• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Episode 4 is the last one I've seen. Funny how people are so divided on it. I thought it was fine. Not as good as the previous episodes that for sure. Something worth exploring though. The films really can't stop and give some insight into those kind of issues so it's great for world building that some aspect of the MCU does.
Yeah. I love the conversation Luke and JJ has when they're discussing their powers and talk about other powered people out there including the Avengers. That and see the heel turn the public has had on superheroes is fun build up towards Civil War

Tobor

Episode 4 is the last one I've seen. Funny how people are so divided on it. I thought it was fine. Not as good as the previous episodes that for sure. Something worth exploring though. The films really can't stop and give some insight into those kind of issues so it's great for world building that some aspect of the MCU does.

Agreed completely.

Episode 5 was excellent, and now I'm onto 6. Great show so far. I'd say not quite as good as Daredevil, but that's hard to top.

Halfway through episode 3 and the temptation to call it is super, super strong. It's well executed (mostly), but it's so damn depressing. And depressed, everything from visuals to writing reminds me strongly of how it feels in the depths of depression. Which, if intentional, is a sign of a really well executed plan, but it's also mostly unwatchable for me so kind of a wash.
The depressing feel is absolutely on purpose. Not everything is sunshine and unicorns. I love the MCU with all my heart but getting to see this side of the MCU is fantastic.

Dali

She knocks out people with one hit plenty of times. The fight with the security guys just had a bunch of people jump her out of nowhere.
They didn't jump her out of no where. She made contact with them and they kept getting up. Between that and her having so much trouble controlling the family in the condo they made her seem "strong for a girl" rather than super powered when it comes to fighting.

They didn't jump her out of no where. She made contact with them and they kept getting up. Between that and her having so much trouble controlling the family in the condo they made her seem "strong for a girl" rather than super powered when it comes to fighting.
She was trying not to hurt them. In the fight against the loan shark's guys, she was sending people skidding across the floor and fighting the muggers who were fighting Malcolm, those guys were flying from her attacks

You guys are funny, this is on the same level as DD. it's pretty damn good.
Better IMO. After a while, I only really cared about the fights and seeing what crazy thing Kingpin was going to do next. Plus the mix of gritty street level vigilante and mystical stuff felt quite jarring at times

Here, I was really interested in the characters, learning more about them. The tone were creep, depressing, tense throughout. And Kilgrave was a much better villain. His presence was pervasive and always felt

jesu

It's a very different show. Daredevil is a superhero action series, whereas this is....a drama with a (somewhat) superpowered main character.

I'm seven episodes in and so far it makes Daredevil look bad. The show makes me realize that a lot of people (including myself) cut Daredevil way too much slack when it came to characters, dialogue and plot.

Love Jessica from True Blood and this Jessica doesn't have her.
So I'm probably out.

BokehKing

Banned
Is it just me or is it just not looking that great in 4K on Netflix?

Well compared to Blacklist and the other 4K offerings

Up to episode 5, not as addicted as I was with daredevil

Maybe I should stop looking at it as a super hero show?

I'm not finished yet but unless the show is purposely trying to depict her as a bad guy, many of her actions seem to feed into her own guilt and shame rather than actually trying to prevent further casualties. Hopefully the show calls her out on it but I somewhat doubt that.

Uhhh, that's part of the point of the show. She's NOT a Captain America or Spider Man.
When she started going down that path she ends up exposing herself to Killgrave and the worse series of events in her adult life is set into motion. She's a lonely, flawed, damaged person and she knows that some of the shit she does is flat out wrong. She's not a Caped Hero or a cop, her goal is to expose AND stop Killgrave (not only for her but for his countless other victims).

I mean ... she's a PI. Exposing people is part of what comes with the job.

Lesath

I disagree. Acting and writing is cringey at times, action is lacking and all over the place, and what gets me most of all is that
Kilgrave had so much untapped potential. I mean the end of DD had me rooting for everybody because omg that is gloriously evil, and JJ had what, a bunch of cops shooting and a few civilians beating each other up? THAT was his brilliant plan after getting the powerup? And then he gets his neck snapped because he's honestly more pathetic than awesome.

