• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Is every side character that Jessica meets auditioning to be a mission giver in a Rockstar game?

I've only finished the third episode but man, pretty much everyone she meets who isn't a main character feels like they have to have some kind of character quirk in order to give them personality. Its odd.

Why would I ever not mind something being bad in a show?

If the music was bad, I wouldn't "get over it". I would listen to it and always know it was bad.

Same for dialogue, editing, acting, pacing, cinematography, set design, wardrobe and anything else that makes up a show.
That's apples to oranges. Things that are the basics for any story are not the same as one thing not being the focus of a story and not getting the attention you wish.
It's like not liking the romance in a show that doesn't focus on that ...

There are tons of fighting in this show and they're all poorly done. The clear stand out is
when Jessica and co first kidnap Killgrave
, everything about that was terrible.

The fighting in this show is made to show off her as a character just like the "tons of fighting" in Law and Order or Elementary or w/e are used to show their characters. She's not a martial artist and she doesn't fight martial artist, she fights goons and reg folks. She's a woman with super strength who doesn't want to hurt most all the people she fights cause she can easily kill them and she's never learned how to fight very well.

I feel like that reflected in the show pretty damn well.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That's apples to oranges. Things that are the basics for any story are not the same as one thing not being the focus of a story and not getting the attention you wish.
It's like not liking the romance in a show that doesn't focus on that ...

The fighting in this show is made to show off her as a character just like the "tons of fighting" in Law and Order or Elementary or w/e are used to show their characters. She's not a martial artist and she doesn't fight martial artist, she fights goons and reg folks. She's a woman with super strength who doesn't want to hurt most all the people she fights cause she can easily kill them and she's never learned how to fight very well.

I feel like that reflected in the show pretty damn well.

So it's terrible on purpose? They can do all of the above and still have good fights. Look at something like Oldboy,(which Daredevil took as inspiration) in the hallway fight they fight "terrible" but the actual fight is one of the coolest fights in cinema history because of the way it's choreographed. All of the goons are tripping over each other, throwing weak punches and are just awful at fighting and yet it works so well. You can still have well choreographed fight scenes while showing that Jessica Jones isn't some well trained kung-fu master. All the fight scenes did in Jessica Jones was show that they didn't have the budget and time to have great fight scenes.

You can still like the show while pointing out its shortcomings and the fights are one of Jessica Jone's biggest shortcomings. It's especially apparent when you're coming off Daredevil.

Froli

Fights are not the focus. Why wouldn't you accept that?

This is one of the most absurd excuse defending Jessica Jones.

It's like Hey! we are gonna have a good number of action scenes, but that's not the focus!. We will make it low budget, inconsistent, badly choreograph fights, with very awkward (super jumps) and almost non existent special effects. We are going to make this bad on purpose!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Done with 11, thats better. The show really needed more stuff like
Simpson / Nuke
to spice it up, that or it should have been 10 eps or even 8. And yay for
Cage being back and not giving 2 fucks about that explosion lol.

Also, and this is a personal pet peeve I have with most comic adaptations (execept The Flash), they are always so afraid of making connections to the source.

No Hellcat name drop for example. I know its a completely different character but they could easily have thrown in a little nod to fans. When (episode 11 spoiler)
she's hopped up on the drug in ep 11 there could have easily been a little exchange between her and Jessica like "that felt amazing, was I good? Did I look good?" and Jessica would go "yeah yeah you were a hell cat" or something (shit example but Im not a writer lol).

Another example is (again episode 11 spoiler)
Simpson. Sure, the painted US flag across the face wouldnt fly on live action (unless its The Flash, god bless that show), but for example couldn't they at least have named the drug Nuke, as a nod?

Shit like that really makes me sad, in most shows don't get me wrong, its not a JJ unique problem

Done with 11, thats better. The show really needed more stuff like
Simpson / Nuke
to spice it up, that or it should have been 10 eps or even 8. And yay for
Cage being back and not giving 2 fucks about that explosion lol.

Also, and this is a personal pet peeve I have with most comic adaptations (execept The Flash), they are always so afraid of making connections to the source.

No Hellcat name drop for example. I know its a completely different character but they could easily have thrown in a little nod to fans. When (episode 11 spoiler)
she's hopped up on the drug in ep 11 there could have easily been a little exchange between her and Jessica like "that felt amazing, was I good? Did I look good?" and Jessica would go "yeah yeah you were a hell cat" or something (shit example but Im not a writer lol).

