• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

It is a logical reference because the classic image of super hero is Superman. Makes you wonder if she is refering to other hero or superman exists (even if only as a comic) in the marvel universe

Kinda like "hey einstein !" line from starfox makes you wonder what animal albert einstein is in the starfox universe =P
I think that's probably what it is.

I just finished watching the first episode and as someone who knows absolutely nothing about Jessica Jones it was quite confusing. For example...

She randomly has super human strength but this isnt even discussed she just lifts a car.

She has sex with a random black guy she is stalking and then crys and leaves

I have no idea who Trinity (from the matrix) is in this show or "Trish" are but they appear to be friends or something. And being a lesbian seems to be quite important as they showed Trinity kissing a girl like 4 different times.

After watching it I Wikipedia'd Jessica Jones and some of the above became slightly clear but I still think they should give us some background on what is happening. I will continue watching and I don't hate it just as an outsider I don't know what is happening.

Jarmel

Banned
Finally finished. Show should have been trimmed down to 10. At 13 it feels bloated, especially with episodes 10 and 11.

Blader

I just finished watching the first episode and as someone who knows absolutely nothing about Jessica Jones it was quite confusing. For example...

She randomly has super human strength but this isnt even discussed she just lifts a car.

I have no idea who Trinity (from the matrix) is in this show or "Trish" are but they appear to be friends or something. And being a lesbian seems to be quite important as they showed Trinity kissing a girl like 4 different times.

After watching it I Wikipedia'd Jessica Jones and some of the above became slightly clear but I still think they should give us some background on what is happening. I will continue watching and I don't hate it just as an outsider I don't know what is happening.

I don't think prior knowledge of Jessica Jones is necessary for understanding one night stands or lesbians...

Why would you Wiki stuff rather than trust that show will explain those things? It has nothing to do with not reading the comics. The show provides answers and background for all of that

SArcher

Banned
I truly think this was better than Daredevil S1. Might not have had some of the heights of that show but JJ more consistent overall.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
ok finished episode 5, does it get any better? I enjoyed daredevil wayyyy more than this thus far. Binged DD, but this is not binge worthy at all.

Its not bad per se, just not endearing, casting is on point, but it feels like nothing much happens in each episode, just kinda meandering..

as for why she began crying and then left (the significance is that she did so after seeing the picture of a woman behind luke's bathroom mirror)
you will find out. that's a thing of the story.

Breh

Uh let the show explain it to you? It's in the MCU if that helps I guess.

Also watch more than the first episode. Netflix Originals are designed differently so expecting the pilot to hold your hand is dumb

Pachimari

I truly think this was better than Daredevil S1. Might not have had some of the heights of that show but JJ more consistent overall.
I would say Jessica Jones had larger pacing issues, not to name all of the lesser problems of not having any rule set to the powers, bad representation of the powers and inconsistencies.

Tobor

I'm on 13. 10 and 11 are definitely the weak points, but 12 was excellent.

Beginning of 13 spoiler
Night Nurse! YES!

Uh let the show explain it to you? It's in the MCU if that helps I guess.

Also watch more than the first episode. Netflix Originals are designed differently so expecting the pilot to hold your hand is dumb

I will watch a few more episodes tonight, maybe it is because it is a netflix series and it is meant to be watched as a long movie.

I don't think prior knowledge of Jessica Jones is necessary for understanding one night stands or lesbians...

You mean to tell me ... sometimes consenting adults decide to have sex without having a deep, caring relationship beforehand?? And sometimes people like the same gender?

Nether!

Great show.
There were some weaker aspects (mostly focused around the secondary characters) but for the most part I thought it was great.
It had a really unique voice that I found refreshing.
Also, some very beautiful city shots and cool use of colour and shadows. There were a few shots I paused to enjoy.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Not understanding these things is very confusing. Sure they don't outright tell you but all the clues about who these people are and how they relate to J.J. is pretty much laid out there. But with Cage, there are things you can just guess from that scene.

as for why she began crying and then left (the significance is that she did so after seeing the picture of a woman behind luke's bathroom mirror)
you will find out. that's a thing of the story.
I haven't even seen past episode 1 and have not read the source material and I can already guarantee you that I know exactly what this means to J.J.

Cartman86

Banned

Hahahahahahaha

iBeleaf

5 Episodes in. Show is okay. I know nothing about Marvel comics and what not so don't have the attachment like some of you. Enjoyed DD more so far.

Shaanyboi

Banned

It's like you don't know what storytelling is.

Eidan

Your post is a textbook example of why a lot of fiction has tons of exposition. Holy shit.

You know it still makes my blood boil that the Avengers Tower isn't there. ESPECIALLY when many of those panning shots show as bright as day the real life building it replaces.

I know CGI is expensive but come the fuck on. You put the damn thing in the promo material Marvel follow the fuck through!

Flip4k

I loved Daredevil, but basically had to force myself to finish the show. I found myself not liking any of the characters and found Jessica herself to be pretty annoying.

