• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Joni

Show has some awesome tense moments, but feels quite unstable overall. The detective noire aspect doesn't work as well as expected, mainly because it seems to take a backdrop after a couple of episodes. The weird cuts when she punches are distracting. Just like Daredevil the show could have worked by culling quite a lot of characters like the twins and Hogart, and by limiting the length of the season instead of lengthening it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I love the cinematography of the show; especially the way they showed how Kilgrave is in Jessica's head the first few episodes. amazing.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I really enjoy the show's focus on characters over plor and action. It feels like the first Marvel thing that didn't take teenagers into mind
KuGsj.gif

Really digging the show.

Lime

Finished the season. Pretty mediocre, if not below average, and I was actually pretty underwhelmed. Really dumb characters, random stuff happens to the convenience of the writers of the show, repetitive events (
how many times can Kilgrave escape because of some random fuckup by a character?
), one-dimensional and contradictory characters, the cinematography was pretty bland. Most of all I just didn't like the main cast at all with perhaps Trish being unbearably annoying.

Pachimari

I cant tell if you're being sarcastic

Uh compared to the 12 movies, 3 seasons of AoS and 1 season of Agent Carter, the Netflix series is a great change of pace from the comic book sillyness.

I mean I love comic book sillyness, but shows like Daredevil and this are just fine the way they are, grounded and fighting the pond scum of the Marvel Universe the Avengers don't give a shit about.

Guys, I love the grounded realism in the Netflix shows! Daredevil is my favorite in the whole MCU. A little more faithfulness would be nice (I honestly wish Zemo would wear his mask in Civil War) but I'm good with the Netflix shows. :)

The fight scene in 11 was really good.
The fight scene in 12 between
Luke Cage and Jessica Jones
is fantastic! And I liked Luke's fighting in the bar scene, but Jessica's were super off.

Guys, I love the grounded realism in the Netflix shows! Daredevil is my favorite in the whole MCU. A little more faithfulness would be nice (I honestly wish Zemo would wear his mask in Civil War) but I'm good with the Netflix shows. :)

I'm really cautious about how they'll treat The Punisher.

If he's more hero than villain, I'll be disappointed.

Just finished episode 9. Holy. Motherfucking. Shit. I'm kind of in shock at how good this show is. I don't know if I can stop watching, I might be booked up for the next four hours

Ledsen

Episode 9 frustrations:
is Carrie Ann miss supposed to be incredibly stupid? Did she really let kilgrave out just so he could force her ex to SIGN SOME DIVORCE PAPERS? Is this a joke? She clearly believed his power was real, which would mean she knew what he was capable of... And she LET HIM OUT???????? Unbelievable...

Chariot

Episode 9 frustrations:
is Carrie Ann miss supposed to be incredibly stupid? Did she really let kilgrave out just so he could force her ex to SIGN SOME DIVORCE PAPERS? Is this a joke? She clearly believed his power was real, which would mean she knew what he was capable of... And she LET HIM OUT???????? Unbelievable...
Yeah, that what she is about. She thinks so small as also shown by her marriage trouble to begin with. She didn't end it naturally, she cheated and tried to weasel herself out to the point where she was more than willing that Jessica could do horrible things to her wife and rolled the guilt on her girlfriend.

zulux21

I'm really cautious about how they'll treat The Punisher.

If he's more hero than villain, I'll be disappointed.

has the punisher been confirmed for anything?
last I checked it was
daredevil
jessica jones
luke cage
iron fist
defenders

with a second season of daredevil sometime after jessica.

I know there was rumors that IF was getting axed in favor of punisher but nothing has been confirmed right?

Chariot

last I checked it was
daredevil
jessica jones
luke cage
iron fist
defenders

I know there was rumors that IF was getting axed in favor of punisher but nothing has been confirmed right?
Punisher is confirmed for Daredevil season 2.

Evilcrane

A.K.A. Jessica's amazing ass

Really like how different the show feels compared to the other superhero shows out there, though I guess there could be some more pure detective stuff in the story.

zulux21

Punisher is confirmed for Daredevil season 2.

ah, I missed that as I am still working through season one of daredevil. (I really hope the second half is better than the first because I had way more fun with jessica jone's first half than daredevil.)

punisher has minor interest for me, but of the characters they talked about iron fist by far is the one I want to see most. I watch the new spiderman cartoon that involves IF and luke cage and I am curious to see what a mature version of IF is like and to see luke cage and IF's bromance...