Another example is (again episode 11 spoiler)
Simpson. Sure, the painted US flag across the face wouldnt fly on live action (unless its The Flash, god bless that show), but for example couldn't they at least have named the drug Nuke, as a nod?

Shit like that really makes me sad, in most shows don't get me wrong, its not a JJ unique problem
On Trish:
There is plenty of stuff showing her yearning to have powers and be a hero like Jessica is tring to be. She has red hair in her Hannah Montana days.

On Simpson:
He's got the american flag lighter if that helps. And why the hell would they call the drugs Nuke. It's clearly a bootleg supersoldier thing

The Hermit

Just finished.

I was really liking this show until episode 8, then The quality drops heavily, and it picks up a bit at 12.

I expected it to be better than DD, but I enjoyed that show much more.

Nah you're wrong, it's a pretty good show.

What is so great and amazing about Jessica's character? She's an asshole who drinks a lot? That covers up how much of a boring character she is.

The villain was mediocre because they kept changing him tonally all the time. He was frightening and mysterious at first, methodical and brilliant the next, then he becomes this joke who goes to concerts to test his range with a lot of witnesses or tells an entire restaurant to be quiet (even though some of those guys were more than his yard range).

The apartment people were a drag as the only good interaction was with Malcolm but as soon as he came clean he had zero purpose in the show. He was there to run his group because he was in school to be a social worker. He provided no support or role in how the rest of the series concluded.

The brother and sister were meaningless. What was their purpose? To show Kilgrave is a bad person? Show could have done without them as they lead no where.

The divorce subplot lead no where but if it did please let me know?

Luke Cage was shoved into this show for no reason. If they were going to add him then add Dare Devil as he would have been intrigued by stories of a man using mind control (he would have tested to see if Hope was lying). His plot meant nothing as well. Maybe it means something in his show? But here? The wife served as a way to MAKE HIM ANGRY.

The worst offender I noticed is how the only way a woman can feel hurt, damaged, broken, etc is if they're raped or abused without their consent.

I can't find this show to be good, mediocre at best.

Subpar Spatula:
Luke is there because he's a big part of JJs life. I expect Jessica in the Luke Cage series as well. Relationship building. DD is less necessary.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Episode 12
Damn that scissors suicide :eek:

Yeah Luke
is a massive part of JJ's life in the future. Also he's getting his own tv show super soon. Luke is a pretty big Marvel character as well

Subpar Spatula:
Luke is there because he's a big part of JJs life. I expect Jessica in the Luke Cage series as well. Relationship building. DD is less necessary.
Which is fine it that's what's alluded to but in the show he seems like a guy she bangs that's getting his own show. He played no part in the story as he was shoe-horned in at weird moments like when he appears outside the restaurant for no raisin.

It's just not well done.

Which is fine it that's what's alluded to but in the show he seems like a guy she bangs that's getting his own show. He played no part in the story as he was shoe-horned in at weird moments like when he appears outside the restaurant for no raisin.

It's just not well done.
He appears to kill Kilgrave for revenge on his wife. Do you need every little detail explained to you?

Luke will get more important as the Netflix MCU story progresses.

In the Comics, Luke and Jessica
get married and have a kid. They name the kid Dani after their buddy Iron Fist (Danny Rand). They gotta get their first, couples these days often start off as fuck buddies, not high school romances or some stupid shit

He appears to kill Kilgrave for revenge on his wife. Do you need every little detail explained to you?

Luke will get more important as the Netflix MCU story progresses.

In the Comics, Luke and Jessica
get married and have a kid. They name the kid Dani after their buddy Iron Fist (Danny Rand). They gotta get their first, couples these days often start off as fuck buddies, not high school romances or some stupid shit

I understand WHY he's there, it's just shoe horned in so Luke and Jessica can fight. Having a reason for doing something doesn't make it good. It can still be bad, and having him appear randomly after "following" Jessica is shoe horned.

Loxley

I would like to thank this show for introducing me to Susie Abromeit.

iYwYalo.gif

etta

my hard graphic balls
Holy shit, guys.
What a fantastic show. Netflix has been killing it with House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Marco Polo, Daredevil, Narcos, Master of None, Jessica Jones... I have yet to watch Sense8.
I think I'm gonna rewatch this pretty soon, unless maybe Gotham is good as well?
Fuck, there isn't going to be a season 2 until like 2017, right?