Jarmel

Banned
Uhhh, that's part of the point of the show. She's NOT a Captain America or Spider Man.
When she started going down that path she ends up exposing herself to Killgrave and the worse series of events in her adult life is set into motion. She's a lonely, flawed, damaged person and she knows that some of the shit she does is flat out wrong. She's not a Caped Hero or a cop, her goal is to expose AND stop Killgrave (not only for her but for his countless other victims).

I mean ... she's a PI. Exposing people is part of what comes with the job.

Too bad she's not particularly good at it and a number of her schemes are harebrained at best. At least Simpson has a clear idea of what needs to be done and other characters in the show are coming up with semi-productive ways to try and get rid of Kilgrave. Up to Episode 8:
I mean one episode had her trying to stab him with the anesthesia as if he would let her get close enough to do it. Then in episode 7 she had the purely idiotic idea of getting into jail which resulted in a very predictable outcome. She's not approaching this in any sort of smart manner and so when she inevitably racks up a body count because of one person despite the collateral damage she is literally seeing before her eyes, I find it aggravating. I guess you can chalk this up to being an anti-hero or whatever with her only caring about Hope and fuck everybody else to an extent, which is fine in concept but I also want people to call her out on this.

The depressing feel is absolutely on purpose. Not everything is sunshine and unicorns. I love the MCU with all my heart but getting to see this side of the MCU is fantastic.

"Not sunshine and rainbows" and "depressing" are really not the same thing. You can showcase a darker side to things, a more mature one, without making it actively unhappy.

Dragon

Banned
Too bad she's not particularly good at it and a number of her schemes are harebrained at best. At least Simpson has a clear idea of what needs to be done and other characters in the show are coming up with semi-productive ways to try and get rid of Kilgrave. Up to Episode 8:
I mean one episode had her trying to stab him with the anesthesia as if he would let her get close enough to do it. Then in episode 7 she had the purely idiotic idea of getting into jail which resulted in a very predictable outcome. She's not approaching this in any sort of smart manner and so when she inevitably racks up a body count because of one person despite the collateral damage she is literally seeing before her eyes, I find it aggravating. I guess you can chalk this up to being an anti-hero or whatever with her only caring about Hope and fuck everybody else to an extent, which is fine in concept but I also want people to call her out on this.

Hmm, it's almost as if the show tackles things such as PTSD and rape and some characters aren't exactly logical when it comes to dealing with it. Like seriously, she's not an assassin, what you're expecting is way too nuts.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
One of the problems I'm having is that I'm constantly watching the background actors because I suspect them and you can often see them hitting their marks. Jessica walks by, stand up and start walking.

The main character is depressed and has crippling PTSD. Of course the show is depressing

Uh, not necessarily? The character can be depressed without it entirely taking over the entire tone of every scene of the show.

I mean, clearly, that's the way they decided to go with it, but I'm disinclined to think it's a good one.

Jarmel

Banned
Hmm, it's almost as if the show tackles things such as PTSD and rape and some characters aren't exactly logical when it comes to dealing with it. Like seriously, she's not an assassin, what you're expecting is way too nuts.

Which is fine as long as characters point out that she's not thinking rationally instead of just glossing over it. The show takes this stance at times of Jessica thinking she knows what she's doing and other characters accepting that, when it's clear she doesn't.

Uh, not necessarily? The character can be depressed without it entirely taking over the entire tone of every scene of the show.

I mean, clearly, that's the way they decided to go with it, but I'm disinclined to think it's a good one.
The depressing feel fits with the subject matter and the characters and especially the villain

Dalek

Which is fine as long as characters point out that she's not thinking rationally instead of just glossing over it. The show takes this stance at times of Jessica thinking she knows what she's doing and other characters accepting that, when it's clear she doesn't.