Really like how different the show feels compared to the other superhero shows out there, though I guess there could be some more pure detective stuff in the story.
I love how this is clearly a show taking place in a world full of superheroes, but the showitself follows a character who is more detective than superhero

Shaanyboi

Banned
last I checked it was
daredevil
jessica jones
luke cage
iron fist
defenders

Castle seems to be the primary antagonist of Season 2 thus far along Elektra.

Shaanyboi

Banned
heh I know so little about the punisher that I didn't even know his name was Frank Castle lol.

as for elektra she has been fun in the stuff I have seen her in.

Aaand I'm so tired, I didn't even realize I'd typed 'Castle'. lol

Knowing the Netflix shows thus far, they won't be calling him Punisher a whole lot.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

JJ is a person with superpowers who is just trying to make it day to day. I love how the writers incorporated both her and Cage being not all that happy with their powers. Leave the hero stuff to the big green dude and his crew, they're just happy to get by. It's also great that they take this oppurtunity to show how regular New Yorkers have taken the alien invasion in Avengers. It creates a sense of consequence.

Joni

Just realized in hindsight of episode 11: it is very nice
red pills turn you into a complete asshole
as it is a lot better image for MRA.

Finished it. While I was really annoyed by some the choices made in the writing,
particularly Kilgrave's escape from his cell and the bits that led to it and the whole resolution to the Hope plot
, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It starts off stronger than it ends. DD S1 is the more well-rounded of the two, but I'm looking forward to more JJ, DD, and LC...especially if they start feeling more confident in their approaches to each one in subsequent seasons and, hopefully, together in more crossover arcs, culminating in a Defenders show.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I finished watching the series last night. A really solid series and a great character study about a character trying recover from past trauma. Like Daredevil though, it kind of stumbles towards the end of the series.

I disappointed at how the show went out of its way to avoid being associated with the MCU and even Daredevil:
Met Life Building in place of Avengers Tower, token mention the Battle of New York and the Avengers. Claire Temple and the mention of Daredevil featured only in the final episode. Matt Murdock really should have made a cameo considering all the legal proceedings going on.

The whole
Nuke
subplot seems shoehorned in and only there maybe to lead to a future season or Luke Cage. Speaking of which, I do hope JJ gets renewed for a second season, maybe use The Pulse as source material.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Finished last night

Nuke was well done, didnt realized it was him til the Hospital scene. Great surprise.

but great show, same feel as DD but slightly different approach.

the fighting is a not as entertaining as DD because of the nature of these characters themselves. DD is a fucking ninja that was fighting other ninjas and trained fighters for the most part, so the choreography just naturally gonna be more interesting. in JJ, most of the characters involved are street brawlers. But the JJ fight scenes where fine
the JJ vs Nuke was great.

Marvel did it again, 2 Thumbs up.

Eidan

I'll echo the sentiment that the fight in episode 11 was great. Genuinely thrilling.

I'll also say that Trish was probably my favorite character on the show.

duckroll

im really liking the show but cant get over the poor fights and weirdly bad/cheap looking cuts, like when she jumps high

Still only 4 eps in, so I don't really have a comment about the quality of "fights" so far, but I have a feeling the way they handle the "jumping" has more to do with deliberate choice than being cheap. It's always framed in a way that she does it when no one is really looking so no one notices. Part of the "gritty" and "grounded" nature of the Netflix Marvel shows, for better or for worse.

Took me forever to realize Trinity's wife was the woman from Deadwood who was in love with Buffalo Bill. She looked so familiar it was driving me nuts. :p

Anyway, been thinking about Kilgrave's power and I wonder how many people would be totally altruistic if they had it. If I am being totally honest I would use it most of the times for selfish reasons and maybe do the odd good thing if I ran into the option. I probably wouldnt go out of my way to do good stuff, pretty unlikely I would fly to North Korea and fix that mess. Maybe if I got bored at some point I would but almost certainly not at first. I dont think I would be flat out evil like Kilgrave but I bet I wouldnt be Superman good either.

GAF?

Episode 9 frustrations:

But,
she doesn't let him out. She thinks about it and it's seduced by it, but in the end she changes her mind and leaves him locked up. Jessica opening it up to save Kilgrave's parents is arguably much more stupid, since they didn't have the shocks anymore. He could have easily gained the upper hand and killed everybody. They were lucky he just wanted to escape and that his power didn't work on Jessica anymore.

