• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

I think it's an absolutely fair criticism that I ask myself in almost every movie. Wish they'd do a better job at explaining why because it's always immersion breaking.

The most egregious example is Thor: The Dark World. The universe was ending!! I think Thor could have used an extra pair of hands!
The universe was ending for all of 10 minutes.
Yeah, the solo movies have actually done a really great job of having plots where it makes sense that other characters don't show up. They're surprisingly subtle about it too which is why people still bring up the criticism, but the reasons hold up when you examine the details that people tend to tune out or forget.

jessicajones.jpg

AMUSIX

is jessica jones supposed to be such a boring piece of shit? if so cool, but man what a drag the promos already are.

If I'm understanding what you're asking, then, yes, she is.

That is, she's broken. She's a psychologically busted girl with powers who tried to get away from everything, just wants nothing from life, is doing the PI thing to make enough money, at some point crawled into a bottle, and that's her life now. So, yeah, I'd say she should exude that disconnected malaise, which is what you might call being a boring piece of shit.

just her character specifically, the rest i dig. maybe the trailers just ain't doing it for me.

I had the same concern you did but I realized that they weren't going to focus on showing off her character in these trailers, so that's why she isn't convincing, they focused much more on Jessica vs Luke and Jessica vs Kilgrave because those are the characters fans want to see. It's 13 50-minute(?) long episodes, she'll have plenty of time to build her character.

Tesseract

Banned
If I'm understanding what you're asking, then, yes, she is.

That is, she's broken. She's a psychologically busted girl with powers who tried to get away from everything, just wants nothing from life, is doing the PI thing to make enough money, at some point crawled into a bottle, and that's her life now. So, yeah, I'd say she should exude that disconnected malaise, which is what you might call being a boring piece of shit.

I had the same concern you did but I realized that they weren't going to focus on showing off her character in these trailers, so that's why she isn't convincing, they focused much more on Jessica vs Luke and Jessica vs Kilgrave because those are the characters fans want to see. It's 13 50-minute(?) long episodes, she'll have plenty of time to build her character.

cool, thanks guys. totally stoked.

Pachimari

I'm sold on Kilgrave as well but it is everything else I'm a little worried about. I weren't entertained by any of the trailers released so far, and to be honest it have looked a bit boring but I like the dark tone.

I still can't wait for Friday and hopefully it turns out to be a great show.

Faiz

Show releases on the 20th. Leave town for ten days on the 25th.

I may just wait till we get back to marathon instead of splitting it up :/.

What's Jessica up to in the Marvel Universe these days? Her last solo book with The Pulse, right?

Same thing she's been doing for the past decade: being a supporting character in whatever books Luke Cage is in, which in this case is the upcoming Power Man and Iron Fist series.

I'm sold on Kilgrave as well but it is everything else I'm a little worried about. I weren't entertained by any of the trailers released so far, and to be honest it have looked a bit boring but I like the dark tone.

I still can't wait for Friday and hopefully it turns out to be a great show.

So you are basing a 13 hour series with 4 minutes of total footage?

alrighty then

It was? I am actually shocked about that.

It Does but 13 is kind of bad for every Original Production they have
Every single Netflix show i watch has the problem of those 13 episodes

House of Cards- Drags on
OItNB- Drag
DareDevil- 1-3 episodes could've been cut.

I Like the HBO way personally of 8-10 episodes.

LakeEarth

Master Of None was 10 episodes, so maybe they've learned to order as many episodes as necessary for the story they want to tell.

MC_Hify

Same thing she's been doing for the past decade: being a supporting character in whatever books Luke Cage is in, which in this case is the upcoming Power Man and Iron Fist series.

I read a lot of New Avengers, I just wish she could have a solo series again.

Jonm1010

Banned
It Does but 13 is kind of bad for every Original Production they have
Every single Netflix show i watch has the problem of those 13 episodes

House of Cards- Drags on
OItNB- Drag
DareDevil- 1-3 episodes could've been cut.

I Like the HBO way personally of 8-10 episodes.

I'm really just for whatever best suits the particular story. For instance Narcos was 10 episodes and it really should of been either 6-8 and drew out the beginning of the season more and took the last few episodes and expanded them into an entire other season.

That or make the season 13-14 episodes and not rushed so much in the beginning.

Considering it's Netflix, I don't know why they seem to be putting out bloated shows like you mention so often.

Goodstyle

Watched the David Tenant interview, skipped as much as the Kilgrave stuff as possible, but what he said about his character seemed very interesting. How can you truly develop as a person if people will always do what you say? With a power like that, it's almost like he was destined to be evil. Adds depth to his character if you ask me.

TheOddOne

- Joblo: Tv Review: Marvel's Jessica Jones - Season 1 Episode 1 "Aka Ladies Night" *Spoilers*
Viewers are going to be very divided by Jessica Jones. Existing MCU fans looking for something similar to the big screen offerings featuring The Avengers are going to find something the polar opposite of those movies. Fans of Daredevil may also find themselves watching something unlike that series. But, Jessica Jones is here to tell the world that Marvel has delivered their first project led by a female superhero and she kicks serious ass. This is a superhero series for people who don't like superheroes. It is dark, gritty, and all sorts of great television. I cannot wait to see more.

Slaythe

I thought the trailers were clichés and cringe worthy. Hated them.

BUT... I like Tennant, and I love the visuals and atmosphere of the show.

I am excited for it despite those terrible trailers. First time it happens.

So I'm in ! I know nothing of the comics.

I hope it be a disappointment like super girl.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I always find it funny when reviewers of a thing shit on the people who made the thing popular in the first place. Alias, and by extension, Jessica Jones, isn't for people who don't like superheroes. Comic fans helped make this show happen and they did so based on a comic book that was very much about superheroes. Alias isn't Maus or Bone.

I am also wary that the infatuation over this is going to fall to the wayside in favor of "why is Marvel's first solo woman superhero a damaged person who sort of sucks at her job?" Alias is a fantastic series and Ritter may be the best possible casting for it. I want to see what they can do with a season 2 once they diverge from the source material entirely. I really, really want it to do well.

Top Bottom