• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Carcetti

And Batman is a rich guy playing dress-up. Rorschach is a homeless guy with a funny mask.

Carter is written as a non superhero person in a superhero world, Batman is a gadget hero written as a superhero, and Rorschach is a deconstruction of an antihero written by a total nutjob. I'm not sure what you're aiming at here.

Quick

Banned
Four days guys.

JUST

DAYS

our-first-look-at-david-tennant-as-the-purple-man-in-the-upcoming-a-k-a-jessica-jones-s-352575.gif

Kevinroc

Still need to finish Master of None (just a few more episodes left) before this series premieres. Very excited to see Marvel doing something different.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forward to this. Going into this blind, since I haven't seen many trailers and don't know anything about Jessica Jones as far as comics go. But I really liked Daredevil and I like David Tennant. Subbed.

Watched the David Tenant interview, skipped as much as the Kilgrave stuff as possible, but what he said about his character seemed very interesting. How can you truly develop as a person if people will always do what you say? With a power like that, it's almost like he was destined to be evil. Adds depth to his character if you ask me.

I agree. I doubt anyone in his place could be different.

God damn-that first scene with Purple Man is unnerving as fuck.

Disturbing as hell. As someone already said, he could be Marvel's Joker.

Xion385

Man, that first clip reminded of David Fincher's Dragon Tattoo movie. Imagine if he directed Jessica Jones that style.

Cloyster

Banned
You guys think my friend might like this? She hasn't seen anything Marvel and doesn't like superheroes, but she likes dark, noir type dramas, and the trailer interested her.

oh shit, that's The Hand

does that mean...

I doubt they're trying to hint at something there, The Hand grunts are a pretty common enemy type in Future Fight.
You guys think my friend might like this? She hasn't seen anything Marvel and doesn't like superheroes, but she likes dark, noir type dramas, and the trailer interested her.

She should definitely try it out, she might not be into it if unrealistic stuff(like mild superstrength and mind control) put her off.

Probably. A lot of reviews are calling the show a dark noir thriller, but with superpowers

And a lot of reviews also say it's not really a "superhero" show
For all of its ambition, spectacular cinematography, parallel storytelling, and incredible fight choreography, Marvel's Daredevil Netflix series was a superhero show. It was still a masked do-gooder in a costume taking down gangsters for the good of his neighborhood, and peppered with loving references to Marvel Comics history. I loved Daredevil, mind you, but it wasn't terribly likely to convince anyone who might be tiring of the increasingly prevalent “masked guy fighting crime” genre.

By contrast, Jessica Jones ditches virtually every superhero trope in favor of emotional high stakes, hard-boiled detective voiceovers, and a heart pounding, edge-of-your-seat style that we haven’t seen from any comic book adaptation.

Famassu

I haven't seen much talk about the notion that both this and Agent Carter have a mind controlling main villain. Just thought that was kind of... I dunno, interesting (?) that they'd kind of "repeat" such a similar super power for a villain within a year (and they are both in female led Marvel TV shows), though how they are handling it all seems to differ quite a lot.

kirblar

I haven't seen much talk about the notion that both this and Agent Carter have a mind controlling main villain. Just thought that was kind of... I dunno, interesting (?) that they'd kind of "repeat" such a similar super power for a villain within a year (and they are both in female led Marvel TV shows), though how they are handling it all seems to differ quite a lot.
They are very, very different sorts of characters.

Famassu

They are very, very different sorts of characters.
Sure, even though I don't really know Purple Man, I get from the trailers that he's a totally & utterly sick and twisted fuck whereas the guy in Agent Carter seemed more like a revenge driven originally-normal-person-gone-a-bit-mad-in-search-of-said-revenge, and JJ seems to focus on the trauma of having one's mind controlled to do shit. But still... I find it kinda interesting/funny/whatever that they would have two mind controlling villains in a year. Or three, kind of, if we count movies. I know they are wholly different kinds of characters, but wasn't anyone at Marvel ever, like, "okay, so we have that dude in Agent Carter, Scarlet Witch in Age of Ultron and now Purple Man in Jessica Jones... is that going a bit overboard with the mind control fuckery in 2015?"

TheOddOne

- EW: Marvel’s Jessica Jones Review.
Netflix’s latest is the second of four Marvel series to debut on the streaming site—including Daredevil and the forthcoming Luke Cage and Iron Fist—in addition to a crossover miniseries The Defenders. If that sentence alone made you feel the Heart of the Universe pound in your chest, then stop reading now, because you’ll love Marvel’s Jessica Jones no matter how flawed it is. And, to be fair, it’s relatively good for a Marvel TV show.
All of this could’ve made for a gritty character drama if it weren’t for the noir clichés (saxophone music, shadows through glass) and a procedural structure that’s very CSI: Marvel. The show’s biggest weakness is the same as Jessica’s: It starts out with extraordinary potential, but somewhere along the way, it loses what make it special.

