• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

Where this gets a bit silly to me is when Murdock claims disbelief in the magical or strange despite the well-documented existence of supernatural beings and powerful extra-terrestrials, who also had a major clash in his city. I know the guy's Catholic, but come on.
Seeing is believing. Aliens and super tech is one thing; a mystical millennia-old undead cult is another. Same category as believing mind control exists. Remember, people like Matt don't have the perspective of the MCU we have.

I've only just watched episode 9 but 8 and 9 were baller as fuck. Episode 8's ending got me hyped and episode 9 delivered.

Episode 9 was fucking awesome.

I was waiting for Fisk to show up again. And goddamn the prison fight scene was brutal. And amazing. Jon Berthal was a perfect casting choice.

I'm only on episode 10 but episode 3 and 9 had some
amazing fight scenes. I also loved how they brought the Kingpin back.

It's been so hard for me to watch this season sparingly, I go in thinking "okay I'm only gonna watch two to maybe three episodes max tonight". Then I end up watching four or five because I want to see what happens next so badly.

It's not about copying, it's just plain bad. I don't want mysticism in season 3. The show needs to remain grounded. Leave the mystics for bad shows like Arrow.

Lol grounded. In a world that's filled with aliens, and gods, and talking raccoons.

It should have some level of realism I agree but that'll get boring. Quick.

Seeing is believing. Aliens and super tech is one thing; a mystical millennia-old undead cult is another. Same category as believing mind control exists. Remember, people like Matt don't have the perspective of the MCU we have.

Matt has the same perspective. In season 1 Fisk's right hand man even mentions Thor's hammer so I'm sure the general population (Matt included) have knowledge of really bizarre things. Him not budging is the show's writers thinking they can exploit this particular flaw, they can do that if they want but it comes off as bad writing.

Tugatrix

ep 8
Damn girl that was a bit uncalled for, cutting a boy neck. The fights have been a bit underwhelming until ep 8 final fight, the only thing that cross my mind is that the suit worsened the mobility in the fights

Kyoufu

Then dont watch it.

If it falls into the same rabbit hole of mediocrity that plagues Arrow then I eventually will stop watching it.

The non-Mystic story arcs have been incredible and very well executed. I want more of that. If they want to branch out and bring in wackiness then at least go for something that Marvel is good at: Mutants/Inhumans.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's not about copying, it's just plain bad. I don't want mysticism in season 3. The show needs to remain grounded. Leave the mystics for bad shows like Arrow.

I dont want mysticism in my comic book tv show about a comic with mysticism

alrighty then

jackdoe

Daredevil is someone who can hear a pin prick from miles away and can smell and identify copper. He should definitely be less skeptical than he is written on the show.

Matt has the same perspective. In season 1 Fisk's right hand man even mentions Thor's hammer so I'm sure the general population (Matt included) have knowledge of really bizarre things. Him not budging is the show's writers thinking they can exploit this particular flaw, they can do that if they want but it comes off as bad writing.
Just because they know there's a hero named Thor who can fly and has a hammer doesn't mean they know Thor is actually an alien god from another dimension with a magical hammer.

I'm not sure if the production dollars got cut or something, but the show definitely feels lower budget than last season. The editing quality, stunts, effects, and so on are noticeably worse.

Yeah, something's up. Here's just one example of a bad fight scene featuring terrible editing/angles. I briefly froze two frames that occurred right next to each other to show just how obvious the "swing and miss" was. Remember, I didn't remove a single frame.

punisher.gif

I'm not trying to nitpick here. Like I said on the previous page, I'm really enjoying this season far more than the last. But stuff like this is very obvious to me and takes me out of the action when it occurs.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

alrighty then

Why does it matter that it was in the source material when it just plain out sucks and feels completely out of place in the TV show?

jackdoe

alrighty then
To be fair, if it were handled better than there would probably be fewer complaints. It isn't handled very well, the logistics behind it are nebulous at best, and it feels like a distraction from the better aspects of the season (which ended up being the more grounded segments).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why does it matter that it was in the source material when it just plain out sucks and feels completely out of place in the TV show?

but it doesnt feel out of place.

lets say they made a tv show of gears of war. but instead of monsters that come out of the ground, they are now fighting humans, because "I dont want monsters its not realistic"

then why would it be a gears of war show?