Rhaknar

For all the shitting on the fights going on, I loved how brutal EPISODE 12 SPOILER
Jessica vs Luke was

the issue with the fighting that I've seen is that we come from Daredevil S1 which had amazing fighting scenes/choreography that was brutal AF, even some that were hyped up ( the one-shot scene), and then this show cuts corners on so much of the action. I don't think they ever meant to focus on the action though, but I'm only 3 episodes in, I'll keep watching to make that judgement myself.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
What is so great and amazing about Jessica's character? She's an asshole who drinks a lot? That covers up how much of a boring character she is.

The villain was mediocre because they kept changing him tonally all the time. He was frightening and mysterious at first, methodical and brilliant the next, then he becomes this joke who goes to concerts to test his range with a lot of witnesses or tells an entire restaurant to be quiet (even though some of those guys were more than his yard range).

The apartment people were a drag as the only good interaction was with Malcolm but as soon as he came clean he had zero purpose in the show. He was there to run his group because he was in school to be a social worker. He provided no support or role in how the rest of the series concluded.

The brother and sister were meaningless. What was their purpose? To show Kilgrave is a bad person? Show could have done without them as they lead no where.

Luke Cage was shoved into this show for no reason. If they were going to add him then add Dare Devil as he would have been intrigued by stories of a man using mind control (he would have tested to see if Hope was lying). His plot meant nothing as well. Maybe it means something in his show? But here? The wife served as a way to MAKE HIM ANGRY.

The worst offender I noticed is how the only way a woman can feel hurt, damaged, broken, etc is if they're raped or abused without their consent.

I can't find this show to be good, mediocre at best.

Um, what? This is not true. The sister was absolutely hurt and damaged by her brother's death. Jery's wife was hurt and damaged by her betrayal. Trish, at the beginning of the show was hurt by Jessica, who had not spoken or contacted her in months. A part of Jessica's damage had nothing to do with KIilgrave and everything to do with her losing her whole family.

While I agree that the sister/brother story could have been removed, the divorce storyline did have a purpose. Jery's ex's demands and blackmail lead her to make the deal with Kilgrave in order to get her divorce. She's the one who cut the safety wire, which lead to his escape and also to him finding out about the dead fetus, which lead him to increasing his powers.

Rhaknar

Episode 13
what a missed opportunity to make even the slightest purple tint to his skin when he juices up.

Fuck this endless search for realism, you have a giant green guy in your universe, you even mention him, people won't be turned off with a little fantasy ffs. Sigh.

daman824

Honestly after all of the marvel movies, it's incredibly hard to take this series seriously. The amount of people who straight up deny
kilgraves
existence despite there being a huge green man, two gods who openly use magic (Thor and Loki) and a super soldier who has been frozen since wwII almost completely ruins this series. I mean, all that exists. But a guy who can
control people's minds
isn't believable?

This series should have been set BEFORE any of the other marvel stuff. It would have been an easy eeasy way to avoid this issue.

And now watching epsiode 3, the amount of completely idiotic shit Jessica does is just infuriating. The police officer and all of the people in
kilgraves
safe house were perfect witnesses to defend hope. But she tells the officer to forget it at first?
kilgrave
does not care AT ALL about secrecy. Which makes people's unwillingness to believe any of this stuff so stupid.

Lastly, it's also so so so sooo obvious they are setting up civil war. "I saw my mom die under a building you brought down saving the city" "how many more people like us do you think there are?"

guek

Banned

I don't think Jessica is an "amazing" character but she's unique among the annals of superhero shows in that she's an incredibly flawed person who usually tries to do the right thing. It's easy to distill a character into a simple diminutive summary but that doesn't necessarily make it accurate.
I do think Jessica's character has some problems like how her alcoholism is so frequently handwaved but I wouldn't describe her as boring. The show does a good, albeit not quite exceptional, job of creating a character who is used to feeling powerful being haunted by feelings of complete helplessness. Her arc has a nice progression from frequent flashbacks of being controlled to eventually regaining that control as she confronts her attacker head on.

That's not to say her character is "amazing" like you're trying to argue against but I don't think she's boring either. Things can be more than just all good or all bad. I found Jessica to be mostly good though.

You examples aren't really in line with your criticism. You seem more concerned about consistency than tone, which is also not particularly accurate. He gets away with hiding in plain sight because most people don't know what the hell is going on when he exerts control over them. It sounds like you were more disappointed with Killgrave once he came out of the shadows and was shown directly but he's still pretty fucking monstrous from beginning to end. Ultimately, and correct me if I'm wrong, I think you're upset that he's really a pathetic child who always gets his way rather than some enigmatic badass villain that's "cool" so you can gaze at in awe. The latter would be an absolutely terrible way to portray a villain that's both metaphorically and quite literally an embodiment of stalker/rapists.

