• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Finished episode 1.

As someone who knows nothing about Jessica Jones I liked it for the most part.

Mostly wanted to watch to see David Tennent play a bad guy... He plays a VERY bad man. Like bloody hell that got very dark very fast.

Finished episode 6. Luke's dialog was a bit much. I got where he was coming from, of course, but did the writers really need to include
"You let me be inside you."
?

I mean, the audience didn't need to be reminded, y'know?

Dunno if you saw the interview with David Tennant about the character, but based on his comments in that interview, yeah, I think that's spot on.

I didn't see it (do you have a link?).

Finished episode 1.

As someone who knows nothing about Jessica Jones I liked it for the most part.

Mostly wanted to watch to see David Tennent play a bad guy... He plays a VERY bad man. Like bloody hell that got very dark very fast.

What Tennent did in Episode 1 doesn't compare to what he does later on...

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
Is it decent compared to Daredevil?

I think it's strictly inferior to Daredevil even from a storytelling perspective if you discount the more prominent character but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a lot more views.

kirblar

Episode 6:

Kilgrave restraining himself to try to buy the house "legitimately" was a cool scene. I'm not done with the episode though so I don't know if ends up just killing/torturing/maiming the guy somehow.
Yeah.
Too many loose ends/too much attention drawn if he doesn't do it legit.

jesu

I think it's strictly inferior to Daredevil even from a storytelling perspective if you discount the more prominent character but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a lot more views.

Meh, I want to watch because David Tennant, and I really like Daredevil

Froli

No. The whole arc should have been wrapped up in 6-7 episodes, but they stretched it. Some mediocre to horrible writing, bad action scenes, questionable low budget special effects (can't forget those awkward super jumps). A meh series overall

IMO Daredevil is 9/10, Jessica Jones is 6/10.

Jumeira

Banned
Not liking this, and I loved Daredevil. 3eps in so far, hope it improves. I don't like Jessica, don't like Killgrave as a bad guy but admittedly they've not shown too much. Reminds me of Charmed at the moment, Killgrave being Balthazar lol.

Daredevil pulled me in from the 1st ep. Probably because I don't know or have ever heard of Jessica Jones before, whereas I had an expectation for DD.

blackflag

I'm at the end. It went long and got a bit ridiculous but I love the character (Jessica Jones) and Kristen Ritter, really liked her friend, and all of the actors but they just drug it out a bit. Still I really liked it overall.

Saw the IMDB page a few months ago and
it said Daredevil had a cameo in it, didn't see him though and I just finished the last episode?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Saw the IMDB page a few months ago and
it said Daredevil had a cameo in it, didn't see him though and I just finished the last episode?

It said a special friend would appear in the last episode. We all guessed Daredevil. It was Claire Temple.

Episode 13:

And people thought the car door kill from Daredevil was gory.

Fucking hell that was horrible. Didn't expect him to have a dude cut up his dad, and shred the remains. Good lord that was bad

Pachinko

I watched 2 episodes of this today , the first was enough to get me to watch the second and the second was good enough to get me to see the rest of the series. Months ago when Daredevil popped up I watched the premiere and thought it was alright but I haven't gone on to watch the rest just yet.

My mileage on marvel TV so far -
Agents of Shield season 1 - starts off pretty boring but all the winter soldier tie in stuff made it pretty great

Agents of Shield season 2 - The writers have decided they're making a new season of HEROES instead of SHIELD , I watched about 1 episode past the "quake" reveal and haven't finished the season out because I haven't decided if I care .... it's been a few months.

Agent Carter - Loved it. 8 episodes with a storyline wrapped up in a neat little bow by the end. It's just a nice companion to Captain America (which is my favorite marvel film).