Two real fight scenes in 13 hours are not tons of fight scenes. Punching people for two seconds are no fights.

And the focus on the show is clearly on something other than fights.

And it seems that you came from Daredevil and thought "Yeah, thats the same Marvel branch that gave us the cool Ninja dude who had awesome fight scene" You had expectations, but since Luke and Jessica are untrained, arent Ninjas, arent 24/7 on patrol to fight crime, its completly ok when their fightstyle looks unspectacular und the producers saved the money for choreographers and put it in something other. I never even thought it was that awful.
The fights were absolute trash, at least the choreography was. Even if they weren`t trained, who the fuck throws people as their attack 80% of the time? Probably the weakest part of the series so far.

I can't tell what to rate it yet. Good first season. Anywhere between 7.7 to 8 for the first season. I feel like it should have been 11 episodes instead of 13. The second half of the season definitely dragged. I liked Locke Cage though, I wonder how he is in Halo 5. I hope they have more interesting aspects in season 2 instead of focusing on Killgrave the entire season like 1. Daredevil had other focus and the main villain I think doesn't actually show up until 1/3rd of the way into the season. I liked most of the cast, but they have several aspects they can improve upon.

So far, I would rank Daredevil as the best first season, Flash as second best and JJ and Bruce the Green Arrow Wayne fighting it out for 3rd place as the best first season for comic books. GA had a below average first half of the season but quite strong second half of the season. Agents of Marvel on the other hand, was laughably terrible. It's an absolute shame that DC has decided to send their shows on CW instead of Netflix or HBO. Flash season 1 in 14 episodes would easily be the best comic book show on tv right now, by a massive margin. Both Flash and GA are flooded by so much filler bullshit, that I lose interest several times during a season. I stopped watching Arrow in s3
Oliver getting rekt and then being saved without even going for a swim but by medicine? What spectacular bullshit.

Sulik2

I'm halfway through episode 6 now. Maaaan this show is dark. Like holy crap. Daredevil still felt like a comic book show with a nasty edge, this show is just brutal. David Tennant is killing it.

Fuchsdh

Took me forever to realize Trinity's wife was the woman from Deadwood who was in love with Buffalo Bill. She looked so familiar it was driving me nuts. :p

Anyway, been thinking about Kilgrave's power and I wonder how many people would be totally altruistic if they had it. If I am being totally honest I would use it most of the times for selfish reasons and maybe do the odd good thing if I ran into the option. I probably wouldnt go out of my way to do good stuff, pretty unlikely I would fly to North Korea and fix that mess. Maybe if I got bored at some point I would but almost certainly not at first. I dont think I would be flat out evil like Kilgrave but I bet I wouldnt be Superman good either.

GAF?

I think the reason I absolutely love Killgrave is to me he's the answer to thoughts I've always bothered my friends about after seeing "Groundhog Day", in which I posit that the natural reaction to being in Phil's position would be ultimately to rape and murder just about everyone in that town at least once. Not just because you're bored of living in the same day over and over, but because after what is clearly years if not decades, wouldn't you stop seeing all those people as… people? They'd become akin to Disney Land animatronics with their repeated patterns and exact same responses.

That, I think, is where Kilgrave lands. He's someone who can literally get whatever he wants, even when he wasn't particularly trying to, and has had that reaction ingrained for decades now. He just doesn't see people as people, and ultimately the reason he's besotted with Jessica is because there's someone who can actually resist him—"the rest are fungible", as he says. He doesn't really even seem to derive a lot of pleasure from the nasty ways he gets people to ruin their lives—it's much more just idle tortures.

I don't think Kilgrave honestly would have ended up much better even without the bad childhood, though. Kids are venal and selfish anyhow, and the fact that your parents essentially can physically or emotionally keep you in line I think is a powerful deterrent that we sometimes don't realize is important in us actually learning how to be moral human beings. Take away the scientific torture, and I still think little Kevin is sending people to the cornfield just like his Twilight Zone predecessor.

While I think the "absolute power corrupts absolutely" line is generally overused, with Kilgrave's power I don't think it's an overstatement. Even if you were a saint and had good intentions you'd still end up corrupted by it, leaving aside the morality of deciding what's best for others by stripping them of their agency.

