• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

Well, I mean, it's there in the comics.

Though the show really runs with it being so grounded as is, and I feel the same. I didn't give a shit for the Hand stuff in this season or even the Stick episode last season. Everything else was better executed for the most part.
Which was my point earlier. Most people going in won't have a notion what is and isn't in the comics. Whilst that's not the problem of the writers they surely could could handle it better whilst putting it along side the likes of Fisk, Punisher and other generally grounded crims.

Sadist

Watched it all.

It was great. Really great.

- Best parts of the season: Jon Bernthal absolutely nails the Punisher. Dude was on fire. Every scene with him felt intense, had some great dialogue (especially his part at the end of ep 4) and damn damn damn regarding his use of lethal force.
- Every scene with Fisk was golden. Him facing off with Matt in prison is amazing. Shit was real.
- As for Daredevil himself; we see his selfdestructive personality and while he contradicts himself here and there, Charlie Cox did another great job portraying the character.
- Yung is great as Elektra. But we haven't seen the last of her. Oh no.
- I know some might complain that magical ninja's invading the storyline seems random, but I dunno; even if Daredevil is fairly grounded in the MCU, it still shares the same universe as a god of thunder and the soon to be introduced Eye of Agamoto. The Hand as an evil organisation should have gotten more time to develop, but they brought some great scenes though.
- People really, REALLY hate Karen.
- Hey it's Hogarth. Don't do it Foggy :(

Looking forward to season 3 :)

:D Not a fan or hater of Foggy but [ep 8]
he tore Matt a new asshole in the restroom and it was great. Matt constantly be like, wah wah my city needs me, wah wah I have the weight of the world on my shoulders, me me me. Then Foggy be like, STFU, you failed this case, you failed this law firm and you failed our friendship.

Yeah, Foggy is awesome. Matt is an asshole

harSon

Banned
I'm 8 episodes into season 2. Does something between episode 9 to 13 make me feel the vitriol towards Karen that I'm seeing from others? Cause since Season 1 Episode 1 to Season 2 Episode 9, I can't say that I understand the hate.

I'm 8 episodes into season 2. Does something between episode 9 to 13 make me feel the vitriol towards Karen that I'm seeing from others? Cause since Season 1 Episode 1 to Season 2 Episode 9, I can't say that I understand the hate.

Some people just decided they didn't like Foggy and Karen from the outset. But Karen did totally get Urich killed :(

I can understand throwing Agents of Shield out but man its really starting to feel like a big negative with the movies not strongly connecting with the Netflix series.

I can understand throwing Agents of Shield out but man its really starting to feel like a big negative with the movies not strongly connecting with the Netflix series.

All the Netflix actors have it in their contracts! Iger's said that if the Netflix series were really popular, they could even become movies themselves. Such bullshit man. We get a boring charismatic-devoid jobber like Renner Hawkeye for four films, but they can't have Daredevil help Team Cap out of a jam for 4 minutes of screentime? Or jesus christ, even Ross showing a clip of Daredevil and saying "Look how your actions have led the populace astray..". ANYTHING.

It's all kind of connected. In a way. Sorta. LOOK THERE'S A NEWSPAPER IN THE BACKGROUND WITH STARK ON IT AHH. The film/TV are currently 'connected' in the same way Spidey and Dr. Strange were in 2004. They might as well not bother at this stage.

Yeah I think they're great as well. Although she did get Urich killed and he was my favorite character represented from the comics. Curtis Hall killed it :(

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
All the Netflix actors have it in their contracts! Iger's said that if the Netflix series were really popular, they could even become movies themselves. Such bullshit man. We get a boring charismatic-devoid jobber like Renner Hawkeye for four films, but they can't have Daredevil help Team Cap out of a jam for 4 minutes of screentime? Or jesus christ, even Ross showing a clip of Daredevil and saying "Look how your actions have led the populace astray..". ANYTHING.