There were a total of 3 apartment characters and one of them died halfway through the series and another has a story that basically concludes around the same time. None of them take up enough story time to drag much down like you're saying. Why does it matter that they don't tie into how the series concludes? They're minor characters who had a minor yet substantial role in the overall story. What you're asking for and what you're criticizing are exact opposites. Malcolm didn't have to have a major role in how the show ended since he never had a major role to begin with.

The purpose of the brother and sister was to make Jessica's apartment feel lived in and ultimately to present more obstacles for Jessica. They both play minor roles, even more minor than Malcolm, and they existed to give Jessica another source of guilt. Reuben existed to die and his sister existed to remind Jessica of her failures. That doesn't make either of them especially deep or compelling but that wasn't what they were there for anyway. They're mostly window dressing characters who got barely any screen time but were far from meaningless like you're saying.

The divorce subplot was for the sake of Hogarth's character, not Jessica's. Her whole bit wasn't that great, I'll gladly concede to that. Hogarth is initially presented as someone who is stern and self-serving but, like Jessica, a good person deep down. Then the show takes a hard left and it turns out she's just a shitty person all the way through. Yeah, not that compelling.

I wouldn't say for no reason but they could have done more with him, and Jessica killing his wife was definitely too convenient to the point of feeling contrived. Cage wasn't used enough, tbh. He's an important part of Jessica Jones lore but they didn't go far enough with him. But because of how infrequently he shows up, I don't think he ruins the show at all. He's not around enough to do so.

Well that's a bunch of bullshit. Just to rattle off a few easy examples - Jess feels damaged over the guilt of causing her family's car accident, Trish is hurt when Jess distances herself from her, Hoggarth's entire story has nothing to do with rape or abuse and is instead concerned with the emotional toil of a messy divorce, Trish feels powerless to help her friend and struggles with the reality that, yeah, she can't do much, etc.

There are plenty of valid criticisms you can levy at this show but saying its women need to be raped/abused to feel hurt or damaged is absolutely, unequivocally, flat out untrue.

Rhaknar

Finished it. Thought it was good but somethings kept it from being great. Definitely not as good as DD in my opinion.

Dysun

I just saw episode 10 and I can see where the mixed feelings are coming from

People gave Daredevil flak for running out of gas at the end, but this feels like a full on derailment.
Nuke, Hogarth, and the Support Group's actions feel wrong, rushed, contrived, and lazy.
Here's to hoping it rebounds in the final stretch.

Pachimari

Episode 13
what a missed opportunity to make even the slightest purple tint to his skin when he juices up.

Fuck this endless search for realism, you have a giant green guy in your universe, you even mention him, people won't be turned off with a little fantasy ffs. Sigh.
Yeah I agree. I'm actually sick of Marvel TV trying to stay grounded in their Netflix shows.

zma1013

I just finished watching the first episode and as someone who knows absolutely nothing about Jessica Jones it was quite confusing. For example...

She randomly has super human strength but this isnt even discussed she just lifts a car.

She has sex with a random black guy she is stalking and then crys and leaves

I have no idea who Trinity (from the matrix) is in this show or "Trish" are but they appear to be friends or something. And being a lesbian seems to be quite important as they showed Trinity kissing a girl like 4 different times.

After watching it I Wikipedia'd Jessica Jones and some of the above became slightly clear but I still think they should give us some background on what is happening. I will continue watching and I don't hate it just as an outsider I don't know what is happening.

This is like asking construction workers where the roof is while they are pouring the foundation.

Yeah I agree. I'm actually sick of Marvel TV trying to stay grounded in their Netflix shows.
Uh compared to the 12 movies, 3 seasons of AoS and 1 season of Agent Carter, the Netflix series is a great change of pace from the comic book sillyness.

I mean I love comic book sillyness, but shows like Daredevil and this are just fine the way they are, grounded and fighting the pond scum of the Marvel Universe the Avengers don't give a shit about.

So it's terrible on purpose?
I think it's OK for the story they're telling.
This is one of the most absurd excuse defending Jessica Jones.

It's like Hey! we are gonna have a good number of action scenes, but that's not the focus!.
Action scenes aren't the same as "fight scenes", not sure which people are referring to. Most action scenes in this show are just one sided encounters or struggles. The show skips out on showing flight which is annoying but really it's action and fight scenes are ok for the tone of this show and character.

