• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Kimaka

Episode 6:
Jesus Christ Kilgrave. His creepy actions keep piling up. I'm feeling a lot worse for TV Jessica than her comic version. Not only is her abuser at large, but he is doing his best to fuck with her and everyone around her. I'm dreading continuing on to episode 7 because of all the fucked up shit he is likely going to be up to.

Kuro

No. The whole arc should have been wrapped up in 6-7 episodes, but they stretched it. Some mediocre to horrible writing, bad action scenes, questionable low budget special effects (can't forget those awkward super jumps). A meh series overall

IMO Daredevil is 9/10, Jessica Jones is 6/10.

Almost agree but I would rate the show even lower. It was bad in almost every way imaginable.

Pau

Episode 6:
Jesus Christ Kilgrave. His creepy actions keep piling up. I'm feeling a lot worse for TV Jessica than her comic version. Not only is her abuser at large, but he is doing his best to fuck with her and everyone around her. I'm dreading continuing on to episode 7 because of all the fucked up shit he is likely going to be up to.
Yeah.
On the one hand, in the comics she was abused as a kid but she did grow up after knowing that there were people who could defeat him. Here there's no safety net.

Good show. Not as good as daredevil though. Show tries a bit too hard at times to be dark and edgy. Cage actor is a weird combination of stiff/cool/boring/subtle. Ritter is mostly hit but sometimes miss.Overall I enjoyed it a lot though!

Mr Git

It's not a cop-out, just impatient me getting disappointed. It's happening next year!

Nope, he's a Scot. Gets criticised a lot for his "Dick Van Dyke" Londoner accent, but it's pretty good.

It's nothing quite as bad as DVD's mockney accent. However it is American television's conceptualisation of a London accent. Which is how no one really speaks, hence the bugbear. It's often seen in American actors doing British accents (see Keanu Reeves in Dracula), he can definitely do a better one so I imagine the production end has asked him to alter it accordingly. It's not great. Not hampering my enjoyment of the show too much, mind. Edited for shit memory.
Also after episode 5 I'm enjoying Tennant much more.

Loved this part of episode 4
loved that they showed people who had hard feeling after the events of the avengers. It's one of those little things, but it's somthing that I appreciate

holy shit! The person killgrave had taking the photos

Jarmel

Banned
I actually think her plans are well thought out for the most part.
You think it's dumb to try to stab him with the drug but you gloss over the fact that she saves Trish by using the drug to make him think he had killed her, slips the phone in his pocket to track him back to Killgrave, finds Killgrave and COULD have drugged him (she had the advantage of being hidden and being above him. Dude's not a ninja, crashing down into him as you stab him would have worked) but ended up exposing herself to save the cop that he just told to jump off the ledge.
(Ep-4)
I was talking more about the apartment and her trying to stalk Kilgrave through the apartment once her cover was blown. Kilgrave could have just as easily stayed there and told her to stop moving. Once her element of surprise was gone, the plan was a total waste. I'm guessing though that Marvel needed their fight scene so it ended up with her going through the apartment and fighting the family.
Plan after that was also solid and worked. She used her skills to find out who was spying on her, tailed them, found out how to get the jump on Killgrave by catching that Killgrave sends a random person to tell Mal where to go. But Killgrave thought one step ahead and had people not under his control protecting him in case something happened.
No, she got somewhat lucky with the (Ep-5)
stalker situation in that someone in the recovery group was able to tell her what color scarf the guy was wearing. I will grant her points for having access to the police footage but she definitely got lucky with that one. She did come up with the plan to contain him but she also loses points for not doing what Simpson suggested and stalk Kilgrave for a small period of time.
Supermax was also a desperate but solid plan. She's already connected to 3 murders and Killgrave seems completely focused on getting to her. She knows that his powers have a range and a limit, he can't get to her unless he's willing to make a big scene and expose himself. But no one wanted to go along with that plan with might have been it's downfall (Still not sure how he knew she was taking the head to the cops)
The plan to record him in the cage was a good plan and would have worked but Trinity fucked that up by snipping the cord that woulda zapped everyone in the box.
(Ep-7)
The Supermax idea was not solid on any conceptual level. As shown at the end of the episode, he could have just as easily blackmailed guards to get her out or do whatever. I thought the drug addict situation would have taught her that he doesn't need to be around a person to completely control them. Also no way was she getting put into Supermax in a couple of hours. Like wut? It was a bad idea on every conceptual level and it played out largely how I suspected although she should have just killed Kilgrave the moment he popped up in the police station. There was everything she needed and she let that window of opportunity go.

I haven't gotten to the later example so I can't comment on that one.
I'm not sure what's so hard to get. She's trying to expose him ... just like when Law Enforcement send people deep undercover to get as much evidence they can to take someone to trail or when they allow some people to be free to do terrible things as they're building a case against them.