The worst part is that I'm no longer that excited for the Luke Cage series.

Dali

Why would you Wiki stuff rather than trust that show will explain those things? It has nothing to do with not reading the comics. The show provides answers and background for all of that
I used wiki because she didn't seem particularly super powered. I know what daredevils power is but I figured jj's was doing marginally better in fights than a normal person. I wanted to know exactly what she her power was in the comics.

Not understanding these things is very confusing. Sure they don't outright tell you but all the clues about who these people are and how they relate to J.J. is pretty much laid out there. But with Cage, there are things you can just guess from that scene.

I haven't even seen past episode 1 and have not read the source material and I can already guarantee you that I know exactly what this means to J.J.
right but for someone who hasn't, you really couldn't tell. i mean, I knew something was up, but at the time all I thought was
she didn't like sleeping with a guy who was still attached to another woman.

Loxley

At Episode 10 right now, unless the final few change my mind, I'd say this is definitely a step below Daredevil. It feels like they're really stretching things out :/

I've only seen 12 episodes but
is it ever explained why Hogarth seemingly breaks her back to help Jessica Jones while not getting much in return? (constantly getting interrupted at her law firm, being expected to drop everything and help JJ at a moments notice)
eh? I don't know what you're talking about here,
the vibe I got is that she didn't give a fuck about hope, and was annoyed with that case. and she's just sort of a scumbag person in general and every time jessica came to her it was for important matters. she was busy doing scuzzy shit.

Tobor

Done! Excellent ending! 10 and 11 are the only weak spots. Rest of the show was great. I'd still rate it a bit below DD due to the two weak episodes, but I'll be there day one for a JJ season 2.

Bring on Luke Cage! Keep this train rolling, Marvel!

I used wiki because she didn't seem particularly super powered. I know what daredevils power is but I figured jj's was doing marginally better in fights than a normal person. I wanted to know exactly what she her power was in the comics.

I don't get that at all. It's clear as day she's pulling her punches so as not to kill anybody.

Luke's wife is what happens when she doesn't. Watch episode 12 to see her go full strength.

At Episode 10 right now, unless the final few change my mind, I'd say this is definitely a step below Daredevil. It feels like they're really stretching things out :/

Stick with it. 10 and 11 are a slog, but 12 and 13 recover and stick the landing.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You guys can claim Luke or JJ are on Caps level but when Cap hits someone you see the force from his blow on his victims. You don't get a sense any power whatsoever in this series. All you get are people being tossed around and there is no acceleration from toss to landing. It's just really poorly done.

You guys can claim Luke or JJ are on Caps level but when Cap hits someone you see the force from his blow on his victims. You don't get a sense any power whatsoever in this series. All you get are people being tossed around and there is no acceleration from toss to landing. It's just really poorly done.

Cap has power AND training.

Tobor

There's no way you could have watched the whole series and still say that.

We all know the choreography in this is not as good as it is in the movies and DD, but this show isn't about action scenes. It doesn't rely on violence like Daredevil does. Get the fuck over it

PsychBat!

Banned

OOOOOOooooh they should have stopped at episode 10. It drags a little while longer.

We all know the choreography in this is not as good as it is in the movies and DD, but this show isn't about action scenes. It doesn't rely on violence like Daredevil does. Get the fuck over it
Jesus. Calm down.

guek

Banned
I wouldn't say it's poorly done but it definitely wasn't a priority on the show. It's easy to forget that Jessica even has powers at times. The show is just way more interested in highlighting Killgrave, which I feel is well done but is also to the show's detriment.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I won't get the fuck over it.

Hopefully the second season has better fight cheoraphracy cus it was horrible this season. It was like Dorne from Game of Thrones but for a full season.

Symphonic

Sorry, if fighting wasn't a priority in this show, they shouldn't have as much as they do.

Love the show but the fighting is piss poor and really feels out of place comparatively to the rest of the show's elements.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why?

It's a gumshoe PI story ... Fights are not the focus. Why wouldn't you accept that?

Why would I ever not mind something being bad in a show?

If the music was bad, I wouldn't "get over it". I would listen to it and always know it was bad.

Same for dialogue, editing, acting, pacing, cinematography, set design, wardrobe and anything else that makes up a show. There are tons of fighting in this show and they're all poorly done. The clear stand out is
when Jessica and co first kidnap Killgrave
, everything about that was terrible.

I still like the show and I ended up watching all 13 episodes but I'm not just going to not care that a part of this show (and I would say it's a big part since there is so much fighting in is) is terribly done.

first of all, i don't think it's fair to say that daredevil relies on violence because it has a lot of great characters, character development, action sequences, script & writing, AND pacing. it's an all around phenomenal show. jessica jones is good but nowhere near the bar that daredevil set, in my opinion.

secondly, I never understand how people on the internet tell other people on the internet to just "get over it" - as if telling them that is going to make them want to do it.

Top Bottom