To be fair, if it were handled better than there would probably be fewer complaints. It isn't handled very well, the logistics behind it are nebulous at best, and it feels like a distraction from the better aspects of the season (which ended up being the more grounded segments).

I actually agree that it was handled poorly. but the person in question is flat out saying "no ninjas, no mysticism, swords and bows lol use guns"

Kyoufu

you absolutely are.

am I also allowed to critique your opinion?

I don't even understand your criticism. I'm saying the show works by remaining grounded. What doesn't work is immortal ninjas. The exchange between Matt and Fisk got me really excited for his eventual release, whereas I never want to see immortal Nobu ever again.

If you enjoy the mysticism, then great, but it's clearly the weakest aspect of the show.

ep 8
Damn girl that was a bit uncalled for, cutting a boy neck. The fights have been a bit underwhelming until ep 8 final fight, the only thing that cross my mind is that the suit worsened the mobility in the fights

You know, so far that has been my only (ep.8 spoilers)
real problem with the season so far, was Elektra kicking Stick out and getting sliced up because she hesitated killing someone because Matt asked her to only to slice some guys throat. I just really didn't like how that was written how they spent so much time on having her trying to become a better person and throw it all away in an instant.

Fuchsdh

What's bizarre is that those points you make (which are solid) didn't get brought up. Matt not buying into the mysticism makes sense. But Stick just says "well fine don't believe me" and makes a Catholic dig instead of pointing out that there are aliens from another plane that visited Earth in the past, that there were aliens in New York, et al. It's an issue because they don't address it in any way that makes sense, which is where the "keep the Marvel connections on the down-low" hurts them.

Instead of actually hashing out the weirdness, they just hand-wave it, and that's where I think the complaints that the Dark Sky stuff is too vague and doesn't fit with the grounded feel of the rest of the show absolutely does come into play. Everyone's either believing in it or saying its impossible instead of trying to rectify it with something we already know about. It feels like the writers just want to keep it vague because that way they get to literally magic every plot point they want (like the mind-controlled guys) and never have to answer for it.

Tobor

It's not out of place and anyone who actually watched the show knows the mysticism isnt going away and they should know why.

Yup, just as I imagined, episode 4 was incredible.

I felt five was a bit of a letdown after all of that, but wow at episode 4. Just wow. They went to some dark places for a Marvel show...

Gives me a great hope for any potential Punisher series that might come out of this. Berenthal absolutely killed it as Punisher.

jackdoe

Yup, just as I imagined, episode 4 was incredible.

I felt five was a bit of a letdown after all of that, but wow at episode 4. Just wow. They went to some dark places for a Marvel show...

Gives me a great hope for any potential Punisher series that might come out of this. Berenthal absolutely killed it as Punisher.
Jon Bernthal is hands down the best actor on the show.

Rhaknar

I don't even understand your criticism. I'm saying the show works by remaining grounded. What doesn't work is immortal ninjas. The exchange between Matt and Fisk got me really excited for his eventual release, whereas I never want to see immortal Nobu ever again.

If you enjoy the mysticism, then great, but it's clearly the weakest aspect of the show.

honest question:

do you intend do watch Iron Fist?

It's not out of place and anyone who actually watched the show knows the mysticism isnt going away and they should know why.

Yep. We're going further down the rabbit hole the longer this continues. If The Hand is too much for some, the reactions to Iron Fist are going to be amazing.

Doom.

