• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

Stoze

Finished the final episode, that it was pretty good, though (final episode spoiler)
The Punisher appearing on the roof to shoot guys immediately after Elektra gets downed was pretty silly, as was the head nod he does which no one saw.

Overall I think it was a great season, on par or better than the first but I'd have to go re-watch it. Maybe I'll do both before season 3.

Jarmel

Banned
My feeling up to episode 7 is that the Punisher stuff is infinitely more interesting than the Hand elements. The Hand elements are being used more as a time waster and as a plot device.

Quick

Banned
Ran through the first three episodes of season 2. So damn good.

I initially planned on watching an episode a day (I did this with season 1 until midway through), but it hooked me in immediately.

I was sold on Bernthal immediately, and episode 3 just elevates him even more in my books.

I'm firmly in the camp of "give Punisher his own Netflix series pls".

duckroll

Episode 3

You do realize the bikers would kill punisher right? (or Punisher would kill them) And Daredevil doesn't want anybody to die? Seems pretty simple.

Doesn't really matter. The point is that it was specifically written to have that outcome in mind. It's artificial; doesn't add anything at all to the story, and just felt like an excuse from the writers to have a scene like that. Hence it is forced and boring.

Anung

Un Rama
Doesn't really matter. The point is that it was specifically written to have that outcome in mind. It's artificial; doesn't add anything at all to the story, and just felt like an excuse from the writers to have a scene like that. Hence it is forced and boring.

I mean you could argue that about anything on a TV show? The child was only kidnapped in season 1 to justify a badass one shot hallway fight scene. Episode 3 justified it plenty.

I was just about to write about how bad I felt the cinematography is, especially compared to Jessica Jones, and how low quality most of action scenes were but episode 3 was extremely strong on that front.
lmao what? Daredevil's shittiest fight scene is better than anything Jessica Jones has up its sleeve.

Jarmel

Banned
lmao what? Daredevil's shittiest fight scene is better than anything Jessica Jones has up its sleeve.

Cinematography=/Choreography

Jessica Jones had some really gorgeous shots due to the use of color and also the noir aspect early on. The cinematography here comes off as pedestrian at times.

Also the scene on the roof in episode 2 was terribad.

nubbe

The episode tell the viewer how differently they view "justice"
It is important for those who aren't familiar with the Punisher

duckroll

I mean you could argue that about anything on a TV show? The child was only kidnapped in season 1 to justify a badass one shot hallway fight. Episode 3 justified it plenty.

Nah I don't think it's the same thing at all. The child being kidnapped represented part of the problem which Daredevil wanted to solve - the city was getting more and more corrupted and innocent people are getting hurt, families are being torn apart. Daredevil saving that one child represented one small spark of hope in all of that. It was well thought out thematically.

Here it is basically contrived nonsense. Punisher is trying to convince Daredevil to "cross the line", okay. We get 30 minutes of back and forth, and by the end of it I don't think we need to know anything more about the psyche of both of these two characters. It's all established.
But when Punisher decides to basically create a situation which puts himself in danger, and Daredevil has to fight his way through two dozen people and beat them to a pulp to essentially SAVE THEM from Punisher, while saving Punisher from them. That's just a horseshit garbage scenario. It's stupidly forced.
\

The episode tell the viewer how differently they view "justice"
It is important for those who aren't familiar with the Punisher

They can get the point across without beating you over the head with it for 45 minutes I think.

Red

I felt the same. Impressive choreography, I think I caught only one possible cut when the camera jumps mid-fight, but despite its technical impressiveness (and creativity via
the chain-whip
) it had none of the visceral impact of the Cut Man fight from S1 (which may be my favorite on-screen fight scene like, ever).

number11

Not sure how I feel about this season. I love The Punisher arc. But minus Elektra's involvement, I don't care about anything else in the Yakuza storyline.

JTripper

I agree it has nothing on the impact of S1's hallway fight, but that scene was anything but boring my man. I'd take a one-take fight scene from Daredevil for the sake of having one over pretty much any other action scene in the MCU.

UrbanRats

Up to ep3 now.
Action is as good as season 1, and honestly as good as it gets for a TV show (I think i still prefer Banshee on that regard) but the writing is so crass.
If I didn't laugh at it from time to time, I don't know if the action would be enough to get through it.

Every time they try to pull a serious moment, especially dealing in moral gray areas of vigilante justice, it's like they're talking down to kids or idiots, spelling everything out, using comically extreme examples and so on.

And the scene with
Foggy getting the two "thugs" in line, at the hospital was so cringe worthy, I was expecting him to go off about firefighters, nurses and teachers being the real heroes, next

SPOILER WARNING: Daredevil beats a bunch of dudes up in an episode! Wow!

Great, now I know that doesn't happen in EVERY episode, you fucker

Early Episode 6 spoilers

I'm fuckin' DYING at the Yakuza riding rice rockets to freaking Date With The Night by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, wtf

Died laughing at the
weird slomo sex scene
in episode 5. Something about it was cheesy as fuck to me.

Oh and thus far, I'm impartial about Elektra.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The
graveyard speech
in episode 4 was pretty good. Overall by far the best episode of the season so far.

It's kind of his origin story, I wouldn't worry too much.

Yeah I forget this is supposed to be early on in his 'career'. Still Bernthal seems sort of Punisher-lite so far (dialogue-wise)

8 Episodes in. First 4 were excellent but the last 4 have dragged a fair bit with Frank a consistent highlight throughout. Every scene with him is amazing.

Hopefully the show picks up a bit in the last stretch.

Spinluck

Episode 4:

The origin behind
Punisher's Penny & Dime thing
actually got to me in that Ep 4 scene. Idk why, then Matt also
tearing up at the punchline of Punisher's story
and the music queing up, and the performances themselves. Hell of a job to get that emotional impact.

Love the humanity of these characters. Reminds of when Matt treated up on Karen's shoulders in Season 1 after seeing those blind factory workers the previous night.

Jarmel

Banned
Just finished it.
Everything with The Punisher was fantastic.
Everything with Electra was boring.

This is where I'm going with it too. The Hand/Electra stuff feels like unnecessary bloat carried over from a weaker show. It's almost entirely divorced from the Punisher aspects so it's like I'm watching two separate shows.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jesus that fight scene in episode 3.

What a fantastic episode overall, really digging into the characters and testing their limits in more than one way.

Spinluck

Foggy is one of the biggest Marvel miscast to me.

I cannot get over him. He sucked in Butterfly Effect, and he seems out of place here.

Salsa

halfway through

im in awe of how they kept up quality. it was a hard act to beat, different showrunner and all

it's so fucking good.

that Punisher monologue on 4 was incredible. Im so glad this exists in this form so the characters get the treatment and time they deserve.

I didnt really like Jessica Jones all that much and this makes it look even worse. Whole other level

having a hard time to even get excited about Luke Cage. I really hope Iron Fist falls more in line with this

Top Bottom