• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

raphier

Banned
the "dart plan" failed, because several carloads of armed thugs came after him to rescue him.

If you aren't using Luke Cage, then anyone else would be shot to death or beaten senseless by Kilgrave's personal security. Yes, even Jessica coudn't do much when six dudes with cattle prods laid into her.
That was most retarded scene ever. She bends steel for gods sake, are you telling she can't knock out six dudes?

That was most retarded scene ever. She bends steel for gods sake, are you telling she can't knock out six dudes?

She's a glass cannon and her full strength kills. Measuring your force while fighting multiple attackers with cattle prods is easier than it looks.

Because if she kills anyone, this is still technically the real world and at that point "He's a mind-controller" is far from proven.

Loved most of the show but the entire notion of letting this evil, horrible, powerful man
live just to spare a young girl from jail time is absurd, especially when he's killing multiple people each episode
. I don't understand her thought process here....

well. just Watched the first episode.

And I have a MAJOR complaint:

This is the SECOND netflix Marvel series IN A ROW to have a grand, expansive view of the New York Skyline.. AND NOT SHOW STARK TOWER. Hell, There's a CLEAR AS FUCKING DAY SHOT OF THE METLIFE TOWER IN EPISODE 2.

This is the SECOND netflix Marvel series IN A ROW to have a grand, expansive view of the New York Skyline.. AND NOT SHOW STARK TOWER. Hell, there are shots that show the fucking Metlife Building!

lmao do people really care about this?

raphier

Banned
She's a glass cannon and her full strength kills. Measuring your force while fighting multiple attackers with cattle prods is easier than it looks.

Because if she kills anyone, this is still technically the real world and at that point "He's a mind-controller" is far from proven.

Maybe she needs to learn how to knock people out. Boxers do it all the time. She fought three guys before the rods. One hit to the head each to cause a concussion would be enough to neutralize them all. Then continue with the original plan. Too bad she doesn't take yoga classes.

Dali

This is the SECOND netflix Marvel series IN A ROW to have a grand, expansive view of the New York Skyline.. AND NOT SHOW STARK TOWER. Hell, there are shots that show the fucking Metlife Building!
The sfx budget is nonexistent.

This Simpson subplot....

the absolute fucking worst.

seriously it jackknifed the entire series so far (i'm on episode 10)

when he first appeared i was like 'woof, that's some bad acting. thank god he's just killie's stooge
BUT THEN HE KEPT STICKING AROUND
AND THEN HE FUCKING KILLED LESTER FREAMON??

and that's another thing, what is with Netflix Marvel and interesting older black males??

Wait until you see her super jump.

I hear thats looks like crap.

So did a lot of the special effects in DD. I hope they up the CG budget for S2 for these shows because it stands out.

For example that one shot of the warehouse exploding in Daredevil that they use in all the trailers for that show looks like garbage.

Jarmel

Banned

when he first appeared i was like 'woof, that's some bad acting. thank god he's just killie's stooge

and that's another thing, what is with Netflix Marvel and interesting older black males??

dohohoho

It gets worse.

Soodanim

I'm on a tablet so I can't search this thread, so are the people who come to testify about the Chinese dude with glowing eyes etc references to Marvel characters?

I think the showrunners want to keep it out of the audiences mind as much as they can.
they don't really have a choice given that all of the properties are taking place in the same universe. It will be in the audience's mind whether they like it or not. Just look at
how people were disappointed for the lack of a daredevil/Matt Murdock cameo.

Dali

I hear thats looks like crap.

So did a lot of the special effects in DD. I hope they up the CG budget for S2 for these shows because it stands out.

For example that one shot of the warehouse exploding in Daredevil that they use in all the trailers for that show looks like garbage.
The camera zooms in on her feet so close that they leave the frame after elevating an inch. Cut to everyone who saw this amazing feat befuddled at what they'd just seen.

they don't really have a choice given that all of the properties are taking place in the same universe. It will be in the audience's mind whether they like it or not. Just look at

why the fuck did i click that

I feel like this is something that's getting set up for JJ Season 2.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Watched first 3 episodes....eh. Could be a lot better. Im not as compelled to marathon it like i was DD. Its enjoyable but a bit dull, mostly because i dont really care about any of the characters. I knew nothing about the comics.

spidye

oh god the last 2 episodes

I really, really, REALLY dislike everyone in this show. the dumbest people on the planet.

not even tennant could save this show

William

Haven't finished yet but i feel like they dropped the ball as far as production values go. Used to hold them in the same esteem with their originals as HBO or Showtime. They kinda took a huge step back with this.