B+

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Oooooooooooof.

In the journalism industry, those are called "velvet daggers." The writer either A) didn't want to piss off a rabid fanbase, or B) had to write around some sort of dictate to keep it positive. That writer hated the show. Read the other bits of subtle snark like pointing out the show's writer also penned Twilight (and not her other, critically acclaimed works) and front loading with how flawed it is with the faint praise only going toward the set design and Ritter. No mention of the plot or story being good, nothing on Tennant or Colton's turns, not much positive besides it looks good and Ritter plays her role.

But it's EW. I'm not overly concerned about their opinion on what makes good television.

-griffy-

Banned
Hitfix's Alan Sepinwall gives the show an A-, says it's excellent:

Power fantasies are fun, but even a seemingly limited genre like superheroism has room to tell other kinds of stories. "Jessica Jones" is unlike anything Marvel or DC has tried in the live-action realm, and it's excellent. Hopefully, it leads to even more risk-taking with the kinds of characters and stories that get taken from page to screen.

TheOddOne

- Sepinwall: Netflix's 'Jessica Jones' is Marvel's darkest — and best — series so far.
Not "Jessica Jones," though. Her story isn't a power fantasy, but a nightmare. It's a superhero saga as rape survivor tale, where it doesn't matter how strong you are — or even that you can fly like Superman himself — because there will always be someone who can find a way to hurt you and make you feel like less than nothing.
But Ritter and Tennant are both outstanding, and Colter owns the role of Cage from the moment he appears. The fight scenes aren't on par with "Daredevil," but nor are they trying to be: the big hits on "Jessica Jones" come less when we're seeing her or Cage flexing their muscles than when we're seeing the emotional toll that men like Kilgrave have taken on them and their loved ones.
Power fantasies are fun, but even a seemingly limited genre like superheroism has room to tell other kinds of stories. "Jessica Jones" is unlike anything Marvel or DC has tried in the live-action realm, and it's excellent. Hopefully, it leads to even more risk-taking with the kinds of characters and stories that get taken from page to screen.
Edit: Beaten.

Hmm. The reviewers only saw 7/13 eps, though, right? Kinda misleading to say something goes downhill in general if you only saw half.

Especially considering where the 7th episode ends I can't imagine how they could extrapolate that the rest of the season doesn't pay off in some way. It's like reviewing 2 acts of a play before seeing the 3rd.

edit: I'm not really sure why people are running real reviews in general just based off of 7 episodes if that's the case.

- Maureen Ryan's Variety review is up, too:
Two mainstays of film noir are the tough-talking dame and the cynical private eye, and one of the pleasures of “Marvel’s Jessica Jones” is that it unites both types in one thorny and fascinating character. The show, which features an exceptional performance from Krysten Ritter and sure-handed guidance from executive producer Melissa Rosenberg, is not just a contender for the title Best Marvel-related TV Property; in a supremely crowded TV scene, it is one of the year’s most distinctive new dramas.

-griffy-

Banned
Especially considering where the 7th episode ends I can't imagine how they could extrapolate that the rest of the season doesn't pay off in some way. It's like reviewing 2 acts of a play before seeing the 3rd.

edit: I'm not really sure why people are running real reviews in general just based off of 7 episodes if that's the case.

This is just how TV reviews work these days. Critics rarely if ever get access to entire seasons before they air. If they get the first several episodes, they put out a review of the series/season overall based on that. Then they run reviews/recaps of every episode as they air (or in the case of streaming shows that gets a bit more complicated and experimental). In most cases it just isn't realistic to wait for an entire season before running a review, especially with how so many shows have weird schedules, 22-24 episodes, take mid-season breaks, etc.

I mean, I can sort of see the argument that critics should wait to review the season as a whole rather than the advance screener... but no one would argue that for any series that airs weekly, no matter how heavily serialized. I don't really have a problem with the screener model.

kirblar

Being stuck w/ 13 episode seasons, I'm not surprised that there might be pacing problems. (On Showtime, Penny Dreadful is somehow managing to get seasons of varying length to avoid stretching things, only show I've seen do it.)

Being stuck w/ 13 episode seasons, I'm not surprised that there might be pacing problems. (On Showtime, Penny Dreadful is somehow managing to get seasons of varying length to avoid stretching things, only show I've seen do it.)

I wouldn't have minded seeing a more episodic, case-of-the-week format with Kilgrave as the overarching threat, but oh well.

Top Bottom