• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 |OT| No More Half Measures - March 18th on Netflix

So guys, what's the overall consensus on this one?

Good? Bad?

I've seen the first episode and I'm wanting more so far...

great first four episodes, then it gets spotty after that but it's still pretty enjoyable. frank castle is the MVP and most improved from season 1 goes to the karen subplot

At the very least there's going to be talk about it, and probably some flashbacks, and maybe some hinting that leads to more in future seasons.

In other words, it will be awesome and more of exactly what people are whining about here.
I don't disagree but I don't see the flashbacks looking anything more mystical than those of Elektra's then. They've barely used any CG whatsoever in any of the Netflix shows so far so I doubt we'll be seeing a lot of it in Iron Fist.

I think the difference with Iron Fist is people expect a mystical show heading in, so it's got none of that weird tone shift from gritty realistic crime drama to poorly executed ninja mumble jumble like for this show, and the former completely overshadowing the latter which makes it look much worse.

All I know is that if this exact version of The Punisher doesn't get his own series from this, someone has their head up their ass.

Edit: I should clarify that someone in charge has their head up their ass. Some random bozo having their head up their ass would have only a slight effect on what TV shows get made.

Dysun

Good? Bad?

Great, and much improved. Most of the criticism comes from adaptation of the source material, so if you're comfortable with that it shouldn't be a big concern

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Good? Bad?

fizzled out by the end but still great overall. I guess your enjoyment of it will depend on how much comic book stuff you can handle (or even want)

Red

Matt has the same perspective. In season 1 Fisk's right hand man even mentions Thor's hammer so I'm sure the general population (Matt included) have knowledge of really bizarre things. Him not budging is the show's writers thinking they can exploit this particular flaw, they can do that if they want but it comes off as bad writing.
I don't think because one weird thing exists in the world, that everyone should have unabashed credulity for every weird claim made. In the case of Black Sky this is particularly true since
Stick says outright no one knows what it does, and it has never been activated. That's saying it might not do anything at all. To be honest that's one of the things that bugs me most about the entire plot line... If no one has ever seen what Black Sky does, why assume it exists? Why believe it is a threat? Why pursue it at all?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't disagree but I don't see the flashbacks looking anything more mystical than those of Elektra's then. They've barely used any CG whatsoever in any of the Netflix shows so far so I doubt we'll be seeing a lot of it in Iron Fist.

I think the difference with Iron Fist is people expect a mystical show heading in, so it's got none of that weird tone shift from gritty realistic crime drama to poorly executed ninja mumble jumble like for this show, and the former completely overshadowing the latter which makes it look much worse.

if you need to completely change Iron Fist if youre not going to use CGI because...well...

4921894-1028787571-iron-.jpg

His hands are literally on fire when he uses his powers >_> But I mean, unless these shows have NO budget at all, that cant be that difficult to achieve, he wouldnt really use it much during the show anyway, and Flash does great fire CGI with Firestorm and those CW shows cant have big budgets

tumblr_ng4fy1an0M1qmrflko1_500.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Great, and much improved. Most of the criticism comes from adaptation of the source material, so if you're comfortable with that it shouldn't be a big concern

I'm not familiar at all with the source material and the issues with the show are in no way related to that.

man this hand shit is boring as hell. on episode 10 now and it's crazy how i'm anticipating karen and foggy scenes more than daredevil and elektra.

all because of their involvement with the punisher case and just the punisher in general. i don't care for this ninja shit tbh. love the interactions between daredevil and elektra but i will say episode 8 was the most boring one of the season so far and it's clear why.

also for some reason the action takes a step down too when it gets to the ninja shit, it doesn't hold a candle to into the badlands for instance. choreography is way more raw when he's fighting normal thugs. i know comic fans love this stuff with
stick and the hand
but it's a huge step down from the street-level crimes, especially that 1-4 arc.

loved in episode 9
the scenes following kingpin, prison politics is always enjoyable tv. and then punisher to top it all off. lets face it, this is the punisher show at this point. daredevil and his ninjas can kick rocks lol

anyways 4 more to go.
There's an arc in the comics that would be right up your alley and would make for some gooooood ass TV regarding your thoughts on episode 9.

There's an arc in the comics that would be right up your alley and would make for some gooooood ass TV regarding your thoughts on episode 9.

it's that brubaker one i'm guessing? haven't read his run yet. only bendis and some of miller. funnily enough i also thought bendis' stuff worked so well when it was just street-level crimes as opposed to the other hero cameos and stuff. daredevil vs. kingpin and his criminals from bendis was easily script-ready ready for TV/Film from day one.

Finished tonight.

Elektra and Castle are the real MVPs. Punisher arc is better. Karen and Foggy are way improved. Matt is still a dumbass.

Dysun

I'm not familiar at all with the source material and the issues with the show are in no way related to that.

The mysticism and ninja stuff is the biggest critique I've seen so far.
Those story lines go hand in hand with DD comics

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Light armor, silenced firearms, knives. It isn't too difficult to modernize a ninja. Black clothes, katana, and shurikans aren't the defining trait of a ninja same way being a soldier isn't all about using a sword and shield.

Then they aren't really ninjas in the pop culture sense. When people refer to ninjas they are almost always referencing the stereotypical all in black, silent, martial artists of Asian descent awaits. Sometimes they are magical or supernatural in their abilities and well some are Naruto though you could argue that they are barely ninjas after a while.

