• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Seesaw15

Ep 8

Was basically
twilight-zone-its-a-good-life.jpg

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Episode 6:

Kilgrave is on another level of creepy scary. He bought her childhood home.

I wasn't expecting Hope to be pregnant. I'm wondering if Hogarth wants to do some kind of testing/experiments on the fetus. She has expressesed an interest in Kilgrave's powers.

Seems like both Jessica and Luke are stronger than Cap to me.

They both try their hardest to not go all out on people.
Jessica KILLED a person by punching them so hard their heart exploded ...
and she didn't even telegraph that attack, just said she put in full strength so she could do even more if she did it proper.

They both know how hard to hit, they just don't get into it and prefer to toss them about over kicking/ punching.

Also, does Jessica just need to LEARN how to control flight or is her flying power just crippled?

Jarmel

Banned
Makes sense, he was in contention to play the role against Mads Mikkelsen

They both have this seductive element where they are in love with the main character and express that love in such horrible twisted ways. They both feel the need to control but also love that wildstreak the main character has.

Vice

Seems like both Jessica and Luke are stronger than Cap to me.

They both try their hardest to not go all out on people.
Jessica KILLED a person by punching them so hard their heart exploded ...
and she didn't even telegraph that attack, just said she put in full strength so she could do even more if she did it proper.

They both know how hard to hit, they just don't get into it and prefer to toss them about over kicking/ punching.

Also, does Jessica just need to LEARN how to control flight or is her flying power just crippled?

Slight comic spoilers in regards to powers
both are much stronger than Cap. Somewhere between movie Iron Man and Thor if the comics are close to TV. She can fly well, she just has to practice.

That subplot in episode 4 was so freaking bad lmao. Just a really cheesy spin on the effect of superpowers on our world. And her freak out was pretty corny too

Everything else is great though. Jessica Jones' attitude makes this a breeze to watch. Fun series

Purple Man makes things really dark and creepy but those silence of the lambs comparisons in early reviews make no damn sense lol. This show gets pretty light hearted at times

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm about 45 mins into episode 10 or 11, nearly through S1 at any rate. Honest opinion: this show is fucking dumb. It was fun at first, but things get worse with each new episode. It's barely watchable at this point.

Would not recommend. Would not watch again. Might not even finish.

First 5 - 6 episodes are pretty good stuff. Like 8/10 territory even. Then it just gets way too corny.

hermit7

Episode 6.

shouldn't be surprised I guess regarding that reveal but I typically dislike those types of reveals.

Guess we will see what happens in the rest of the season. It is pretty good I think so far

Trey

First 5 - 6 episodes are pretty good stuff. Like 8/10 territory even. Then it just gets way too corny.

I'm on episode 4 and I feel it trending that way. Corny is definitely the word I would use to describe this show, but it does have promise.

AxeMan

Just finished the 3rd episode (or 4th). The one where she
catches up with Kilgrave
for the first time.

I'm enjoying it at the moment. Probably slightly ahead of DareDevil for me

ivysaur12

Banned
Just finished the pilot and I don't know if I'll be watching anymore :-\

The writing was pretty blah, and while I think Krysten Ritter is a good actress with the right role (and I guess looks the part, going by some pictures from the comics), but man, this was a bit of a whiff. She's not really a subtle actress, and when half of the shots feel like they're tracking Jessica walking down the hallway face acting, it just felt like a really poorly done version of showing what PTSD is like.

I get what the show is going for, and there's a lot of concepts that are really cool, but it's a pretty piss-poor execution that exists in a world with a lot of better shows circling similar themes.

Also Rachel Taylor's American accent is a straight up dumpster fire. Let her be Australian if her accent is going to sound like that.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I finally finished it and thought it was super mediocre, I'll post some longer thoughts later in the spoiler thread but I was not really entertained. There are some interesting concepts that are wasted with some bland writing and a lack of creativity.

Jarmel

Banned
Just finished the pilot and I don't know if I'll be watching anymore :-\

The writing was pretty blah, and while I think Krysten Ritter is a good actress with the right role (and I guess looks the part, going by some pictures from the comics), but man, this was a bit of a whiff. She's not really a subtle actress, and when half of the shots feel like they're tracking Jessica walking down the hallway face acting, it just felt like a really poorly done version of showing what PTSD is like.

Well the acting certainly isn't subtle but I think it comes off well against some of the other characters who are much more stoic and serious.

I would also say that some of the later episodes are much better, especially once Kilgrave takes over. He's the real highlight of the show.

Sheroking

Interesting to start hearing some less positive opinions on the series.

I feel like it's infinitely better than Daredevil, which might be my most overrated show of 2015. Still liked it but... it's nothing special. I'm struggling to find a way in which this show isn't superior.