Banned
Yup episode 4 was violent

So Frank vs DD
is it me when it comes to the DD seems nerf. DD took out an enitre gang on way down the building, but he looks weak against Frank

Rhaknar

I eagerly await the "too much Kung Fu" complaints.

its not even the kung fu part. its the mystical city in another dimension

and...you know... the dragon :p lol

Assuming of course they are faithful, which so far they have been with these shows, with whatever changes they make

jackdoe

Yep. We're going further down the rabbit hole the longer this continues. If The Hand is too much for some, the reactions to Iron Fist are going to be amazing.
The showrunners of Iron Fist just need to handle it better than Daredevil. They can't pussyfoot around the issue like they attempted to in Season 2. They have to go all in, get into the nitty gritty of the how and the why, and stop being so damn vague.

Kyoufu

honest question:

do you intend do watch Iron Fist?

I have no idea what Iron Fist is about, but yes, I'll check it out. Whether I enjoy it or not remains to be seen.

My issue isn't even with mysticism itself, but its poor execution in these kind of shows. Arrow was better without it and I enjoyed the non-Hand episodes much more in this show. I'm not writing DD off when it comes to implementing mystic elements, but I believe the show should play to its strengths even if it means moving away from the source material.

KarmaCow

Assuming of course they are faithful, which so far they have been with these shows, with whatever changes they make

I'd be happy to be wrong but I can't see how they'll pull off something like that with the show's budget.

kadotsu

Banned
It's pretty obvious that they budgeted this season lower. There were zero shots of the world DD sees, which is kind of sad because it would have elevated some of the ninja fights.

Rhaknar

I'd be happy to be wrong but I can't see how they'll pull off something like that with the show's budget.

oh I agree

The synopsis seems to have it taking place in New York again... So we might not even see those things.

there is zero chance you dont see some of it in flashbacks, I dont think anyone expected the show to be in Kun Lun

The synopsis seems to have it taking place in New York again... So we might not even see those things.

It's pretty obvious that they budgeted this season lower. There were zero shots of the world DD sees, which is kind of sad because it would have elevated some of the ninja fights.
Probably blew it all on that
one "web slinging"
scene for DD. That literally came out of nowhere.

Yeah, I think at this point there's too many plates spinning in terms of mysteries, secrets and unrevealed pasts. They need to start explaining some of them before people lose track of what's going on.
yep. I definitely agree with you there. spoil
we still don't know what's up with matt's mom. we know she's alive, but we don't know what the fuck is up with her. there wa one prequel scene where a nun calls her "matty" which could've been her, but they didn't fucking clarify. the fuck.

Tobor

At the very least there's going to be talk about it, and probably some flashbacks, and maybe some hinting that leads to more in future seasons.

In other words, it will be awesome and more of exactly what people are whining about here.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The show would have been far more realistic and gritty if it had Samurais instead Of ninjas. Everyone knows those are far more grounded.

Just because they know there's a hero named Thor who can fly and has a hammer doesn't mean they know Thor is actually an alien god from another dimension with a magical hammer.

Of course, but would seeing some dude fly around and use thunder on a portal in the sky that's sending in flying alien worms make you think, "hey, maybe things aren't as they seem... did that man just turn into a giant green monster man?"

Unfortunately, this level of skepticism is really odd. Spoiler for Jessica Jones:

In the series it's mentioned Jessica knows of other supers like her, many more in fact. Kilgrave was talked about by the public as well.

It's an inconsistent trait. He himself can do feats that can only be considered magic as he's breaking the laws of physics.

The show would have been far more realistic and gritty if it had Samurais instead Of ninjas. Everyone knows those are far more grounded.

