• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Sheroking

Man, that scene in Episode 2 where
Luke is casually slapping slapping around the Rugby dudes in his bar
is where I KNEW they cast the right man to play that role.

Mafro

Episode 3

These sex scenes. Oh my.
Such a contrast from the first time.

Holy shit at Kilgrave calling in.

So I'm guessing Trish isn't Hellcat yet, unless she's hiding her abilities? But then that wouldn't make sense as she didn't completely dominate that mind controlled cop. Ugh, I wish marvel could get the Xmen in MCU. And jeebus at that stalker room.

Anyway, great episode. I'm living this show so far. Between this, Daredevil, and AoS, Marvel and Netflix are killing it in the episodic space.
Love what they've done with Patsy Trish in this. I was expecting her just to be a little part but she's actually very well developed
to the point where I'm sure she's become Hellcat in some form at some point. Whether it's in season 2, or the Defenders or whatever. There's more than a few little hints, plus that martial arts self defence training.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
All we know right now is, that it is set after Daredevil S1.

I have now finished watching Episode 1 and 2 twice. I can finally move on to Episode 3.

Well, this is what a poster on that other board has determined:

SexySnorlax said:
In the second episode there's a clear shot of
the MetLife building (the one that was torn down and replaced by Stark Tower)

In Ep 3,
Luke says that the only people with powers he's heard about is the big green guy and his friends

EDIT: there's a direct reference to the battle of New York, so
the MetLife
is a continuity error not indication of it being pre-avengers

EDIT 2:
MetLife building
just showed up again in Ep 7 (and probably before that but I just didn't notice)

EDIT 3: Jessica just visited
Saint Vincent hospital
but irl that
hospital
closed down in 2010

It kinda sounds like this show doesn't care at all when it happens

Robin64

Episode 11 ending:
Luke walking out of an explosion? Guess you really can't damage this guy. Nice to see him back in though, was missing him.

JambiBum

Episode 3

These sex scenes. Oh my.
Such a contrast from the first time.

Holy shit at Kilgrave calling in.

So I'm guessing Trish isn't Hellcat yet, unless she's hiding her abilities? But then that wouldn't make sense as she didn't completely dominate that mind controlled cop. Ugh, I wish marvel could get the Xmen in MCU. And jeebus at that stalker room.

Anyway, great episode. I'm living this show so far. Between this, Daredevil, and AoS, Marvel and Netflix are killing it in the episodic space.

This last spoiler is the worst fucking way to do a spoiler. First you say episode three, which makes people think that it is a spoiler related to the episode, then you go on with speculation (or fact, I'm not sure since I'm guessing it was spoiled for me by you) that has nothing to do with the episode.

Oddduck

Watched 4 episodes. I think this show is excellent so far.

Right up there with my other favorites: Daredevil, The Flash, Gotham.

I like the crime noir feeling of the show. I love Kristen Ritter as Jessica Jones, and I like how the show is more emotional than your typical comic book show.

Very well written and directed so far. I know some people are complaining about it being too slow, but I think it's wrong to compare it to Daredevil. It's a very different type of show.

georly

This will be my first weekend all by myself in nearly 5 years.

I think i'm gonna marathon this.

Can't wait. Will get nachos.

Viewt

I've been a big believer in Mike Colter as Luke Cage since we started seeing set pictures, but Episode 2's scene with
Luke looking annoyed while casually fighting off the rugby players
sealed it. He's truly the baddest man in New York.

Two episodes in, here's my take.

