• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

TDLink

Well good thing I'm not saying that. This whole show is completely different from Alias. The whole MCU is different from the comics. If I really wanted to give this stuff shit, I would bring up every single change.

All I said is Kevin is a shitty supervillain name. It's such an arbitrary change. You say names don't matter, well I doubt you would tolerate Starlord being renamed Moonking or Peter Quill being renamed John Smith.

Star Lord is already a completely different character in the film from the comics. He is Peter in name only. So sure, if they want to change his name I really wouldn't have cared. Some people who do care about this stuff more would probably even prefer it.

Kevin isn't his supervillain name. It's Kilgrave, plain and simple. They say it a dozen times an episode. You hear "Kevin" for the first time in like episode 7 or 8 and it's only once. Zebediah is a silly-ass name and honestly it would be hard to take him seriously. Kevin isn't a badguy name, it's just a normal name. Nothing inherently good or bad about it. It's just a name. But it doesn't matter what it is, because he's essentially known as just "Kilgrave".

Quick

Banned
Well good thing I'm not saying that. This whole show is completely different from Alias. The whole MCU is different from the comics. If I really wanted to give this stuff shit, I would bring up every single change.

All I said is Kevin is a shitty supervillain name. It's such an arbitrary change. You say names don't matter, well I doubt you would tolerate Starlord being renamed Moonking or Peter Quill being renamed John Smith.

The difference between your examples and Kilgrave is that they kept the name and mostly only refer to him as Kilgrave.

Kevin as his first name is inconsequential.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Kevin is not the Supervillain name. He is called this way by
his parents which makes actually sense, or would you call your son with his codename)

TDLink

This is a show about a dude who mind controls people in purple suits called Kilgrave, and somehow you think Zebediah is silly

Yes. There are varying levels of silliness in all things and this show is actually trying to go for something pretty grounded and "realistic" other than the required suspension of disbelief with the three super powered characters. Intentionally avoiding corny comic book names falls under that. And I mean, they do still call him Kilgrave anyways. Like Quick said, his first name is inconsequential.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Seems like they planted the seeds for season 2 ... are all the Netflex shows gonna do that or is it build up for the defenders?
It's still super unclear if there is a plan for Defenders. Joe Quesada can laugh off rumors of Iron Fist being in trouble, but there still is no showrunner, no known writers attached, no lead cast...

If they plan on sticking to the schedule they seem on now, production on Iron Fist will need to start getting ready real damn soon.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Again: Why should they now announce stuff, when Iron Fist is earliest to release in 2017 when they stay to the pattern? Just because NeoGAF acts stupid?
And: Why should they announce stuff now and not at big Con?

TDLink

It's still super unclear if there is a plan for Defenders. Joe Quesada can laugh off rumors of Iron Fist being in trouble, but there still isn't a showrunners, no known writers attached, no lead cast...

The show isn't scheduled until 2017. The fact that it has none of that yet isn't odd. And you can bet they have writers on it.

There was definitely a plan there since the beginning. I believe the plan probably shuffled a bit now that Daredevil Season 2 is a thing...but that happened so quickly and early that they probably had an alternate plan ready for that scenario we find ourselves in. Just like they had an alternate scenario for Civil War and Phase 3 of the films if they got Spider-Man back. If we get a Jessica Jones Season 2 I am sure they will take that into account also. Luke Cage isn't done with production yet and they're also dealing with post on Daredevil S2, so right now that is what they're focused on.

Yes. There are varying levels of silliness in all things and this show is actually trying to go for something pretty grounded and "realistic" other than the required suspension of disbelief with the three super powered characters. Intentionally avoiding corny comic book names falls under that. And I mean, they do still call him Kilgrave anyways. Like Quick said, his first name is inconsequential.
Somehow I don't believe that your silliness breaking point is at Zebediah, or an alliterative or punny comic book name. Anyway, I said my piece on this.

This doctor-lawyer-secretary sublot better be going somewhere.

TDLink

Because you need to have showrunners and writers on board pretty damn far ahead?

Daredevil's showrunner was Drew Goddard and two episodes in he left the project and it was passed off to Stephen S. DeKnight for the rest of the run. And now it is yet another couple of people for the second season. Getting a showrunner far in advance is not necessary. Melissa Rosenberg is the only showrunner that was attached far in advance. And that's because she has been trying to get Jessica Jones made for years.

