• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

Does anyone else think "Elektra" is an incredibly dumb name? Like seriously who would name their daughter that? I always assumed that was just her superhero name. That's like Matt Murdochs name being Daredevil Murdoch. They must have been pretty stoned when they thought that was a good idea.

How come when Stan Lee and friends named male superheroes they get regular names like Matt and Peter, then when you get to the girls names it's like straight up stripper names? It's like he was getting a lap dance at a club and said "wait what was your name?" "Elektra" "Excelcior!"

No. No it's not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electra

Owari

It's an actual greek name though. Not very common but there are still many women by that name.
That's like naming your son Zeus or something. Is that really a thing? If so I'll quietly eat crow.

Season 2 is amazing btw. 5 episodes in and Punisher is super badass. Way more interesting than crybaby kingpin.

Bearthgar

Banned
Hahaha well with one person saying it was the best superhero season they had ever seen and other people chiming in saying it wasn't long enough, I was starting to be swayed.

Whatever. Maybe I just won't binge this one in one day like the others. Maybe that's why I've always felt bored and worn out by the end of these, haha. I guess I just have a P.P.P.P. (pretty pathetic personal problem) like Bearthy says

Was tired and had the Marvel fever last night after the Netflix bender. That came out harsher than it sounded in my head.

Cuburt

In general, I'm enjoying how the Hand fits into things this season more than the first.

They could have done more to sew them into the bigger plot (though admittedly I'm still not done with the season and they seem to have a larger role in things than has been revealed) and had more fleshed out members or go a little further into the mythology/philosophy to give the organization more weight to what they are rather than being mainly a mysterious shadow organization with disposable ninjas that show up to fight every so often.

Sure, there feels like a sort of disconnect as soon as these traditional ninjas show up fighting with ninja weapons and dealing with some supernatural shit, but this is also a world where the lead character can hear a heart beat from across a noisy room and he can "see" better than people can with their eyes.

Some of the writing could improve that part of the show, but in general, I think it's also a matter of how it is all portrayed. The idea that there are mysterious ninjas tied to the Yakuza that really operate in the shadows and tighten their grip (no pun intended) on NY's criminal underworld is cool to me. In the MCU, they might have the most potential as an organization since HYDRA since they are both hard to unveil and therefore hard to beat. It creates a looming threat, but yeah, "Oh those pesky ninjas are back again" is kind of jarring in this universe when they stick out like a sore thumb. Force them underground so they have to be more low key and they are aces in my book.

Cuburt

That's like naming your son Zeus or something. Is that really a thing? If so I'll quietly eat crow.

Season 2 is amazing btw. 5 episodes in and Punisher is super badass. Way more interesting than crybaby kingpin.

I think you are already serving up a portion of crow since you went on a rant about it being a fake superhero stripper name.

Still cracks me up people complaining about mystical ninjas in a Daredevil show.
Why? The vast majority of watchers going in will have never read a Daredevil issue in their lives. And as others have said, it clashes with the other half of the show which couldn't be any farther removed from mystical ninjas.

Not saying they shouldn't go that direction if it's true to the source material, but it's understandable that people, myself included, would be a bit put off by it.

squall23

I know people named Athena and Thor. Well, I don't know the guy named Thor, I just acknowledge his existence. He's also not white.

I'm gonna keep my episode 5 review short,
what the fuck was that sex scene.

Probably the worst episode of the season so far, only decent at best.

ramparter

Banned

Not really as I said, plenty of women. Even I know a girl named Elektra. Zeus? No. More like naming your son Hector.

Owari

Not really as I said, plenty of women. Even I know a girl named Elektra. Zeus? No. More like naming your son Hector.
Welp, that's a badass name for sure. I guess I just always thought that was just her superhero name, when Matt first saw her and said "Elektra" I was like uhh how does he know her superhero name before he was a hero himself? This makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry if I came off rude before, I probably should have Googled the name. Had no idea it had greek roots. (Always wondered why her weapons are Kai instead of like electricity powers)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Still cracks me up people complaining about mystical ninjas in a Daredevil show.

its unbelievable, and they've established that its the main plot of the series since the first season, and yea, its a Daredevil show lol, its always been a mix of the mystical and crime drama.

Honestly I doubt people would complain as much if the mysticism was actually well executed.

This.

I like the mystical stuff in the comics. It's actually some of my favorite parts about DD. The shows execution regarding those parts is abysmal. The quality gap between the Punisher and the other plot lines was pretty big.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
They should have just made a Punisher season. He steals the show. He needs his own show. Everything else is so... By the numbers corny.