The Good:
- Jessica herself. I like Krysten Ritter, but I've never been totally on-board with her as Jessica. She just looks a little too stylish and pretty. But she gets the mannerisms and she really delivers the lines. Huge relief.
- As aforementioned, Mike Colter. He's got great screen presence. The Luke Cage series is going to be too damn good.
- The music. I'd never heard of the guy doing the composition, but he's great.
- Carrie-Anne Moss. She's just got that gift where she can be aloof and guarded without coming across as boring or thinly-written.
- First episode spoilers:
The sex scene with Luke and Jessica. It's a Marvel show, so I was worried they might be a little too conservative with their depiction of sex, so I was glad to see it was handled with maturity while still not showing actual nudity. Though I thought Luke's line after Jessica saying she won't break, "You will," just came off a little odd.
- General, But Mild Spoilers on First Two Episodes:
The very sparse use of The Purple Man. He's an ever-present force, but we haven't even seen his face yet. Great build-up.

The Less Good:
- In terms of actual structure, I don't think these episodes are going to hold up very well on a rewatch. Everything is slowly building towards what I assume will be big events further into the series. So rewatching these later won't be as fun as, say, Daredevil, with its awesome fight choreography and high-intensity dialogue. This is a pretty slight nit-pick, though. For all I know, later events in the series will provide some interesting color upon repeat viewings thanks to foreshadowing or background hints/gags.

Basically, I have to strain to find things I don't like, so that should tell you that I'm really digging it. :)

hermit7

Just finished episode 1. Man it was pretty great, the atmosphere reminds me a bit of Luther in that it is dark and depressing.

also the ending when the girl shot her parents. I like in both shows how not everything is clean there are casualties and loss

Misha

Banned
I'm finding it really annoying that my friends who were really excited for daredevil weren't even aware of this show. I'm getting some to watch it fortunately but they're not all that excited :/

Pachimari

Gotta admit I almost fell asleep 5 times during Episode 3. It's probably because I didn't sleep last night, but the pacing is so damn slow. Maybe I'm not in the right mood and needs rest first.

I'm loving the show though, just not as good as Daredevil yet.

One, or more like one half an episode in and I'm loving it. So far the characters are much more believable to me than DD. I loved that show, warts and all, but sometimes it just didn't feel as real, or grounded, as they obviously set out for it to be.

JJ is scratching that itch for me. It helps that Krysten is such a fantastic actress.

Viewt

So do earplugs work against the Purple Man?

This is purely from the comics, and not from any knowledge of the show, but I'll spoiler it just in case:

The Purple Man's powers actually come from hormones he secretes that are then absorbed through the skin (though skin-to-skin contact is not necessary - merely proximity). The hormones make someone extremely vulnerable to suggestion. So it's not straight mind-control like Professor X.

Also, since Luke Cage's skin can't be penetrated or broken, in the comics, he's actually immune to The Purple Man's powers. Which has a pretty awesome payoff in the first issue of Bendis's New Avengers run.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is purely from the comics, and not from any knowledge of the show, but I'll spoiler it just in case:

The Purple Man's powers actually come from hormones he secretes that are then absorbed through the skin (though skin-to-skin contact is not necessary - merely proximity). Since Luke Cage's skin can't be penetrated or broken, he's actually immune to The Purple Man's powers. Which has a pretty awesome payoff in the first issue of Bendis's New Avengers run.

His powers work different here, no touching needed.

Famassu

All we know right now is, that it is set after Daredevil S1.

I have now finished watching Episode 1 and 2 twice. I can finally move on to Episode 3.
In the first episode, that one dude says
"You're one of them"
, kind of makes it seem that Jessica Jones takes place
after AoS S2 & the fish oil pill incident and after Inhumans are made somewhat public in AoS S3 once SHIELD nor the government can't hide the ever-growing number of them anymore
?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
"You're one of them"
after AoS S2 and maybe even after Inhumans are made somewhat public in AoS S3
?
Maybe its more about superpowered people in general?

Pachimari

"You're one of them"
after AoS S2 and maybe even after Inhumans are made somewhat public in AoS S3
?
We don't even know if that was a reference towards
Inhumans
. I don't think it was.

Fuchsdh

You know, Kilgrave is like the ultimate MRA. What those motherfuckers think or aspire to be.