It's all kind of connected. In a way. Sorta. LOOK THERE'S A NEWSPAPER IN THE BACKGROUND WITH STARK ON IT AHH. The film/TV are currently 'connected' in the same way Spidey and Dr. Strange were in 2004. They might as well not bother at this stage.
I'm in total agreement here. There were like two great times for a character to drop some dialog to connect this to the bigger outside world and they missed the boat.

End season spoilers...

When the newspaper editor was telling Karen to write the story he said something like "You need to wow these people. New Yorkers have seen it all, write something they haven't" Like really? You couldn't just drop a sarcastic, "You need to wow these people. They've seen aliens and cities fall from the sky, write something they haven't yet" Or something like that. To me, that would not be a weird conversation to have at this point in the Marvel Universe. These things happened and should be HUGE deals to the world. It would also help sell people that were a bit iffy on the whole Hand story line and magic ninjas and resurrections. Because DD keeps trying to avoid the bigger world, they're failing to connect these things and have them make sense. If they were to mention rumors of Inhumans or talk about the aliens, sentient robots, etc, you ground the world and set the rules and people can then buy into magic and mystical stuff.

zeemumu

I'm in total agreement here. There were like two great times for a character to drop some dialog to connect this to the bigger outside world and they missed the boat.

End season spoilers...

When the newspaper editor was telling Karen to write the story he said something like "You need to wow these people. New Yorkers have seen it all, write something they haven't" Like really? You couldn't just drop a sarcastic, "You need to wow these people. They've seen aliens and cities fall from the sky, write something they haven't yet" Or something like that. To me, that would not be a weird conversation to have at this point in the Marvel Universe. These things happened and should be HUGE deals to the world. It would also help sell people that were a bit iffy on the whole Hand story line and magic ninjas and resurrections. Because DD keeps trying to avoid the bigger world, they're failing to connect these things and have them make sense. If they were to mention rumors of Inhumans or talk about the aliens, sentient robots, etc, you ground the world and set the rules and people can then buy into magic and mystical stuff.

The events of the movie universe do little to influence the skepticism of the street-level Mavel populace. Kinda like how everything in DBZ universe short of the planet slowly imploding in GT did anything to influence the actions of the people of Earth.

Agents of SHIELD is the secret service so they're the in-between for Street and Macro Mavel

End season spoilers...

I could JUST about buy it in Jessica Jones when people were being super skeptical about mind control. Like sure, okay, there was the Mind Stone and people being controlled but the general public would have no knowledge of it. Let's ignore the fact that a giant space whale makes mind control seem pretty standard for a second.

But I straight up scoffed when Daredevil was going "MMM Black Sky, suuuuuuuuure", like coming back from life was a big deal.

Like don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly glad they haven't gone overboard with "STARK STARK STARK remember TONY STARK" references like they did in AOS S1, but there's a happy medium without ignoring the HUGE part of the reality of the universe en masse.

Episode 11:

Ninjas scaling a hospital. Usually hopsitals have high traffic outside and no one sees this? Like, if I was going by Surrey Memorial and I saw, like, 10 ninjas climbing up it with ropes I'd legit go, "WAT"

raphier

Banned
In the trailers there was a scene with Punisher using a minigun, this scene wasn't in the season or am I missing episode 14, because the last time we see him he wears it on a belt.

Red

I think Foggy was better this season. He's still a little goofy but what can you do.

I'm on episode 11 now and this is a damn fine superhero show. Tight script, solid acting, best-in-class action. Excellent follow up to season one.

i dont get the foggy hate. hes fine.

the problem with Karen is she doesnt listen to anything/ anyone and keeps being selfish and doing what she thinks needs to be done which is why she is always in trouble/danger

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Like don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly glad they haven't gone overboard with "STARK STARK STARK remember TONY STARK" references like they did in AOS S1, but there's a happy medium without ignoring the HUGE part of the reality of the universe en masse.

