• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Watched a few more episodes today. Up to ep5 or 6.

I am enjoying it. It misses a few of the things its going for but nothing is really annoying me. And I appreciate they are went more mature even if its a bit on the nose with its grim dark at times.

And Jessica as a character is a bit shit in the show. Not really feeling her but its not really annoying me that much.

Show is solid. Not amazing but its decent and unique.

Halfway through Episode 10

We're going to introduce your favorite Daredevil villain! Are you excited? Did I mention he'll be played by literally the least talented actor in recorded human history? Wait! Where are you going?

This show is really starting drag, bro.

Once again-

Headphones will work exactly for as long as it takes for someone to knock them off of you, or cut the wire. Luke cage is bulletproof but Beats By Dre aren't. It would take 15 seconds for Kilgrave or his team to take a bat or a bullet to a pair of headphones and destroy them- and then you've just handed Kilgrave an indestructible bodyguard. genius plan.

Keep in mind also that Luke didn't trust JJ for most of the show (especially after the wife reveal), and even when he was fond of her thought she was totally full of shit when she told him about Kilgrave's abilities. Again, people not taking him seriously was a big part of the problem. Even towards the end of the show Luke just rolled up to Kilgrave assuming he could just punch him and wouldn't be dominated. "mind control" wasn't a real thing to him, and it wasn't real to the NYPD either despite a rash of crazy murders and suicides directly attributed to kilgrave by dozens of people including active cops.

Trish was only able to use headphones as long as she did because Kilgrave didn't care. "Oh, it's patsy. ignore her, kill the other one".

Headphones also don't prevent any civilians in the area from killing themselves as a defensive mechanism, and kilgrave leaned on this one all the time. Remember the cook and maid in the house that moved to slash their throats with razors as soon as they heard a glass break? Or the survivor's group standing on the bar ready to hang themselves? Headphones won't stop that.

And that's assuming you can find kilgrave in the first place, which was the primary problem for half the show. no one remembers seeing him, he erases tapes and footage, bans people from talking about him or just has them kill themselves.

right, but as i said
if you take kilgrave by surprise like they did when they used the dart gun, he wouldn't have time to make others defend him/kill themselves. if he's dead/knocked out, who cares if the headphones get destroyed? he's easy to take out at that point. i just said luke as the first thing that came to mind, they could've really used anyone they wanted that kilgrave didn't recognize. plus if they're wearing ear plugs it's not like those are easy to knock off or anything. trying to act like headphones or ear plugs wouldn't have helped is just making excuses for the bad writing.

right, but as i said
if you take kilgrave by surprise like they did when they used the dart gun, he wouldn't have time to make others defend him/kill themselves. if he's dead/knocked out, who cares if the headphones get destroyed? he's easy to take out at that point. i just said luke as the first thing that came to mind, they could've really used anyone they wanted that kilgrave didn't recognize. plus if they're wearing ear plugs it's not like those are easy to knock off or anything. trying to act like headphones or ear plugs wouldn't have helped is just making excuses for the bad writing.

Kilgrave had a team of armed guards paid to keep him safe, even if he was KOed by mystery drugs which would have broken his control over civilians in the area. keep in mind the "dart plan" failed, because several carloads of armed thugs came after him to rescue him.

If you aren't using Luke Cage, then anyone else would be shot to death or beaten senseless by Kilgrave's personal security. Yes, even Jessica coudn't do much when six dudes with cattle prods laid into her. "headphones" and "earplugs" simply don't work here.

Shooting him was off the table, since not killing him was entirely the point. Sure, you can use a sniper rifle to take him out (assuming you know where he is), but then Hope rots in prison for the rest of her life, and the point of all of this (up until episode 10) was to find a way to get kilgrave to confess, or display his abilities on tape to exonerate her.

Earplugs or Headphones are simply lazy spitballing. The show was written in such a way that implying its a viable tactic would be nonsensical. It barely made sense in the context the show used it.

Jarmel

Banned
Kilgrave had a team of armed guards paid to keep him safe. keep in mind the "dart plan" failed, because several carloads of armed thugs came after him to rescue him.

If you aren't using Luke Cage, then anyone else would be shot to death or beaten senseless by Kilgrave's personal security. Yes, even Jessica coudn't do much when six dudes with cattle prods laid into her. "headphones" and "earplugs" simply don't work here.

Shooting him was off the table, since not killing him was entirely the point. Sure, you can use a sniper rifle to take him out (assuming you know where he is), but then Hope rots in prison for the rest of her life, and the point of all of this (up until episode 10) was to find a way to get kilgrave to confess, or display his abilities on tape to exonerate him.