It seems like the sharp writing and gritty tone has been ripped right out of the show for me so far. All of the awesome stylistic action scenes have been MIA.

I'm only on EP. 4 at the moment, but I'm a little disappointed so far.

Loving the
Karen/Matt
and Punisher stuff though.

It seems like the sharp writing and gritty tone has been ripped right out of the show for me so far. All of the awesome stylistic action scenes have been MIA.

I'm only on EP. 4 at the moment, but I'm a little disappointed so far.

Loving the
Karen/Matt
and Punisher stuff though.

Your problems with the show do not match the episodes you have seen. There is nothing but
Punisher, Matt & Karen
until now.

Pachimari

I found the fights against the ninjas to become really boring, and I just wanted it to be over with. It wasn't executed well. I am not against the mysticism or The Hand at all, it's part of Daredevil after all, but I would like the fights themselves to be more interesting, or with more light sources and make them look cooler. Shake it up a bit.

zeemumu

They should have just made a Punisher season. He steals the show. He needs his own show. Everything else is so... By the numbers corny.

Didn't they greenlight him for his owm show months ago because he was apparently just that good? If it's true i agree with them

I hated the constant use of the word Warzone when referring to the Punisher's actions. Trying to forget those ,movies happened.

I think there's more in there than just that, and
the fact that it happened under mysterious circumstances could mean anything, up to and including her involvement in his death. I literally have no idea what it could be, you can make out the name "Kevin" on another scrap but that's about it. It also says "for unknown reasons, the vehicle..." and then it's just blurry. But something Karen did in Vermont is pretty messed up.

It's all a part of her mysterious background so we continue to be intrigued by her even though we aren't.

oh I see. spoil
yeah, unfortunately I'm not that intrigued by it, MOSTLY because they keep beating around the bush though. They hinted at it when she killed Wesley, and they hinted at again here as explained by you guys, but...there's no need to save it. Just fucking spit it out, you know?

ALSO, I was quite pleasantly surprised to have seen both Kingpin and Hogarth. It's interesting because there was no mention of either actor being on the show and they got them to appear, you know?

Eidan

What was up with (ep 8? Maybe 9):
Karen crying at the newspaper clipping in her new office? But I guess Karen cries at basically everything, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Further proof that most people are on their phone while watching. It's pretty obvious why she started crying.

OldRoutes

Wow, that season is controversial so far! I like it. I really like it so far, actually.

There's not a single character I dislike, so far, which is surprising, especially since I hated almost everyone in Season 1.

I'm at Episode 7.

Eidan

It's not hard to understand why the Punisher stuff is so much more compelling.
While Frank is squaring off against established villains with relatable, real world crimes, Matt is off searching basements fighting ninjas who harvest blood....

Magwik

Banned
It's not hard to understand why the Punisher stuff is so much more compelling.
While Frank is squaring off against established villains with relatable, real world crimes, Matt is off searching basements fighting ninjas who harvest blood....

It's almost like one part is grounded in reality and that helps it greatly and the other part is just silly nonsense. Like I said before, there's really nothing for us to invest with in the Hand. With Frank you have his family and his code which are extremely compelling and the argument of whether to kill or not kill some of these people is put into the spotlight, an argument that shows up on GAF all the time when it comes to Batman and co. Right there you're already invested just by an idea, because it's something we have all considered and thought about. It also doesn't help that every time Matt goes off to fight the Hand he is a colossal douchebag.

duckroll

Episode 4

That was pretty great. The episode went on for a bit long, but I like that the focus was on all the good things of the season so far. Gritty crime stuff, more Punisher, etc.
The Karen romance is sooo doomed, but that's also sooo Daredevil. :p

Retro

oh I see. spoil
yeah, unfortunately I'm not that intrigued by it, MOSTLY because they keep beating around the bush though. They hinted at it when she killed Wesley, and they hinted at again here as explained by you guys, but...there's no need to save it. Just fucking spit it out, you know?

Yeah, I think at this point there's too many plates spinning in terms of mysteries, secrets and unrevealed pasts. They need to start explaining some of them before people lose track of what's going on.

Pachimari

Didn't they greenlight him for his owm show months ago because he was apparently just that good? If it's true i agree with them

No they didn't. That was just rumors, which they went on to deny.

As it is, we are getting Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders and Jessica Jones S2.