That all said the "street level" stuff present in Daredevil and AKA Jessica Jones is also an interesting take on things , some part of me wishes they just kept these characters in their own universe because it just feels kind of odd to have these violent characters exist in the same sunshine and lollypop world present in the rest of the Marvel U but, I can look past that and enjoy them in their own way.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Watched first episode last night with the girlfriend, we both came away quite disappointed in it and struggling to even finish it. I can't quite put my finger on it but it just didn't seem exciting with its story and the characters just weren't that interesting.

I'm keen to keep going in hopes that it picks up though, I want Marvel to do well in the TV show sector.

Dali

No. The whole arc should have been wrapped up in 6-7 episodes, but they stretched it. Some mediocre to horrible writing, bad action scenes, questionable low budget special effects (can't forget those awkward super jumps). A meh series overall

IMO Daredevil is 9/10, Jessica Jones is 6/10.
Not finished yet but so far this is mostly how I feel. I was wondering just how strong Jessica Jones is because this show makes her seem pretty weak. Apparently she's lifted a 2 ton police car and gotten her ass beat by some real heavy hitters. That she could stand toe to toe with these other characters that are so much stronger is a far cry from what this show is putting on display when she's getting the business given to her by some guys with tazers or seemingly struggling to keep Simpson under control at her house.

kirblar

Not finished yet but so far this is mostly how I feel. I was wondering just how strong Jessica Jones is because this show makes her seem pretty weak. Apparently she's lifted a 2 ton police car and gotten her ass beat by some real heavy hitters. That she could stand toe to toe with these other characters that are so much stronger is a far cry from what this show is putting on display when she's getting the business given to her by some guys with tazers or seemingly struggling to keep Simpson under control at her house.
Her issue is that she's all offense. She can dish out enormous damage but can't take a hit.

Dali

Her issue is that she's all offense. She can dish out enormous damage but can't take a hit.
Like I said Wikipedia points out she isn't invulnerable but she has gone toe to toe with real heavy hitters (and lost). No one in this show thus far is on the level of iron man or vision yet she's getting it handed to her left and right.

kirblar

Like I said Wikipedia points out she isn't invulnerable but she has gone toe to toe with real heavy hitters (and lost). No one in this show thus far is on the level of iron man or vision yet she's getting it handed to her left and right.
This isn't the comics version. Ep4 makes it pretty clear that she's got a pretty big Achilles heel.

kiri

Hey guys! Couple of episodes in now, interested in the whole EXIT signs thing...guessing there is something there....

Can't shake how much CAM looks like Claire from House of Cards.

The MCU =/= the comics, some things are changed, including the fact that she's weaker in the show. There's several other major plot points from the comics that they completely changed or left out in the show.

On Simpson:
It's pretty obvious he has super strength because of the pills, also she was injured.

Dali

The MCU =/= the comics, some things are changed, including the fact that she's weaker in the show. There's several other major plot points from the comics that they completely changed or left out in the show.

On Simpson:
It's pretty obvious he has super strength because of the pills, also she was injured.
I understand the two are different. I guess my complaint is they really do a piss poor job if showing off her power. She can crumple metal like paper in the show yet she's not knocking normal humans out in one punch? You can say she's holding back to not kill people but just exactly how much was she holding back for these fools to keep getting up unphased (speaking on the security guys that tazed her).

ElTopo

Banned
I just started on episode 4. It's okay. I feel like this exists purely to introduce Luke Cage. Cage is a much more interesting character than Jessica. I'm going to give it up to episode 6 and if it's still just "okay" then I'm quitting.

Do we ever find out how she got her powers?

Damn, just thinking... Can't wait to see the shit Conservatives and the right pull on this show with all the issues it tackles
abortion, showing religion in a bad light (religious mother making her son suffer against his wishes), stuff with the fetus, the lesbian relationship, euthanasia..

AHA-Lambda

Just finished it, really, really liked it!
I agree with some that as the whole series is basically one arc, there are some bits of slow down, and it could've probably been done in 10 eps instead of the 13.

Think Jessica Jones is a great character, and want to see more from her, but my God I Love David Tennant in this! Absolutely stole the show!