In the first episode Trish tells Jessica that her PTSD is causing her to not think clearly.

The depressing feel fits with the subject matter and the characters and especially the villain

Yes, it does, but it didn't have to. Because... the show could have been structured differently.

That's kind of what I'm trying to say, I guess. It's a fairly well put together show, but the final product is just doing its damndest to push me away. Still trying to push through, though.

Yes, it does, but it didn't have to. Because... the show could have been structured differently.

That's kind of what I'm trying to say, I guess. It's a fairly well put together show, but the final product is just doing its damndest to push me away. Still trying to push through, though.
It DOES have to. The show is tackling alcoholism, depression, PTSD, and a city traumatized by recent events.

Daredevil wasn't depressing because.it didn't need to be and wasn't supposed to be

Jarmel

Banned
In the first episode Trish tells Jessica that her PTSD is causing her to not think clearly.

Too bad that Trish (Episode 5 or 6?)
doesn't really do that again and largely accepts Jessica's viewpoint. Simpson has worked well for awhile in that he isn't following Jessica's lead.

Too bad that Trish (Episode 5 or 6?)
doesn't really do that again and largely accepts Jessica's viewpoint. Simpson has worked well for awhile in that he isn't following Jessica's lead.
Well Jessica is all they got so they gotta take the good with the bad. Aint no time for Therapy. Hell therapy can't fix Jessica..

Dragon

Banned

I'm confused. The idea that you call out was shot down by both Trish and Jeri. Trish constantly second guesses Jessica. I'm kinda like, did we watch the same show?

"Not sunshine and rainbows" and "depressing" are really not the same thing. You can showcase a darker side to things, a more mature one, without making it actively unhappy.

It's about a person dealing with rape, shame, longing, failure, alcoholism, abuse, stalking, and PTSD. I'm really not sure what else it could be. If that isn't something you want to watch, that's understandable. But all art isn't for every person. And this is exploring darker themes that we don't want to be personally confronted with, which is one of the reasons why art is such a precious thing. It gets us to engage in things we might not otherwise. If you don't want to engage with this particular thing, that's fine. But it is what it is, and wishing it had a different tone is putting yourself in before the art you're engaged with. Judge it on it's own merits, but not what your sensibilities are.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm confused. The idea that you call out was shot down by both Trish and Jeri. Trish constantly second guesses Jessica. I'm kinda like, did we watch the same show?

I wasn't referring to Episode 7 in particular but more that
Trish has agreed that Hope needs to be saved over the potential casualties.

Dalek

I've noticed that a lot of the criticism of this show is not specially about what the show IS, but rather what they would have wanted differently.

Jarmel

Banned
I've noticed that a lot of the criticism of this show is not specially about what the show IS, but rather what they would have wanted differently.

I could talk about the shitty subplots like with the lawyer and the divorce if you want me to. How it's largely disconnected from the rest of the show and serves to waste time while not being compelling in any fashion.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Finished this earlier today.

Decent show, but below DD and SHIELD in quality. JJ grew on me, as I didn't really like Ritter coming into the show. Good humor, healthy amounts of self doubt, and generally shows the right amount of common sense in her decisions.

Liked Trish as that sidekickish character, need to look into that comic character, to see if her origins are similar.

Kilgrave was the best thing in the show. Fucked up
but somehow lies well enough to appear sympathetic in his origin, until that lie is revealed.

If Coltier is the perfect Luke Cage, then Luke Cage is pretty boring. Hope for an improved showing on his upcoming show.

Weakest show in terms of visually displayed superpowers, with an occasional decent shot
like Cage on fire
So many Padlock destroying scenes lol.

Way too many side plots that are around simply to end up as reasons to
let Kilgrave escape. Lawyers marriage, awful neighbor and that support group.

Liked Malcolm's arc, true human being and friend.

Hogarth is the most confusing character i've seen in a long time.