We only found out about Luke Cage's showrunner earlier this year on March 31st, a few months before production began. If they plan to release Iron Fist in early 2017 and stick to a similar time table we probably will hear about the show runner this spring...at the earliest. I wouldn't be surprised if it was later than that though.

It's still super unclear if there is a plan for Defenders. Joe Quesada can laugh off rumors of Iron Fist being in trouble, but there still is no showrunner, no known writers attached, no lead cast...

If they plan on sticking to the schedule they seem on now, production on Iron Fist will need to start getting ready real damn soon.

Hmmm, that's something.
I really do wonder if the rumors are true and they're thinking of ditching Iron Fist in favor of the Punisher.

Maybe it will just be JJ, DD, Luke and Misty.

I think there's a plan for Defenders. It's fucking Marvel for christ sakes.

There was the Black Mist stuff in DD season 1, hinting at madame gao being mystical, etc. They're slowly building the mystical side of this Netflix part of the MCU.

Episode 11:
why the fuck is Malcolm taking any sort of life advice/world views from Robyn? Like, she's literally by far the worst person in the Kilgrave group and she's done nothing but fuck up everyone else's life. like, goddamn, when she first freed Kilgrave I actually looked up the wiki page thinking "this bitch must be some sort of supervillian down the line, right?" nope. just an asshole created for the show.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Episode 11:
why the fuck is Malcolm taking any sort of life advice/world views from Robyn? Like, she's literally by far the worst person in the Kilgrave group and she's done nothing but fuck up everyone else's life. like, goddamn, when she first freed Kilgrave I actually looked up the wiki page thinking "this bitch must be some sort of supervillian down the line, right?" nope. just an asshole created for the show.
To her defense, she most likely didnt knew it better

Episode 11:
Well to be fair,
everyone around him is shitty. Wacky neighbors, mind controlling supervillain and super powered alocoholic PTSD stricken PI. Most of the people in that support group aren't great people either it seems.

Finished it. Liked it on the whole, but definitely thought it had more problems than Daredevil. I also like superheroes more than noir, so there's that.

For the first half, I was like,
"this show is less gory than Daredevil, but tonally darker, okay,"
and then in the second half, I was all
"NOT LESS GORY, DEFINITELY NOT LESS GORY D:"

Kalentan

but kilgrove in jessica jones just feels like they gave captain vertigo or mirror master an entire season of arrow or flash. it just seems that villian is too low level to give the hero that much trouble.

I mean had Kilgrave kept on getting more powerful...

Then no one could stop him. He would have taken over the world with little effort. Hell, in the Avengers show (EMH), he DID take over the world at one point. One of the few who can actually claim that.

I mean had Kilgrave kept on getting more powerful...

Then no one could stop him. He would have taken over the world with little effort. Hell, in the Avengers show (EMH), he DID take over the world at one point. One of the few who can actually claim that.

yeah, and Mad Mod took over the US for one episode of the TT cartoon. still is a c-list vilian with one gimmick.

yeah, and Mad Mod took over the US for one episode of the TT cartoon. still is a c-list vilian with one gimmick.
It's one of the most powerful and dangerous gimmicks in comics though. Don't be cynical, the guy would be giving the Avengers trouble if he wanted to.

And I fully expect that "C-List" to fade away after this show. I expect Marvel Comics brings Purple Man to the forefront before too long due to his new popularity. Such a great character

raphier

Banned
The depressing feel is absolutely on purpose. Not everything is sunshine and unicorns. I love the MCU with all my heart but getting to see this side of the MCU is fantastic.

Funny people say that, becayse everything on tv has been "gritty" since forever. Daredevil, Dark knight, Arrow season 1-2, Game of Thrones. Walking Dead. It's getting meh.

Flash is probably the only show along supergirl to have "the rainbows" and "unicorns" as you call it.

PirateKing

Finished the show. Really liked the first 3 episodes but then it just turns to crap. Only redeeming part of the show was Kilgrave. Damn i let my own hype get to me.

Seems like they planted the seeds for season 2 ... are all the Netflex shows gonna do that or is it build up for the defenders?