Personally, I put it above Daredevil, which I quite liked but found maybe a little overrated given all the praise it had?

jmood88

I understand the two are different. I guess my complaint is they really do a piss poor job if showing off her power. She can crumple metal like paper in the show yet she's not knocking normal humans out in one punch? You can say she's holding back to not kill people but just exactly how much was she holding back for these fools to keep getting up unphased (speaking on the security guys that tazed her).
She knocks out people with one hit plenty of times. The fight with the security guys just had a bunch of people jump her out of nowhere.

El Topo

It's a very different show. Daredevil is a superhero action series, whereas this is....a drama with a (somewhat) superpowered main character.

I'm seven episodes in and so far it makes Daredevil look bad. The show makes me realize that a lot of people (including myself) cut Daredevil way too much slack when it came to characters, dialogue and plot.

Jarmel

Banned
The whole point of the last scenes were to show that though some may want to turn a blind eye to it there's more than enough people who can vouch for it. From cops who became blood thirsty minions because of this man to random people lining up and trying to kill each other because he said so to an entire hospital searching for her. These events are too big to hide as we have no reason to think he could erase every recording of these highly public events. That was the point of her getting outta jail, the court had to accept that she and these other people were being controlled even though. That's the reason so many people want to "hire" her as a "hero" for them, word got out about what she did to stop a guy who could control peoples minds.

She, as a PI, wanted to prove this man existed. She wanted to beat him. The world now knows what he did and what he could do, he was outsmarted and defeated. Even with his upgrades he couldn't control her. Those were her goals and that wouldn't have been satisfied if she had just snapped his neck on the street in front of everyone or let Simmons blow him up. He would have just stopped and his victims would have no peace.

I'm not finished yet but unless the show is purposely trying to depict her as a bad guy, many of her actions seem to feed into her own guilt and shame rather than actually trying to prevent further casualties. Hopefully the show calls her out on it but I somewhat doubt that.

It's a very different show. Daredevil is a superhero action series, whereas this is....a drama with a (somewhat) superpowered main character.

I'm seven episodes in and so far it makes Daredevil look bad. The show makes me realize that a lot of people (including myself) cut Daredevil way too much slack when it came to characters, dialogue and plot.

The dialogue in this show isn't exactly A+ and it has a shitload of problems with subplots. There are a lot of stinkers in the show.

saw episode 5

nothing much to say about episode 5, everything's progressing i guess... i still like the cop. the scene in the hermetically sealed chamber was funny, with both jessica and simpson being too honest only because they couldn't hear each other :> i liked that

the rest of this episode was a bit bland.

on to episode 6 :>

Daredevil, to me, reminded me of a more violent Arrow. Since the majority of GAF like Arrow I'm frankly not surprised it is so well loved. JJ at times feels like it doesn't want to be a superhero show and I think it's better when it embraces its noir side.

Different strokes for different folks. I am not excited for a Luke Cage show because Cage kind of bores but I guess I'm in the minority there as well.

Froli

Personally, I put it above Daredevil, which I quite liked but found maybe a little overrated given all the praise it had?

Do you really think this series is above Daredevil when Jessica Jones tv series has so much flaws pointed out by foxtrot?
*sigh*

I don't know where to begin, I'll just start by saying I didn't like the show. Right now I'm a bit tired since it's late but I can't really sleep so I feel like rattling off my thoughts on the show. I'm going to try to keep them as organized and literate as possible but I'm really just going to be free flowing from here on out, you know just writing random thoughts that pop in to my mind when I think about the whole show. Let's go:

If I can describe the show in a single word it would be boring. Now, some comic fanboy asshole will swoop down and say something incredibly dumb like "you just don't like the show because it's slower paced." To which I will reply, "who let you use your parent's Netflix account? And, how can you fly?" But seriously, I love slower paced shows especially filled in a TV world, especially comic TV world, of faster paced narrative where characters aren't really allowed to breathe. Jessica Jones is not slow paced, it is boring. Breaking Bad is slow paced, Fargo is slow paced and both are excellent at displaying this, JJ wants you to think it's complex and daring but it's shallow and unimaginative. Fargo is a good example because it can create mind numbing tension just from two regular people talking, you just have this eerie sense that anything can happen at a moment's notice and you become especially scared when a character is outside by themselves in the stark, open wilderness.