Clement's played by Clarke Peters, and (person of interest spoiler as well)
got the ending he should have gotten in that show lol

Simpson, I'm mixed on
but appears to be the story arc of the future.

guek

Banned
I've only gotten through episode 4. I'm enjoying myself well enough, but I don't find this show very conducive to binge watching, probably because the action isn't especially engaging. I'm enjoying the hell out of the world they've created though. So far, so good.

I could talk about the shitty subplots like with the lawyer and the divorce if you want me to. How it's largely disconnected from the rest of the show and serves to waste time while not being compelling in any fashion.

i kinda liked the hogarth divorce subplot. too bad now i know that it doesnt actually tie in with anything else in the series :<

aaaaaaaaah

Jarmel

Banned
i kinda liked the hogarth divorce subplot. too bad now i know that it doesnt actually tie in with anything else in the series :<

aaaaaaaaah

I haven't finished the season so I don't know if it eventually ties in but even if it does, it's just so standalone that it really shouldn't have been in the show. Just extra fat that feels out of place. It's not incorporated well into the show at all.

Jumeira

Banned
Not at all. It's quite boring and I can't stop seeing agent Locke not being Agent Locke.

EP 4 and I'm done with this show. Mediocre with a dull heroine. Gave it a low rating stars on NF.

I haven't finished the season so I don't know if it eventually ties in but even if it does, it's just so standalone that it really shouldn't have been in the show. Just extra fat that feels out of place. It's not incorporated well into the show at all.

ooh ok

i hope it ties in

just saw episode 6

mmm it's okay, a bit draggy. saw that she had to finally out the truth about reva to luke. it was delivered okay, if a bit undercooked from krysten's part. they are fleshing out kilgrave in this episode, which was due. tennant did well, i think. very well. i liked this ending, more than episode 5's reveal that malcolm was the stalker with the camera.

the fight choreography was kinda ... eh. at the rescue site, i mean. it didn't touch any where near daredevil's fighting scenes. a bit of a let down.

this was kilgrave's episode. i enjoyed it fairly.

on to episode 7 :>

Pau

Episode 6 Spoilers:

Not really caring for the whole subplot with Jessica having killed Luke's wife. I feel like it's too convenient and unnecessary but maybe I'm just complaining because of how different the relationship is from in the comics.

The secretary is kind of likable but I honestly don't know what she sees in Hogarth. :p

I actually think her plans are well thought out for the most part.
You think it's dumb to try to stab him with the drug but you gloss over the fact that she saves Trish by using the drug to make him think he had killed her, slips the phone in his pocket to track him back to Killgrave, finds Killgrave and COULD have drugged him (she had the advantage of being hidden and being above him. Dude's not a ninja, crashing down into him as you stab him would have worked) but ended up exposing herself to save the cop that he just told to jump off the ledge.
Plan after that was also solid and worked. She used her skills to find out who was spying on her, tailed them, found out how to get the jump on Killgrave by catching that Killgrave sends a random person to tell Mal where to go. But Killgrave thought one step ahead and had people not under his control protecting him in case something happened.
Supermax was also a desperate but solid plan. She's already connected to 3 murders and Killgrave seems completely focused on getting to her. She knows that his powers have a range and a limit, he can't get to her unless he's willing to make a big scene and expose himself. But no one wanted to go along with that plan with might have been it's downfall (Still not sure how he knew she was taking the head to the cops).
The plan to record him in the cage was a good plan and would have worked but Trinity fucked that up by snipping the cord that woulda zapped everyone in the box.

I'm not sure what's so hard to get. She's trying to expose him ... just like when Law Enforcement send people deep undercover to get as much evidence they can to take someone to trail or when they allow some people to be free to do terrible things as they're building a case against them.
She's not a damn ninja out for revenge or some public hero who can swoop in and bust faces. She's a PI and a victim who was controlled into being raped and turned into a murderer. She's trying to get justice for another girl who went through the same shit as well as all his victims by exposing him (I sound like a broken record but really ... I gotz no clue why others don't see the importance in her being a PI and trying to expose this monster).

Top Bottom