Yeah in the end they left
Nuke
alive and
Jeri
is going to be trouble later on too.

But, they could crossover those characters into Luke Cage or even Daredevil. Will be interesting to see :)

Funny people say that, becayse everything on tv has been "gritty" since forever. Daredevil, Dark knight, Arrow season 1-2, Game of Thrones. Walking Dead. It's getting meh.

Flash is probably the only show along supergirl to have "the rainbows" and "unicorns" as you call it.
Game Of Thrones is Game Of Thrones.

Daredevil and JJ are dark and "gritty" but still pretty fun at times, which it needs. They're not just dark and gritty for the sake of it, the shows are still full of colour

Stoze

He was talking about the MCU, not all of television. This is easily the most depressing/real thing they've put out, even though it still has cheeseball lines and goofy storylines in it.

Trey

Just finished up. I'd give the whole thing a soft 6. It has some promise, but the execution left a lot to be desired on several fronts.

Fast thoughts:

Jessica Jones is a character of missed opportunity. It's a shame. Pretty much nothing about her is explored or built upon. Where her character ends up in the finale is the exact place she begins from. Ritter played the role fine, but she wasn't given much to work with.

Luke Cage is used bluntly, and his abrupt departures and arrivals in the story were awkward.

The action was painfully bad, and thankfully was used sparingly.

There were some cool set pieces, some cool shots.

Kilgrave had his moments, but he was too corny. He never felt truly menacing because his shtick became rote really early, and he never evolved; even as his motivation came into focus. Throw all the gore at me that you want, not gonna create any tension if it all falls the same exact way.

I came around on Malcolm.

Pacing is bad the whole way through. Felt like padding, and episodes would drag.

Trish is almost too sweet/loyal/flawless.

On the balance, the show just didn't explore the themes it propped up with fluff dialogue enough. At the same time, it would pull goofy shenanigans at least once an episode and still expect you to suspend disbelief.

I really liked some of the ideas the show had. And while I don't like how the character JJ was handled throughout the season, she has moxie, and is a nice change of pace for a superhero lead. The show just didn't present it well enough for me.

raphier

Banned
Game Of Thrones is Game Of Thrones.

Daredevil and JJ are dark and "gritty" but still pretty fun at times, which it needs. They're not just dark and gritty for the sake of it, the shows are still full of colour

blah blah excuses, the shows are the way the crew intends them to be. GoT is more action packed than it's book counterparts.

DD and JJ are gritty for the sake of it. DD is because of the whole "Devil and Satan" angle and JJ, well for the hell of it. If these shows were made in 90's or early 00's, they would be drastically different. Like Rome or X-files. You know serious, but in a good way.

He was talking about the MCU, not all of television. This is easily the most depressing/real thing they've put out, even though it still has cheeseball lines and goofy storylines in it.

let's hope is not all doom and gloom come Iron Fist.

blah blah excuses, the shows are the way the crew intends them to be. GoT is more action packed than it's book counterparts.

DD and JJ are gritty for the sake of it. DD is because of the whole "Devil and Satan" angle and JJ, well for the hell of it. If these shows were made in 90's or early 00's, they would be drastically different. Like Rome or X-files. You know serious, but in a good way.
What? Daredevil takes notes from the tone of some of its comics, same with JJ. The tone fits the characters. JJ tackles alcoholism, PTSD, depression, drug abuse, divorce, etc. All very serious, non-light hearted toned themes. Flash is fun because it's supposed to be and its great, and JJ is dark and depressing because its supposed to be.

Edit: Hopefully Iron Fist is more fantastical than dark. Would be a good contrast to the rest of the Netflix side of the MCU

Froli

Just finished up. I'd give the whole thing a soft 6. It has some promise, but the execution left a lot to be desired on several fronts.

Pacing is bad the whole way through. Felt like padding, and episodes would drag.

Finished the show. Really liked the first 3 episodes but then it just turns to crap. Only redeeming part of the show was Kilgrave. Damn i let my own hype get to me.

Yep. It's that bad.
Glad more people has seen through the awful to mediocre writing and dragged storyline. Jesus christ have you guys seen the low budget super jumps of the main character? it was awkward and laughable lol

I hope this production crew won't touch the Defenders, because god damn, they are terrible. Let the Daredevil crew at least be a part of it.

