• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

PsychBat!

Banned
I don't mind the lack of references to the Avengers or of anything else that currently exists in their world in JJ. I actually didn't like the subplot in Episode 4 because I felt that it was forced in and didn't really affect the main plot at all.

I wouldn't have minded a reference or two in JJ but I don't think it would've been necessary anyways.

As for AoS, that shit is dialed up to 11. I fucking hated the Pym namedrop in the Season 3 premiere.

Jarmel

Banned
She has broken ribs, one of which may or may not be lacerating her liver. She has powers, but damn, she's not Superman.I don't think she's even Captain America level in the show, it makes sense that she's not as capable after being hit by a truck.

That's episode 11.

This is like my third post in the last hour about her but damn please don't get Carrie Ann Moss back. Such an unlikable character.

Hell, Daredevil managed to make most if not all of it's supporting cast incredibly endearing. Even Westley.

I was sort of on the fence on this, but as someone who basically enjoyed Daredevil only for the good fight scenes (i'm not into Marvel/DC stuff, but i like martial arts movies) i should probably avoid this.
I thought the writing in Daredevil was pretty lame overall, if this is on the same level but with less interesting fight scenes, maybe it's not for me.

the writing is worse in this than daredevil tbh, but jessica jones is a very infectious character. it's worth a binge watch.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This is like my third post in the last hour about her but damn please don't get Carrie Ann Moss back. Such an unlikable character.

Hell, Daredevil managed to make most if not all of it's supporting cast incredibly endearing. Even Westley.

Then the actress is playing the part right.

Yeah it was hugely disappointing, When Hogarth's miserable face came through the door I wished Jess would punch her.
giphy.gif

Regarding Kilgrave:
did people miss the whole thing that it's not just auditory, but a biological disease emitted by his body too? Headphones alone wouldn't work

Yeah but as I've said it's not like villains can't be fun to watch. Killgrave is a perfect example. He's repulsive, but you have to watch him. Hogarth's just whiny and spends all of her screen time bitching at Jess for... something.

The whole time. The whole 13 episodes. Whining at Jess. For SOMETHING.
"You broke a window"

"You're not picking up my call"

"You're not solving my shit fast enough"

"You're solving my shit too violently"

"Lol there's no way there's a mind controller chasing you"

"Eugh this mind controller is a drag, GET HIM"

LOL BETRAYAL

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm actually okay with the fight choreography as-is, it makes sense for someone with super strength to just throw people around. From my perspective, Daredevil and Jessica are going to fight completely differently - Jessica doesn't need to do cool ninja stunts, she just beats them up. Jessica's STR-based, Daredevil is DEX-based.
Yep. And it would make no sense if Jessica was doing backflips and crazy stunts in the show considering the history of the character that's presented. I guess it's not satisfying to people expecting action, but it was a conscious decision. Trish,
who has fighting training, has a different type of action scene with Simpson.

I was sort of on the fence on this, but as someone who basically enjoyed Daredevil only for the good fight scenes (i'm not into Marvel/DC stuff, but i like martial arts movies) i should probably avoid this.
I thought the writing in Daredevil was pretty lame overall, if this is on the same level but with less interesting fight scenes, maybe it's not for me.
Definitely avoid if you're expecting fighting scenes on the level of Daredevil, or even on the level of the MCU in general. There's still a chance you might enjoy the show since it's a different beast to the other MCU productions, but it requires going in with a different mindset.

I think you misunderstood what he said. The villains of daredevil were despicable human beings but their portrayals made them compelling. He disagrees about Carrie Ann Moss, he's probably just disappointed with her performance.

Pachimari

I'm starting to get frustrated at how Marvel keeps missing big opportunities to do some great crossovers. Jessica needs to show up in Luke Cage, and Luke needs to have an appearance in Iron Fist. I wouldn't mind if some side character from Jessica Jones come asking Matt and Nelson for help in Daredevil S2 as well. They need to make the shows more interconnected and not wait until The Defenders.

What? Carrie Ann Moss was great.
I also hope Carrie Ann don't come back. Her character might be somewhat redeemed by the end but in large and most parts were she annoying.

I think you misunderstood what he said. The villains of daredevil were despicable human beings but their portrayals made them compelling. He disagrees about Carrie Ann Moss, he's probably just disappointed with her performance.

I liked Trinity. It was the way she was written for sure that I have an issue with..

I hope she comes back as a sleazy attorney that Murdock has to navigate in DD Season 2.

