• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Pachimari

So, how is it compared to Daredevil? Not expecting it to touch it, but I'm curious to see how it stacks up.

I'm only at Episode 3 currently, but so far it is a fantastic show, though slower paced, and dare I say, not as "entertaining" as Daredevil. You need more patience to delve into Jessica's world.

maxcriden

She is a private detective with superhuman strength. In the history before the show, she has given the hero thing a shot and it didn't work out at all. She and Luke Cage are often linked.

I thought that
wasn't the case in the show?

(Haven't seen it yet.)

So, how is it compared to Daredevil? Not expecting it to touch it, but I'm curious to see how it stacks up.

I think it's slightly slower, with a more intense antagonist and a pretty good supporting cast. Daredevil is slightly "cooler" in that he's basically a ninja at the start, and JJ is less skill and more power in her fights.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
E06:
some dark shit and crazy with the house. Was interesting to see him struggle trying to buy it normal. Also the fetus stuff..god that lawyer is mean :/

RangerX

Banned
Just finished the third episode and I have to say this is the best of all the comic book shows I've seen so far. Obviously I'll fully evaluate it when I'm finished but right now this is complete gold. The performances are stellar,I love the noir atmosphere and it deals with some very serious themes. I love how a lot of the focus isn't on her powers. I'm a huge marvel comics reader but I missed Alias back in the day and know her mostly through Daredevil and Avengers. Really cool show and if it continues this way it will be slightly above DD and the Flash for me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Please use spoiler tags.
Its far fetched, but maybe he is a more grounded Danny Rand?!? The whole secret mission stuff and he can fight and everything. A billionair wouldnt have fitted in anyway. He just looks exactly like newe interpretions of Danny!
Episode 5 or 6. have heard his name???

Watched 2 episodes and I like what I've seen so far. But Daredevil first 2 episode was better to me.

The first three episodes of Daredevil were boring to me. This shit was incredible and I just finished the first episode so far. I would've
had the girl shoot herself too
. Does that make me a sick fuck? Though
that girl will probably spend the rest of her life in jail, so this result may be worse.

LosDaddie

Banned
She is a private detective with superhuman strength. In the history before the show, she has given the hero thing a shot and it didn't work out at all. She and Luke Cage are often linked.

Jessica Jones have super strength and can fly in the comics. In the MCU, she can jump very high, instead of flying. She's a former superhero, now a private investigator.

I'm really curious, if there'll be any hints towards Iron Fist in this show - have anyone noticed anything, other than Jeri Hogarth?

Thanks!

So, is this show good for some female empowerment? I might try to get the wife on this with me.

Thanks!

So, is this show good for some female empowerment? I might try to get the wife on this with me.

It has some pretty strong female characters, though it's a much more rugged thing than the sort of empowerment vibe I get from say, Supergirl commercials.

Jessica Jones herself is no angel. She's got a temper, likes to get to the bottom of a bottle, and she's not really great to other people. She usually does the right thing, but it's like pulling teeth.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I haven't gotten to watch any episodes yet. I'll try to watch a few tonight when I get home from work.

Where does it appear this show takes place in the MCU timeline?

For reference, here's the MCU timeline so far, as discerned by this thread on thecomicboard.com:

1941 through 1945 — Captain America: TFA
1946 — Agent Carter Season 1
May through October 2010 — Iron Man
Late April through mid-May 2011 — Iron Man 2, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer, Thor, Incredible Hulk, The Consultant
May 2012 — The Avengers, Item 47
December 2012 — Iron Man 3
February 2013 — All Hail the King
September 2013 — Agents of SHIELD Season 1 begins, Thor: TDW
October 2013 — Captain America: TWS
November 2013 — Agents of SHIELD Season 1 ends
Late May through June 2014 — Agents of SHIELD Season 2 begins through episode 5
August 2014 — Guardians of the Galaxy
August to September 2014 — Daredevil Season 1
September 2014 — Agents of SHIELD Season 2 episode 6 onward
May 2015 — Avengers: AoU, Agents of SHIELD Season 2 ends
July to August 2015 — Ant-Man
October 2015 — Agents of SHIELD Season 3 begins

The Hermit

Damn, this show is heavy. I can't binge watch this.
2 episodes felt like 8 Daredevil eps emotionally.