PsychBat!

Banned
Hyperbole, sweet hyperbole.

image.php
image.php
image.php

Jessica's strength is pretty incostistent throughout the 9 or 10 epsiodes I watched now.

I will finish this, but I am going to say, so far this is an okay show - nothing more, nothing less.

Finally finished, and I'm struggling to find any reason to this entire season.

• As I touched on in earlier posts, Kilgrove didn't feel like a big bad guy, but more like one of the smaller guys you'd see show up for one or two episodes in Arrow or Flash before being promptly being defeated. He has one gimmick and while it's been argued it's a very strong one, it also got old very fast. Like, if headphones prevented mind control all along, why didn't they just use that earlier on in the season instead of pulling it last minute in the finale? It really felt like one arc spread to its breaking point to where there were several episodes in the middle that just felt completely unnecessary.
  • About halfway through, it decided to just kill off all of its sideplots for no real reason. For the rest of the season, it relied too heavily on a main story arc that already felt like it was being dragged out. The lawyer divorce story, the romance between Jessica and Luke, the whole short-lived thing with the woman who hired Jessica to kill her, none of that went anywhere.
  • The first few episodes had much more intrigue and depth going on than the rest of the season. There was something there with tackling Jessica's PTSD and her relationship with the law firm while keeping her everyday cases as a frontmost story to focus on, but after Hope's case Jessica doesn't really take any more for the rest of the season, which is a shame, because if you look at the show's closest sibling, Daredevil, even that show kept up with introducing new defense cases for the law firm to tackle, which kept things fresh and interesting.
  • At some point they decided flashbacks were a good idea to do--while for some things it was somewhat necessary (showing the scene where Jessica kills Luke's wife, maybe even when Jessica and Kilgrove meet) the show quickly went far overboard in the same way Arrow did--except, when Arrow did it, they had 60+ episodes to do it in and it eventually got to the point where it got so overused that it became ordinary, whereas in this it just sticks out as showing stuff that didn't need to be explicitly showed (everything when Jessica and Trish were kids).
  • There were several moments in the show where you can see they try to do some character development with Malcolm but the way they do it just comes across as incredibly poorly written and more than anything makes him look like an idiot. Him trusting the least stable person he knows to tell him how the world works. Him remarking how Jessica gives off loneliness but he decides to stay after stopping Robyn's fight for no real reason, etc., etc. He's really the only character that really sees a big change outside of Jessica, and with Jessica it's a change for the worse (let's get rid of her PTSD and make her character incredibly bland and one dimensional) so when his change is all over the place for odd reasons, there's something wrong going on there.
At the end of it, so little happened outside of the main conflict (one that could've been solved in less than half the episodes) that I just felt like I watched a 13 hour pilot for a show I didn't particularly enjoy, which is just a shame.

AniHawk

kinda/sorta crossposting from the spoilers thread but yeah i didn't really feel it. i agree that the main problem was a lack of an arc. good casting in ritter and tennant kind of offsets a show with weird pacing and missed opportunities.

introducing kilgrave so early does so many things that are a negative in my view. one, we don't get to see jessica be jessica. not only does it not allow us to see where she is in her life, what her day to day is like, or how she interacts with people/stress/her job, but her life becomes quickly defined by kilgrave. in the books, this really isn't the case. jessica is damaged by her ordeal with kilgrave, but it's more than just her time with him - it's a combination of things that led her to become the way she was. we don't get to see that.

this could have better set up the world too. in 'alias', jessica jones investigates superpowered people. maybe not every case she took up could have been related to this, but it would have made it more acceptable to the viewer by the time kilgrave shows up.

showing kilgrave early also lessens his impact on the story. the best parts are when he's in the background and this sort of haunting figure. i said in the other thread that he should have been introduced maybe in episode 7 or so, where that's the 'hope' incident (i hate that they named this character 'hope'). jessica could have some nightmares of her time (maybe she'll be asleep and we just 'hear' her dreams, or just kilgrave shouting her name), but we don't know what exactly it means, just that it bothers her. maybe there could be a case before kilgrave where it seems like there's this guy who has mind control, or a very weak version of it, and jessica is sort of relieved it's not him, and then we get some sort of explanation as to why she was worried or something instead of even having a flashback.