If you just give them body armor and silenced guns they are basically a SWAT team or special forces or something along those lines.

it's that brubaker one i'm guessing? haven't read his run yet. only bendis and some of miller. funnily enough i also thought bendis' stuff worked so well when it was just street-level crimes as opposed to the other hero cameos and stuff. daredevil vs. kingpin and his criminals from bendis was easily script-ready ready for TV/Film from day one.
Yeah it is the Brubaker one. Greatness breh
And I was thinking the same regarding the tonal shifts in the comics. It's in there and it's the same shift as the TV show for the most part, but because they are comic books it isn't too out there.

Maximo

You would think Daredevils armor/suit would help him more, dude seems to back down from any attack made to even the most protected "looking" parts of it.

Red

You would think Daredevils armor/suit would help him more, dude seems to back down from any attack made to even the most protected "looking" parts of it.
I dunno.

He got really fucked up in season one, over and over again. The first fight with Nobu left him scarred all over his body, and he calls attention to that. He doesn't get cut like that in season two, and suffers more from bruises due to impacts. The worst he gets is an arrow through the shoulder, but that's without the armor.

In episode one he survives a bullet to the head because of his armor.

Just finished it and I love it even more than season one. Pretty much all of that is due to the absolutely perfect casting of Elektra and Punisher.

That moment when you click on the spoiler thread accidentally thinking it's the normal thread without being finished with the season
snoop.png

This just happened to me a few moments ago. Luckily I clicked out before it became too spoilery.

General spoiler below not sure exactly where it lands:

Saw the word
mysticism
and knew I'd made a huge mistake. But I still have no idea what it relates to do I'm still enjoying the season. On ep8 right now.

GavinUK86

Episode 9 talk.

What was the deal with Karen when she looked in the folder Ben left for her? It was articles about her brothers death right? But why did the other guy say he nor Ben care? Was it her fault he died? That bit went right over my head.

Retro

Episode 9 talk.

What was the deal with Karen when she looked in the folder Ben left for her? It was articles about her brothers death right? But why did the other guy say he nor Ben care? Was it her fault he died? That bit went right over my head.

Episode 9 Spoiler:
That's pretty much it, but her reaction implies there's more going on there.

Retro

Oh, ok, thought I missed something there.

Nah. You're not missing anything, it's just that the show keeps drawing more and more cards without ever showing its hand. Too much is left unexplained or kept intentionally mysterious, in my opinion, and they need to start answering some of the big lingering question marks. It's getting to the point that I'm worried some things will just get completely swept under the rug.

Magwik

Banned
The tone was off from the rest of the show. It's trying to be relatively grounded for the most part.
Also before anyone comes in and says "well that's just daredevil deal with it" it was handled extremely poorly that's why it was so jarring and bad. Not because of what it actually is.

antonz

am I the only one who wants jessica jones season 2 to come AFTER defenders?

I would be content with no Season 2 at all and just have her becoming a recurring character in defenders stuff and other shows. Alias was most of her best stuff and we basically went through it for season 1

I felt more invested in the Frank Castle/Punisher arc than the rest of the ninja yakuza stuff. Jon Bernthal really nails the character. The episodes involving stick and Elektra were so boring.

The tone was off from the rest of the show. It's trying to be relatively grounded for the most part.

You have a blind dude who can hear heartbeats, breaths, and metal cutting through air. You had Madame Gao's mystical stuff in season one. Black Sky was introduced in season one. It takes place in the world of the hulk, iron man, spider-man, etc. It's not trying to stay grounded. It's just trying to stay away from multi-national threats. That is all the bad stuff is taking place on the streets of New York.

I would be content with no Season 2 at all and just have her becoming a recurring character in defenders stuff and other shows. Alias was most of her best stuff and we basically went through it for season 1
agreed, but she's already due for a second season.

speaking of JJ, SPOIL
did anybody besides me notice that in the final shot of the season finale, the door opposite nelson & murdock said alias? wtf? has Jessica always been there or did she move there? or was it just a nonsensical easter egg?

Dalek

agreed, but she's already due for a second season.

speaking of JJ, SPOIL
did anybody besides me notice that in the final shot of the season finale, the door opposite nelson & murdock said alias? wtf? has Jessica always been there or did she move there? or was it just a nonsensical easter egg?

Not Alias- ATLAS.

burgervan

I still have one episode to watch, bu I feel like the quality really dropped off after EP 9. I'm just confused at this point. EP 12 spoiler:
So Elektra is Black Sky. WTF is black sky? If you're going to play it as some big reveal, stop being so god damn cryptic about what it means. Then Elektra helps Stick escape? I felt like I missed something there. She was trying to kill him, then she finds out she's Black Sky (even she doesn't know what that means), still wants to kill him, then all of a sudden is carrying him away from the fight. The Blacksmith reveal felt completely unearned and unsatisfying. I thought Stick was going to end up being blacksmith and all these storylines would come together.

I was loving this shit up until
Frank escaped from prison
. Hopefully the finale can redeem it a bit.

You have a blind dude who can hear heartbeats, breaths, and metal cutting through air. You had Madame Gao's mystical stuff in season one. Black Sky was introduced in season one. It takes place in the world of the hulk, iron man, spider-man, etc. It's not trying to stay grounded. It's just trying to stay away from multi-national threats. That is all the bad stuff is taking place on the streets of New York.

But it doesn't even make sense.

These are presumably pro assassins and they're all just running down the street chasing after a car. Also, no one notices fifty ninjas shooting bows and arrows? And how are arrows in any way superior to a gun, especially when you're shooting at a moving vehicle? The non ninja Yakuza with SMGs were better equipped for urban combat.

Dalek

I can't believe people are stating they feel the budget was reduced. It looks incredible and there's a lot of on location shooting.

Top Bottom