Fuck Kilgrave

Man these episodes are so emotionally heavy. Like one of these feel like 4 Daredevil episodes or something...but I can't stop watching.

Lol me too, same ratio of density even

DD relied too much on the combat that ranged from very good to meh. Kingpin arch was much better than DD arch because his scenes were more personal and emotional.

And this is the strength of JJ so far. They are really psychological, literal mindgames.

TraBuch

Banned
I can see a lot of people tuning out of this show because it's so unlike any other Marvel thing, something they're not expecting, but it might actually be my favorite Marvel show/movie so far.

LosDaddie

Banned
It has some pretty strong female characters, though it's a much more rugged thing than the sort of empowerment vibe I get from say, Supergirl commercials.

Jessica Jones herself is no angel. She's got a temper, likes to get to the bottom of a bottle, and she's not really great to other people. She usually does the right thing, but it's like pulling teeth.

Nice. Sounds like a relatable character, and not the "perfect woman" character so many seem to want.

Alright. So I'm going to try to watch a few eps with my wife this weekend.

Nice. Sounds like a relatable character, and not the "perfect woman" character so many seem to want.

I mean, I don't know anyone, especially ladies, who would want a "perfect woman" character, whatever that would be, but rather an interesting, flawed one that still has real empowerment. Every hero should be flawed in some way to be interesting.

I've never heard of people wanting that at all. Not sure where you're getting it from.

Episode 3

These sex scenes. Oh my.
Such a contrast from the first time.

Holy shit at Kilgrave calling in.

Speculation/comics stuff

So I'm guessing Trish isn't Hellcat yet, unless she's hiding her abilities? But then that wouldn't make sense as she didn't completely dominate that mind controlled cop. Ugh, I wish marvel could get the Xmen in MCU. And jeebus at that stalker room.

Anyway, great episode. I'm living this show so far. Between this, Daredevil, and AoS, Marvel and Netflix are killing it in the episodic space.

So, I am not a fan of most marvel stuff, but I loved Daredevil like most of us so I jumped into this, not really knowing what to expect.

This show so far is interesting, but really slooooow. I am just on Episode 2, I feel like nothing really happened. Hope it get's faster paced from now on.

Also, is this in the Daredevil universe ?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So, I am not a fan of most marvel stuff, but I loved Daredevil like most of us so I jumped into this, not really knowing what to expect.

This show so far is interesting, but really slooooow. I am just on Episode 2, I feel like nothing really happened. Hope it get's faster paced from now on.

with marvel everything is in the same MCUniverse. so yes :)

Marvel?

Not animated?

All the same universe.

LeonSPBR

The first three episodes of Daredevil were boring to me. This shit was incredible and I just finished the first episode so far. I would've
had the girl shoot herself too
. Does that make me a sick fuck? Though
that girl will probably spend the rest of her life in jail, so this result may be worse.

I too would have
made the girl to shoot herself.

Also I loved the beginning for Daredevil. The action scenes were amazing and the characters were pretty fun. JJ I don't care much for the lawyer and for Jessica friend (the girl that works on the radio).

Pachimari

I haven't gotten to watch any episodes yet. I'll try to watch a few tonight when I get home from work.

Where does it appear this show takes place in the MCU timeline?

For reference, here's the MCU timeline so far, as discerned by this thread on thecomicboard.com:

1941 through 1945 — Captain America: TFA
1946 — Agent Carter Season 1
May through October 2010 — Iron Man
Late April through mid-May 2011 — Iron Man 2, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer, Thor, Incredible Hulk, The Consultant
May 2012 — The Avengers, Item 47
December 2012 — Iron Man 3
February 2013 — All Hail the King
September 2013 — Agents of SHIELD Season 1 begins, Thor: TDW
October 2013 — Captain America: TWS
November 2013 — Agents of SHIELD Season 1 ends
Late May through June 2014 — Agents of SHIELD Season 2 begins through episode 5
August 2014 — Guardians of the Galaxy
August to September 2014 — Daredevil Season 1
September 2014 — Agents of SHIELD Season 2 episode 6 onward
May 2015 — Avengers: AoU, Agents of SHIELD Season 2 ends
July to August 2015 — Ant-Man
October 2015 — Agents of SHIELD Season 3 begins
All we know right now is, that it is set after Daredevil S1.

I have now finished watching Episode 1 and 2 twice. I can finally move on to Episode 3.

Top Bottom