the dude is also a super asshole. i don't know why they went the route of trying to sympathize with him. or if that wasn't the intention, why have him actually help people and show love for his mom? kilgrave is compelling because he seems like this force of nature, and they're trying to reign him in and control him so he can be tried by the system. after simpson and walker repeatedly tell jones to kill him and she doesn't, i thought she would stick by her beliefs. when she makes the decision to kill him, the conflict loses whatever tension it had because not only is she super strong, but she can't be influenced by his powers either. there's nothing interesting going on in the final episode as a result.

and there are a lot of other things - killing the black cop who was 2 years from retirement (seriously?), will simpson being a charisma vampire, and other supporting characters being annoying, boring, or useless to the rest of the story.

i really wanted to like it, but at the end, i just want a do-over.

On the subject of Killgrave;

He's not a smaller villain in any way. His power is insane. Imagine if he actually bothered walking over to Avengers tower. Instead he's affixed on Jessica, which makes it all the creepier.

I guess that's what happens when you make grand sweeping statements about a series you've not even finished mind.

On the subject of Killgrave;

He's not a smaller villain in any way. His power is insane. Imagine if he actually bothered walking over to Avengers tower. Instead he's affixed on Jessica, which makes it all the creepier.
Exactly.

The only thing smaller in this show is the scope, which is awesome because the MCU needs less world/city ending stuff. This show is just about a super powered person trying to get by in a traumatizwd world full of superheroes and stopping a guy from killing anyone he wants.

It's a smaller story in the middle of a much bigger one, which is totally fine. It's like an expanded universe in Star Wars type thing.

im still stuck at just after watching episode 8 but i think kilgrave is a fine villain, albeit one that was a little underused for this

idk though. i mean ... i still have a few more episodes to go through but the motivations they gave kilgrave is so... tiny. his entire reason was the jealous and creepy ex-bf angle. only he's got mind control powers. i mean, for a premise it was interesting and somewhat disturbing (in the earlier episodes) but the way the show scripted his arc was a little lacklustre. like is that all there is to kilgrave? he hasn't gotten anything else outside of his jessica obsession? kingpin had ambition, and cohorts and he even had a life outside and away from matt murdock. his arc with vanessa was not touched by anything matt murdocky.

tennant is one hell of an actor though and he is selling it to me, this sort of ... meh plot that they gave him to work with, he's really selling it to me. wonderful performance from him so far. i think tennant > d'onofrio, for sure, but it's unfortunate what they gave him to work with. imo.

i want to say i have high hopes for the rest of the reason but i think JJ basically underdelivered for me (so far). regardless, i just want to say that tennant is terrific.

im still stuck at just after watching episode 8 but i think kilgrave is a fine villain, albeit one that was a little underused for this

idk though. i mean ... i still have a few more episodes to go through but the motivations they gave kilgrave is so... tiny. his entire reason was the jealous and creepy ex-bf angle. only he's got mind control powers. i mean, for a premise it was interesting and somewhat disturbing (in the earlier episodes) but the way the show scripted his arc was a little lacklustre. like is that there is to kilgrave? he hasn't gotten anything else outside of his jessica obsession? kingpin had ambition, and cohorts and he even had a life outside and away from matt murdock. his arc with vanessa was not touched by anything matt murdocky.

tennant is one hell of an actor though and he is selling it to me, this sort of ... meh plot that they gave him to work with, he's really selling it to me. wonderful performance from him so far. i think tennant > d'onofrio, for sure, but it's unfortunate what they gave him to work with. imo.

i want to say i have high hopes for the rest of the reason but i think JJ basically underdelivered for me (so far). regardless, i just want to say that tennant is terrific.
On Kilgrave:
You learn more about his origin and motivations as you go along. It's not all about Jessica so don't worry

spidye

I'm still on episode 11 but up until now this show should be called dumb characters making dumb decisions. at least the second half of the show has been much better and more intense than the first.

but in the end way inferior to daredevil

let's see how this last 2 episode hold up

barit

Had to stop after 30min of the first episode. Shit begins with sex, has sex in the middle and probably ends with more sex. No thanks, not what I want from my Marvel movies/series.

Top Bottom