William

I'm actually okay with the fight choreography as-is, it makes sense for someone with super strength to just throw people around. From my perspective, Daredevil and Jessica are going to fight completely differently - Jessica doesn't need to do cool ninja stunts, she just beats them up. Jessica's STR-based, Daredevil is DEX-based.

Yep got to agree, she doesnt need to mess about! I just felt that the fights in daredevil were its standout feature, here I am loving the characters and the drama much more.

Pachimari

I ended up ranking Jessica Jones at #9 on my MCU ranking list. It was ultimately middle of the park. Season 2 needs to improve on a lot of things and I hope they get another go at Jessica Jones.

Matt pirouettes, throws his stick, rolls through the guys legs, delicately chops him in the shoulder and flips him over.

Jessica finishes her whiskey and takes one inebriated punch sending the guy flying into a wall.

Luke puts the guy through the next wall.

Iron Fist does nothing because he isn't cast yet.

THE DEFENDERS: 2017

Eidan

I also hope Carrie Ann don't come back. Her character might be somewhat redeemed by the end but in large and most parts were she annoying.
Yeah, I'm not getting it. Her character was meant to be morally ambiguous, cool and calculated. She did a great job, I personally want to see where they take her.

El Topo

indeed. Especially given the fact that a law firm is a decently important element in this series,
having Pam hiring Nelson & Murdock as her new lawyers would've been perfect, and it would've made so much sense, given that they are also in Hell's Kitchen and they just got done cracking a huge case there which would definitely bolster their reputation. It would've have felt forced and it would be appropriate.

And/or, have Nelson & Murdock represent Jessica at the end instead of Hogarth. I thought their relationship would've been strained at that point but that also would've been appropriate because I'm pretty sure Matt Murdock was involved somehow in the alias storyline.

What a wasted opportunity.

Regarding the cameo:
I think we all would've liked a cameo, but what you propose wouldn't really have worked.

Nelson and Murdock are rather inexperienced, young lawyers with their own firm. They want to be their own bosses and they have expressed their dislike of large, important, immoral legal firms like the one that Horgath is part of. I'm not even sure if they had an actual legal case that went to court, other than (I think) that criminal in one of the first few episodes.

They could've brought them in to defend Jones at the end, but I think getting closure to the relationship between Horgath and Jones was interesting. They also wanted to use that scene to end the whole legal story of Kilgrave, hence the mention of Hope's case, which wouldn't really have worked with Murdock/Nelson.

A small cameo would've been nice though.

Yeah, I'm not getting it. Her character was meant to be morally ambiguous, cool and calculated. She did a great job, I personally want to see where they take her.

Absolutely agree. I think she did a fantastic job.

Pachimari

Actually, I would say Carrie Ann did a good job. The character itself annoyed me but it was supposed to be that. I wouldn't be opposed to her returning and see where the crew could take her. Jeri Hogarth as a character just really annoyed me every time she were on screen.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
He's referred to as Hulk multiple times.

I think they really shy away from using their superhero names as much as possible. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a policy against calling them by their superhero names.

neojubei

I kind of liked her performance, she is a shark of a lawyer not some do-gooder.

Finished all the episodes, now I cannot wait to see that f-ed up shenanigans Luke gets involved with.

neojubei

Yeah but as I've said it's not like villains can't be fun to watch. Killgrave is a perfect example. He's repulsive, but you have to watch him. Hogarth's just whiny and spends all of her screen time bitching at Jess for... something.

The whole time. The whole 13 episodes. Whining at Jess. For SOMETHING.
"You broke a window"

"You're not picking up my call"

"You're not solving my shit fast enough"

"You're solving my shit too violently"

"Lol there's no way there's a mind controller chasing you"

"Eugh this mind controller is a drag, GET HIM"

LOL BETRAYAL

A real person would be complaining about those things.

People seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around her as a character. She's not a trained Martial artist like Captain America or DD, she doesn't want to be a masked Hero like Spider Man (Or DD). So she's not the kinda of person who would have reason to learn advanced tech for fighting people that wont kill them. Sure, she's better at fighting than the avrg person ... but she mostly relies on her strength to toss people around, bop their heads into something hard or choke em out. Both her and Luke Cage do this because they're strong AF
(and at least JJ can kill someone with one punch. Like Spider Man she clearly has to pull her punches, but unlike Spider Man she has no desire to be a masked hero)

As for the head phones thing, I think it's important to note that
head phones likely only work to shorten the distance he needs to be to control you. Like when he goes into the families home and tells the children to go into the closest yet the girl with the ear phones doesn't do it. When he said that he was across the room and talking at a normal level. He then turns and walks closer to the girl before speaking to her again, putting himself at a range where she would have to be able to hear him.