I don't think JJ knows what it wants to be. Now, I want to preface this all by saying I've never read any JJ comic and I don't plan to ever read one so if this show plays out exactly like the comic I don't care, that just tells me the comic is also bad. I'm not a comic reader but I've seen just about everything in the MCU, but even that doesn't matter because a good show is a good show regardless of the source material. I never gave two fuck alls about Daredevil and always found him to be a "boring" hero, a dude who is slightly not blind. Buzz off. However, the Daredevil TV show is pretty darn good with some excellent cinematography, action, acting, and plot. Now, I'm not some crazy individual who thinks it is the second coming or the best TV show of 2015, I would rank it near Arrow S1 or S2, but it was a decent show that kept me engaged. JJ, on the other hand, never kept me engaged.

For starters, despite being a private eye JJ isn't really about "detective" work or any sort of mystery. By the very first episode we know who Kilgrave is and what he is capable of and by the second episode we are formerly introduced to him. The rest of the series is a drawn out back and forth game between Kilgrave and Jessica with zero mystery or build up. He gets to her, she gets to him, he runs away, he gets back at her, she gets close to him again, etc, etc. Boring. Hey, how about instead of shoving Kilgrave into our face we have him toying with Jessica for the majority of the show, Hannibal style? You know leave a string of murders and cases at her feet that she has to piece together to find him? How about he uses his power to get to those closest to her so that she can no longer trust anyone but herself? Perhaps we can mirror Kilgrave's overt use of control with Jessica's own use of subtle manipulation to get what she wants? How about some actual psychological thrill?

Instead, JJ is content with using Kilgrave in the most uninspired way possible as this mustache twirling villain, obsessed with Jessica, who only seems to know how to use his power to kill people and occasionally spy on Jessica. There is absolutely no subtly or originality to his power usage, we're talking about a guy with the ability to control people's minds and the most original thing he can think of is "I'll let all these people kill themselves if you don't do as I say." A threat he uses pretty much every time he is on screen so that it immediately becomes boring. Oh and that threat that anyone can be a Kilgrave sleeper agent is quickly turned into a joke, relax guys he's not going to play some long con with Jessica if someone is mind controlled by him they will immediately try to kill her or someone close to her. Phew, thanks for removing all that tension.

The cast of supporting characters are even worse, not just with their inability to act, but also the uselessness of their characters with side plots that often go nowhere or are dropped for long stretches. Luke Cage shows up early on as this kind of love interest as Jessica really loves dudes with blank, expressionless faces, but he's dropped quickly and isn't seen again for a long stretch of episodes until the plot suddenly needs him again to play the "damsel." Hogarth is probably the worst character on the show, a powerful woman who just so happens to be a lesbian (surprise, a ruthless woman at the top of her game has to be a homosexual) whose wasted in a terrible sub-plot involving her ex-wife. There really isn't a single point to this sub-plot and Hogarth is presented as a person with zero redeeming qualities, hell the show does a good job of stepping on her good qualities as a lawyer. Screw you Hogarth, stop trying to help your clients and help Jessica, NOW! You see there could have been this interesting theme being conveyed through her character about the nature of power in a relationship and the need for total control, again an attempt to mirror Kilgrave but this never surfaces.

Every other side character is also equally wasted especially that Simpson dude who shows up strong for the first few episodes and then falls by the wayside because the plot no longer demands him only for him to surface again near the end for reasons. I assume he's some dude big in the comics as his reappearance just felt like a painful chore to setup stuff for the future since it was in no way relevant or necessary.