I really wouldn't say there's really many action screens or fights either really.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just finished watching the first episode and as someone who knows absolutely nothing about Jessica Jones it was quite confusing. For example...

She randomly has super human strength but this isnt even discussed she just lifts a car.

She has sex with a random black guy she is stalking and then crys and leaves

I have no idea who Trinity (from the matrix) is in this show or "Trish" are but they appear to be friends or something. And being a lesbian seems to be quite important as they showed Trinity kissing a girl like 4 different times.

After watching it I Wikipedia'd Jessica Jones and some of the above became slightly clear but I still think they should give us some background on what is happening. I will continue watching and I don't hate it just as an outsider I don't know what is happening.
How about watch a couple of more episodes?

You can still like the show while pointing out its shortcomings and the fights are one of Jessica Jone's biggest shortcomings. It's especially apparent when you're coming off Daredevil.

No, wrong expectations because you most likely dont know a thing about Alias.

Einchy

How about watch a couple of more episodes?

No, wrong expectations because you most likely dont know a thing about Alias.

How were my expectations wrong when I had no expectations going into the show? I would love for you to tell me what my expectations were.

When a fight scene happened (which there were a lot in the show) and every time I thought they were bad, because they were bad, how were my non existent expectations to blame? I didn't go in thinking that Jessica Jones was some ninja like DD, I went in not expecting a single thing.

I don't get this, "Jessica Jones isn't about the fights" argument when the show has TONS of fight scenes. If the show has fight scenes and uses them a lot, why wouldn't we want them to be good? Why are people so prepared to excuse badly filmed scenes?

I think it's OK for the story they're telling.

So it's like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? The joke is that they were badly filmed and choreographed?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't get this, "Jessica Jones isn't about the fights" argument when the show has TONS of fight scenes.

Two real fight scenes in 13 hours are not tons of fight scenes. Punching people for two seconds are no fights.

And the focus on the show is clearly on something other than fights.

And it seems that you came from Daredevil and thought "Yeah, thats the same Marvel branch that gave us the cool Ninja dude who had awesome fight scene" You had expectations, but since Luke and Jessica are untrained, arent Ninjas, arent 24/7 on patrol to fight crime, its completly ok when their fightstyle looks unspectacular und the producers saved the money for choreographers and put it in something other. I never even thought it was that awful.

Einchy

Two real fight scenes in 13 hours are not tons of fight scenes. Punching people for two seconds are no fights.

And the focus on the show is clearly on something other than fights.

And it seems that you came from Daredevil and thought "Yeah, thats the same Marvel branch that gave us the cool Ninja dude who had awesome fight scene" You had expectations, but since Luke and Jessica are untrained, arent Ninjas, arent 24/7 on patrol to fight crime, its completly ok when their fightstyle looks unspectacular und the producers saved the money for choreographers and put it in something other. I never even thought it was that awful.

And oddly enough, when she punches people it always looks terrible and not in a "she's not trained" terrible but in a "that looked like it was from a network show" terrible.

So because the fight scenes aren't the focus then that excuses them from being bad? I really do not understand this argument at all. I would understand it if I said, "this show doesn't have enough fighting" but that's not the cause, the show has plenty but whenever it does have it it's filmed terribly.

I'm glad that you know what my expectations were when even I didn't know I had any. I don't know how else to say this, I didn't go into this show wanting fight scenes but the show does have them and they're all terrible. I don't know why you think it somehow excuses them because you think I'm some kind of comic book plebeian who thought, "herp derp i lov da ninja! he so coool!!!"

I hope people make some gifs soon so they can go in the hall of shame of other terrible fight scenes in otherwise good shows/movies.

4xlW01R.gif

ko1Cs5G.gif

I especially want some gifs of her jumping, that always looked like it came straight out of a Youtube video.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So because the fight scenes aren't the focus then that excuses them from being bad?

Yes. When the longer ones, who really mattered were bad, then I would have to agree. But when only someone is punched before the camera is somewhere completly different, I couldnt care less.

Maybe it's just the actor, but I really like Simpson and his development throughout the season. He's rad. Spoilers up to Episode 11:
His transformation into a well-meaning villain is handled really well. He wasn't a bad guy, but Killgrave's abuse, his feelings for Trush, his distrust of Jessica, losing his friends, getting caught in the explosion, and then ODing on the reds finally causing him to snap was great. And that shot where he looks at Trish while the two pills are in his mouth was great.

Top Bottom