Earplugs or Headphones are simply lazy spitballing. The show was written in such a way that implying its a viable tactic would be nonsensical. It barely made sense in the context the show used it.

There are no ways to Ep 8
prevent Kilgrave from enacting a contingency. Which in that case means just grabbing him and forcing him to confess. The drug thing actually being ineffective makes half the show a wash.

And Jessica's powers are so absurdly inconsistent in the show. They're at the level whichever is convenient for the plot.

Kilgrave had a team of armed guards paid to keep him safe. keep in mind the "dart plan" failed, because several carloads of armed thugs came after him to rescue him.

Shooting him was off the table, since not killing him was entirely the point. Sure, you can use a sniper rifle to take him out (assuming you know where he is), but then Hope rots in prison for the rest of her life, and the point of all of this (up until episode 10) was to find a way to get kilgrave to confess, or display his abilities on tape to exonerate him.

but the problem with it is that
early on in the season, they spend a lot of time focusing on how jessica needs to find kilgrave's weakness and use that to take him out--she ends up using the drug as a result, but if it's as simple as using headphones that's an even bigger weakness that they can easily use. you could just as easily make it that you have to draw him into an area where there's no civilians (like by using his dad or jessica as bait) and then throw down while wearing ear plugs. and killing off hope just makes the whole thing of trying to keep him alive to save her earlier on seem kind of a waste of time--what's the point, either she rots in prison or she goes out to a life where everybody thinks she's a murderer, she doesn't get to see her brother, and it's so bad that she ends up killing herself anyways in order to get jessica to do what she always needed to do. everything about this show's conflict was just a giant mess because of how stretched out it was and how thin the character motivations were.

There are no ways to Ep 8
prevent Kilgrave from enacting a contingency. Which in that case means just grabbing him and forcing him to confess. The drug thing actually being ineffective makes half the show a wash.

And Jessica's powers are so absurdly inconsistent in the show. They're at the level whichever is convenient for the plot.

Didn't really have a problem with her powers. She's spiderman level in terms of strength and durability. not so strong that she'd casually kill people with a punch, but could if she put some effort into it.

More durable than your average person, but not invulnerable either. Even
getting knocked out by Robyn
isn't that much of a stretch, since a chair to the head would still give her a concussion even if it wasn't enough to break her skull or cause serious injury. This shit happens to Parker all the time.

early on in the season, they spend a lot of time focusing on how jessica needs to find kilgrave's weakness and use that to take him out--she ends up using the drug as a result,
the point of the drug was that jessica was aware that sleeping or being unconcious wouldn't break kilgrave's hold on people. She could still be swarmed by mind controlled bystanders or trigger suicide traps. An anesthetic drug that disabled the nervous system in a certain way WOULD though. She didn't anticipate that Kilgrave would have paid security, which is why the dart plan didn't work out.

but if it's as simple as using headphones that's an even bigger weakness

It's not as simple as using headphones? I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it. Headphones not only break easily, you can't hear what's going on around you- like mind controlled cops with guns drawn. Even "ear plugs" aren't great since they tend to dull sound, not block it out entirely- even really expensive ones. And wearing them in a fight? Lose one and its game over. It's a bad strategy.

that they can easily use. you could just as easily make it that you have to draw him into an area where there's no civilians (like by using his dad or jessica as bait)

they didn't even know he HAD a dad until episode 9 or 10. come on now. and Kilgrave was notorious for not doing anything himself but using surrogates.

everything about this show's conflict was just a giant mess because of how stretched out it was and how thin the character motivations were.

can't say I agree, sorry. Daredevil was a better show, but this is still 8 or 9/10 for me.

Jarmel

Banned
Didn't really have a problem with her powers. She's spiderman level in terms of strength and durability. not so strong that she'd casually kill people with a punch, but could if she put some effort into it.

isn't that much of a stretch, since a chair to the head would still give her a concussion even if it wasn't enough to break her skull or cause serious injury. This shit happens to Parker all the time.

Ep 10
The Robyn thing was so bad in that she couldn't handle three people bum rushing her despite the bar fight earlier in the series? Really?

Garlador

early on in the season, they spend a lot of time focusing on how jessica needs to find kilgrave's weakness and use that to take him out--she ends up using the drug as a result, but if it's as simple as using headphones that's an even bigger weakness that they can easily use. you could just as easily make it that you have to draw him into an area where there's no civilians (like by using his dad or jessica as bait) and then throw down while wearing ear plugs. and killing off hope just makes the whole thing of trying to keep him alive to save her earlier on seem kind of a waste of time--what's the point, either she rots in prison or she goes out to a life where everybody thinks she's a murderer, she doesn't get to see her brother, and it's so bad that she ends up killing herself anyways in order to get jessica to do what she always needed to do. everything about this show's conflict was just a giant mess because of how stretched out it was and how thin the character motivations were.