THIS! This is what I'm asked for as well. That happy medium which hasn't happened yet. I don't need every episode to have a name drop or call back, but when stuff starts getting weird for the characters on the show, have them be smart enough to make a connection or call upon things that have happened and are public knowledge.

the problem with Karen is she doesnt listen to anything/ anyone and keeps being selfish and doing what she thinks needs to be done which is why she is always in trouble/danger

Foreshadowing (SPECULATION/DD COMICS SPOILERS)
her ridiculously flagposted death in S3

THIS! This is what I'm asked for as well. That happy medium which hasn't happened yet. I don't need every episode to have a name drop or call back, but when stuff starts getting weird for the characters on the show, have them be smart enough to make a connection or call upon things that have happened and are public knowledge.
Missed opportunities;
Daredevil discussing The Black Sky in front of Mahoney.

DD: "I just don't see resurrection as being possible"

Mahoney: "I don't know man... there was this time that I got MIND CONTROLLED"

I'm not done with the season yet but after episode 4 it feels like that could have been a really awesome miniseries. I love daredevil to death, but all of these pacing complaints could be solved if they choose to avoid 13 episodes. Is there a reason why any show is 13 episodes besides just to have them? Seems pretty arbitrary and I would prefer a super tight 10 episodes. Again not done yet and I really don't mind all of the daredevil goodness I'm being fed, but that could be one of the solutions to all of the criticism in here.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

and she got ben murdered. i wont forget that.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Foreshadowing (SPECULATION/DD COMICS SPOILERS)
her ridiculously flagposted death in S3

Missed opportunities;
Daredevil discussing The Black Sky in front of Mahoney.

DD: "I just don't see resurrection as being possible"

Mahoney: "I don't know man... there was this time that I got MIND CONTROLLED"
Response to SPOILER part

What? He was mind controlled in JJ? I don't remember. Yeesh, that's kind of a big miss. Also, would've loved to see a story idea on the white board in the news paper office about PYM Industries disappearing when Karen went there around August.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not done with the season yet but after episode 4 it feels like that could have been a really awesome miniseries. I love daredevil to death, but all of these pacing complaints could be solved if they choose to avoid 13 episodes. Is there a reason why any show is 13 episodes besides just to have them? Seems pretty arbitrary and I would prefer a super tight 10 episodes. Again not done yet and I really don't mind all of the daredevil goodness I'm being fed, but that could be one of the solutions to all of the criticism in here.

I imagine there is some contract clause and the staff probably get paid more if the show is 13 episodes.

That said, these seasons totally need to be trimmed to 10.

Moff

just watched episode 3 and that fight scene was so good
it captured perfectly the 80s comic book/video game aesthetics with thugs/bikers coming at the hero with chains, baseball bats and crowbars, but the whole thing was captured in a very modern eastern way that reminded of movies like the raid, very well done

JJ I can understand being so separated but Daredevil is really at the level where it becomes weird.
Daredevil is fighting a league with immortal ninjas in New York City and yet it still trys to say its low key.
He is the sole hero of NYC at the moment the movies should at least reference trying to recruit him for the Avengers.

And in relation to Spiderman,
Punisher is killing 30+ people in NYC like a warzone and supposedly even kills the DA
if he is established pre-Civil War there should definitely have been some reference to him trying to find Punisher during this season.

Heck i'd take small stuff like an Oscorp or Daily Bugle reference

Maybe Sony will be smart enough to ask Marvel if they can use this Kingpin, Daredevil and Punisher eventually.

Why the heck isn't Avengers Tower in the skyline in this show?
If you're that lazy why are they even connected.

JJ I can understand being so separated but Daredevil is really at the level where it becomes weird.
Daredevil is fighting a league with immortal ninjas in New York City and yet it still trys to say its low key.
He is the sole hero of NYC at the moment the movies should at least reference trying to recruit him for the Avengers.

And in relation to Spiderman,
Punisher is killing 30+ people in NYC like a warzone and supposedly even kills the DA
if he is established pre-Civil War there should definitely have been some reference to him trying to find Punisher during this season.

Why the heck isn't Avengers Tower in the skyline in this show?

Spiderman I can sort of understand, the rights there must be weird what with Marvel technically wholly owning TV rights but not movie rights.

But yeah, even if it's not an Avengers recruitment, they'd surely take interest.