I feel like its on a par with Daredevil in terms of production, maybe not fight choreography, but scripting and acting is really good I feel.

I like this darker side of Marvel, hope it seeps into the films some.

Eidan

Yeah. I'm not even saying there should be cameos, but the fact that Jessica Jones and Daredevil take place in the same universe, in the same neighborhood, and it never feels like it, feels strange, to say nothing of the fact the Marvel shows seem like they're almost barred from naming the Avengers.

There are way too many gay couples in this show.

Uhhh there are two. One of which has the same person in it.

Yeah. I'm not even saying there should cameos, but the fact that Jessica Jones and Daredevil take place in the same universe, in the same neighborhood, and it never feels like it, feels strange, to say nothing of the fact the Marvel shows seem like they're almost barred from naming the Avengers.

It's weird, I hated Agents of Shield for namedropping "Stark" and the "New York incident" every 5 seconds, but it wouldn't kill Jessica Jones to have more, especially since in this case we know a crossover is DEFINITELY coming.

Up through episode 7 now...David Tennant is killing it (ha ha) as Killgrave, but that was to be expected I think. Damn twisted villain, I love how much of an irredeemable prick he is. Really enjoying this a lot, although still unsure of whether I'd place Daredevil above or below it.

I feel like its on a par with Daredevil in terms of production, maybe not fight choreography, but scripting and acting is really good I feel.

I'm actually okay with the fight choreography as-is, it makes sense for someone with super strength to just throw people around. From my perspective, Daredevil and Jessica are going to fight completely differently - Jessica doesn't need to do cool ninja stunts, she just beats them up. Jessica's STR-based, Daredevil is DEX-based.

Yeah. I'm not even saying there should be cameos, but the fact that Jessica Jones and Daredevil take place in the same universe, in the same neighborhood, and it never feels like it, feels strange, to say nothing of the fact the Marvel shows seem like they're almost barred from naming the Avengers.
indeed. Especially given the fact that a law firm is a decently important element in this series,
having Pam hiring Nelson & Murdock as her new lawyers would've been perfect, and it would've made so much sense, given that they are also in Hell's Kitchen and they just got done cracking a huge case there which would definitely bolster their reputation. It would've have felt forced and it would be appropriate.

And/or, have Nelson & Murdock represent Jessica at the end instead of Hogarth. I thought their relationship would've been strained at that point but that also would've been appropriate because I'm pretty sure Matt Murdock was involved somehow in the alias storyline.

What a wasted opportunity.

indeed. Especially given the fact that a law firm is a decently important element in this series,
having Pam hiring Nelson & Murdock as her new lawyers would've been perfect, and it would've made so much sense, given that they are also in Hell's Kitchen and they just got done cracking a huge case there which would definitely bolster their reputation. It would've have felt forced and it would be appropriate.

And/or, have Nelson & Murdock represent Jessica at the end instead of Hogarth. I thought their relationship would've been strained at that point but that also would've been appropriate because I'm pretty sure Matt Murdock was involved somehow in the alias storyline.

What a wasted opportunity.

Yeah it was hugely disappointing, When Hogarth's miserable face came through the door I wished Jess would punch her.

i mean,
i've been waiting for dd to show up the whole fucking show and now i know he doesn't

fmfl
yeah man, it wasn't a focal plot point that I had hidden but still, I'm sorry. But hey, at least you know ahead of time and won't be as disappointed when the season is over. It hurt a lot for me too. :\

Ep 10
When you have three people rushing you when you have a crazy sociopath tied up in the room next to you, I would imagine your priority is making sure that nobody gets up, even if you have to break a few bones. Especially when that man can control minds.
You can blame it on bad choreography but the scene was a mess and only further highlights how inconsistent the show treats powers.
She has broken ribs, one of which may or may not be lacerating her liver. She has powers, but damn, she's not Superman.I don't think she's even Captain America level in the show, it makes sense that she's not as capable after being hit by a truck and has gone several day without sleep. Then when you add in the guilt she feels for all the people that Kilgrave has hurt, it makes sense in context of the story. That was a hard fight for her, physically and emotionally.

Edit: I had reversed the play order of episodes 10 and 11 in my head.

UrbanRats

I was sort of on the fence on this, but as someone who basically enjoyed Daredevil only for the good fight scenes (i'm not into Marvel/DC stuff, but i like martial arts movies) i should probably avoid this.
I thought the writing in Daredevil was pretty lame overall, if this is on the same level but with less interesting fight scenes, maybe it's not for me.

Top Bottom