Going to have to agree with all of this...
It's problematic when the MAJORITY of the subplots are a wash. You don't bring up Chekov's gun and then never use it.

Only starting episode 3 right now

But when Luke says "I'm unbreakable"

Please tell me I'm not the only one who started singing

UN BREAKABLE

THEY ALIVE DAMMIT

IT'S A MIRACLE

IcyStorm

Why do people want Murdock to show up in this show? Jessica Jones has such an emphasis on the struggle with male power and control and Jones dealing with her PTSD from sexual, emotional, and mental abuse at the hands of Kilgrave. What could Matt have done in the show at all? Jessica had to deal with this on her own. Obviously she had help throughout the show, but everything came down to her. I'm glad that Cage was incapacitated in the end and that Matt never appeared in the show.

Like it would have been cool as like, an MCU/comic book sort of thing if Daredevil appeared and teamed up with her, but this show was never going to be that.

Eidan

Ep 10
The Robyn thing was so bad in that she couldn't handle three people bum rushing her despite the bar fight earlier in the series? Really?
Yeah, I literally just saw this scene. It's laughable. Outside of breaking locks like nobody's business, I feel like the show really made her look weak.

Won

5 episodes in and not too hot on this. The premise and themes are interesting, but the execution just feels boring and stretched out. There is something missing here, though I am not sure I can put my finger on it.

I enjoyed JJ more than DD. DD had too many snoozer episodes that I had to force myself through hoping for a payoff. I enjoyed every episode of Jessica Jones.

also, the people dismissing Hogarth's motivation for releasing Kilgrave have obviously never gone through a rough divorce. She was already a morally ambiguous character who would do just about anything to win, then add in the divorce, her wife's demands, and the fear of losing her partnership at a major law firm; people do horrible things in these situations in real life all the time. She just happened to have access to someone who could actually make everything go away.

Jarmel

Banned
I enjoyed JJ more than DD. DD had too many snoozer episodes that I had to force myself through hoping for a payoff. I enjoyed every episode of Jessica Jones.

also, the people dismissing Hogarth's motivation for releasing Kilgrave have obviously never gone through a rough divorce. She was already a morally ambiguous character who would do just about anything to win, then add in the divorce, her wife's demands, and the fear of losing her partnership at a major law firm; people do horrible things in these situations in real life all the time. She just happened to have access to someone who could actually make everything go away.

Oh it's perfectly understandable. It's just the whole situation was contrived for very clear plot purposes and when the subplot has served its purpose, they toss it aside. It's laughable in how obvious the writers were with that.

Ep 10

the bar fight was random thugs looking to beat down Cage. These are people from a survivor's group she put together, and the sister of a guy that she got killed. You can see how she might be caught off guard by the latter group trying to bum rush her, or at least hesitate a bit to beat their faces in.

I hope you were.

anigif_enhanced-29047-1425729600-10.gif

Everybody cool did it.

Jarmel

Banned
the bar fight was random thugs looking to beat down Cage. These are people from a survivor's group she put together, and the sister of a guy that she got killed. You can see how she might be caught off guard by the latter group trying to bum rush her, or at least hesitate a bit to beat their faces in.

Ep 10
When you have three people rushing you when you have a crazy sociopath tied up in the room next to you, I would imagine your priority is making sure that nobody gets up, even if you have to break a few bones. Especially when that man can control minds.
You can blame it on bad choreography but the scene was a mess and only further highlights how inconsistent the show treats powers.

I'm on episode 5. So far I think Killgrave is the most interesting villain in any comic book show/movie that I've ever seen

As a comic fan I was pretty excited to see him used, there's a lot of potential there. HUGE SPOILER
Comic Kilgrave has a slow but powerful healing factor, and would eventually heal from a broken neck. He could potentially come back from being killed in episode 13

Tennant did a great job, though a friend complained that his accent was a bit over the top. I'm not english, so can't comment there.

the point of the drug was that jessica was aware that sleeping or being unconcious wouldn't break kilgrave's hold on people. She could still be swarmed by mind controlled bystanders or trigger suicide traps. An anesthetic drug that disabled the nervous system in a certain way WOULD though. She didn't anticipate that Kilgrave would have paid security, which is why the dart plan didn't work out.

