• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know it escalates even further due to the previews but it just feels really weak of an excuse when if the police knew or had more witnesses to collaborate, they could take preventive measures instead of him having free roam.
Well, here's why MCU stuff gets in the way -
they live in a world where everyone believes in "heroes", but for whatever reason, they think it's crazy that Kilgrave can exist. That's also part of the justification that is used to make it a mostly solo affair.

Is there a JJ spoiler thread?

Just finished (i couldnt stop dude!) And wanted to talk about it
Someone should make one, even if it's just one day old. lol

Sadist

Spoilers up to episode 3, just things I liked

- Luke said "Sweet Christmas!" Yaaaaaaay
- Man, Jess and Luke like it rough. Poor bed.
- Laser eyes? Moron.
- Tennant sounds pretty damn creepy. Quick shot of him suited up looks amazing though.

Question about Ep 9:
is Simpson a character from the comics? What was up with the doctor, "sergeant", etc.

Or is it explained later?

Sou Da

Well, here's why MCU stuff gets in the way -
they live in a world where everyone believes in "heroes", but for whatever reason, they think it's crazy that Kilgrave can exist. That's also part of the justification that is used to make it a mostly solo affair.

They just don't feel it's likely. It's a really convenient explanation for everything with no evidence.

Who's seen a mind controller before?

Numb

ep 10
Holyshit
giphy.gif

Everyone dies lol. Now she understands. Time to get serious

Episode 5

This show is highly unrealistic. Everyone knows
iPhones are the only smartphones
used in America.

----

Man, I feel so bad for Malcolm.

The scene with the sound proof room was great, and damn they were so close to getting Kilgrave in there.

"Send the picture, save the junkie."

I shouldn't find that as funny as I do. It sounds like the tagline of a Heroes spoof.

Also, David Tennant is so damn good as a villain.

Oddduck

By the way, I really love the theme intro for this show.

The jazzy crime noir-ish music with the water color images. Great stuff.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Watched 6 eps today. Rarely do that. So, yeah, I like it.

And Luke Cage is freaking hot. "You won't break me." "Yes, I will."

Sou Da

I mean... I don't know how the timeline works in this universe, but
Scarlet Witch?

No one outside of The Avengers really know a lot know about her. She's not really public and the only thing any civilian has seen her do is shoot red energy.

I mean... I don't know how the timeline works in this universe, but
Scarlet Witch?

Exactly when this takes place is still a tad murky. Age of Ultron took place mostly globally with Scarlet Witch not eating up much spotlight as a mind controller

Look the discrepancies are more easily explained as a necessary plot and writing device. I expect most shows to not strictly tie in MCU logic

Its a shame but they can only handcuff creators so much with it. The good thing is... Eventually they have to get their hands completely dirty

I think the way they did JJ was reasonable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Its a shame but they can only handcuff creators so much with it. The good thing is... Eventually they have to get their hands completely dirty

I think the way they did JJ was reasonable.
I'm fine with it, because I've gone out of my way to try my best to treat the show as a standalone property not burdened by the MCU stuff that would ruin its internal logic.

But, it's one of the big reasons they use throughout the show to justify why characters make certain decisions, for better or for worse.

Sou Da

Episode 9: So how do the UK folks feel about
the rugby references?

I'm fine with it, because I've gone out of my way to try my best to treat the show as a standalone property not burdened by the MCU stuff that would ruin its internal logic.

But, it's one of the big reasons they use throughout the show to justify why characters make certain decisions, for better or for worse.

I'm obviously not going to convince you of anything
but there's no way the civilian world should believe that a mind controller made a double homicide happen on general principle. If you use your same logic, why doesn't just show her super strength to create reasonable doubt?

4 episodes in. Loving it so far.

Haven't read the comic books so this might be a dumb question but I don't understand why Jessica is so afraid of Kilgrave? Buy some in ear headphones. Put on some noise cancelling cans over that. Blast death metal at full volume and beat him till he passes out.

Problem solved?

Finished ep1:
The intro was amazing
Love how she narrates her story
FFS....the ending that shit got intense the last last half
random, butttttt um she just left hope in that elevator ......Is hope going to jail for all of that!?!

Its funny when and where the logic is applied because it is somewhat self aware.

Like maybe the public is slow to deal with powered humans because they dont want to deal with it. Used to be Shields job... And still kind of is based on AoS

Either way Netflix pieces are meant to be high quality and isolated works at least currently.

