• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

KonradLaw

A miniseries, maybe.

The fight choreography in this show just embarrasses anything in the Flarrowverse, though.

Advantage of not having to film 20+ eps a year. Flarrow works on ridiculous schedule.

That said, Daredevil is pretty far away from top when it comes to fight choreography on TV, especially this season. DD suit seems to be pretty heavy and moves limiting and it shows in action scenes.

jgminto

It was an enjoyable season outside of The Hand. Wave after wave of faceless ninjas got pretty boring after a while and the supernatural story elements were equally uninteresting. The Punisher storyline was top notch though, give me a drug deal gone wrong over ancient magical ninja cults any day. Jessica Jones still remains as the pinnacle of comic book television.

Shaanyboi

Banned
A miniseries, maybe.

The fight choreography in this show just embarrasses anything in the Flarrowverse, though.
It really does. The general cinematography and directing too (and I LOVE The Flash series). But in fairness, that is filmed on such a crazy tight schedule and budget, and has to accomodate 20-some episodes. But to the end viewer, those reasons are meaningless. Arrow just looks so much worse after even just a scene of Matt and Karen eating Indian food.

KonradLaw

It really does. The general cinematography and directing too (and I LOVE The Flash series). But in fairness, that is filmed on such a crazy tight schedule and budget, and has to accomodate 20-some episodes. But to the end viewer, those reasons are meaningless. Arrow just looks so much worse after even just a scene of Matt and Karen eating Indian food.

I think this is just CW cheapness. DD isn't even that good cinematography wise, it's just when stacked up against CW shows where it shines. People have been able to deliver beautiful looking shows (often prettier than DD) on networks with over 20+ episodes/year.

I think this is just CW cheapness. DD isn't even that good cinematography wise, it's just when stacked up against CW shows where it shines. People have been able to deliver beautiful looking shows (often prettier than DD) on networks with over 20+ episodes/year.

Naw. Its pretty good.

AMUSIX

Just finished Episode 10...while so many of the fights have been great, I've got to say that the best parts of the series have been the conversations.

Ep 3
The rooftop conversation between DD and Punisher on the nature of what they do
Ep 9
Punisher and Kingpin in the chamber.....on a side note, for anyone who felt that Vincent wasn't Fisk enough in Season 1, what we're seeing now is full on Kingpin
Ep 7
Matt and Karen discussing the boundaries of vigilantes

Seriously, the highlights of the show, and of each episode, are those longer one on one conversations.

Oh, Episode 9 question,
did anyone catch who the two guys are that Fisk recruits as muscle? That is, are they characters/henchmen from the comics?

Dalek

Episode 3 is superb. That entire morality dialogue really hit the spot for me. My wife was pretty offended when I said I find myself agreeing with Frank sometimes. That said she's never read The Slavers and I have.

Cuburt

HOLY SHIT EPISODE 8

dudes

this is what I logged on to post.

I was just thinking before this episode how season 2 didn't really have many moments where I went "Holy shit!" with either violence, plot twists, or strong character driven moments like I did with season 1. Season 2 has felt really consistent but the high points from season 1 made watching it a roller coaster, even if it also had more low/slow points.

Episode 8 though, multiple "Holy shit" moments.

This season benefits a lot from not having to set up the world and just diving into these new characters and stories.

Episode 8:

Stick showed up, this show just got even worse. These ninjas are hilariously awful. I get that this is a comic book show but it's just super awkward seeing this type of visual. It's probably due to the poor portrayal of it all or them being Arrow League of Assassin's tier.

I think this is why Nolan's Batman series resonated well with lots of people, it's not about super natural people doing supernatural awkward shit but kept it grounded and relatedable without changing stories from court case to giant hole in ground with centuries old supernatural ninja war. It's always so corny seeing people fight with bows and swords in modern day. Can't the Hand be more modernized and practical?

Epdisode 8 question:

Are they doing a The Dark Knight Rises thing ? Stick is not the kid, right ?

Episode 8:

Stick showed up, this show just got even worse. These ninjas are hilariously awful. I get that this is a comic book show but it's just super awkward seeing this type of visual. It's probably due to the poor portrayal of it all or them being Arrow League of Assassin's tier.

I think this is why Nolan's Batman series resonated well with lots of people, it's not about super natural people doing supernatural awkward shit but kept it grounded and relatedable without changing stories from court case to giant hole in ground with centuries old supernatural ninja war. It's always so corny seeing people fight with bows and swords in modern day. Can't the Hand be more modernized and practical?

Stick just showing up without any foreshadowing
is just bad writing, this season has some bad writing I have to say, but I am enjoying it. 3 days until Batman v Superman, yay.

I dont know exactly what you mean but I guess no,
Stick is the old dude

In TDKR, everyone assumed the guy who climbed out of the hole was Bane, but it was Thalia. Stick told the story about the kid who killed everyone out of reveng and Murdock assumed it was him. I don't believe that.

Also, was this always so dark ? I wish there were more stylized colors, like be a bit more red than black.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
In TDKR, everyone assumed the guy who climbed out of the hole was Bane, but it was Thalia. Stick told the story about the kid who killed everyone out of reveng and Murdock assumed it was him. I don't believe that.
Stick tends to be resurrected, so maybe he just got a new body.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I wasn't really down with this season in the early eps, but it's really gotten better in the last few eps I watched (8 & 9). You could say it's getting crowded
with Punisher, Kingpin, Elektra, the Hand, etc
, I'd say it's just getting awesome.