Altairre

So far, I would rank Daredevil as the best first season, Flash as second best and JJ and Bruce the Green Arrow Wayne fighting it out for 3rd place as the best first season for comic books. GA had a below average first half of the season but quite strong second half of the season. Agents of Marvel on the other hand, was laughably terrible. It's an absolute shame that DC has decided to send their shows on CW instead of Netflix or HBO. Flash season 1 in 14 episodes would easily be the best comic book show on tv right now, by a massive margin. Both Flash and GA are flooded by so much filler bullshit, that I lose interest several times during a season. I stopped watching Arrow in s3
Oliver getting rekt and then being saved without even going for a swim but by medicine? What spectacular bullshit.

I think you forgot Gotham.
Just kidding, the first season of Gotham is pretty bad. Second season makes up for it though, really good stuff.

I think you forgot Gotham.
Just kidding, the first season of Gotham is pretty bad. Second season makes up for it though, really good stuff.
I don`t know if I will ever watch Gotham. The writer is Bruno Heller, the writer of the Mentalist. Lets just say that we spend 6 seasons with a mysterious antagonist and it had the shittiest reveal of all time. It actually might be the worst reveal I have ever seen on television or movies. You get shown 5-6 hints throughout 6 seasons and

half of them turn out to be bullshit.
"Hey Jane want to know more about me and motivations even after visually I look nothing like what was explained?"
- "Nahh brah, don't talk just die. Need to ensure I kill you before people figure out how completely full of shit Bruno Heller."

So yeah Bruno Heller,
200.gif

Altairre

I don`t know if I will ever watch Gotham. The writer is Bruno Heller, the writer of the Mentalist. Lets just say that we spend 6 seasons with a mysterious antagonist and it had the shittiest reveal of all time. It actually might be the worst reveal I have ever seen on television or movies. You get shown 5-6 hints throughout 6 seasons and

half of them turn out to be bullshit.
"Hey Jane want to know more about me and motivations even after visually I look nothing like what was explained?"
- "Nahh brah, don't talk just die. Need to ensure I kill you before people figure out how completely full of shit Bruno Heller."

I watched the first three seasons of Mentalist and read up on what happens and yeah, I understand. The first season of Gotham is really rough too so you're probably going to have a hard time with that as well. Second season is a huge jump in quality though. The show finds its own weird, unique tone and just runs with it. Unfortunately you kind of need the first season. I'd say try it out and see how it goes.

aku:jiki

Just finished and I think I've decided that I hated this show. Jessica is just an irredeemable asshole, the plot is stupid and Kilgrave is a really stupid villain. The fact that the writers thought we wouldn't wonder why no one
was using headphones
until the very last episode is probably the most condescending writing I've seen in years.

Eidan

Just finished and I think I've decided that I hated this show. Jessica is just an irredeemable asshole, the plot is stupid and Kilgrave is a really stupid villain. The fact that the writers thought we wouldn't wonder why no one
was using headphones
until the very last episode is probably the most condescending writing I've seen in years.

Eh, I can understand why just using headphones would be a risky proposition. Any number of things could go wrong:

1) Kilgrave orders someone to remove them.
2) Kilgrave gives you a visual cue to stop, and has someone remove them.
3) You read Kilgrave's lips.
4) You can still hear him if he shouts loud enough.

I can understand why characters would opt for the most cautious approach possible.

raphier

Banned
Eh, I can understand why just using headphones would be a risky proposition. Any number of things could go wrong:

1) Kilgrave orders someone to remove them.
2) Kilgrave gives you a visual cue to stop, and has someone remove them.
3) You read Kilgrave's lips.
4) You can still hear him if he shouts loud enough.

I can understand why characters would opt for the most cautious approach possible.
1. earplugs
2. then just don't pay attention and go slice his throat.
3. Why would I ever do that knowing his powers?
4. not if there's music bashing through the headphones.
Bonus. Earplugs, headphones and music for added layers of protection.

Eidan

1. earplugs
2. then just don't pay attention and go slice his throat.
3. Why would I ever do that knowing his powers?
4. not if there's music bashing through the headphones.
4. Earplugs, headphones and music for added layers of protection.

1) He orders multiple to people to restrain you if in public.
2) If he gives you a visual cue, and you can understand what it means, there wouldn't be any ignoring it.
3) I would assume that if your understanding of a language is strong enough, you could interpret certain things without even thinking about it. I know I can.
4) Ok.

raphier

Banned
2) If he gives you a visual cue, and you can understand what it means, there wouldn't be any "ignoring" it.
3) I would assume that if your understanding of a language is strong enough, you could interpret certain things without even thinking about it. I know I can.
4) Ok.
except that if he's asleep or drugged his powers don't work. If you can shoot a dart gun at him then he's down and so are his minions.