"Ugh, Jessica Kilgrave needs to die!"
"I know, we are in total agreement."
"I'm sorry, I have to kill you because you won't kill him."
"I just said I would."
"No, no, you can't fool me the only way to kill him is to kill you."
"Simpson if you really care then why don't you just leave me alone and go kill him?
"Arrggh, stop making sense and die."

Yes, he's influenced by drugs or whatever it doesn't make that whole scenario not incredibly stupid.

Again, I just have to circle back to the fact that the show is just boring. There is no mystery to solve, no clues to track, no hidden villain, no moral choices, no build up to a tense face-off. Instead, everything is just kinda there at the start and then it just sort of ends. The final show down was really pathetic because they tried to build up the fact that Kilgrave was getting stronger, that his mind control could reach new levels and range. However, none of that happens in the final show down. Killgrave basically tells Jessica where he is and then uses the same basic version of his powers he's used throughout the show. He stands next to a crowed of people and tells them to do stuff. He doesn't control someone through a telephone or shot on a megaphone for all of NY to kill themselves, he just does the same thing he's always done and then Jessica snaps his neck. Game over. Boy, oh boy, what a tense showdown that was built up throughout the entire series. Oh wait...

I just didn't get what the series was trying to convey, what was the theme and who is Jessica Jones? I believe this is supposed to be an origin story for her character so what exactly is Jessica Jones? Is she a private detective solving cases? She didn't actually solve the Kilgrave case, she didn't use much detective skills to catch him she just eventually got tired and snapped his neck. Why do people suddenly think she's a hero now for what she did at the docks and want to hire her? Again, what is her character, what does she do? I have no idea.

Further stray thoughts:
-Why is Kilgrave's sexual abuse basically glanced over? You can show him have a man put his head through a wall or force people to stab themselves to death but you can only have his sexual abuse "shown" through the hushed whispers of victims and then never really talked about again.
-Why is JJ's power so inconsistent? She can help out with ease during a bar brawl with a group of men but a later group of dudes easily beat the shit out of her with tasers? Why can she knock some people out with one punch flinging them across the room but other times regular dudes take 20 hits to do gown?
-What's the point of Reuben?
-Why is the cinematography so inconsistent to being outright bad at times?
-Why does the musical score suck beside the intro?
-I found the dialogue often really clunky and not very good.
-Must she always wear the same jacket and scarf thing?

Jarmel

Banned
This episode 7 is so damn close to jumping the shark.

While I'm enjoying Tennant, Jessica is nowhere near as close to being compelling and is rather frustrating more than anything else.

oh no i forgot about a scene in epi 5.
the costume scene was super cute. both jessica and trish were precious in that scene. the flashbacks were pretty nice in epi 5.

so... 3>1=5>4=2 so far, for me.

ok, now really on to episode 6!

Halfway through episode 3 and the temptation to call it is super, super strong. It's well executed (mostly), but it's so damn depressing. And depressed, everything from visuals to writing reminds me strongly of how it feels in the depths of depression. Which, if intentional, is a sign of a really well executed plan, but it's also mostly unwatchable for me so kind of a wash.

Episode 8:

You know, some naive part of me wanted to believe that Kilgrave didn't rape Jessica during their time together before the series began. So much for that.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm only seven episodes in, but I can't really agree with that.

I'm just about to finish episode 7 and 7 is a total jump the shark episode.

The show just collapses at times and episode 4 and 7 are perfect examples of that.

The subplot issues emerge in the back third of the show. They needed 1-2 more standalones, imo.

The subplot issues are long prevalent before the back third.

Varna

Episode 4 is the last one I've seen. Funny how people are so divided on it. I thought it was fine. Not as good as the previous episodes that for sure. Something worth exploring though. The films really can't stop and give some insight into those kind of issues so it's great for world building that some aspect of the MCU does.

Top Bottom