Modern and more tactical ninjas would have been better received.

man this hand shit is boring as hell. on episode 10 now and it's crazy how i'm anticipating karen and foggy scenes more than daredevil and elektra.

all because of their involvement with the punisher case and just the punisher in general. i don't care for this ninja shit tbh. love the interactions between daredevil and elektra but i will say episode 8 was the most boring one of the season so far and it's clear why.

also for some reason the action takes a step down too when it gets to the ninja shit, it doesn't hold a candle to into the badlands for instance. choreography is way more raw when he's fighting normal thugs. i know comic fans love this stuff with
stick and the hand
but it's a huge step down from the street-level crimes, especially that 1-4 arc.

loved in episode 9
the scenes following kingpin, prison politics is always enjoyable tv. and then punisher to top it all off. lets face it, this is the punisher show at this point. daredevil and his ninjas can kick rocks lol

anyways 4 more to go.

Anung

Un Rama

Yeah that was probably most disappointing aspect of this season. Incorporating his Sonar Sense into a fight could be super interesting and unique.

Spoiler tag those gifs if you'd be so kind. Not everyone has made it through the season but would still like to discuss the show.

Episode 4

Terrific graveyard scene with Punisher and Daredevil. I teared up.

I also love the way they fought themselves out of that warehouse. Daredevil was so incredible.

Also love his updated cowl!!!!

just watched episode 3 and that fight scene was so good
it captured perfectly the 80s comic book/video game aesthetics with thugs/bikers coming at the hero with chains, baseball bats and crowbars, but the whole thing was captured in a very modern eastern way that reminded of movies like the raid, very well done

Ep3
I thought the same thing as that scene played out. The camera work and coreagraphy are phenomenal in this show.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Modern and more tactical ninjas would have been better received.

I was being facetious, I mean they are freaking ninjas. The whole idea of highly trained assassins clan wearing black pj's and ski masks relying on throwing stars and Katanas is not exactly something you make less ridiculous by making it "tactical".

I was being facetious, I mean they are freaking ninjas. The whole idea of highly trained assassins clan wearing black pj's and ski masks relying on throwing stars and Katanas is not exactly something you make less ridiculous by making it "tactical".

Light armor, silenced firearms, knives. It isn't too difficult to modernize a ninja. Black clothes, katana, and shurikans aren't the defining trait of a ninja same way being a soldier isn't all about using a sword and shield.

man this hand shit is boring as hell. on episode 10 now and it's crazy how i'm anticipating karen and foggy scenes more than daredevil and elektra.

all because of their involvement with the punisher case and just the punisher in general. i don't care for this ninja shit tbh. love the interactions between daredevil and elektra but i will say episode 8 was the most boring one of the season so far and it's clear why.

also for some reason the action takes a step down too when it gets to the ninja shit, it doesn't hold a candle to into the badlands for instance. choreography is way more raw when he's fighting normal thugs. i know comic fans love this stuff with
stick and the hand
but it's a huge step down from the street-level crimes, especially that 1-4 arc.

loved in episode 9
the scenes following kingpin, prison politics is always enjoyable tv. and then punisher to top it all off. lets face it, this is the punisher show at this point. daredevil and his ninjas can kick rocks lol

anyways 4 more to go.

You're unlikely to enjoy the remaining episodes going by what you've said here.

asagami_

Banned
I wonder if (late spoilers of Daredevil S2 and Jessica Jones)
in a hypothetical future Punisher's season there is going to be a plotline about the shaddy operations inside the army. The Nuke can be there, too.

And maybe I don't know very well about Iron Fist,
but it is definitely very possible that The Hand will appear in that show.
So at this point, I can see at least three plotlines withouth resolution between Daredevil and Jessica Jones:
- The secrets operations inside the army.
- The IGH stuff, that may be related to the army.
- The Hand stuff.

Man, the MCU is a really weird world, but is like the comics -and a certain way, the real world- is.

Just finished
The Black Sky nonsense really killed my hype for this show. Everything was great until you throw in this vague plot that I have no idea how to feel invested in. What is this war? Who were those kids? Wtf is up with the urn? Is Stick immortal? Why wasn't New York destroyed like Stick kept saying?

Ugh. Otherwise the season was phenomenal. Wished Frank and DD teamed up sooner though.

Top Bottom