She's not a damn ninja out for revenge or some public hero who can swoop in and bust faces. She's a PI and a victim who was controlled into being raped and turned into a murderer. She's trying to get justice for another girl who went through the same shit as well as all his victims by exposing him (I sound like a broken record but really ... I gotz no clue why others don't see the importance in her being a PI and trying to expose this monster).
It doesn't make sense when the person is as dangerous as Kilgrave. Hell Daredevil spent half the season debating whether he should kill Kingpin and Kingpin was nowhere near as psychotic or dangerous to the public as Kilgrave.
Yes everything in this show is contrived, since it's fiction...:)
That's not a good counterargument.

Pachimari

Just finished Episode 6. I thought it was supposed to have a holy shit ending but it didn't happen. Something I don't understand,
why did Kilgrave pay the million dollar to buy the house, instead of just telling the guy to sign the papers?

Just started watching.. near the end of Ep 2

Holy shit is this good. Netflix and Marvel.. I want more heros.

I knew they were making this and everything but after watching Daredevil I wanted to be in the dark about it. I was thinking about who could play this role and never thought of the same actress from Dont Trust the B in Apt 23. She fucking nails it

i dunno how the hell luke cage is gonna carry his own show. he's a really good looking brick wall character but he acts like a damn brick wall too. lacks the charisma that jessica jones and matt murdock have absolutely.

hopefully they liven him up a lot more for his own series.

Jarmel

Banned
Just finished Episode 6. I thought it was supposed to have a holy shit ending but it didn't happen. Something I don't understand,
why did Kilgrave pay the million dollar to buy the house, instead of just telling the guy to sign the papers?

Ep 6
Probably so it wouldn't raise any alarms.

Keep watching..

Almost all the subplots effect the main story in some big fashion.

i am! episode 7 now :>

Episode 6 Spoilers:

Not really caring for the whole subplot with Jessica having killed Luke's wife. I feel like it's too convenient and unnecessary but maybe I'm just complaining because of how different the relationship is from in the comics.

The secretary is kind of likable but I honestly don't know what she sees in Hogarth. :p

i also thought that part with her connection to luke's wife's death was a bit contrived but i am not a follower of the comic so i just thought this was how it is also in the comic... how are they like in the comic, pau?

yeaaaaaaaa... i like pam though. she's... idk. she comes off really like a decent person. that little scene at the restaurant where they ran into hogarth's wife.... and how hogarth said that 'she will not get this restaurant' and pam said, 'yeah she will'

but like. i dont think pam is overly good either. i mean, she had to know that she was sleeping with a married woman :x

idk. there are things in there that interest me, is all im saying :3

I just finished episode 7 and my suspicion of Kilgrave
jacking off to Jessica's photos is pretty much confirmed now.

I figured because he gets tired every once in a while forcing people to do everything, that there's something more stimulating about getting people to do what you want without powers. You'll definitely get assurance from that in the following episode.

was really hoping for a charlie cox cameo, especially with claire mentioning the other superhero she new, but eh.

i was expecting a scene with matt being pam's lawyer, or even jessica hiring him. but it was still a good show.

i dunno how the hell luke cage is gonna carry his own show. he's a really good looking brick wall character but he acts like a damn brick wall too. lacks the charisma that jessica jones and matt murdock have absolutely.

if they go full 70s exploitation with his show it might be interesting. I doubt it though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
one thing i liked, was how all the pre-released photos for the show, actually played a part in the show.

Vice

If they go a Hero for Hire route it could set things up for a more light-hearted series, but the Netflix series seem to be leaning more toward darker material. Maybe a Coen-esque noir feel where Luke is the straight man in a strange scenario.

Regarding the Hogarth subplot (ending spoilers, seriously don't read this unless you've finished the show)

She is the only person, fully knowing what Kilgrave can do (or rather having a rough idea) and actually makes the decision herself to cooperate with him. Yes, you could say it's "just another" escape mechanism for Kilgrave, but I think considering the show is entirely about control and Kilgrave not giving people a choice, showing someone being manipulated by Kilgrave without actually being forcibly manipulated by Kilgrave (in this case, intoxicated by his power) benefits the series overall.

jmood88

They didn't jump her out of no where. She made contact with them and they kept getting up. Between that and her having so much trouble controlling the family in the condo they made her seem "strong for a girl" rather than super powered when it comes to fighting.
She made contact with a couple, then a bunch more ran up with the tasers.

NomarTyme

I just watched the first five episodes and I know it's too early to tell but JJ is better than Daredevil. And I thought DD was pretty damn good.

jmood88

Which is fine as long as characters point out that she's not thinking rationally instead of just glossing over it. The show takes this stance at times of Jessica thinking she knows what she's doing and other characters accepting that, when it's clear she doesn't.
No they don't, there are plenty of instances where they question her plans and tell her that she's doing the wrong thing. Even Jessica acknowledges that much of what she does aren't always the best ideas.

Jarmel

Banned
No they don't, there are plenty of instances where they question her plans and tell her that she's doing the wrong thing. Even Jessica acknowledges that much of what she does aren't always the best ideas.

Episode 8
Trish brings up how bad of an idea it is playing house with Kilgrave and it's mostly glossed over how bad of an idea it is in order to push forward the 'mentoring' concept. Which I might add was a bad idea so Jessica was right in not going along with it. However I feel the show doesn't delve into the questions of morality enough and when it does, it's in such a superficial light then it appears more as lipservice than anything else.

