• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

Kelsdesu

Going in! Episode 1!

20160320_120558_zpst27udcaz.jpg

How we do it on the west coast!

Neoxon

Spidey goes all around NY, partially why him and DD are often working together in comics. NY isn't THAT big.
Then hopefully the Marvel-Sony deal extends to Netflix, as well. If I recall, Tom Holland & Jon Bernthal prepared for their MCU auditions together, so it'd be nice to see Spidey & Punisher actually interact.

icespide

Banned
let's be realistic people.

the marvel tv shows get to be cute and make little references to the MCU, but the actual MCU movies will never have large connections to the TV shows. that's just the way it is.

the best we will ever realistically get is like a 30 second appearance of the Netflix characters in Infinity War.

Spider-man appearing, hell even being mentioned, in any of these shows is a pipe dream.

let's be realistic people.

the marvel tv shows get to be cute and make little references to the MCU, but the actual MCU movies will never have large connections to the TV shows. that's just the way it is.

the best we will ever realistically get is like a 30 second appearance of the Netflix characters in Infinity War.

Spider-man appearing, hell even being mentioned, in any of these shows is a pipe dream.
Defeatist attitude and really a shame :\ Why not? The shows are massively popular.

Neoxon

At the very least, I hope the Netflix side of the MCU has access to Spidey's catalogue of characters.

Also, Punisher drops the F-bomb in Episode 3.

Episode 11:

Karen becomes a reporter but now it's about a relationship. So typical that the main chick's big plot is her love life. BOOORING. What is this Arrow?

Devil

I must say, after the first 4 episodes I'm a little disappointed so far. Liked Season 1 a lot, I am not feeling it with S2 yet. Character and plot progression has been extremely predictible and a little boring. Hope it picks up now with the new character at the end of Ep 4.

Ep 4
The episode tried so hard at giving me emotions and just failed. The Punisher's monologue about his family was terrible and soooo looong. Also: surprise, he lost his family. And can Matt and Karen just bang already?

PS: Does anybody else dislike the ramped up violence? Sure, S1 had some gory moments as well, but now they seem to have become regular. Shotgun to the face in all detail, wasn't necessary, and just one moment out of many violent ones.

Defeatist attitude and really a shame :\ Why not? The shows are massively popular.

Some people already complain about The Hand, so it would be infinitely more awkward if these series took place in the same world as aliens invasions and super robots. I certainly don't need this shit, even though I'm fine with ninjas.

Razmos

Just started season 2 today, and I just wanted to drop in and say that Charlie Cox's booty looks mighty fine in that leather suit.

That is all

Eidan

This season further cements what I've already known. That the Netflix Marvel villains are several rungs above any of the villains we're seeing on the big screen.

Episode 9 was fucking awesome.

I was waiting for Fisk to show up again. And goddamn the prison fight scene was brutal. And amazing. Jon Berthal was a perfect casting choice.

jackdoe

Episode 12:

The
"track their breath thing" is weird. How does he fight anyone else?
Well,
he tracks by heartbeat. But the whole thing is stupid. If they can mask their fucking heartbeat, they should be able to hold their breath indefinitely. It's in the same bullshit category after all.

ryseing

This season further cements what I've already known. That the Netflix Marvel villains are several rungs above any of the villains we're seeing on the big screen.

11 hours of content that can go to darker places as opposed to two hours of content that has to remain PG-13.

I'm not excusing the failures of the big screen villains but the Netflix teams have a much easier job.

[/spoiler]

I really don't get the Karen hate, she's been more likable than Matt so far.

DAW has been much better this season. She had her moments in S1 but she's been given some good stuff to work with this time around.

Fuchsdh

Spiderman I can sort of understand, the rights there must be weird what with Marvel technically wholly owning TV rights but not movie rights.

But yeah, even if it's not an Avengers recruitment, they'd surely take interest.

And as for Avengers tower;

4rab2LGr.png

'Stark Tower ruined during Battle of NY' even though we see it in AOU... cute little reference to the fact they can't be bothered to foot the bill for CG. In fact, the building in Stark Tower's real-life location can be fully visible in several DD/JJ shots :\

Throwing in a matte extension would be trivial compared to some of the effects they do (like the seam removal for the "one take" fight sequence down the stairwell.)

I loved every episode. I really do miss Ben Urich though. Punisher was great and Elektra was great as well. My favorite guy is Nobu though. I was bummed about the closing of the law office but I thought it was for he best. Part of Murdock's thing as a lawyer is that he can feel when someone is lying. I want to do a second run soon.

I'm enjoying this season far more than the first (which I thought was pretty boring, to be honest). I'm on episode 11, so unless things go downhill in the last couple episodes, I'd call this season a success.

Best parts for me are:

The Punisher (a character I've always hated). They humanized him and made me actually feel sorry for him. I don't like his methods, but I understand.

The Kingpin. He was the best part of last season, and still comes on strong here.

The relationship troubles between Matt, Foggy, and Karen. Complex friendship/relationship issues in a superhero show or movie can help keep it grounded. They've done well here.