They do eventually have to go all out MCU. I just wish they were less gunshy about it. They have the resources to tie everything together in compelling ways without sacrificing quality

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Haven't read the comic books so this might be a dumb question but I don't understand why Jessica is so afraid of Kilgrave? Buy some in ear headphones. Put on some noise cancelling cans over that. Blast death metal at full volume and beat him till he passes out.

Problem solved?
Keep watching is all anyone can really say. lol

Its funny when and where the logic is applied because it is somewhat self aware.

Like maybe the public is slow to deal with powered humans because they dont want to deal with it. Used to be Shields job... And still kind of is based on AoS

Either way Netflix pieces are meant to be high quality and isolated works at least currently.

They do eventually have to go all out MCU. I just wish they were less gunshy about it. They have the resources to tie everything together in compelling ways without sacrificing quality
This is why I feel like the MCU is a huge burden. But as long as you are willing to ignore the fact that SHIELD exists, then I guess it's fine.

I mean, these are the people who are so incompetent that a douchebag named Ward is able to keep them busy for two years, so what can you do?

mreddie

Ep 11:
So Patsy was Hannah Montana of the MCU and Trish/Jess weren't good friends at first, also, the power discovery scene was handed okay.

I've only watched one episode so far, but yeah it's great. It's dark and twisted and Jessica is an interesting character whose alcoholism is already more explored than Tony Stark's in the MCU. Barely seen Kilgrave yet but he looks creepy and brilliant, and I'm looking forward to watching David Tennant chew the scenery.

Problem solved?

his power is not his voice

spoiler tagged but not really a spoiler.

Finished ep1:
The intro was amazing
Love how she narrates her story
FFS....the ending that shit got intense the last last half
random, butttttt um she just left hope in that elevator ......Is hope going to jail for all of that!?!
On ep2
glad this hope saga isn't over

Keep watching is all anyone can really say. lol

This is why I feel like the MCU is a huge burden. But as long as you are willing to ignore the fact that SHIELD exists, then I guess it's fine.

I mean, these are the people who are so incompetent that a douchebag named Ward is able to keep them busy for two years, so what can you do?

It is but its a burden that needs to be there. Its the challenge and the dream. I want to so it through and see just how far they can go binding all these characters together.

Its been pretty rocky continuity wise outside of thr feature films though

Maybe shared Universes are just a lot harder and more expensive than we thought.

Like they could just follow CW footsteps but then we wouldnt get the quality we are getting from Netflix

Ever the balancing act i guess

MaKTaiL

Just watched the first episode. Pretty solid, can't wait to watch the rest.
On a side note, does anybody else think the layer woman looks A LOT like Claire Underwood from House of Cards?

enhanced-buzz-wide-30308-1425316948-23.jpg

marvel-netflix-jessica-jones-krysten-ritter-carrie-anne-mossv.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is but its a burden that needs to be there. Its the challenge and the dream. I want to so it through and see just how far they can go binding all these characters together.

Its been pretty rocky continuity wise outside of thr feature films though

Maybe shared Universes are just a lot harder and more expensive than we thought.

Like they could just follow CW footsteps but then we wouldnt get the quality we are getting from Netflix

Ever the balancing act i guess

To be fair, when I read comic books, I read Alias and The Pulse independent of any of the Marvel junk. As this standalone "MAX" book, it seemed to work well without any knowledge of House of M or Civil War or whatever stupid crap was going on during then. lol

yeah the worst part of this and daredevil were the avengers references. they take me out of the shows.

I love em and they need to be there.... The way they do them is getting old

At least the offshoot mentions

However there are a few great examples of where MCU connections actually enhnaced the core story

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just watched the first episode. Pretty solid, can't wait to watch the rest.
On a side note, does anybody else think the layer woman looks A LOT like Claire Underwood from House of Cards?

Well, the haircut definitely made me think they were copying but Carrie Fischer was frickin' Trinity, I ain't ever going to mistake for someone else.

Numb

That's Miss Trinity to you, bub.

Yep.
Don't know what the deal with the people that think Trish's mom is hot either.

ep 11

Yoooo
dumb help group trying to do shit while powerles.
Luke my man. Explosions don't even faze the due

Aaaand done.

Great stuff. Netflix Marvel does it again. Tennant was brilliant as Purple Man, along with the rest of the cast. Luke Cage especially.

Loved all the MCU goodies, it's a world full of superheroes in a city saved by a team of superheroes. Stop bitching about people talking about the Avengers, idiots. Of course New Yorkers would be talking about them.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Thru ep 4

Is the druggie neighbor related to the old lady client from Daredevil? The lady in the picture looked familiar.

Top Bottom