Wearing head phones and blasting music in your ears isn't a great path to fighting him directly.

then why did they work for trish in the final episode?

Explained above. It's not just auditory. They can be effective but head phones have a limited use.

Alienous

Regarding Kilgrave:
did people miss the whole thing that it's not just auditory, but a biological disease emitted by his body too? Headphones alone wouldn't work

You're right, they wouldn't, but it'd be effective.

There's the implication in the last episode that
he can also control you visually; so maybe he could gesture for you to do something and as long as you are within his presence you would be controlled. So the strategy becomes 'head down, headphones blasting'.

But the observation that
headphones would work
is an interesting one. It never occurred to me, watching the series, but yeah, it would work. As long as
you don't know what Kilgrave's command is, such as not being able to hear it, then you'd be immune. So ear plugs are pretty much this dude's kryptonite, and you'd except that to occur to Jessica.

Macka

Just finished episode 10. My feelings are pretty mixed on this show. I feel like the first five or so episodes were pretty solid, despite the pacing being a little slow, but the last few have turned me off in various ways.

Xevren

I was at least hoping for a Danny Rand name drop or something, oh well. Absolutely loved the show though! Tennant was just too good.

antispin

Regarding Kilgrave:

What exactly would you be compelled to do if your brain doesn't receive the instructions (auditory or visual)? The virus angle was lame. Also See:Ep13

Finished watching it. Didn't like it. Felt very flat. DD was much better with its characters.

People seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around her as a character. She's not a trained Martial artist like Captain America or DD, she doesn't want to be a masked Hero like Spider Man (Or DD). So she's not the kinda of person who would have reason to learn advanced tech for fighting people that wont kill them. Sure, she's better at fighting than the avrg person ... but she mostly relies on her strength to toss people around, bop their heads into something hard or choke em out. Both her and Luke Cage do this because they're strong AF
(and at least JJ can kill someone with one punch. Like Spider Man she clearly has to pull her punches, but unlike Spider Man she has no desire to be a masked hero)

As for the head phones thing, I think it's important to note that
head phones likely only work to shorten the distance he needs to be to control you. Like when he goes into the families home and tells the children to go into the closest yet the girl with the ear phones doesn't do it. When he said that he was across the room and talking at a normal level. He then turns and walks closer to the girl before speaking to her again, putting himself at a range where she would have to be able to hear him.

Wearing head phones and blasting music in your ears isn't a great path to fighting him directly.

Explained above. It's not just auditory. They can be effective but head phones have a limited use.

i think that more of
him giving a command directly at the boy and not directly at the girl, though his wording would've otherwise made it seem that she would follow it. plus she was wearing earbuds rather than full on headphones like trish was, which would mean his voice wasn't blocked out. earlier on someone argued that earbuds wouldn't work because they just muffle sound, not completely block it out, it's the same thing here.

yeah man. gender swapped and sexual orientation swapped. well, now you know.
Regarding the cameo:
I think we all would've liked a cameo, but what you propose wouldn't really have worked.

Nelson and Murdock are rather inexperienced, young lawyers with their own firm. They want to be their own bosses and they have expressed their dislike of large, important, immoral legal firms like the one that Horgath is part of. I'm not even sure if they had an actual legal case that went to court, other than (I think) that criminal in one of the first few episodes.
right, which is why they are open to as many (honest) clients as possible. what I was proposing was pam going to them, and that would've been fine because she'd have been a former employee of hogarth's but after fully seeing her true colors, wants nothing more to do with her.

same with jessica jones. while she isn't exactly innocent, she wasn't a direct employee of hogarth's at her law firm. moreover, like I said, matt murdock was involved in the alias story in some capacity, i'm pretty sure.

They could've brought them in to defend Jones at the end, but I think getting closure to the relationship between Horgath and Jones was interesting. They also wanted to use that scene to end the whole legal story of Kilgrave, hence the mention of Hope's case, which wouldn't really have worked with Murdock/Nelson.
that scene was kind of weird to me. I thought hogarth was in a weird place considering what she just went through so I don't know how she would be, at that time, mentally and emotionally capable of giving her lawyer spiel the way she did. nelson & murdock have an ace up their sleeve in that they know if their client is being genuine or not via heartbeat and they seem to be very capable lawyers. they just need more experience and the only way to get it is to practice more.

A small cameo would've been nice though.
agreed, and I think maybe I feel more strongly about it than some others. I think it was such a wasted opportunity.
I kind of liked her performance, she is a shark of a lawyer not some do-gooder.