Also, was this always so dark ? I wish there were more stylized colors, like be a bit more red than black.

I assume the guy Stick was talking to in season 1 was the kid, who is now immortal.
But what do I know?

Magwik

Banned
José Mourinho;198713767 said:
For some reason every time ninjas popup in this show I lose a bit of interest.
It's because they're boring and the show never took the time to explain to the viewer why they should be properly invested aside from "they're bad"

It's because they're boring and the show never took the time to explain to the viewer why they should be properly invested aside from "they're bad"
You're not wrong.

edit: I know the show is all martial arts etc, but I can't put ninjas and the likes of Frank Castle side by side and not think it's odd. Granted, I've read about 5 comics in my entire life so maybe Daredevil is ninja central. I just find them so boring.

Kyoufu

Mysticism ruins these shows IMO. We suddenly got immortal Nobu out of nowhere which gave me bad Arrow vibes from season 3 onwards with its League of Assassins ninjas.

Thought the rest of the season was incredible though. The fight scene against
The Irish was so, so good as well as Murdock going all Ghost Rider on us with the chain. That scene alone put the GR movies to shame.

Mysticism ruins these shows IMO. We suddenly got immortal Nobu out of nowhere which gave me bad Arrow vibes from season 3 onwards with its League of Assassins ninjas.

Thought the rest of the season was incredible though. The fight scene against
The Irish was so, so good as well as Murdock going all Ghost Rider on us with the chain. That scene alone put the GR movies to shame.
I agree completely, except I was alright with the
mysticism
in Season 3 of Arrow but Season 4 pushed way passed my barrier for taste.

The reason why I think Arrow did a better job at
its magic junk than Daredevil is because Arrow spent a lot of time progressing from dark and gritty delicious realism to something more fantastical. While Daredevil just has Elektra coming up and saying "get in loser we're going to beat ninjas with no heartbeats and an immortal version of a cool extraordinarily minor bad guy from the worst episode of Season 1"

In fact, I'm reminded of The Wolverine which was such a boring boring movie. It's so flavorless and safe, and my disdain for ninjas as bad guys is growing exponentially.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Punisher: I'm sorry, I don't see you running from it. I don't do this to hurt people. Yeah, so what is that, just a job perk? I don't kill anyone. Is that why you think you're better than me? No. Is that why you think you're a big hero? It doesn't matter what I think or what I am. People don't have to die. Come on, Red. You believe that? I believe it's not my call, and it ain't yours either. Somebody ask you to put on that costume or you take it upon yourself? You know what I think of you, hero? I think you're a half-measure. I think you're a man who can't finish the job. I think that you're a coward. You know the one thing that you just can't see? You know you're one bad day away from being me.

Got 'em

Gtb5N08.gif

Wrong franchise for you to follow then.

Well, much of season 1 and the first 4 episodes of season 2 completely ignored the mystic bullshit. It's not the viewers fault that someone decided to mix in something completely tonally different that clashes with the rest of the series and drags the whole thing down by being boring and badly written to top the whole thing off.

Sadist

Guys, guys, this show is amazing.

Amazing.

Episode 10

Vincent D'onofrio just owns that scene with Cox in the prison. Goddamn. Goddamn.

Love the part where he is enjoying his dinner in his cell while drinking wine from a plastic cup.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well, much of season 1 and the first 4 episodes of season 2 completely ignored the mystic bullshit. It's not the viewers fault that someone decided to mix in something completely tonally different that clashes with the rest of the series and drags the whole thing down by being boring and badly written to top the whole thing off.

Not their fault that people have the wrong expectations.

Owari

Does anyone else think "Elektra" is an incredibly dumb name? Like seriously who would name their daughter that? I always assumed that was just her superhero name. That's like Matt Murdochs name being Daredevil Murdoch. They must have been pretty stoned when they thought that was a good idea.

How come when Stan Lee and friends named male superheroes they get regular names like Matt and Peter, then when you get to the girls names it's like straight up stripper names? It's like he was getting a lap dance at a club and said "wait what was your name?" "Elektra" "Excelcior!"

Tobor

Except it isn't boring and isn't written badly and was set up perfectly in Season 1.

Daredevil and The Hand are like peanut butter and chocolate. They go great together. If you don't like the chocolate, that's on you.

Kyoufu

Except it isn't boring and isn't written badly and was set up perfectly in Season 1.

Daredevil and The Hand are like peanut butter and chocolate. They go great together. If you don't like the chocolate, that's on you.

I don't even remember it being set up in season 1.

Mysticism is not something Marvel/DC do well.

Not their fault that people have the wrong expectations.

Why wrong expectations? Until Stick showed up in episode 7 of season 1 there was very little to make people expect
immortal ninjas with crazy superweapons. Plus all of that got ignored for the rest of season 1.

Ok, boring is probably a very subjective thing, but
we want superweapon because we bad is not really good writing. Plus Nobu shows up out of nowhere in S2

See above. And actually I don't like peanut butter.

I mean, don't get me wrong, if they wrote it better I would have watched it gladly if it wasn't for the fact that it clashes so absolutely with the rest of the series, which is by far the better part. Comic book crazy is not something I don't like per se. Both Agent Carter and The Flash revel in those, and I love(d) both shows.

Top Bottom