And as for Avengers tower;

4rab2LGr.png

'Stark Tower ruined during Battle of NY' even though we see it in AOU... cute little reference to the fact they can't be bothered to foot the bill for CG. In fact, the building in Stark Tower's real-life location can be fully visible in several DD/JJ shots :\

ryseing

I absolutely agree with this, especially since this season has such a heavy focus on the morality of vigilantism (HELLO CIVIL WAR). Sure, you don't want to put either team into a creative corner with forced tie-ins but the connections are right there and not a stretch to put together whatsoever.

I absolutely agree with this, especially since this season has such a heavy focus on the morality of vigilantism (HELLO CIVIL WAR). Sure, you don't want to put either team into a creative corner with forced tie-ins but the connections are right there and not a stretch to put together whatsoever.

The Punisher is also a perfect, PERFECT piece of ammunition for Ross. "Not 50 miles from here, Hell's Kitchen torn up by a man who thinks the laws do not apply to him."

snack

After watching episode 3,
where you see the skull x day of the punisher at the end of the episode... Did that circular thing in his head trigger his killings? Maybe it is a bullet of some sort?

where you see the skull x day of the punisher at the end of the episode... Did that circular thing in his head trigger his killings? Maybe it is a bullet of some sort?

Er do we really need that sort of justification? It's pretty clear what triggered his killings... his daughter got her face shot off in his arms.

Dai101

Banned

Nah. He's just cray cray, that's all.

burgervan

The problem largely isn't with Foggy, it's with Matt making poor life choices and forcing Foggy into a corner.

Foggy, the character, is fine. The actor portraying him is not. He's not as distractingly bad as he was in season 1, but whenever he's asked to step up to the plate with a big scene, he falls flat on his face.

Foggy, the character, is fine. The actor portraying him is not. He's not as distractingly bad as he was in season 1, but whenever he's asked to step up to the plate with a big scene, he falls flat on his face.

On the other hand, I think he sells the relationship perfectly. Different strokes I guess.

Spiderman I can sort of understand, the rights there must be weird what with Marvel technically wholly owning TV rights but not movie rights.

But yeah, even if it's not an Avengers recruitment, they'd surely take interest.
Yeah but by the time this was in production they knew Spiderman would be in Civil War, as long as his origin isn't in or connected to those events you could have one of the 5 second news report that just adds on "hopefully Spiderman can find this menace" or a Bugle article saying something bad about him in relation to those events.

Yeah but by the time this was in production they knew Spiderman would be in Civil War, as long as his origin isn't in or connected to those events you could have one of the 5 second news report that just adds on "hopefully Spiderman can find this menace" or a Bugle article saying something bad about him in relation to those events.

I think they want the ground zero for him to be Civil War, then maybe we'll see references after. It literally makes no logical sense. Spidey would be swinging round Hell's Kitchen all the damn time, it'd be borderline insulting if they have 4+ big vigilantes in The Defenders operating and Spidey doesn't meet them once.

Neoxon

I think they want the ground zero for him to be Civil War, then maybe we'll see references after. It literally makes no logical sense. Spidey would be swinging round Hell's Kitchen all the damn time, it'd be borderline insulting if they have 4+ big vigilantes in The Defenders operating and Spidey doesn't meet them once.
But Spidey usually operates in Midtown & Times Square while the MCU Defenders are mainly in Hell's Kitchen & Harlem.

Mifune

Mehmber

Like his big scene in Episode 3. Oh my god what terrible acting. And facing him off against Rosario Dawson was not a wise move, as the difference in talent was painfully obvious.

Neoxon

And as for Avengers tower;

4rab2LGr.png

'Stark Tower ruined during Battle of NY' even though we see it in AOU... cute little reference to the fact they can't be bothered to foot the bill for CG. In fact, the building in Stark Tower's real-life location can be fully visible in several DD/JJ shots :
Stark Tower did get wrecked during the Battle of New York, & was repurposed into Avengers Tower before AoU.

SystemBug

Made some daredevil fanart cause season 2 is so goood!

I know its a different design but we can hope ~

I really want to add a bullet lodged in his skull, oh well might do that when I revisit this piece next week

Top Bottom