It's not as simple as using headphones? I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it. Headphones not only break easily, you can't hear what's going on around you- like mind controlled cops with guns drawn. Even "ear plugs" aren't great since they tend to dull sound, not block it out entirely- even really expensive ones. And wearing them in a fight? Lose one and its game over. It's a bad strategy.

they didn't even know he HAD a dad until episode 9 or 10. come on now. and Kilgrave was notorious for not doing anything himself but using surrogates.

can't say I agree, sorry. Daredevil was a better show, but this is still 8 or 9/10 for me.

you can argue that headphones are better than ear plugs, sure, but as i've said like 90x before, just saying "oh headphones will get destroyed in a fight" is just making excuses for the bad writing, because if you get the jump on him or get someone he doesn't know is a threat to him to attack him, you can take him out--he'll try to get you to stop and before he realizes he has no hold on you you've got him. and later on, they even brought up using his dad as bait, and trish shot that idea down saying "we'll make a vaccine instead." like, just using what's in the show as a framework as what would happen no matter what is constraining yourself--if they used headphones earlier on, it's just as easy to see that a lot of what did happen possibly wouldn't have. when the shock chamber didn't work, instead of telling everybody to run, they could've told everybody to put on headphones as jessica ran in to stop kilgrave, and then he would've been taken out. there's just so much wrong with creating a huge defense against the main villian's whole schtick and then saying "oh well it wouldn't work because reasons."

like, i agree that daredevil is a better show, but callling this an 8/10 is like calling orphan black an 8/10. it's an enjoyable show, sure, but it has huge writing and plot issues that prevent it from being as good as it could've been.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Halfway through Episode 10

We're going to introduce your favorite Daredevil villain! Are you excited? Did I mention he'll be played by literally the least talented actor in recorded human history? Wait! Where are you going?

This show is really starting drag, bro.
You are evil.
And man, I am angry that they dont went the Captain America of Vietnam/Afgahnistan or Irak route for him. Also I would have saved him for a Cap movie...

Only starting episode 3 right now

But when Luke says "I'm unbreakable"

Please tell me I'm not the only one who started singing

UN BREAKABLE

THEY ALIVE DAMMIT

IT'S A MIRACLE

I wasn't singing it but it was the first thing I thought of, they should repurpose it as the theme for the luke cage intro

I'm at episode 7 but 8 or 9/10 is really selling this high tbh, it's fun but like a 7/10

It gets kinda schlocky at times and episode 4 was legit basura

Eidan

So is there a reason why the Avengers continue to just be referred to in vague terms like "the big green guy" and "the flag-waver"? It's kind of getting weird at this point.

For half the show they couldn't even find him because he was so good at using surrogates to cover his tracks, then having said surrogates suicide so they weren't in a position to talk.

Not to mention that a big part of the problem was that his powers are so "out there" that people underestimate what he can do, or dismiss it as a fraud- up until the point where kilgrave tells them to shoot their own heads off. Even Jeri didn't believe how terrible he was despite being told over and over again until he literally had his mother stab herself to death in front of everyone.

Wow - the rape analogies are deeper in this show than I was thinking.

It's dumb when it happens to Parker, especially since he has Spider Sense. Also, I'd put her far below Spidey level. Even just considering movie Spider-Man.

you can argue that headphones are better than ear plugs, sure, but as i've said like 90x before, just saying "oh headphones will get destroyed in a fight" is just making excuses for the bad writing, because if you get the jump on him or get someone he doesn't know is a threat to him to attack him, you can take him out--he'll try to get you to stop and before he realizes he has no hold on you you've got him. and later on, they even brought up using his dad as bait, and trish shot that idea down saying "we'll make a vaccine instead." like, just using what's in the show as a framework as what would happen no matter what is constraining yourself--if they used headphones earlier on, it's just as easy to see that a lot of what did happen possibly wouldn't have. when the shock chamber didn't work, instead of telling everybody to run, they could've told everybody to put on headphones as jessica ran in to stop kilgrave, and then he would've been taken out. there's just so much wrong with creating a huge defense against the main villian's whole schtick and then saying "oh well it wouldn't work because reasons."

like, i agree that daredevil is a better show, but callling this an 8/10 is like calling orphan black an 8/10. it's an enjoyable show, sure, but it has huge writing and plot issues that prevent it from being as good as it could've been.

fix the spoilers in my quoted section, please.

So is there a reason why the Avengers continue to just be referred to in vague terms like "the big green guy" and "the flag-waver"? It's kind of getting weird at this point.

I think the showrunners want to keep it out of the audiences mind as much as they can. Plus I don't think hulk has an official name.

Dali

I'm 4 episodes into this and really liking it. Netflix continues to produce some great stuff!
Haven't finished yet but i feel like they dropped the ball as far as production values go. Used to hold them in the same esteem with their originals as HBO or Showtime. They kinda took a huge step back with this.

Top Bottom