2. Then why didn't he visually manipulate anyone when he was closed in in the cell??

3. yeah I am deaf, lipreading can be natural, but like breathing, when you become self-aware, it's actually much harder to concentrate.

except that if he's asleep or drugged his powers don't work. If you can shoot a dart gun at him then he's down and so are his minions. That's why he hired a security firm.

2. Then why didn't he visually manipulate anyone when he was in the cell??

3. yeah I am deaf, lipreading can be natural, but like breathing, when you become self-aware, it's actually much harder to concentrate.
It was a hermetically sealed room

Eidan

except that if he's asleep or drugged his powers don't work. If you can shoot a dart gun at him then he's down and so are his minions.

2. Then why didn't he visually manipulate anyone when he was in the cell??

We already saw the results of the crew simply shooting him with a dart. We saw the results. Are you simply asking why they didn't do it more often? Regardless, that has nothing to do with the headphones argument. I think I've adequately explained why it is a risky tactic. I think some of you would only be more satisfied if there was a throwaway line from the characters acknowledging it.

2. He couldn't visually manipulate him because of the room he was in. They made a pretty big deal about it, remember?

3. Honestly, in a high stakes situation where you want to purposefully not interpret what someone is saying, I can easily see how someone could do it more easily.

aku:jiki

2) If he gives you a visual cue, and you can understand what it means, there wouldn't be any ignoring it.
4) Ok.
Are you bringing comics knowledge into this or are you just making points 2 and 3 up? The show never says or implies
that, apparently, Kilgrave can control you with anything he does. The show clearly shows that he has to give voice commands. At the end, and for some unexplained reason, Jessica suddenly knows that Kilgrave has leveled up and that his power now works through walls and so on, but there is no explanation for why she knows this.

The point isn't wether or not the trick works, since it doesn't, the point is that they thought we wouldn't think of it and saved the idea for the last-ditch, do-or-die climactic finale. That's not even going into the fact that apparently
his virus changes into a telepathic power for no discernable reason? What? Actually, that reminds me... This means that the headphones would've worked for sure before he leveled up, so it makes it even more stupid that they didn't try it.

I think some of you would only be more satisfied if there was a throwaway line from the characters acknowledging it.
That is exactly what I'm saying, yes. Are you arguing that this quick, 2-second line would somehow had been bad for the show?

raphier

Banned
We already saw the results of the crew simply shooting him with a dart. We saw the results. Are you simply asking why they didn't do it more often? Regardless, that has nothing to do with the headphones argument. I think I've adequately explained why it is a risky tactic. I think some of you would only be more satisfied if there was a throwaway line from the characters acknowledging it.

2. He couldn't visually manipulate him because of the room he was in. They made a pretty big deal about it, remember?

3. Honestly, in a high stakes situation where you want to purposefully not interpret what someone is saying, I can easily see how someone could do it more easily.
that was before they learned he had hired a security detail. By that time, they had an ex-special force soldier with them, who a little earlier if I recall correctly suggested to take Kilgrave out with sniper rifle.If we're going to speak about high risk tactic, then we should be speaking about the most logical tactics too, which are in your benefit instead. You keep distance and you shoot him from afar once you've located him. They had all the requirements to assess and perform this task. Twice. Or in this case use headphones, try preservation unstead.

Eidan

Are you bringing comics knowledge into this or are you just making points 2 and 3 up? The show never says or implies
that, apparently, Kilgrave can control you with anything he does. The show clearly shows that he has to give voice commands. At the end, and for some unexplained reason, Jessica suddenly knows that Kilgrave has leveled up and that his power now works through walls and so on, but there is no explanation for why she knows this.

Kilgrave's father outright says to not look at him, implying that visual cues can work. And that's not a particularly shocking point.

Also, I'm pretty sure that there is an extended scene where Jessica deduces that his powers are becoming stronger due to his control during the concert venue, and is further backed by his control in the hospital.

That is exactly what I'm saying, yes. Are you arguing that this quick, 2-second line would somehow had been bad for the show?

I'm saying that if your complaint could be satisfied with a sentence, your complaint wasn't that big of a deal to begin with.

Top Bottom