game looks fine.

And having a "unifying art style" is kind of an impossibility for this game. Should Mega Man have realistic proportions? Should Hulk be Arthur-sized? :p

Both Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and even Smash Bros does better job on making a unified style department.

Top Bottom