That's something I feel Daredevil did a lot better with the church visits.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Dude is sexy and can act.

jmood88

Episode 8
Trish brings up how bad of an idea it is playing house with Kilgrave and it's mostly glossed over how bad of an idea it is in order to push forward the 'mentoring' concept. Which I might add was a bad idea so Jessica was right in not going along with it. However I feel the show doesn't delve into the questions of morality enough and when it does, it's in such a superficial light then it appears more as lipservice than anything else.

That's something I feel Daredevil did a lot better with the church visits.

They're different characters, though. Daredevil enjoys what he does while feeling guilty about how much he enjoys it while Jessica has no interest in being a hero but ends up doing heroic stuff because she's a good person and shit ends up happening around her. As for the episode 8 thing
she tried out the Kilgrave mentor thing, realized that there was no possible way he would reform without her having to give up her life and stay with him (which is pretty much all he wanted anyway), so she knocked him out and locked him up. They weren't interested in redeeming Kilgrave and Jessica gave up the fleeting notion that she could use him to do good work.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

agreed, he's as insipid as it gets. Hopefully he improves both on his acting skills and gets some better dialogue to read. Side characters will make that show, anyway

Pau

i am! episode 7 now :>

i also thought that part with her connection to luke's wife's death was a bit contrived but i am not a follower of the comic so i just thought this was how it is also in the comic... how are they like in the comic, pau?

yeaaaaaaaa... i like pam though. she's... idk. she comes off really like a decent person. that little scene at the restaurant where they ran into hogarth's wife.... and how hogarth said that 'she will not get this restaurant' and pam said, 'yeah she will'

but like. i dont think pam is overly good either. i mean, she had to know that she was sleeping with a married woman :x

idk. there are things in there that interest me, is all im saying :3
Comic and up to Episode 6 spoilers:

In the comic, Luke and Jessica have been FWB for quite some time already and there's no connection between Luke and Jessica's time under the control of Kilgrave. The relationship/love interest/sex stuff is split between another character (Scott Lang, the main character from the Ant-Man movie) and Luke. So it makes sense that they're doing something different with it, but it still feels unnecessary. :/

And yeah, that scene helped a lot in making Pam likable but it made me even more confused because I was like: Why are you going along with this?

In other news, my boyfriend says Kilgrave reminds him of one of my uncles. D: D: D: D:

Stoze

About to start episode 10.

The show is pretty good, but is not great imo. They realllly stretched things out during these episodes. So much time just lingers on Jessica walking around and sneaking about, or making things overly clear in terms of what's going on with the characters and the plot. There's not nearly enough editing and not enough subtlety.

A good example of this was in Episode 5:
The sequence where Jessica follows around Malcom as he's giving photos to Kilgrave. They show this 3 fucking times in full without editing it down. They even show Jessica checking the time to show it's 10:00 twice.
It feels like they really didn't trust the viewers to follow what's going on.

After episode 5 there's not as much filler, but the writing gets much worse. Some pretty awful bits of dialouge, poorly written motivation and resulting actions from characters. Jessica does some really questionable and dumb shit, and it felt written that way so the viewer would forcibly feel like the stakes have been raised.

BUT...I really like Jessica Jones as a character and Ritter's performance, as well as Killgrave/David Tennant. There's some good surprises and entertaining stuff in here, and the depressing tone in a superhero story is keeping me interested. I don't think my opinion will change though with the last 4 episodes, but hopefully it goes out on a higher note.

Jarmel

Banned
They're different characters, though. Daredevil enjoys what he does while feeling guilty about how much he enjoys it while Jessica has no interest in being a hero but ends up doing heroic stuff because she's a good person and shit ends up happening around her. As for the episode 8 thing
she tried out the Kilgrave mentor thing, realized that there was no possible way he would reform without her having to give up her life and stay with him (which is pretty much all he wanted anyway), so she knocked him out and locked him up. They weren't interested in redeeming Kilgrave and Jessica gave up the fleeting notion that she could use him to do good work.

Ep-8
Oh I fully understand they weren't interested in redeeming Kilgrave but it was one of those things that feels that they could have explored further in detail. It seems that they could go further with the character work at times than they do. I liked when they introduced the rehab group for Kilgrave victims and was hoping they would spend more time with that but at the point I'm at, but that just got laid completely on the side. Sometimes it just unnecessarily superficial other than the rape/PTSD aspect which has the subtlety of a brick to the face.

Episode 7

Holy shit, fuck you Kilgrave. Gotdamn Ruben didn't deserve that.

The interrogation room scene was awesome, and the police station scene immediately following was insane and tense as hell. Kilgrave is such a screwed up villain, and David Tennant's portrayal of him is great. But man, that could've ended so much worse. That music after she left the station was creepy as hell too.

Ruben's sister. :(

saw episode 7

ugh. that ... i didnt like that. the plot was too contrived and stupid. krystin was .... mediore >____< that whole episode rode on tennant to deliver it and he did but ugh.... >____< didnt like it.

tennant was terrific in there though. saving grace.

Top Bottom