The courtroom drama/detective work. I eat shit like this up with a spoon.

The worst parts for me are:

Elektra. I'm not finding myself interested in her character, her history with Matt, or her mission. A big thud for me here.

Stick. Never liked his character. Don't see that changing anytime soon. Too shallow. Too unbelievable.

Fight choreography. For the most part, it's fine. But just like with the first season, I'm seeing way too many "swing and miss" moments where the shot is being filmed from the wrong angle and exposes that the actors are nowhere near hitting each other. I can't speak for anyone else, but that type of thing draws me right out of a scene.

Keep in mind, I'm speaking from the point of view of a non-comic book fan. Maybe my opinions on some of this would be different if I were an old time Daredevil fan, I don't know.

Anyway, good show. Definitely room for improvement (some of the writing could be tightened up a bit so non-action scenes don't drag on longer than they should. Same goes for some of the dialog), but a solid effort.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Up to episode 10 and I'm liking it so far, doesn't seem to be falling off as hard as DD and JJ both did in their first season. I'm also not as put off by the Hand related storylines as it involves Elektra and I'm enjoying her more than expected.

The Punisher has been great so far as well and loved seeing
Fisk again

Red

I like Stick as a character, but the Black Sky plot
is so vague about everything that it is impossible to feel invested. We don't know the stakes. We have no idea what the Black Sky is or why we should feel threatened by it. Mystery is good to an extent but when the entire arc is asking questions it never gives answers to we're left just watching things happen without knowing the reasons why.

It's the weakest part of the show by far. Was true for S1 as well.

Well this show did one thing for me.
I had to have figures of Punisher, Daredevil and Elektra afterwards.

Kinda weird that even with collecting the huge Marvel Universe line I never got around to those 3.

Asbel

11 hours of content that can go to darker places as opposed to two hours of content that has to remain PG-13.

I'm not excusing the failures of the big screen villains but the Netflix teams have a much easier job.

DAW has been much better this season. She had her moments in S1 but she's been given some good stuff to work with this time around.

There's no excuse for wasting Baron Strucker like they did. They didn't even try to make him a threat, just a complete throw away character. Why even bother using a known character with history. I hope the same doesn't happen again in Civil War.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Episode 13:

LOLOLOLOL at that god damn ninja army. Show's gone full Arrow.

becaue its ninjas or because of the low number / quality

if its because its ninjas, I hope you realise how ridiculous you sound by saying anything DD related is copying anythingn Green Arrow related when it comes to ninjas

SRG01

Fight choreography. For the most part, it's fine. But just like with the first season, I'm seeing way too many "swing and miss" moments where the shot is being filmed from the wrong angle and exposes that the actors are nowhere near hitting each other. I can't speak for anyone else, but that type of thing draws me right out of a scene.

I'm not sure if the production dollars got cut or something, but the show definitely feels lower budget than last season. The editing quality, stunts, effects, and so on are noticeably worse.

Kyoufu

if its because its ninjas, I hope you realise how ridiculous you sound by saying anything DD related is copying anythingn Green Arrow related when it comes to ninjas

It's not about copying, it's just plain bad. I don't want mysticism in season 3. The show needs to remain grounded. Leave the mystics for bad shows like Arrow.

Zeliard

All the Netflix actors have it in their contracts! Iger's said that if the Netflix series were really popular, they could even become movies themselves. Such bullshit man. We get a boring charismatic-devoid jobber like Renner Hawkeye for four films, but they can't have Daredevil help Team Cap out of a jam for 4 minutes of screentime? Or jesus christ, even Ross showing a clip of Daredevil and saying "Look how your actions have led the populace astray..". ANYTHING.

It's all kind of connected. In a way. Sorta. LOOK THERE'S A NEWSPAPER IN THE BACKGROUND WITH STARK ON IT AHH. The film/TV are currently 'connected' in the same way Spidey and Dr. Strange were in 2004. They might as well not bother at this stage.

Where this gets a bit silly to me is when Murdock claims disbelief in the magical or strange despite the well-documented existence of supernatural beings and powerful extra-terrestrials, who also had a major clash in his city. I know the guy's Catholic, but come on.

I'm saying it's
ridiculous they use an army of ninjas armed with katanas and long bows. It looks very similar to when the League of Jobbers appears in Arrow and you can't help but laugh. It's like am I taking crazy pills or how is this group effective outside of financial arm-bending?

It's not about copying, it's just plain bad. I don't want mysticism in season 3. The show needs to remain grounded. Leave the mystics for bad shows like Arrow.

That has absolutely nothing to do with why Arrow turned into such a shit show.
Well besides that being part of the whole stealing main features from a better character's stories which is a problem with Arrow.

Where this gets a bit silly to me is when Murdock claims disbelief in the magical or strange despite the well-documented existence of supernatural beings and powerful extra-terrestrials, who also had a major clash in his city. I know the guy's Catholic, but come on.

Dude can also combat people by tracking their heart beat. HE HIMSELF IS AN ANOMALY.

Even in the first season they referenced the first Avengers movie didn't they?

Top Bottom