I don't really get where the stuff about feminism comes into Kilgrave as a character in and of himself. He's not a misogynist so much as just a guy who has the ability to make people do anything he wants, which has predictably led to him to view everyone and everything as his plaything and less than human (or at least, less than himself). It's basically Groundhog Day if it was taken to its more disturbing endgame. Switch the character to a heterosexual woman and it doesn't make her a misandrist either. With that said, it definitely focuses on the real impact of that mindset of the women he preys on, which is definitely disturbing.

The Purple Man's powers actually come from hormones he secretes that are then absorbed through the skin (though skin-to-skin contact is not necessary - merely proximity). The hormones make someone extremely vulnerable to suggestion. So it's not straight mind-control like Professor X.

Also, since Luke Cage's skin can't be penetrated or broken, in the comics, he's actually immune to The Purple Man's powers. Which has a pretty awesome payoff in the first issue of Bendis's New Avengers run.

The idea that Luke Cage's skin can't be broken or penetrated offers up some weird unintended consequences if you follow that thread, not least in regards to skin hygiene.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seems to me
support for the Registration Act
I dont think that JJ is set at the same time as
Civil War
, a law like this most likely first triggered through events in that movie. Its a major plot point for the movie, they wont make this offscreen in inbetween two Netflix shows.

I don't really get where the stuff about feminism comes into Kilgrave as a character in and of himself.
Well, hes a
raptist
and doesnt to be bothered by it, so IDk

Famassu

Maybe its more about superpowered people in general?
But there really aren't a massive number of superpowered people that would cause such a reaction in the public and currently
inhumans
(do we have to spoiler-tag that anymore?) are a group of people causing some public panic in the MCU. So it'd make sense the guy would mistake her as one of them, considering her super-powers.

Cloyster

Banned
I don't really get where the stuff about feminism comes into Kilgrave as a character in and of himself. He's not a misogynist so much as just a guy who has the ability to make people do anything he wants, which has predictably led to him to view everyone and everything as his plaything and less than human (or at least, less than himself). It's basically Groundhog Day if it was taken to its more disturbing endgame.

The idea that Luke Cage's skin can't be broken or penetrated offers up some weird unintended consequences if you follow that thread, not least in regards to skin hygiene.

Agreed. Yeah, he's a rapist and takes advantageous of women, but like you said, he takes advantage of literally everyone.

andycapps

I'm only 10 minutes in to the first episode, but I have to mention, dat ass at 10 minutes in. Damn.

Great mood to this show so far. Might have to binge watch it.

mreddie

Wow, episode 5 and a
The Pulse
reference

I dont think that JJ is set at the same time as
Civil War
, a law like this most likely first triggered through events in that movie. Its a major plot point for the movie, they wont make this offscreen in inbetween two Netflix shows.

Yeah but I assume it's set around AoU.

I also assume Patsy is the Melissa Joan Hart of the MCU.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But there really aren't a massive number of superpowered people that would cause such a reaction in the public and currently
inhumans
(do we have to spoiler-tag that anymore?) are a group of people causing some public panic in the MCU. So it'd make sense the guy would mistake her as one of them, considering her super-powers.
The Netflix shows make it seem that the people arent so fond of the Avengers and the other, too.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think some of you might be over thinking some of the connections. I mean Daredevil is in the Marvel universe, but it basically existed in a bubble outside of some very small offhand references. I sorta expect the same from Jessica Jones. Heck, even Agents of SHIELD is probably the same. When is the last time something from that show had a major impact on anything in any of the Marvel movies?

mreddie

I think some of you might be over thinking some of the connections. I mean Daredevil is in the Marvel universe, but it basically existed in a bubble outside of some very small offhand references. I sorta expect the same from Jessica Jones. Heck, even Agents of SHIELD is probably the same. When is the last time something from that show had a major impact on anything in any of the Marvel movies?

There was that one episode...

Top Bottom