Wag

I have a 4k TV. This show worth subscribing to the Netflix 4k plan for? I thought Daredevil in 4k was underwhelming (very grainy). It didn't show off 4k very well.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wait Trish is trying an American accent? I never heard that. Figured she's just Australian

She is of the Melissa George school of "whisper American"

Well the acting certainly isn't subtle but I think it comes off well against some of the other characters who are much more stoic and serious.

I would also say that some of the later episodes are much better, especially once Kilgrave takes over. He's the real highlight of the show.

I just think when you combine her performance with some of the-than-amazing writing, you get someone who really can't hold the show as its center. It felt like she was stage acting.

Jarmel

Banned
Interesting to start hearing some less positive opinions on the series.

I feel like it's infinitely better than Daredevil, which might be my most overrated show of 2015. Still liked it but... it's nothing special. I'm struggling to find a way in which this show isn't superior.

Action certainly is worse.

Jarmel

Banned
I just think when you combine her performance with some of the-than-amazing writing, you get someone who really can't hold the show as its center. It felt like she was stage acting.

The writing can be unstable at times, especially with some of the subplots that seem ill-fitted, but I think she does fine in some of the later scenes. There's a really good scene in episode 6 that I thought she nailed.

Well Jessica and Luke aren't master martial artists like Daredevil is. What the flying fuck do you expect? They throw dudes around and punch people really hard. They're brawlers for fucks sakes.

Something better. The fight scene in 5 was ok at best and the rest outside of the bar fight have been completely forgettable.

ivysaur12

Banned
Maybe it's not fair to land it on Ritter, because I actually thought the directing in the pilot was pretty bad, and I heard they were really unhappy with a lot of the directors.

marrec

Banned
I have a 4k TV. This show worth subscribing to the Netflix 4k plan for? I thought Daredevil in 4k was underwhelming (very grainy). It didn't show off 4k very well.
This is better than Daredevil but it's still not 100% what you'd expect, I think mostly because Daredevil was shot better despite the obvious grain.

Anyway, my feelings so far:

"hey, let's watch one single solitary episode of this new show!"

*four hours later*

"oooommmmmmgggggg"

Sheroking

Ivysaur is an industry person, right?

Shouldn't he/she kinda know better than to judge an entire show on it's pilot? That's really never wise.

Action certainly is worse.

Well, yes.

Jessica Jones isn't a show about ninjas, so it stands to reason action choreography isn't quite as good.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Honestly, I think often Ritter's acting is subpar. Although I thought there were some really weird and out of place reaction shots they had her do. Enjoying the show though... on episode 4.

i loved daredevil, was about to ask how this compares. But i'm just going to turn it on instead of reading about it on gaf for an episodes worth of time.

Progress

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is better than Daredevil but it's still not 100% what you'd expect, I think mostly because Daredevil was shot better despite the obvious grain.

Anyway, my feelings so far:

"hey, let's watch one single solitary episode of this new show!"

*four hours later*

"oooommmmmmgggggg"

I did exactly this. Fiancee and I were going to watch episode 1 then I was going to play Fallout. Welp, that was 5 hours ago.

TDLink

Seen the first 4 episodes...

This show is awesome. Way way way better than Daredevil so far. The acting, direction, and sound design is all amazingly on point. I'm very impressed. Definitely the best show from Marvel so far.

People expecting this to be action oriented are probably going to be disappointed or think it's "boring"...but I love it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ivysaur is an industry person, right?

Shouldn't he/she kinda know better than to judge an entire show on it's pilot? That's really never wise.

There are 400 some odd scripted shows to watch, I really don't care about the MCU to the point where I'd be compelled to what something I otherwise found mediocre, and there wasn't enough there to actually warrant me to watch it again unless I hear that somewhere down the line it gets FANTASTIC, which doesn't seem the case from reading this thread. I've also developed a pretty good sense of what I like and what I don't after wasting so much time watching so many hours of television that I can usually get a tonal gist from the pilot if there's a kernel of something interesting there.

I have a finite amount of hours until I die.

Sheroking

Being in the industry actually gives Ivy more clout to form a hasty opinion. You know, regarding something in their industry.

Nah, many of the greatest shows ever have extremely slow starts and awful pilots.

If anything, being involved in the industry should reinforce the knowledge that dropping a show most people like after one episode is silly at best. Particularly when the best element of the series is in the episode for about 10 seconds total.

It's like being a novelist and judging every book by it's actual cover.

There are 400 some odd scripted shows to watch, I really don't care about the MCU to the point where I'd be compelled to what something I otherwise found mediocre, and there wasn't enough there to actually warrant me to watch it again unless I hear that somewhere down the line it gets FANTASTIC, which doesn't seem the case from reading this thread.

I have a finite amount of hours until I die.

That's fair enough. Certainly no compulsion to watch anything.

I just don't think anyone who only watches the pilot, of any show ever, has an actual read on it.

Top Bottom