Finished all the episodes, now I cannot wait to see that f-ed up shenanigans Luke gets involved with.
if her character was supposed to be completely unrelatable and disliked, then yeah, she definitely did a good job.

Only have 2 more episodes left. So far I love it. Hard to compare to DD because both shows do different things better. These 2 are definitely in the upper echelon of superhero related shows for me.

Khezu

Super jumps were probably the biggest offender with her inconsistent powers.

The first few times you see her do it, it's pretty weak, just jumping up to like the second floor of a building.

Then there is that part after the weird house plot where she has KIllgrave and super jumps away, and Simpsons boys compare what she does to actual flying, and it would have to be if they instantly gave up pursuit.

Not to mention Jessica her self talks it up as guided falling, which implies she can get some serious air.

So I was assuming they were saving their budget for the last episode and have her perform a real amazing feet, but instead all the build up is just her doing a weak ass long jump. Which looked like it strained her, as she had to have a running start to do it, and she rolled when she hit the ground.

Which also brings up another point, if she is such a glass canon that normal dudes can work her over in certain situations, how would she even survive a super jump? She has no enhanced durability, at best she would break her legs on the landing, or worse splat all over the road.

Platy

Kinda funny how "wears a cape" is still the "be a hero" reference in marvel universe, where Thor is the only MCU hero that has a cape.

Kinda funny how "wears a cape" is still the "be a hero" reference in marvel universe, where Thor is the only MCU hero that has a cape.
was that line actually used? i don't remember.

in any case, i'm sure comic books about fictional superheroes exist, in that fictional universe.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't mind the lack of references to the Avengers or of anything else that currently exists in their world in JJ. I actually didn't like the subplot in Episode 4 because I felt that it was forced in and didn't really affect the main plot at all.

I wouldn't have minded a reference or two in JJ but I don't think it would've been necessary anyways.

As for AoS, that shit is dialed up to 11. I fucking hated the Pym namedrop in the Season 3 premiere.
I liked episode 4 precisely because it felt like a necessary reminder that Jessica has a lot to fear, not just from Kilgrave, but from bigoted idiots. Especially considering today's climate. It's also a reinforcement of her decision as to why she isn't a costumed hero, and the backlash that figures like them have on people like her.

I liked episode 4 precisely because it felt like a necessary reminder that Jessica has a lot to fear, not just from Kilgrave, but from bigoted idiots. Especially considering today's climate. It's also a reinforcement of her decision as to why she isn't a costumed hero, and the backlash that figures like them have on people like her.
another thing about that is, you would think at this point people wouldn't have such a hard time believing in the impossible.

and it's not just people with superhuman powers; the people of this universe have now discovered that they are not alone in the cosmos.

Platy

Vision has a cape too.

But I think it's a logical reference.

It is a logical reference because the classic image of super hero is Superman. Makes you wonder if she is refering to other hero or superman exists (even if only as a comic) in the marvel universe

Kinda like "hey einstein !" line from starfox makes you wonder what animal albert einstein is in the starfox universe =P

Macka

I'm probably forgetting a lot because the episodes are blurring together at this point, but as of Episode 11:

The Good
+ First few episodes had a real Veronica Mars vibe to it which I enjoyed.
+ Luke Cage is awesome, and had great chemistry with Jessica before he found out about her involvement in his wife's death. I miss that.
+ Kilgrave is probably the best MCU villain so far. David Tennant has killed it.

The Bad
- The action in this show is honestly pretty bad. Pretty much every fight scene boils down to people getting thrown around in really boring ways. I guess this is understandable given that JJ isn't exactly a trained martial artist or anything, and she and Luke are also holding back to avoid killing the normies, but even characters like Simpson don't bring much to the table in terms of having impressive fight scene choreography. As of Ep11 the best fight scene is still the bar fight in episode 3 or 4?
- Hogarth is a terrible character, and not in a good way. Way too much time was spent on the divorce subplot, which was purely there to give her motivation to free Purple Man.
- I haven't read the comic so maybe this is just how he is, but Purple Man isn't particularly intimidating anymore. For most of the last four or five episodes he has escaped through a combination of dumb luck and other characters making really stupid decisions.
- The twin sister sucks. Not only is she irrelevant and unfunny, but her place in the story makes no sense. So her brother goes missing and she seemingly hasn't contacted the police, or questioned Jessica on his whereabouts? Her reaction to overhearing Malcolm telling the support group that Kilgrave murdered her brother was really weird too.
- I guess this is pretty minor, but Malcolm managing to give up drugs so quickly was a pretty hard to believe, and from that point on he has been kinda irrelevant but still shows up a lot.

Top Bottom