It's almost like one part is grounded in reality and that helps it greatly and the other part is just silly nonsense. Like I said before, there's really nothing for us to invest with in the Hand. With Frank you have his family and his code which are extremely compelling and the argument of whether to kill or not kill some of these people is put into the spotlight, an argument that shows up on GAF all the time when it comes to Batman and co. Right there you're already invested just by an idea, because it's something we have all considered and thought about. It also doesn't help that every time Matt goes off to fight the Hand he is a colossal douchebag.
The problem was that they were keeping too many secrets. Like what happens with
black sky
? There's no exposition other than bad things happen. So my reaction was essentially "Ok... :\"

Eidan

I mean, how can anyone watch
Matt's confrontation with Fisk
, and not understand that nothing in the Hand storyline comes close to the level of tension or raw emotion? It's night and day.

Fuchsdh

I mean, how can anyone watch
Matt's confrontation with Fisk
, and not understand that nothing in the Hand storyline comes close to the level of tension or raw emotion? It's night and day.

The problem is Scott Glen never bothers explaining the real stakes to things, and Matt clearly doesn't buy in either. So it's an ephemeral threat that he's only invested in because of Stick and Elektra, versus the very real possibility Kingpin is going to bust out and come after him and those he loves. It's right there in the script and they don't bother addressing its fundamental weakness even as Matt laughs at it.

Theorry

Episode 4.

Such a great shot. For one moment..

MLtTmAW.jpg

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Finished up yesterday and spent some time taking it all in. But I think Episode 4 is home to one of my favourite MCU moments and maybe TV in general moments.

Where Daredevil brings Punisher to the graveyard and DD asks him about the Penny and Dime rhyme, and Punisher just does that excellent 10 minute monologue. Totally sold me on the character.

Epcott

Just finished.

I don't like how Matt is
still so pressed to bring guys like Nobu to justice (incarceration) especially knowing now that Fisk runs the prison, a man whom he put there. When he said he wanted Nobu to pay by rotting in jail, I couldn't believe he was serious. He knows the system is broken yet still follows it...
he comes off as stupid and stubborn.

Red

Just finished.

I don't like how Matt is
still so pressed to bring guys like Nobu to justice (incarceration) especially knowing now that Fisk runs the prison, a man whom he put there. When he said he wanted Nobu to pay by rotting in jail, I couldn't believe he was serious. He knows the system is broken yet still follows it...
I think that's a point a lot of the characters make as well. But remember Matt is a Catholic, and as such accepts some things on faith rather than on evidence. It's a part of his character.

Bloomers

Just finished.

I don't like how Matt is

The more I think about it, the more I realize how much damage was caused by Matt's poor judgement over the course of the season. When the Punisher shows up, Matt begins to double down on his ideals towards an extreme level and it slowly costs him his humanity. (season spoilers)
It's all basically a breakdown to the lowest point in Matt's life thus far, and everyone pays the price. Loses his firm and best friend, can't keep a relationship with the girl right in front of him, takes up with his killer ex and gets her wounded/killed, pisses off countless gangs, practically tips the Kingpin off to his identity, etc

Red

Bloomers, all of that is intentional. A big part of his growth this season is dealing with mistakes.
The season opens with Daredevil taking baddies out with utmost confidence, he even gets this cocky smile on his face while he does it. Then the Punisher takes him out and we quickly see Matt struggle with things he had taken for granted, and believed he had come to grips with.

harSon

Banned
I'm 8 episodes in and the most annoying thing in anything superhero related is the hero refusing to come clean about their identities to loved ones, to the detriment of said relationship, despite the fact that tons of other people already know who the fuck they are. Annoys the fuck out of me everytime.

kaskade

3 episodes in and I'm liking the build up of The Punisher. They really did need another character in the show like this. I'm not sure how just a daredevil centric show would've been. I guess we'll see how the rest of the season works out with Punisher screen time because at the moment I'm not sure about a standalone punisher show.

Toa TAK

Banned
José Mourinho;198727705 said:
You're easily cracked up.
Well, I mean, it's there in the comics.

Though the show really runs with it being so grounded as is, and I feel the same. I didn't give a shit for the Hand stuff in this season or even the Stick episode last season. Everything else was better executed for the most part.

Asbel

:D Not a fan or hater of Foggy but [ep 8]
he tore Matt a new asshole in the restroom and it was great. Matt constantly be like, wah wah my city needs me, wah wah I have the weight of the world on my shoulders, me me me. Then Foggy be like, STFU, you failed this case, you failed this law firm and you failed our friendship.

Vic_Viper

Just finished episode 9 and I don't want it to end. This season has been awesome! Can't see any other series topping this and cannot wait to see what they do with the Defenders series. This season alone has been better than pretty much all the MCU films accept for maybe winter soldier. The first season felt like a soap compared to what they have been able to do this time around. The budget must be insane.

Top Bottom